Aveda Tips....

honeybadgirl said:
:lachen: you think so? i take it you dont like the smell. mix it with the serum. i love the way almost all the aveda products smell:grin:

It's nice, but I usually like to smell like a girl and this stuff is having a funny effect on me. Everytime I get a whiff of it I picture LL lickin' his lips at me. :drool:

But I have to try mixing it because my hair LOVES IT!

HoneyDew said:
Yes! I was very surprised by that actually.

We were looking for hotels out of town and saw one little boutique hotel had Aveda products in the rooms. I was like :D . They had little mini Shampure in the bathrooms.

I tried them for 4 shampoos when I got home and I was like :eek: My hair liked them! Normally if I go 2 shampoos w/o my Kenra Chelating my hair starts TRIPPIN'. But it did well with the shampure and I do buy it now after that experience.

:lachen: @ your hair trippin' ; been there. Mine's been showing out since takedown. Anyway, I used that styling creme last night and whoa :eek:. My hair airdried so smooth that I could comb through it! That just doesn't happen. My hair is texturized so really it shouldn't happen. :ohwell:

Ya'll couldn't told a sista. :nono: :look::D

Last edited:
divinefavor said:
I'm relaxed and I use the Elixir. The verdict is still out on it for me though, because I have dominican leave-ins that work better. But, I'm trying to stick with using as many Aveda products in my regimen as possible. I've found that if I use a little bit of the Elixir, my hair turns out great!

For real. Man, I wish. I have use a good handful of this stuff to make my hair act right. (Wet hair that is.) Are you using yours wet or day.

What Dominican products did you discover to be just as good or better than the Elixir? I love my Elixir and the thought of not being able to get it scares me.:perplexed

I use the Elixir on wet hair. The Domincan leave in that I use is Lacio Lacio. But for some reason my hair hasn't been reacting to that as well anymore. My hair is acting very strange these days.

sareca said:
It's nice, but I usually like to smell like a girl and this stuff is having a funny effect on me. Everytime I get a whiff of it I picture LL lickin' his lips at me. :drool:

But I have to try mixing it because my hair LOVES IT!

:lachen: @ your hair trippin' ; been there. Mine's been showing out since takedown. Anyway, I used that styling creme last night and whoa :eek:. My hair airdried so smooth that I could comb through it! That just doesn't happen. My hair is texturized so really it shouldn't happen. :ohwell:

Ya'll couldn't told a sista. :nono: :look::D

i told ya!!!!:D

This is a really great thread ...thanks ladies ... I've learned so much. Now it's time to whip out the debit card and do some damage :lol: .

Chayil

chayil0427 said:
This is a really great thread ...thanks ladies ... I've learned so much. Now it's time to whip out the debit card and do some damage :lol: .

Chayil

Leave some for me cause I'm right behind ya!!

I bought and tried the Be Curly, based on posts here, and it worked great. The curls were more defined and not as frizzy.

I now need to know which will be great for straightening. I am now using the Design Essentials Moisture Retention set for the straightening.

I even am trying the baggy thing on my freshly pressed hair tonight.

Thanks for your tips, keep 'em coming.

ebonyhall1999 said:
I bought and tried the Be Curly, based on posts here, and it worked great. The curls were more defined and not as frizzy.

I now need to know which will be great for straightening. I am now using the Design Essentials Moisture Retention set for the straightening.

I even am trying the baggy thing on my freshly pressed hair tonight.

Thanks for your tips, keep 'em coming.

aveda has a product called "hang straight" i believe the name is but i havent tried it yet. i keep saying i will and perhaps in the near future i will get some. i'm usually ok using the elixir leave in and anti-humecant. which since i mentioned it, i did see, while at the aveda institute yesterday, students putting the anti humecant on wet hair prior to blow drying JUST LIKE MENTIONED IN THIS THREAD!!:grin:
i will definitely do this the next time i shampoo my hair.
so maybe someone will come along on this thread with an absolute helpful response to your question:) i would like to know also

i just thought i'd add this info that i got from the aveda website to this thread. btw, i wore my hair out today and i was thinking it just feels so nice and was wondering what i did differently. it usually looks and feels nice when i wear it out but it looks waaaaay more professional and i remembered.....i used the DR shampoo. Love it! however, i ordered the S.I. line and am anxiously awaiting for the delivery!!!! i'm in love already! ok so here are some tips from an aveda expert:

