Are you that scared to cut?

Are you afraid to cut your see through ends?

• I'd rather cut and start over

Votes: 82 70.1%
  • I'm not cutting for nothing see through or not

Votes: 35 29.9%

• Total voters

drasgrl

I admit I am :perplexed but I was just looking at someone's album I don't think it's anyone here because I didn't recognize the name. I found it through someone else's album. Anyway she was claiming only a few inches from waist length but her ends were beyond see through.

I mean I could count each individual strand past her shoulder and still have fingers left over. If she cut those strands hanging on for dear life she'd be shoulder length and her hair would look full with no see through ends. I'm not trying to hate because my ends aren't the best :sad: but I just have to ask.

Are you that obsessed with length saying that you are BSL, MBL ow WL or anything when you have at best 5 strands to show for it? I'm fighting for every inch myself and I refuse to cut but come on.

I'm not even talking about uneven hair where one side is longer than the other or if you have one long strand but your hair covers your back and it's not see through. I'm talking five strands and the rest back.

Last edited:
I admit I am :perplexed but I was just looking at someone's album I don't think it's anyone here because I didn't recognize the name. I found it through someone else's album. Anyway she was claiming only a few inches from waist length but her ends were beyond see through.

I mean I could count each individual strand past her shoulder and still have fingers left over. If she cut those strands hanging on for dear life she's be shoulder length and her hair would look full with no see through ends. I'm not trying to hate because my ends aren't the best :sad: but I just have to ask.

Are you that obsessed with length saying that you are BSL, MBL ow WL or anything when you have at best 5 strands to show for it? I'm fighting for every inch myself and I refuse to cut but come on.

I'm not even talking about uneven hair where one side is longer than the other or if you have one long strand but your hair covers your back and it's not see through. I'm talking five strands and the rest back.

I havent cut yet in years, but I am afraid too, I am waiting to reach full goal length to cut. My hair grows pretty evenly though....Im just learning that. But if I was thick and shoulder and 10 strings at MBL :nono: . I would e ashamed to claim it. Its one thing if you hair grows in a tail, which I can understand but to have some straglers being 50% of your length. :nono::nono::nono:.

Last edited:
I'm not. When I was still relaxing I was so happy I could claim SL but my ends were not looking good. I was disappointed and just trimmed them off myself (after I asked for advice). I'd rather have short/healthy looking hair than long/thin

I was.

My ends weren't see through, but they were full of knots. But my hair was longer than it had ever been in my life and I held on to it longer than I should have.

I cut 4-5 inches off the other day and while I'm sad about it, I know it needed to be done.

The reason I had to trim so much is I had multiple knots on single strands of hair. When I would detangle my hair, shed and healthy hair would get caught in the knots and I was losing handfuls of hair.

I know part of the reason I'm scared to cut is because it takes so freaking long for it to grow. I've only cut my hair short once, a little longer than ear length. That was over 10 years ago.

Nope. When your hair looks bad, there's just no point. The whole idea of having length, at least for me, is because I think it's beautiful on me. But before all else, HEALTH is beauty. Weedy ends make me think the person with the damaged hair is not keeping herself up or taking pride in how she looks. Progress isn't breakage and thin ends. Progress is when we finally figure out how to have hair that's both long AND healthy, root to ends.

Last summer my hair was its longest ever at BSL. But I had some strange breakage in the middle, so my hair eventually got to SL in the middle but was nice and thick on the sides. It was a total no-go, so as much as I loved seeing my long curls I cut to just below SL, dumped the damage and started over. I'm now past APL and working my way back--and my hair is now thick and even all over.

It's hair. It grows. But growing long AA hair is a learning process for most of us and there WILL be setbacks. I just try to diagnose, cut if the damage is obvious and start over again. I'd call that annoying and frustrating, but not scary.

I have done this before, but I had to bring myself to that point and once it was done, I was so happy with my short bob and healthy ends.

