Attention flat-ironing queens

Pixel Lady said:
You are absolutely correct!!!

Practice with a cold iron, looking in the mirror...you'll get it! Don't forget to take pix...you know we wanna see :D

lol!! No pics for now...I'm in the HYH 'til july 4th challenge and I just got my hair braided soooo no straight hair for me anytime soon.:ohwell:

Anyhow, thank you for clarifying. That's how I usually flat iron my hair. I have yet to flat iron my whole head with my solia(or since I started my hair journey thus far). However, when I do, I just wanted to make sure that I'm doing it so that I can get the bounce that the OP was talking about:cool:.

thegirltolove said:
Hey Mook **waiving**

Now that I got the ghetto greeting out of the way. I know that you commented in my Fotki about the stickiness of the products that you had used before. I dealt with the same thing, but this was the first time that I tries Heat Protexx. I usually use the Silk Infusion, but I am out of town and didn't bring it with me. I found that the Heat Protexx did me RIGHT! I was like :eek:, is that MY hair!!!! You might wanna check it out.
** waiving back**
I'm writing that down. I'll definately check that out when I 'm done with my no heat regimen. Thanks

I totally agre with the ironing to the ceiling. It puts a lift to your roots and allows the rest of the hair to move.

secretdiamond said:
Do you guys put the serum/heat protectant on wet hair before blowdrying/rollersetting or on dry hair RIGHT BEFORE you put the flat iron on your hair?

Also, do you put serum on each small section or all over your head?

I put the water based heat protectant on wet hair, then I allow my hair to airdry then on airdried hair I put a quarter sized amount of the oil/cone based protectant all over my head then I proceed to flatiron.

EMJazzy said:
I put the water based heat protectant on wet hair, then I allow my hair to airdry then on airdried hair I put a quarter sized amount of the oil/cone based protectant all over my head then I proceed to flatiron.

So the extra product does not weigh your hair down? What benefits do you get from combining the two types of protectants?

thegirltolove said:
So the extra product does not weigh your hair down? What benefits do you get from combining the two types of protectants?

I just do it to give my hair some "extra protection" from the heat. I haven't noticed if my hair is weighed down because I never wear it down, I flatiron then pincurl (my protective style) and my pincurls are usually nice and bouncy. ..I can't afford anymore setbacks. :nono:

I haven't updated my fotki with current pics because I can't find my computer adaptor for my camera. :ohwell:

great thread.

I've been looking at the flat ironed hair at church and this is what I observed
(let's just talk about the two types of flat ironed hair that's worth talking about)

there's the hair that has body and bounces but it has no shine and it looks rather homemadish.

The there is the ultimate and that is the hair is health flat and looks like SILK with a ton of body .

I don't flat iron that well but one thing I know for sure that has not been mentioned in this thread is:

The roots must be straight

A few other things that will make a huge difference IMO is
The right products applied at the right time
airdrying the hair always makes the hair light weight.

gn1g said:
great thread.

I've been looking at the flat ironed hair at church and this is what I observed
(let's just talk about the two types of flat ironed hair that's worth talking about)

there's the hair that has body and bounces but it has no shine and it looks rather homemadish.

The there is the ultimate and that is the hair is health flat and looks like SILK with a ton of body .

I don't flat iron that well but one thing I know for sure that has not been mentioned in this thread is:

The roots must be straight

A few other things that will make a huge difference IMO is
The right products applied at the right time
airdrying the hair always makes the hair light weight.

You know what? I completely agree with the roots being straight. I have noticed that the my best experiences with flat-ironing has been when I take the time to get the roots COMPLETELY straight.

Lately, I have been experimenting with my hair and I have found that when I DC first, then shampoo out with CON, spray some Nexxus Heat Protexx on damp hair, then put a little Kemi Oil all over while airdrying, my flat-iron comes out extra light and fluffy. It is SO bouncy.

anky said:
rollerset your hair and do not flat iron all the way down... just the new growth. Do it in very small sections and make sure you don't use a heavy leave-in.

I co-sign this.
Take a look at macherieamour...
besides that you really should avoid ironing
your ends... better to just hit up the roots
after you take the rollers out.

SouthernTease said:
I co-sign this.
Take a look at macherieamour...
besides that you really should avoid ironing
your ends... better to just hit up the roots
after you take the rollers out.

I never roller set. Does it really get your ends straight to the point that you don't need to flat-iron? What products would you recommend that would allow the hair to dry straight and still be bouncy?

my hair always swings...always

all i do is wash/condition

apply heat protectant and leave in conditioner...to wet hair

let it air dry, or sit under hooded dryer

take small sections starting from tht back and flat iron fron root to tip

ta-da

swanging hair!

Not a lot of product and very small sections. I take like 1/4 inch sections. It is the best when I use no product at all. Make sure you have a iron with a protective lip covering the sides of the plate, so that you can get at the root. I loved my solia until I kept burning my scalp. It does not have that "lip", so I recommend that for ladies who don't get close to their scalp. I am in love with the GHD original styler now!!!:grin:

i get great results when i dont lay on the products too much. after the shampoo and conditioner i apply my leave in and serum, wet wrap/rollerset, airdry or hood dry then flat iron(never to the ends). for upkeep i just wrap/pincurl and spray with a little oil sheen if needed.

