Are you that scared to cut?

Are you afraid to cut your see through ends?

• I'd rather cut and start over

Votes: 82 70.1%
  • I'm not cutting for nothing see through or not

Votes: 35 29.9%

• Total voters
my ends were badly damaged but I would never wear it down. I would wear protective styles everyday, so you couldnt see them. I planned on cutting them off little by little every month. But then my stylist gave me an unexpected cut.

There is one person who's fotki I ran into. I think she's around BSL and her hair is very see through. From her posts, I dont think she plans on trimming.:ohwell:

No, I'm not afraid to cut. I trim a few times a year because I hate thin ends on me. I like thick hair. Thin ends is not attractive...

Love the siggy pic!!!

BB
thank you!!!!! ur hair is amzingly gorgeous :love:

.... in refernece to some of the other comments i have seen a few albums with the see thru ends...to each their own but as far as my hair goes I could never keep my ends like that. when my ends are dingy my hair looks rough and doesnt swing...and my curls look like a rats nest:perplexed

I think its justa phase some people go through. I get there sometimes. I should have BCd a month ago but I am hanging on because you can only tell when my hair is wet/styled the wrong way. The bottom is actually shorter than the top... so if I cut off all the thin ends in the back it will be more obvious and I wont be able to wear my hair out... maybe I should just BC? Yea I think I do have the same problem as that girl, was it my fotki you were looking at?:lachen:

mar6back3xk6.jpg
mar22thinends2jb3.jpg

If my hair gets worse than this I promise i will chop lol so nobody starts a thread talkin about ole Delusional 3 Strands at APL Al00fone:lachen:

No it definitely wasn't yours. You're cool. :lachen:

I have wondered this too. Looking at some pics like WHAT THE? I knew a girl once who REFUSED to cut her hair and it looked like five skinny fingers resting on her shoulders:look:. I used to BEG her to trim IT-cause it looked like an IT-off but she would say "If they split I'll just have double hair."

I mean she really thought that:lachen:. Have you ever seen a girl with those thin ends actually try to flip her hair over her shoulder and it just sticks up? Now that's a sight to behold.

Me, I will cut in a minute. Hair will grow...it's not like cutting an arm.

No she didn't! :lachen:

No it definitely wasn't yours. You're cool. :lachen:

:giggle: Yea its funny though... I have seen a few fotkis who were worse than mine and I kinda sympathize. I was APL a few months ago and didn't take pictures because the 7 hairs that made it didn't show up on camera:perplexed

I am an inch and a half from APL now but I'll probably chop again before I make it there. But I really think I'm making progress:yep:: The first time I was 3 inches away, the second time I cut I was 2 inches away, and now I'm about 1.5 inches (straightened) so maybe by the next time I touch some scissors I will be a half an inch off:grin: It is always a struggle for me to decide to trim though. Its like every 2 inches I gain I have to hack off an inch... so I get frustrated and wind up with 4 pieces of hair reaching like fingers:perplexed Maybe thats what happens to them and they just take it too far?:lachen:

I'm not:nono: I hate split ends. I am transitioning w/o BC and I am currently APL. I would be WL by now if I did not insist on trimming regularly. I just don't see the point of having long hair with raggedy ends.

Last edited:
I'm not afraid to cut. Actually that's my downfall :lachen:even though i've been good for the last maybe 6-9 mos. Yesterday I trimmed about 1/2-1" of hair in the first time in months and my hair feels GREAT!

My SHS hasn't given me the chance to get scared. My 14 weeks is coming up soon and it will be the first time I put my foot down about no trimming. It's hard to say without it being in my face, but I hope that I would get rid of raggedy ends. Unevenness I don't care about (each hair cannot grow at the same rate, after all) but I don't want holes in my ends.:nono:
ETA: But I am sort of desperate to reach APL though.

I'm not afraid to cut but I think it's absolutely senseless to aim for blunt hair while you are growing your hair out.
Our hair just doesn't grow even so it will take you forever to see some progress.
I made this mistake and it was very,very dishartening.
Now I try to only even out once I reach a certain pitstop.
I maintained at APL for a few months and I will probably do the same once I hit BSL:yep:

No, I'm the opposite.