But I must admit that I was hanging on to scraggly ends this go around too and finally trimmed to where it is now neater, however I discovered breakage and I again can't bring myself to cut up to the breakage. It is not as obvious but I know it is there so does my stylist. So I hope to grow trim grow trim....to eventually get it all one length.

Some ladies opt for wearing their hair up until their hair grows a significant amount before cutting so mentally they have not had a major set back.

So I really think it is better to just let it go.....of course that is easier said than done.

RZ~

I'm CBL right now - almost full. But even so I know that about 2 inches of my ends are gonna have to be cut eventually b/c they're so thin. Now I'm normally a very scissor hapy chick ad usually take my hair from CBL to upper neck length every summer. But that was before I really started taking care of my hair. This is the first time in my life that I've been aware that I actually *can* have long hair so for the first time I'm not in a hurry to cut. I'm 3 inches away from APL & with my growth rate, should make it there October of this year. So right now, I'm putting my hair to a test so to speak. I'm anxious to see what my hair can do since it's never been longer than CBL in my life. But rather than doing a mini "bc" to get rid of the dead ends at once, I'll prob. cut 1/2 an inch gradually (like after each touch up).

Hmmm, why does this sound awfully familiar? I believe the girl you are referring to is a friend on my fotki page and I am very proud of her progress. Granted some of the ends may need trimming but at least she is tirelessly going at it to achieve her desired length. I myself has said that the only time I will trim is after I've achieved a certain length goal I'm aiming for. As was the case when I finally reached APL - see my sigggy. My next trim will be due when I achieve BSL. My ends before the trim was pathetic but hey I wanted APL and darn it I was gonna get it, come hell or high water, even if I had gotten one (1) strand there:grin:.

Be careful of throwing stones as they might come back to hit you instead - just a kind word of advice. Please, let's not be so cruel to each other. If you can't find anything kind to say to or about someone, then don't say anything. I am not sure, but my fotki friend might be a lurker here and you know what, if it had been you, you would not appreciate anyone talking about you this way, so please be kind.

:look: I know what you are talking about....

Well i was afraid to cut.my hair was the longest its ever been and i didnt want to ruin it. and didn't cut only when i had those huge matts in my hair and my bc. now ever since ive BCed ive been obsessed about even ends. I dont mind layers but i dont like scraggly ends like i was holding on to.

My hair is thin and fine and grows in layers so naturally it will appear see thru at the ends while it grows. I trim and lightly dust a few times a year just to keep the splits at bay. I feel that there is an overall consensus on this board that if your ends are thin they should be cut because they are damaged. This is not true for me, so I just keep it moving. If someone peeps my fotki and thinks I need to trim, thats fine! But, Im going to do me. I'm not scurred to cut I just do not feel that it's necessary to cut just because my ends are a little thin.

This is why I would never start a post asking "Do I need a trim" or "Am I (whatever length) yet!" Please, if I can't look in the mirror and tell for myself then I need more help then this board can offer.

Homegirl's hair might be thin, spacey, or whatever at the ends...but we don't know what HER ultimate goal is and what issues she may or may not have with retaining thickness.

Nope, not afraid to cut. In fact, I think I may be getting some cut this week. I have been transitioning for over a year and my plan was to cut some of the relaxed ends off every 45-90 days. The last mini trim was in January, but I still have some evil layers I called myself cutting back in October or November (I was bored and just wanted something to do)

The longest layers is about an inch longer than everthing else and is just there by itself. Now I want my blunt cut and full ends back. I am thinking about going for 3 or 4 inches......

BB

My hair is thin and fine and grows in layers so naturally it will appear see thru at the ends while it grows. I trim and lightly dust a few times a year just to keep the splits at bay. I feel that there is an overall consensus on this board that if your ends are thin they should be cut because they are damaged. This is not true for me, so I just keep it moving. If someone peeps my fotki and thinks I need to trim, thats fine! But, Im going to do me. I'm not scurred to cut I just do not feel that it's necessary to cut just because my ends are a little thin.