TIPS FOR SMOOTH HAIR-AVEDA
1. Start clean
Always begin with freshly washed hair. This is especially important if you want your sleek/smooth blow-out to last for several days. Start with the right shampoo and conditioner. Aveda Smooth Infusionâ„¢ Shampoo and Conditioner cleanses and conditions to create a perfect foundation for smooth sleek hairstyles.
2. Protect hair from heat
Always blot wet hair with a towel to remove excess moisture. Don't rub—it creates frizz. Spray Brilliant™ Damage Control™ on damp hair to detangle, reduce breakage and protect from thermal damage.
3. Apply before you dry
Always use a styling product before blow-drying your hair. Apply small amount of Light Elementsâ„¢ Smoothing Fluid evenly from roots to ends to weightlessly smooth hair.
4. Quick dry
To shorten the time it takes to dry your hair, “rough-dry” it using only your hands. Use this technique until hair is about 80% dry.
5. Divide and conquer
Use clips to section hair off into small, manageable sections. Each section of hair should be no larger than the width of the brush you are using. By blow-drying hair section-by-section you ensure a nice, smooth and consistent blow-dry.
6. Give frizz the brush-off
Using an Aveda Wooden Styling Brush and a blow-dryer with a nozzle attachment on high-heat, direct the nozzle downward starting at the top of the section all the way to the ends. This helps smooth the cuticle down, while eliminating frizz. Continue this technique section by section.
7. Cool it
When hair is 100% dry, use cool air to set. This closes the hair's cuticle and ensures your smooth blow-dry will last longer.
8. Finish what you start
Always apply a finishing product on hair before flat ironing for added slip, shine and heat protection. Run small amount of Light Elementsâ„¢ Smoothing Fluid through hair and follow section by section with flat-iron heat.
9. Keep it dry
If you want to finish your hair with hair spray, make sure you use a very dry spray so that the hair does not get wet and revert to unwanted curl/wave. Aveda's Air Controlâ„¢ Hair Spray features a water-free formula that sprays on dry, provides light/flexible hold and helps protect hair from humidity.
10. Sleep on it
In order to help extend the life of your blow dry, it helps to sleep on a silk pillow case or wrap your hair in a silk scarf before bed. This keeps the hair from rubbing up on the pillowcase and causing frizz.
more stubborn hair textures.

Last edited:
1. aveda: What is your philosophy on hair?
AR: My goal as a hairdresser is to always make my clients feel beautiful. I love my job because I get to make people feel good. I am always trying to stay ahead of the trends and latest techniques so that I am able to deliver the best results to my guests.
2. aveda: If you could give women one tip for smoothing their hair, what would it be?
AR: I think it is critical for women to take the initiative and schedule an appointment with their hairdresser to learn how to style hair at home. I do this for several of my clients, and they walk away knowing what products to use, how to use them and how to properly blow-dry and flat iron their hair so it looks like they just stepped out of the salon.
3. aveda: What is the biggest mistake woman make when trying to straighten their hair?
I'd say the biggest mistake is not knowing where to start. More often than not I see my clients not using the appropriate product, or the wrong brush, or an ineffective blow-dryer. The investment in professional tools and products and knowing how to use them together makes a major difference in being able to re-create salon hair at home.
4. aveda: What is the best brush for straightening/smoothing out hair?
AR: It really depends on the length of hair you are working with. For shorter hair, I would recommend the Aveda Wooden Style Brush, for medium hair a Large Aveda Ceramic Round Brush and for longer lengths I would use a Jumbo Ceramic Round Brush. In addition to your brush, make sure you invest in a quality blow-dryer and spend time with your stylist learning the proper technique for blow-drying your hair straight. Technique is everything.
5. aveda: What styling finishing products do you typically use to straighten/smooth your clients' hair?
AR: It really depends on the texture of hair I'm blowing-out. On my guests with fine-to-medium hair I use Light Elementsâ„¢ Smoothing Fluid. This product is really light and leaves the hair smooth, but with lots of movement and shine. On a more medium-to-coarse textured client I would most likely use Hang Straightâ„¢, which has a bit more weight to and helps smooth more stubborn hair textures.
6. aveda: You've been a stylist at several NYC Fashion Week shows. What are some of the models' primary hair concerns and how do you address them?
AR: These models are getting extensions and having their hair teased, ironed, and blown-out 3-4 times a day depending on how many shows they're in. All of this wear and tear on the hair definitely takes its toll. To keep the hair looking healthy, I apply Brilliantâ„¢ Damage Controlâ„¢ religiously on damp hair before blow-drying to help protect from thermal damage and breakage. I also recommend they take home Damage Remedyâ„¢ Shampoo, Conditioner and Treatment to use in between shows. It really makes a difference!

1. aveda: How would you recommend a woman go about finding a new hairdresser?
AR: When you're out shopping or dining at a restaurant, wherever you may be, keep your eyes open for woman with similar hair textures and a style you really like. Go up to them and ask them where they get their hair done. Contact the salon they refer you to and make an appointment for a consultation.
2. aveda: How many chances should a woman give a hairdresser before moving onto the next one?
AR: Women should give hairdressers one shot. If she loved the overall experience and there were just a couple of minor things she didn't care for, the best thing for her to do is immediately address them with the hairdresser. What a woman should not do is jump around from hairdresser to hairdresser. If you have too many cooks in the kitchen, you often end up with a big mess. And trust me, having worked in this business for over 15 years, I've definitely cleaned up my share of messes.
3. aveda: What hair trends are you seeing from this past season at Fashion Week?
AR: I'm definitely seeing a lot of smooth/sleek hair with movement and shine. Hair that looks really natural and healthy, which is why the introduction of Aveda's new Smooth Infusionâ„¢ couldn't be more timely.
4. aveda: What do you think the next big trend in hair will be?
AR: I think in seasons past it's been all about short hair. Woman have been wearing lots of textured bobs and shoulder-length styles. I think women will start wearing their hair long again. They will move away from being so chemically dependent on relaxers and color and will start embracing their natural texture and color. I predict it's going to be all about long, natural, healthy hair.

