Aveda Tips....

Just a quick tip about the Sap Moss Shampoo (ya'll may already know this) but if you rub the shampoo between your palms until it turns white and then apply it to your hair you will see a major difference. One of the students at the school told me that after I asked her not to use it on my hair because I had tried it before and wasn't sold. I went home and did what she said and my hair was soft and manageable-12 wks post relaxer.
And the Anti-Humectant has been a stable with me for years. I used to pick it up at flea markets when I was in high school. Love it!

So glad I saw this thread. Last week while I was on a business trip I went into the Aveda store and the lady saw my curly hair and suggested Be Curly and Sap Moss. I didn't like the way Sap Moss smelled. :look:

Aside from MKStar using Be Curly and Firecracker using Brilliant conditioner, what other Aveda products are naturals/texlaxeds using?

I am thinking of purchasing the Brilliant shampoo, conditioner and serum and UC just to start.

reallynow said:
Just a quick tip about the Sap Moss Shampoo (ya'll may already know this) but if you rub the shampoo between your palms until it turns white and then apply it to your hair you will see a major difference. One of the students at the school told me that after I asked her not to use it on my hair because I had tried it before and wasn't sold. I went home and did what she said and my hair was soft and manageable-12 wks post relaxer.
And the Anti-Humectant has been a stable with me for years. I used to pick it up at flea markets when I was in high school. Love it!

i never heard of that one. what does that actually do???

cupcake said:
So glad I saw this thread. Last week while I was on a business trip I went into the Aveda store and the lady saw my curly hair and suggested Be Curly and Sap Moss. I didn't like the way Sap Moss smelled. :look:

Aside from MKStar using Be Curly and Firecracker using Brilliant conditioner, what other Aveda products are naturals/texlaxeds using?

I am thinking of purchasing the Brilliant shampoo, conditioner and serum and UC just to start.

oh i love sap moss shampoo. it does seem rich. you only to use a very little bit, amazing. like i mentioned earlier i use the sap moss poo with brilliant conditioner(i'm natural and thats how my stylist recommended i use it) i also use the elixir leave in, usc, brilliant serum, as well as the brilliant damage control and the anti humectant when wearing my hair str8.

I may have posted earlier (can't remember now :lol:) but I use a little Anti-Humectant to seal in moisture on wet hair after my leave-in. It seems to work better that way. I use a little after my hair has dried too.

I usually use Aveda serum (emollient) for beautiful shine and body as a last step. A little goes a long way.:) If I remember to, I'll use it on my wet hair when doing rollersets.

I love the Sap Moss shampoo but haven't bought any yet.

I'm looking at getting the Black Malva conditioner just to see how it works and how the color works. I was told it can be mixed with the other colors too and is safe for relaxed hair. It's all natural so it works even on henna'd hair (they happen to have henna conditioner too).

Isis said:
I may have posted earlier (can't remember now :lol:) but I use a little Anti-Humectant to seal in moisture on wet hair after my leave-in. It seems to work better that way. I use a little after my hair has dried too.

I usually use Aveda serum (emollient) for beautiful shine and body as a last step. A little goes a long way.:) If I remember to, I'll use it on my wet hair when doing rollersets.

I love the Sap Moss shampoo but haven't bought any yet.

I'm looking at getting the Black Malva conditioner just to see how it works and how the color works. I was told it can be mixed with the other colors too and is safe for relaxed hair. It's all natural so it works even on henna'd hair (they happen to have henna conditioner too).

i havent tried using the anti-humectant on wet hair. thanks!
i just got the black malva and the jury is still out on that. i was shocked that when i squeezed it out it was black:eek: . that threw me and i am not sure what i am to expect from it. my hair is already dyed black and i just thought it would help keep it that way a little longer:confused: :look:
what exactly is it supposed to do??????

Really now? I did not know that - maybe that is why I wasn't completely sold on the stuff!!! I may have to try this.

I went into the Aveda store this afternoon and got a newbie. You can always tell b/c they are just 'unsure' of themselves when you ask questions. Anywho I picked up the Brillian Serum Gloss and the humectant pomade b/c I finally ran out.

I skipped past the Sap Moss b/c I was asking them for those travel size samples and they NO LONGER OFFER THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is all that about? Anyway, I did see a few bottles of Elixir on the shelf but it was the small bottle and not the large one.

I figure they will sell them all out til they are done and be done with it.

Great tips on using these Aveda products - keep'em coming!

reallynow said:

Oh funny thing - I went out of town with an Indian co-worker of mine about 3 years ago. We were in downtown Portland. During one of our breaks from the conference he and I went to an Aveda store together and he saw me buying all of these products. He ended up buying something for his body and feet.

Three years later he told me that he AND his wife (who is also from India) are now loyal Aveda customers since that time b/c he loved the body products just that much and when he brought them home she loved them too. He said they now fight over the products b/c the last person to use it up has to buy the next batch.

I didn't realize I had converted someone over to Aveda. LOL especially someone from India where I believe the concept Ayurveda was born.

nikki1971 said:
Letitia are you using the humeticant pomade on wet or dry hair? I have the anti-humeticant pomade and now you have me curious.......

