**August Hits & Misses**

I don't try many new products, this will make #2 this year. Shed No More normalizing shampoo (works great and we like it) I got for my 79 yo mom but I always try stuff on me first before putting it on her head.:grin: Only trouble is, I've yet to find any information on the manufacturer besides the sales ads in the online beauty supply stores. :nono:

HIT

Creme of Nature Argan Oil Moisture & Shine Shampoo - like this better than the old formula. Loved the detangling properties of the old version but it'd always leave my hair feeling coated and scalp a little weird. Mom will be getting shampooed with this from now on.

On the fence - Creme of Nature Argan Oil Intensive Conditioning Treatment. Def. helps soften and moisturize hair as a pre-poo. Makes getting those 1-2 week old braid-out tangles out alot easier.

Revisited Hits:
Hair Trigger Growth Elixir
Hairveda Conditioners for Summer Time Cowashes
Hairveda Sitrinillah
Alter Ego Garlic Conditioner

New Hit:
Overnight "Soaks" & Cowashing in the a.m. Thanks Brownie518 :grin:

Hit:
revisited good old olive oil

Miss:
molasses treatment (drying? difficult to rinse out and a glued mess. maybe I used too much lol.)

^^^^Yeah, I was one of the ones who raved about Curly Magic. I'm natural 4B/C and this was the only gel that maintained a braid out for more than 1/2 a day. So I love it for that. But in this Florida humidity, it would eventually shrink and frizz up and turn back into a 'fro.

I've tried so many gels and curl creams that it's maddening. Nothing worked at maintaining a braid-out/twist out all day 'til I tried hydroquenchsystems.com Puttyful The Anti-gel. This stuff keeps my hair stretch, elongated and maintains the braid-pattern ALL day. Even in rain/humidity. I just finished an 8oz. jar and am waiting on several jars I ordered from her. Received an etsy convo from her this morning that she's shipping all 3 of my orders Monday.....Yeah!!! Gotta love her 30% off and 50% off sales!! Great customer service, too!

In the meantime, though, I'll use Curly Magic!! It's my #2 go-to gel product.

HITS:
hydroquenchsystems.com Puttyful Anti-Gel
unclefunkysdaughter.com Curly Magic (not so great during Summer months, though)

MISSES:
curljunkie.com Pattern Pusha. Braid-out/twist-out only lasts a few hours; then my hair turns back into a frizzy, shrunken 'fro. Thought I had found a holy-grail when I 1st began using it 'cause no other gel/curl cream would maintain my style for more than an hour. But, alas, Summer came and it wasn't a holy-grail anymore.

Qhemet Biologics Honey bush tea soft gel. Does nothing for my hair. Does not give me a defined style nor maintain it. Great for DHs 3B/C hair. Curls and elongation all day long.

Jane Carter Solution curl defining cream - Does not style or maintain a style (braid-out/twist-out). Works great on DH's 3B/C hair. Curls and elongation all day long.

shescentit.com - Macadamia Fixing Gel - If the humdity is low, it'll maintain a style 5 or 6 hours. But, by the end of the day, my hair is a shrunken 'fro.

Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding - Forget about it!

Miss Jessie's Stretch Silkening Creme - Forget about it!

You have peaked my interest in this Puttyful The Anti-gel... I wonder how it would work for a WNG, I have 4B/C hair too.. I know what you mean about the un-intended shrunken fro! :lol:

ETA: I'm might break down and get some of this! :yep:

Last edited:
yes AtlantaJJ do try the Puttyful.

I should say my hair is 4C/B. 3" from my nape up is 4B. The rest is 4C. That's why I don't do WNGs or Shingling. It doesn't work for me.

But I'm interested if this would work with a WNG and prevent the hair from shrinking as the day wears on. The humidity in Florida is no joke and Puttyful seems to prevent much shrinkage.

The month long 50% off sale is an opportune time to try it and if you like it get more to stock up. I'm glad I had purchased the 8oz. jar during her Summer 50% off sale in May. The was suppose to have ended June 5, but she honored the 50% off when I made my purchase June 16.

Pompous Blue said:
yes AtlantaJJ do try the Puttyful.

I should say my hair is 4C/B. 3" from my nape up is 4B. The rest is 4C. That's why I don't do WNGs or Shingling. It doesn't work for me.

But I'm interested if this would work with a WNG and prevent the hair from shrinking as the day wears on. The humidity in Florida is no joke and Puttyful seems to prevent much shrinkage.

The month long 50% off sale is an opportune time to try it and if you like it get more to stock up. I'm glad I had purchased the 8oz. jar during her Summer 50% off sale in May. The was suppose to have ended June 5, but she honored the 50% off when I made my purchase June 16.

