Aveda Tips....

I use the Elixir mixed with the Be Curly for a moisturized curly look. They are discontinuing the Elixir so I have NO CLUE what I am going to use in its place.

I used to have the Brilliant Serum a long long long time ago and never thought to mix with the Universal Styling Cream (USC) for shine. In the past the cream never really did much for me.

I am going to Origins today for a facial so I will stop by Aveda to check them out and see if they have sample sizes I can try. I am still not completely sold on the Sap Moss shampoo and conditioner though.

CurleeDST said:
I use the Elixir mixed with the Be Curly for a moisturized curly look. They are discontinuing the Elixir so I have NO CLUE what I am going to use in its place.

I used to have the Brilliant Serum a long long long time ago and never thought to mix with the Universal Styling Cream (USC) for shine. In the past the cream never really did much for me.

I am going to Origins today for a facial so I will stop by Aveda to check them out and see if they have sample sizes I can try. I am still not completely sold on the Sap Moss shampoo and conditioner though.

ooooooooooh!! i have to go to origins again too but have you smelled paradise found???? i love love love that stuff!!! it make me smile every time i put it on...yummy.

oh yeah...and thank for your tip. i have to try that mixture of elixir and be curly. i did ask the sales rep at aveda about if the elixir was being discontinued and she was not absolutely sure and said i should call the company. she had heard customers saying that but she didnt hear anything about it. i hope not! i just started using it in a spray bottle with amla oil and distilled water. it totally worked the tangles out. i had no problems combing out. i use it as a daily mist. oh i guess thats another tip huh:grin:

Last edited:
You know I went to the Aveda site and it said it on there months ago they were discontinuing the Aveda Elixir. Funny I have a medium sized and a very big bottle of the stuff so I am set for at least another 12 months of regular use. I also have 2 things of Be Curly - what the heck was I thinking? :lol:

Anywho it works for me and does better by me in the summer time. I do plan on purchasing more Aveda Humectant Pomade but I am tempted to order more from eBay since I can get 2 for $27 bucks on there, brand new containers.

CurleeDST said:
You know I went to the Aveda site and it said it on there months ago they were discontinuing the Aveda Elixir. Funny I have a medium sized and a very big bottle of the stuff so I am set for at least another 12 months of regular use. I also have 2 things of Be Curly - what the heck was I thinking? :lol:

Anywho it works for me and does better by me in the summer time. I do plan on purchasing more Aveda Humectant Pomade but I am tempted to order more from eBay since I can get 2 for $27 bucks on there, brand new containers.

thats what i'm talking about....2 for 1. thats how i got mine.:grin:
i have a big bottle of elixir but if they are shutting down, i want some more!!!!
maybe while you're at aveda today you can get some more tips.....:)

Yeah I will do that and talk to the lady/man in there to see what the deal is with Elixir. I do remember the site said it was discontinued b/c you can't even find it out on there now.

I do get coupons for FREE items of Be Curly (I get 2 coupons in the mail one with my maiden name, one with my married name) and they always let me redeem them.

I get free coupons for my birthday of their custom scented lotions, shampoos, etc. You have to go in with the actual coupon though which is a pain b/c my husband threw away my latest ONE!! GRRRR!

I love getting free stuff from them. That is how I tried the DR line. It was ok but gave it away last April to a young lady with a relaxer with waist length hair b/c it felt a little dry.

I also have the Aveda card and am accumulating Aveda Priviledge points which I can redeem for more free products! Gotta love it!

Ok called Aveda and the woman on the phone informed me of the following:

1. The aveda elixir IS discontinued - they are thinking about bringing it back b/c they now realize a little goes a long way which is why sales were not as high as they expected. People were still using their bottles

2. National double points days are May 11 - May 13 means for every purchase made on that day you get DOUBLE POINTS which you can redeem on the Aveda Pure Priviledge site

3. She could not mail out another birthday coupon but she is sending me a scented candle plus a double points certificate so if I buy products TODAY once I get my certificate, I can go back and get double points on the purchases! Yahooo!!!!

Gotta love it!

CurleeDST said:
Ok called Aveda and the woman on the phone informed me of the following:

1. The aveda elixir IS discontinued - they are thinking about bringing it back b/c they now realize a little goes a long way which is why sales were not as high as they expected. People were still using their bottles

2. National double points days are May 11 - May 13 means for every purchase made on that day you get DOUBLE POINTS which you can redeem on the Aveda Pure Priviledge site

3. She could not mail out another birthday coupon but she is sending me a scented candle plus a double points certificate so if I buy products TODAY once I get my certificate, I can go back and get double points on the purchases! Yahooo!!!!

Gotta love it!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: wow wow wow!!!! thanks Curlee!!!
you got alot of good info today!!! i do hope they bring the elixir back
wooo hooooo:clap: :woot:

I use the anti humectant when I wear my hair straight and the humectant when I need moisture on my curls when my hair is curly. people get these pomades mixed up sometimes but the humectant seals in the curl/moisture

Thanks CurleeDST!

MissScarlett - I'm going to have to try the anti-humectant. Do you still get the swinging/bouncy effect when using the anti-humectant?

divinefavor said:
Thanks CurleeDST!

MissScarlett - I'm going to have to try the anti-humectant. Do you still get the swinging/bouncy effect when using the anti-humectant?

Yeah but as with all aveda products A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY, if you use to much it could weigh your head down or make it greasy.

curleedst: I get all of my aveda products off ebay, that's the cheapest place to get them!

MissScarlett said:
I use the anti humectant when I wear my hair straight and the humectant when I need moisture on my curls when my hair is curly. people get these pomades mixed up sometimes but the humectant seals in the curl/moisture

You are right. I think a lot of people get them mixed up. Now I just use what my hair likes better. With that being said, I use the Humectant (all blue bottle). The sales rep said the Humectant is if you want curls and the Anti-Humectant is when you wear it straight. She tried to push the Anti-Humectant on me but the Humectant does better with my hair.