honeybadgirl said:
aveda has a product called "hang straight" i believe the name is but i havent tried it yet. i keep saying i will and perhaps in the near future i will get some. i'm usually ok using the elixir leave in and anti-humecant. which since i mentioned it, i did see, while at the aveda institute yesterday, students putting the anti humecant on wet hair prior to blow drying JUST LIKE MENTIONED IN THIS THREAD!!:grin:
i will definitely do this the next time i shampoo my hair.
so maybe someone will come along on this thread with an absolute helpful response to your question:) i would like to know also
ah ha! thats what the aveda stylist used on my hair prior to flat ironing...a very small amount of hang staright and then a tiny amount of antihumectatnt for my edges...and then she used a very light holding spray to finish

Ayeshia said:
ah ha! thats what the aveda stylist used on my hair prior to flat ironing...a very small amount of hang staright and then a tiny amount of antihumectatnt for my edges...and then she used a very light holding spray to finish

your hair looks great ayeshia!!! i am trying to try the hang straight!!!:p

honeybadgirl said:
your hair looks great ayeshia!!! i am trying to try the hang straight!!!:p

HBG I finally tried the hang straight last week. I used it along with the brilliant serum for my rollerset. It left my hair light moisturized and soft. This will replace giovanni direct leave in. I finally have a solid Aveda regimen! I hope you like it too!!

OO remember you only need a little & I always put most of any leave in on the last couple inches of my hair. This helps eliminate weighing my hair down. My hair is fine so it' doesn't take much....

I'm going to do a relaxer this week. I was wondering has anyone used the DR line as part of their relaxer regimen. I was thinking.........
apply relaxer
rinse
apply the intensive treatment for 10-15 min
poo with neutralizing poo
poo with DR poo
condition with DR conditioner mixed with DR intensive conditioner

i dont relax but that sounds like a good plan though. although i would NOT mix the intensive with the moisturizing conditioner at the end. it just sounds like overkill since you're going to use it prior to the poo. no need to waste that good product!!:grin:

honeybadgirl said:
i dont relax but that sounds like a good plan though. although i would NOT mix the intensive with the moisturizing conditioner at the end. it just sounds like overkill since you're going to use it prior to the poo. no need to waste that good product!!:grin:

I will try this!! Thanks! I'm excited to see how my hair responds.

Ayeshia said:

Ayeshia, you hair looks very nice, healthy and shiny. I'm tempted to make my Aveda salon appointment.

Honeybadgirl, thanks so much for posting the information. I will add it to my journal. I just purchased and used The Air Control Hair Spray. And it is wonderful. I've never experienced a totally dry hairspray before. It held my freshly press n' curl for 2 days.:)

pinkskates said:
Honeybadgirl, thanks so much for posting the information. I will add it to my journal. I just purchased and used The Air Control Hair Spray. And it is wonderful. I've never experienced a totally dry hairspray before. It held my freshly press n' curl for 2 days.:)

oh cool...i was just looking at that!! i was thinking about getting it:)

imstush said:
Can anyone recommend good starter products from Aveda? Thanks.:)

I just invested in the Aveda DR line -2 weeks ago(Shampoo, conditioner and intensive treatment)- I think it's a good start I have hair that tends to dry out (colour) and my hair detangles and stays moisturised for a lot longer which means I use less products especially on wash day. I use mine once a week one after the other (shampoo, condition and treatment which I use as a DC for about 30 mins). I think when I run out rather than buying the conditioner I'll get the Sap Moss instead HTH.:)

hothair said:
I just invested in the Aveda DR line -2 weeks ago(Shampoo, conditioner and intensive treatment)- I think it's a good start I have hair that tends to dry out (colour) and my hair detangles and stays moisturised for a lot longer which means I use less products especially on wash day. I use mine once a week one after the other (shampoo, condition and treatment which I use as a DC for about 30 mins). I think when I run out rather than buying the conditioner I'll get the Sap Moss instead HTH.:)

Thank you!

i agree, i think the DR line would be good for you to start with. i use a combo of sap moss poo and the brilliant conditioner but sampled the DR poo and conditioner and i love it. HOWEVER, i'm switching to the new smooth infusions line. i'm waiting on the delivery of it but i think i'm going to love it. :D i would recommend that to start out with but i havent officially tried it yet:)

Back