The sale is for all of August? If so I am getting some! You like any of her other products?

Sent from my iPad 3 using LHCF

Miss: Flat twistout...ick. looks like Shirley Temple curls..

Sent from my 4G Thunderbolt using LHCF app

*shame* I can't help it Ms.T. It is so mesmerizing.....they just go uuuppp and dooowwwnnn and to the siiidddeeee. LOL.

The sale is for all of August? If so I am getting some! You like any of her other products?

Sent from my iPad 3 using LHCF
@AtlantaJJ YES! All of August!!!

I like her coconut lime cleansing condiitoner. Of course it is not in the same class as CJ Daily Fix, Deva Curl No Poo, Darcy's cleansing conditioner or shescentit.com's honey rinse conditioner. These are my favorite CCs. But her coconut lime CC is adequate and cheaper at 50% off.

Someone asked up-thread if you have to use more of this cleansing conditioner than others and I say yes, in order to get the job done. So that's a consideration on whether to buy it or not.

I used the 4oz. sample of the Strawberry cleansing protein-free conditioner. I used it to wash out my henna. It wasn't enough to do the job, but I like the way my hair felt. So I ordered the 16 oz. to really give it a test-run.

I, also, like her greaseless moisture. It's working fine for Summer but since it's so light-weight I think I won't be able to use it in the Winter.

I didn't want to try any of the deep conditioners 'cause I got enough of those and nothing in the ingredients stood out for me.

I'm still learning to use the 5-day moisture (I'm too heavy-handed). Probably will pull it back out in the Winter.

HTH

gorgeoushair

sorry for the late response!
terressentials is a mud wash detox/no conditioner needed...thing...lol and whipfinity is a shea based butter with carrier and essential oils. It's from the company, Land of Pure!

HUGE MISS: Giovanni L.A. natural styling gel. (For a WNG)
I don't think I've ever smelled such a strong herbal scent. It's just too much...even my precious Darcy's Pumpkin Seed isn't covering it. The hold is soft, and it does a moderate job of controlling frizz. My hair feels like it has a residue on it though..and I see a little bit of flaking in some spots. I don't even know if I'll even keep this to slick back my buns :nono:

Tea rinsing
Silken child detangler
AV moringa detangler
ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo

Last edited:
Hit

Jane Carter Curl Cream on my boys hair - Keeps their hair in place, and doesn't dry their hair out. Keeps my sons hair in waves, instead of curling up (he needs a cut this Friday).

Miss

Buns - Hair isn't long enough yet, and I didn't like all the tension on my hair. Will continue lusting after thick buns till I can achieve one. Till then it's WnG's FTW!

miss:
Ecostyler play and stay seeweed edge and style control
comes in a big container for a cheap price. works great at first. nice smell and awesome slicking power but it wears off into a pubble of oil like any other edge productive tried. i may revisit in the wintertime.

beautiful textures curl control defining pudding
does nothing for curl definition although i find it good for softening up the crunch of a hard holding gel. smell is like old fruit.not spoiled but just old.... im not a fan of the smell but it is tolerable.oily residue when dried on hair.

MISS: One n Only Argan Oil Restorative Mask or whatever the name is. The perfume smell lingered for so long and it made me sick to my stomach,...

It intensified when I dried my hair. :-( but it made my hair feel so good!!!

Hits

Orofluido Conditioner
Orofluido Elixir

Miss

Relying on co-washing. My hair needs shampoo...changing up the reggie

miss
Creme of nature argan oil shampoo

if this is what people refer to as a "moisturizing and detangling" im scared to think about what their hair feels like when dry. this stripped my hair and made it tangly and hard. it did not smell great but not horrible either. other than the pretty packaging this stuff was craptastic. im mad i got sucked into the hype for this. i never liked the original CON formulations so i dont know why i was so eager to try another shampoo from this line.

Hit: Wen 613. Great conditioning cleanser that makes your hair feel clean. Dries very soft. Stays touchably soft and moist until next wash.

Miss: Wen 613. Did not perform as a triple purpose product (wash, DC, leave-in). Hair felt coated when used as a leave in and as a DC my hair just felt clean and had no real slip. I did use DuoTex after cleansing and my hair felt like silk. For conditioning, I just used another brand and the results felt pretty good on rinse out. Lastly, I used a different leave in and did not note any strange or negative product interaction. Hair dried soft and fluffy and stayed that way until the next wash.

I will be adding this to my rotation and still have alot more left to last well beyond a few months.

HIT:
mixed silk leave in conditioner!

MISS:
viviscal shampoo. had to wash twice to get my hair clean. price and packaging are ridiculous its nothing special, just like any other sulfate free shampoo. bought it on clearance and wouldn't buy it at normal price

Last edited:
Back