This is why I would never start a post asking "Do I need a trim" or "Am I (whatever length) yet!" Please, if I can't look in the mirror and tell for myself then I need more help then this board can offer.

Homegirl's hair might be thin, spacey, or whatever at the ends...but we don't know what HER ultimate goal is and what issues she may or may not have with retaining thickness.
I feel the same way you do Charmtreese. I agree with this entire post.

I mean I could count each individual strand past her shoulder and still have fingers left over. If she cut those strands hanging on for dear life she'd be shoulder length and her hair would look full with no see through ends. I'm not trying to hate because my ends aren't the best :sad: but I just have to ask.

OMG..You read my mind. I don't understand it either.

I love to cut my hair. In one month I got my hair trimmed twice, which was last month. Now that was a little overboard, but I wasn't satisfied with how my ends looked. I like blunt cuts and thick ends.

I think its justa phase some people go through. I get there sometimes. I should have BCd a month ago but I am hanging on because you can only tell when my hair is wet/styled the wrong way. The bottom is actually shorter than the top... so if I cut off all the thin ends in the back it will be more obvious and I wont be able to wear my hair out... maybe I should just BC? Yea I think I do have the same problem as that girl, was it my fotki you were looking at?:lachen:

mar6back3xk6.jpg
mar22thinends2jb3.jpg

If my hair gets worse than this I promise i will chop lol so nobody starts a thread talkin about ole Delusional 3 Strands at APL Al00fone:lachen:

I have wondered this too. Looking at some pics like WHAT THE? I knew a girl once who REFUSED to cut her hair and it looked like five skinny fingers resting on her shoulders:look:. I used to BEG her to trim IT-cause it looked like an IT-off but she would say "If they split I'll just have double hair."

I mean she really thought that:lachen:. Have you ever seen a girl with those thin ends actually try to flip her hair over her shoulder and it just sticks up? Now that's a sight to behold.

Me, I will cut in a minute. Hair will grow...it's not like cutting an arm.

Indeed. And if you wear your hair up a majority of the time, those thin ends will be invisible, anyhow. *shrug* I don't foresee ever having to cut my hair - unless I decide to start wearing it straight. But I've only been on this road for two years, so we shall see.

I think its justa phase some people go through. I get there sometimes. I should have BCd a month ago but I am hanging on because you can only tell when my hair is wet/styled the wrong way. The bottom is actually shorter than the top... so if I cut off all the thin ends in the back it will be more obvious and I wont be able to wear my hair out... maybe I should just BC? Yea I think I do have the same problem as that girl, was it my fotki you were looking at?:lachen:

mar6back3xk6.jpg
mar22thinends2jb3.jpg

If my hair gets worse than this I promise i will chop lol so nobody starts a thread talkin about ole Delusional 3 Strands at APL Al00fone:lachen:

Girl, you know you are one of the FUNNIEST people on this board. You never fail to just have me over here WEAK every time!:lachen:

Girl, you know you are one of the FUNNIEST people on this board. You never fail to just have me over here WEAK every time!:lachen:

Lol I had to stand up since I know I'm one of the offenders:nono::lachen:

The funny thing is when all this is straight and dry, you can't even tell I got scissorphobic issues :perplexed

At the bolded, I ve seen a couple albums like that. And for me to claim bra/midback length unless mine is pretty much blunt cut is a no no. It just doesn't seem real. I had to cut mine I wanted a blunt cut and a true bra strap length blunt cut not 5% of it touching the strap or anything like that. Just nice, thick and full.

At the bolded, I ve seen a couple albums like that. And for me to claim bra/midback length unless mine is pretty much blunt cut is a no no. It just doesn't seem real. I had to cut mine I wanted a blunt cut and a true bra strap length blunt cut not 5% of it touching the strap or anything like that. Just nice, thick and full.

Ah. Yeah, I missed that part - I totally agree with you here, LD - don't claim it unless it's full..... :yep: I know for me, that's going to almost double the time it's going to take for me to claim certain lengths, because I have MAJOR layers.
But I think that's a whole nother thread. :rolleyes:

Back