When I was in High School and going to a stylist regularly I would trim every 4 weeks :ohwell: and then wonder why my hair wasn't getting longer.

When I finally started growing my hair out in first year uni a stylist left the relaxer on too long and I just knew my hair was overprocessed... a few hours later I went to a different stylist and chopped my collar bone length hair to ear length:ohwell:

I used to be wayyy to scissor happy, because I love the look and feel of healthy ends, ESPECIALLY the lack of tangles but now I won't let myself trim more than 4 times a year, and only as needed.

However, in the (unlikely) event that I experience extreme breakage, I will cut without hesitation, because I like being able to wear my hair down and know that it looks good from the back :look:

I'm not afraid to cut but I think it's absolutely senseless to aim for blunt hair while you are growing your hair out.
Our hair just doesn't grow even so it will take you forever to see some progress.
I maintained at APL for a few months and I will probably do the same once I hit BSL:yep:
I totally agree with the bolded.

Ella, aint that the truth!!!!! ITA with the bolded. I also made the mistake of being waaaaaay too NOT scared of cutting :lachen: - In september 2007, I cut 3" off because I didn't like the way my hair was in a V shape. That cut took me back up to APL :lachen: Looking back I was totally :dizzy: for doing that!!!!

I am still not afraid to cut my hair, but trust me, I will NOT be cutting until I feel it is absolutely neccessary. My ends tend to be in good shape, thank Jesus... :Rose:

i'd take healthy-looking ends over length anyday. so i have no problem with cutting! (actually i might be a little scissor happy) honestly i'd be embarrassed to say i was WSL with only 5 or so strands touching it (the way you described it). like you said, it's cool if you just have a few HEALTHY thick ends touching but if practically all your stands are stringy that's just not cute.

I know I am scissor happy I admit it. It took me some time to realize I was my own SHS. I have had to hide the scissors to keep from trimming away my own progress in the attempt to have even hair. I also know that my hair grows in a v shape so trimming constantly is useless since my hair does not, will not grow in blunt and even. And my right side grows faster than my left. If I keep trying to even them up I get no where.

I know I am scissor happy I admit it. It took me some time to realize I was my own SHS. I have had to hide the scissors to keep from trimming away my own progress in the attempt to have even hair. I also know that my hair grows in a v shape so trimming constantly is useless since my hair does not, will not grow in blunt and even. And my right side grows faster than my left. If I keep trying to even them up I get no where.

me too. My stylists had a habit of cutting my hair everytime it grew into its v shape(trying to even it out) This last time I said. NO ! I will keep my hair in its v shape and my right side also grows slower but it doesnt matter to me since my hair is always up in a bun anyway. The way I see it to each his own. I mean who are we to tell someone else what to do with their own hair:nono:

i hate to cut even though for the past 3 years i cut my hair a lot, the more drastic being the last one, and all in the sake for even hair. I think cutting while trying to reach a goal, made me lose ground, cause a lot of cutting specially the last 2 years was unnecessary. i had just gotten scissors and was a little bit too happy with them each time a strand was longer than the others i would cut. So it hindered my progress a lot

The only positive is now that i m starting with a clean cut and well cut ends, im really gonna chart for one year my progress cause i was unable to do so in the past with all the cuts and trims i received. This time all scissors are banned, i'm starting fresh, i'm going back to crown and glory. i'm a firm believer that while growing your hair out, its best to trim afterwards once you reach your goal so to trim the excess raggedy ends later. The benefit of my december haircut is now i have a clean base to start with and I M NOT TRIMMING, CUTTING EVER AGAIN... so this time come dec 28, 2008 i will evaluate and know for sure how much i grew and retained. i'm also stopping heat for a while trying to hold on to dec if i can, so i may need braids, or a cornrowed style and get back to mtg, vits, haitian castor oil et al hehe sO I M no longer scared to cut im am MORTIFIED...:grin::lachen::look::nono: BUT Its good sometimes to start clean thoug:rolleyes:

No. I have no problem having my hair cut if it's really uneven. However, only certain people are allowed to cut my hair. Only those that I trust are allowed to touch it. I know for a fact that they won't go scissor crazy.