I use it on both wet and dry hair. (Mostly dry) HTH:)

I use and have used the following Aveda products:

1. The Aveda Damage Remedy shampoo and regular conditioner. I love the shampoo and how it makes my hair feel, but the conditioner was just ok for my hair. I think this set suits relaxed hair more than natural. I won't be repurchasing the conditioner.

2. Aveda Sap Moss shampoo. I love this shampoo. It is really moisturizing and make my hair soft. This is a staple.

3. Shampure shampoo and conditioner. I recently bought the travel sizes. I was surprised that it left my hair soft. I've used it twice so the jury is still out. It is very concentrated.

4. Brilliant conditioner. I really like this conditioner. This has become a staple. It helps with tangles, very moisturizing and makes my hair soft and easier to manage.

5. DPHR. I use this every 2 or 3 washes. Its a restructuring conditioner. I like it too. It makes my hair stronger.

Overall, I really like Aveda products. It is expensive, but a little really does go a long way. I've had the Damage Remedy shampoo for almost 2 years.;) I can actually see a difference in my hair since using Aveda.

This thread was right on time. I am about to order some Aveda products for the first time and I did not know which products to try first but now I think I'm going with the Sapp Moss and Brilliant line. Thanks ladies.

CurleeDST said:
Really now? I did not know that - maybe that is why I wasn't completely sold on the stuff!!! I may have to try this.

I went into the Aveda store this afternoon and got a newbie. You can always tell b/c they are just 'unsure' of themselves when you ask questions. Anywho I picked up the Brillian Serum Gloss and the humectant pomade b/c I finally ran out.

I skipped past the Sap Moss b/c I was asking them for those travel size samples and they NO LONGER OFFER THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is all that about? Anyway, I did see a few bottles of Elixir on the shelf but it was the small bottle and not the large one.

I figure they will sell them all out til they are done and be done with it.

Great tips on using these Aveda products - keep'em coming!

2 thumbs up Curlee....great job!!!!!:thumbsup:
i will be going to the aveda institute and will be asking questions and taking notes this coming saturday:grin:

sareca said:
I remembered why it was under the cabinent Honey.... I thought it smelled like men's cologne. :(

:lachen: you think so? i take it you dont like the smell. mix it with the serum. i love the way almost all the aveda products smell:grin:

BrownSkin2 said:
I use and have used the following Aveda products:

1. The Aveda Damage Remedy shampoo and regular conditioner. I love the shampoo and how it makes my hair feel, but the conditioner was just ok for my hair. I think this set suits relaxed hair more than natural. I won't be repurchasing the conditioner.

2. Aveda Sap Moss shampoo. I love this shampoo. It is really moisturizing and make my hair soft. This is a staple.

3. Shampure shampoo and conditioner. I recently bought the travel sizes. I was surprised that it left my hair soft. I've used it twice so the jury is still out. It is very concentrated.

4. Brilliant conditioner. I really like this conditioner. This has become a staple. It helps with tangles, very moisturizing and makes my hair soft and easier to manage.

5. DPHR. I use this every 2 or 3 washes. Its a restructuring conditioner. I like it too. It makes my hair stronger.

Overall, I really like Aveda products. It is expensive, but a little really does go a long way. I've had the Damage Remedy shampoo for almost 2 years.;) I can actually see a difference in my hair since using Aveda.

i havent used the entire DR line but hear lots of good things about it.
the brilliant conditioner works wonders on helping me comb my hair out. its so easy now. i used to wash and condition in braids but now my hair is so soft and manageable i dont need to. the other wash i forgot to bring my comb in the shower with me:eek: . i was like oh goodness!!! but when i got out and combed my hair it was so so easy anyway. i think the brilliant damage control helps alot with tangles too!!
you are so right about a little going a very long way.

honeybadgirl said:
i havent tried using the anti-humectant on wet hair. thanks!
i just got the black malva and the jury is still out on that. i was shocked that when i squeezed it out it was black:eek: . that threw me and i am not sure what i am to expect from it. my hair is already dyed black and i just thought it would help keep it that way a little longer:confused: :look:
what exactly is it supposed to do??????

You're welcome. :)

I went and bought the Clove conditioner instead of the Black Malva. The Aveda lady said brown is the color I would want since I don't want black hair. She said the Black Malva will gradually make the hair black after each use. You may like it Honeybadgirl, it's should help keep your hair black. :yep: These are temporary colors made from plants so it's safe and natural. When you stop using it, the effects will fade.

I'm not so sure about this Clove though. I don't know of anyone who has used it. I may do some more research before I use it. Maybe I'll use on my nape first. :think:

Isis said:
You're welcome. :)

I went and bought the Clove conditioner instead of the Black Malva. The Aveda lady said brown is the color I would want since I don't want black hair. She said the Black Malva will gradually make the hair black after each use. You may like it Honeybadgirl, it's should help keep your hair black. :yep: These are temporary colors made from plants so it's safe and natural. When you stop using it, the effects will fade.