Letitia said:
You are right. I think a lot of people get them mixed up. Now I just use what my hair likes better. With that being said, I use the Humectant (all blue bottle). The sales rep said the Humectant is if you want curls and the Anti-Humectant is when you wear it straight. She tried to push the Anti-Humectant on me but the Humectant does better with my hair.

so you use the humectant on your straight styles? how does that work? do you get frizzies or does it lock in moisture and lock out frizzies, i was going to try switching the pomades out but I fear frizz:confused:

So true, eBay is a great way to get Aveda products at a discount. As long as you aren't needing the product like today, should be ok. I like the fact I accrue credits with my Aveda card so I can get some additional stuff as well. I only have about 600 points on it though so I have a way to go before even hitting tier 1 which is 1500 points but eventually I will get there. The stuff I want is Tier 3 and above anyway.

You are so right, with Aveda a little goes a long way which is why these products cost a lot (at least it seems) but if you are still nursing the same product bottle a year later then it is well worth it. I mean people are going through 2 bottles of Suave a week. If each bottle only cost you $1 that's over $100 in a year! Aveda products don't cost that much and 1 bottle can last you that long. It is worth the money.

MissScarlett said:
Yeah but as with all aveda products A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY, if you use to much it could weigh your head down or make it greasy.

curleedst: I get all of my aveda products off ebay, that's the cheapest place to get them!

Thanks ma'am. Those 2 products combined really produce nice results on my hair. Unfortunately I cut all that hair off last September! Starting over is a pain! LOL

MissScarlett said:
WOW your hair....you're so pretty! and a beautiful family!

CurleeDST said:
So true, eBay is a great way to get Aveda products at a discount. As long as you aren't needing the product like today, should be ok. I like the fact I accrue credits with my Aveda card so I can get some additional stuff as well. I only have about 600 points on it though so I have a way to go before even hitting tier 1 which is 1500 points but eventually I will get there. The stuff I want is Tier 3 and above anyway.

You are so right, with Aveda a little goes a long way which is why these products cost a lot (at least it seems) but if you are still nursing the same product bottle a year later then it is well worth it. I mean people are going through 2 bottles of Suave a week. If each bottle only cost you $1 that's over $100 in a year! Aveda products don't cost that much and 1 bottle can last you that long. It is worth the money.

i second that, a little goes a very looooooong way!!!!:grin:

MissScarlett said:
so you use the humectant on your straight styles? how does that work? do you get frizzies or does it lock in moisture and lock out frizzies, i was going to try switching the pomades out but I fear frizz:confused:

Yes, my hair is in a bun or updo about 95% of the time. It works really really well. I dont have the frizzies like I do without it. I think because it locking in the moisture the frizzies can't act out on me! I ordered this product off Ebay. (2 for about $32.00) I picked up the serum in the store and didnt want to give them a full 40.00 at one punch. *They came pretty quick in the mail also.

Hi All,
I just joined the forum and can't seem to find an introductions thread. Anyway I love to talk hair and am glad to be here. :)

I wear locs and the Shampure and Sap Moss shampoos have worked great for me.

I have used Sap Moss shampoo instead of conditioner. (i.e. Shampoo with shampure then shampoo with the sap moss conditioner). This also works well for ppl wearing braids or twists.

Blackberry7 said:
Hi All,
I just joined the forum and can't seem to find an introductions thread. Anyway I love to talk hair and am glad to be here. :)

I wear locs and the Shampure and Sap Moss shampoos have worked great for me.

I have used Sap Moss shampoo instead of conditioner. (i.e. Shampoo with shampure then shampoo with the sap moss conditioner). This also works well for ppl wearing braids or twists.

welcome aboad blackberry:band2:

i'm sure you'll find this board very informative. i too use sap moss shampoo but with brilliant conditioner!:grin:

Letitia said:
Yes, my hair is in a bun or updo about 95% of the time. It works really really well. I dont have the frizzies like I do without it. I think because it locking in the moisture the frizzies can't act out on me! I ordered this product off Ebay. (2 for about $32.00) I picked up the serum in the store and didnt want to give them a full 40.00 at one punch. *They came pretty quick in the mail also.

Letitia are you using the humeticant pomade on wet or dry hair? I have the anti-humeticant pomade and now you have me curious.......

HoneyDew said:
I haven't tried many Aveda products, btu I can speak on the Shampure and the Universal Styling Creme. The shampure is great for those of use with hardwater, but don't really want to use a clarifying shampoo all the time. The Shampure is kinda clarifying, but not has much as some others.

The Universal Styling creme is a GREAT moisturizer for relaxed heads that want a creme that will not revert flat-ironed hair or drop any curls.

Really!? I got some of that sitting on a shelf somewhere. :think:

sareca said:
Really!? I got some of that sitting on a shelf somewhere. :think:

Really!!!! its very popular and i use it too:grin:
its very light. i hope you didnt miss the tip about mixing with brilliant serum for an extra umph in shine;)

honeybadgirl said:
so i assume you put it in (be curly) when your hair is wet? right after you conditioner? what does that do for your hair, like how does it feel, what does it do, do you see a the results/difference right away?

yes. it acts just like a leave-in and moisturizer. it makes my hair very supple and moist and it stays that way for days after my wash. i see the results after my hair air dries.

honeybadgirl said:
Really!!!! its very popular and i use it too:grin:
its very light. i hope you didnt miss the tip about mixing with brilliant serum for an extra umph in shine;)

Thanks Honey. :D Will do.

Back