I just got finished flat-ironing my hair, and it's super straight and airy. I did my washing regimen today, and I always finish it off with applying Aphogee Leave-in Conditioner which I love (has a bit of protein, moisturizers, and heat protectant, and is very light), Elasta QP Mango Butter, and a bit of Motions Shine Serum. I let it all air dry there after. When my hair is dried I put a very small amount of Jamaican Mango and Lime Island Oil just to seal my ends a little. Then I flat iron with a low heat (it's level #2 out of 5, it heats up to 284 degrees at that level), I have always flat-ironed upwards too then a little curve midway to the end of the hair for a little "bump." I then like to go back with the low heat iron and LOOSELY wrap my hair around the iron and quickly open and close it as to not let the heat sit on my ends. This adds a bit of curl for body. I take the section I just curled and wrap it around my fingers in a large size curl - as though it's on a roller - and clip it down so it can cool and set. When I take em all down (I do this all over my head) I have body swinging salon like hair.

It's easier to see than to try to spell it out in writing, lol. But all in all, little product is the best bet, I learned that from watching my stylist flat iron my hair - she just uses the tiniest amount of sheen spray.

I usually DC my hair the day I want to straighten it. I tpically put in a leave in (sunsilk usually) and an oil throughout my hair. Then when I go toflat iron, I put biosilk and beyond the zone heat protectant on each section.

I'm guessing this is too much? :perplexed

Hey ljbee. I have never heard of flat-ironing upward before, I guess it would make sense that this would add bounciness. I have ALWAYS flat-ironed downward. I will be SOOOOO mad if this slight change makes all the difference in the world....yet so grateful :D. I will definitely try this the next time I relax.

I don't flat iron upward, but I do pin each section up or to the side once I flat iron it. At the end, I take it all down and shake it out, and it bounces all over. There must be something to moving the hair in the opposite direction.

I never roller set. Does it really get your ends straight to the point that you don't need to flat-iron? What products would you recommend that would allow the hair to dry straight and still be bouncy?

I don't rollerset anymore either. I blowdry with my Tourmaline blowdryer, then flat iron. My hair always feels like silk, and very moisturized. I always deep condition well before putting any heat on, then I apply Chi Silk Infusion and a light oil before blowing/ironing.

I don't rollerset anymore either. I blowdry with my Tourmaline blowdryer, then flat iron. My hair always feels like silk, and very moisturized. I always deep condition well before putting any heat on, then I apply Chi Silk Infusion and a light oil before blowing/ironing.

I notice that you are transitioning also. Did you change your method because of this reason? I know that I haven't relaxed since February and the things that I used to do I can't do no mo'.
:lachen:

The only problem i have with flatironing is i need for my hair to have LESS body----I have to start doing things that will give me less volume :nono:

Some things that i've noticed are:

Hair flatirons better when your hair is dryed SMOOTH as possible. I used to airdry my hair in a rough ponytail because it didnt like combing it while wet. But when your hair drys smooth, your hair looks much better then if you wait till it drys, detangles it, then flatirons. I've found that for people with difficult hair setting foams work well to keep the hair smooth.

Hair looks much silkier flatironed when your hair is moisturized from your conditoner. If you havent found the conditoner that leaves your hair soft and moisturized after rinsing, then try to do the "little product as possible" then your hair will not feel as silky as it could. Silicon Mix was that conditoner for me---your hair also seems to stay staight longer.

You have to find the right product for you----Heat protectants, Serums, pressing oils, oilsheen ect. seem to make all the difference. For me personally there was only one heat protecant that actually made my hair shine, and i found that pressing oils actually make my hair sleeker, smoother and silkier (but it could be because im trying to achive less volume & fluffy so i need something heavier)
I also think heat protectants, serums, and pressing oils work better when you put them on wet hair.

I also think for some people their hair looks better when dried with some sort of heat---like a rollerset or blowdry.

Last edited:
The only problem i have with flatironing is i need for my hair to have LESS body----I have to start doing things that will give me less volume :nono:

Some things that i've noticed are:

Hair flatirons better when your hair is dryed SMOOTH as possible. I used to airdry my hair in a rough ponytail because it didnt like combing it while wet. But when your hair drys smooth, your hair looks much better then if you wait till it drys, detangles it, then flatirons. I've found that for people with difficult hair setting foams work well to keep the hair smooth.

Hair looks much silkier flatironed when your hair is moisturized from your conditoner. If you havent found the conditoner that leaves your hair soft and moisturized after rinsing, then try to do the "little product as possible" then your hair will not feel as silky as it could. Silicon Mix was that conditoner for me---your hair also seems to stay staight longer.

You have to find the right product for you----Heat protectants, Serums, pressing oils, oilsheen ect. seem to make all the difference. For me personally there was only one heat protecant that actually made my hair shine, and i found that pressing oils actually make my hair sleeker, smoother and silkier (but it could be because im trying to achive less volume & fluffy so i need something heavier)
I also think heat protectants, serums, and pressing oils work better when you put them on wet hair.

I also think for some people their hair looks better when dried with some sort of heat---like a rollerset or blowdry.

What in the world??? How on earth do you get TOO MUCH body???

LOL I was thinking the same thing...must be a nice problem to have! :lachen:But personally I think there is no such thing....the more the better baby! Just look at Dsylla....she is going for a world record for the thickest hair and hers is beau-ti-ful!

:lachen:I guess it really is true when they say you want the opposite of what you have. I love it, but sometimes all the heck i want is a sleek Barely APL wrap.
But then i get this: :rolleyes: Big hair.

hair_volume_model.jpg

27feb2007_fluffycrazyhair.jpg

Back