Re: Are you that scared to cut? (RESPONSE LETTER)

To Aggie, Aggie's fotki friend & LCHF sisters,

Let me start by saying, I was between APL & BSL and I was ashamed to claim it, because my hair breaks badly in the middle. My mom says that it's starting to fill in nicely, but I also know that I must cut or keep cutting in order to truly claim anything. I don't think this is about throwing stones, I think it's about sisterhood. I applaude Aggie's Fotki friend efforts and she has achieved growth. But in the same breath, cutting is necessary and in doing so, she will eventually achieve what she looking for. In closing, if we are really suppose to be sisters here, then we should help a fellow sister out. Even if it involves telling someone the hard truth.

Continuously striving,
Quest4healthyhair

no, I had to let that hair length obsession go. Hair looks so much better when the ends are healthy. I was almost APL but my ends just weren't tight. So I cut 1.5 and I'm betweeen SL and APL but my hair looks so much better and fuller. I'm happy with it.

Now I am blunt cut, never thought I would be!

Let me start by saying, I was between APL & BSL and I was ashamed to claim it, because my hair breaks badly in the middle. My mom says that it's starting to fill in nicely, but I also know that I must cut or keep cutting in order to truly claim anything. I don't think this is about throwing stones, I think it's about sisterhood. I applaude Aggie's Fotki friend efforts and she has achieved growth. But in the same breath, cutting is necessary and in doing so, she will eventually achieve what she looking for. In closing, if we are really suppose to be sisters here, then we should help a fellow sister out. Even if it involves telling someone the hard truth.

Continuously striving,
Quest4healthyhair

ITA - she may even be unaware that her ends should be as thick as the rest of her hair :ohwell:

Continuously striving,
Quest4healthyhair

I appreciate your kind words Quest4healthyhair and I indeed understand your point of view however, I don't think that talking about someone's seemingly lack of progress behind their back is the way for sistas to show comradery. If I did not already know what my friend's plans are concerning her hair progress then I would have gently ask her if she was going to be cutting soon or waiting for the next hair goal to be achieved before doing so which incidently is what I do myself.

I would also encourage her to do a progressive possibly quarterly trim for thickness to be achieved so that her ultimate goal of lengthy healthy hair is simultaneously achieved. My friend is not a member of LHCF but another hair board of which I am also a member. Some of us are blessed with exceptionally thick hair and others thinner hair. I have medium dense fine hair so I consider myself somewhat blessed and I sympathize with and support my hair buddies who are less fortunate than myself.

Just before I reached APL in February, my ends were looking a little thin but I wanted to wait until my hair went a little past APL before I did a trim so that when I did trim, it would look a little fuller. The proof of this is in my fotki. Furthermore, I never trim if my ends are free of split ends if I can help it. This post may not be about throwing stones but if it had been me being talked about like this I would not have felt loved, supported and cared for. I don't know, that's just me I guess.

I know I am NOT cutting until I get about 1 inch past my goal which is APL. I feel like I never see any progress! I'm holding on to those ends like there is no tommorrow. I dust here and there, but I want to see in actuality what I am growing/retaining. I can't do that if I continue to cut, and plus it makes me discouraged because with cutting, I feel like I am not growing at all. So...until I get to 1 inch past APL I will NOT be cutting!:ohwell:

I know I am NOT cutting until I get about 1 inch past my goal which is APL. I feel like I never see any progress! I'm holding on to those ends like there is no tommorrow. I dust here and there, but I want to see in actuality what I am growing/retaining. I can't do that if I continue to cut, and plus it makes me discouraged because with cutting, I feel like I am not growing at all. So...until I get to 1 inch past APL I will NOT be cutting!:ohwell:

These are my thoughts exactly knk.

I dont seem to have a problem or maybe my hair is extra thick because I havent cut my hair in almost a year and my ends are even in density and alright.

I am afraid to cut RIGHT NOW -- I'm trying to get over it. I always got trims every 8-10 weeks and really trusted the person who trimmed my hair. I decided to extend my trims and now six months later, I'm not sure what a trim will be like. I know it will be more than the typical 1/4-1/2 inch trims I had been getting.

I plan to baby my hair until the end of the school year and then I'm going back on a regular trim schedule. I'd rather lose a little at a time than a lot all at once.

Back