I'm not so sure about this Clove though. I don't know of anyone who has used it. I may do some more research before I use it. Maybe I'll use on my nape first. :think:

oh get out...really!!!! thank you soooooooooooooooooo much isis:)
i would love that. wow...i'm amazed right now...lol. so i'll keep it. i thought about taking it back but next time i use it i'll leave it on much longer than i did too!! thank you thank you thank you!!!

Wonderful tips! I learned that the Brilliant conditioner works well if mixed with the Brilliant Gloss.....enhances shine and sheen. Very interesting. I gotta try that. I have a corner of that conditioner left. LOL

I went through my bin under my bathroom sink and found some leftover Aveda products under there including the Be Curly Shampoo and Conditioner. Ya know - over time that stuff sort of dried my hair out. Perhaps it is my hard water. I am going to co-wash w/ the conditioner so I can use that up.

I am still on the fence w/ the Sap Moss b/c I tried it a few times before and it did absolutely nothing for me. They need to come out with something else.

Oh, I asked the Aveda rep earlier if they plan to replace the Elixir with something else and they were like ummm no. They may just reinstate it. We shall see.

CurleeDST said:
Wonderful tips! I learned that the Brilliant conditioner works well if mixed with the Brilliant Gloss.....enhances shine and sheen. Very interesting. I gotta try that. I have a corner of that conditioner left. LOL

I went through my bin under my bathroom sink and found some leftover Aveda products under there including the Be Curly Shampoo and Conditioner. Ya know - over time that stuff sort of dried my hair out. Perhaps it is my hard water. I am going to co-wash w/ the conditioner so I can use that up.

I am still on the fence w/ the Sap Moss b/c I tried it a few times before and it did absolutely nothing for me. They need to come out with something else.

Oh, I asked the Aveda rep earlier if they plan to replace the Elixir with something else and they were like ummm no. They may just reinstate it. We shall see.

wow Curlee!! so you mean if you mix the brilliant condtioner with the brilliant serum it makes glossier hair?? because you know i will be trying that:grin:

Oh wait, not the Brilliant conditioner, the Universal Styling Creme. My bad. :perplexed

honeybadgirl said:
wow Curlee!! so you mean if you mix the brilliant condtioner with the brilliant serum it makes glossier hair?? because you know i will be trying that:grin:

How are you all that are having good results with the Elixir applying it? I heard so many good things about it that I gave in to my inner pj and got some but it doesn't work so well for me.:( I've used it twice a couple of months ago and it just made my hair kind of hard and sticky. I had to re-wash my hair the last time I used it because I couldn't comb it (I did use quite a bit). I'm relaxed but is it better for naturals? Or am I just using too much?

nelli711 said:
When I first used the sap moss concentrate on damp hair before I shampoo, I thought it was okay but I found that it works better for me when I clarify my hair first because it helps replenish the moisture I lost when I stripped my hair from the clarifying shampoo. What I do is clarify, apply the sap moss concentrate and let it sit for about 5 minutes and then I wash it out with Aveda DR shampoo.

Thanks for the tip. I have the sap moss concentrate, I will try and use it after clarifying. Do you think I could use it after washing out a relaxer? Or do you need a deep conditioner.

scoobygirl said:
How are you all that are having good results with the Elixir applying it? I heard so many good things about it that I gave in to my inner pj and got some but it doesn't work so well for me.:( I've used it twice a couple of months ago and it just made my hair kind of hard and sticky. I had to re-wash my hair the last time I used it because I couldn't comb it (I did use quite a bit). I'm relaxed but is it better for naturals? Or am I just using too much?

I'm relaxed and I use the Elixir. The verdict is still out on it for me though, because I have dominican leave-ins that work better. But, I'm trying to stick with using as many Aveda products in my regimen as possible. I've found that if I use a little bit of the Elixir, my hair turns out great!

ritzbitz78 said:
Thanks for the tip. I have the sap moss concentrate, I will try and use it after clarifying. Do you think I could use it after washing out a relaxer? Or do you need a deep conditioner.

You're welcome:). I would stick to a deep conditioner after relaxing rather than use the concentrate.

divinefavor said:
I'm relaxed and I use the Elixir. The verdict is still out on it for me though, because I have dominican leave-ins that work better. But, I'm trying to stick with using as many Aveda products in my regimen as possible. I've found that if I use a little bit of the Elixir, my hair turns out great!

yes, exactly. i was going to say a little is much better. i only use about a pea size or maybe about the size of an almond:grin:

honeybadgirl said:
i never heard of that one. what does that actually do???

I guess emolsifying (sp) the shampoo releases extra moisture??? Not sure but the difference in the softness of my hair was pretty extreme from when I just used the shampoo with out making it white first.

sareca said:
Really!? I got some of that sitting on a shelf somewhere. :think:

Yes! I was very surprised by that actually.

We were looking for hotels out of town and saw one little boutique hotel had Aveda products in the rooms. I was like :D . They had little mini Shampure in the bathrooms.

I tried them for 4 shampoos when I got home and I was like :eek: My hair liked them! Normally if I go 2 shampoos w/o my Kenra Chelating my hair starts TRIPPIN'. But it did well with the shampure and I do buy it now after that experience.

Back