are the men in d.c. really THAT bad?

When I saw your post I thought it may have been something I wrote because you described me to the T! I rock weaves but I also wear my hair natural alot. I live in the DMV and I've decided shortly after my 25th birdthay(which was pretty recent) that I would not tolerate any bullcrap. I might end up being lonely for a while but I'm ok with that. I've also decided I'd rather be with a hardworking guy who may not be educated as well as I would like, but treats me and and every other girl he has dated like queens. Alot of these educated and well off guys in the DMV( both black and white) are so stuck-up and I don't want to give them the satisfaction of wanting their attention. I'll just do me.

LOL
....yea that is how im feeling now...i havent dated anyone from the area since 09...and he was someone ive know since high school!!

Thanks!!!! Havent been over there since my car got borken into....LOL! This time I'll ride the metro:lol:

Well the native american guy let me down...he's a cocky bastard as well smdh...but the haitian is doing alright lol. I think he may be getting his rocks off because I have dominican roots though, he called me on that in our conversation and just started laughing his butt off. idk yall idk....lol

and to piggy back what the other person said, it is really annoying how men ask you all these questions about what you do where you work and spill all the info about themselves but they arent looking for a gold digger. This other guy I met a while ago hit me up and basically wanted my resume and tells me he's just looking for a girl to spoil...now if i act brand new in this piece, who's to blame? you or me?

LOL!!! Smh:nono: and we all know what that means...translation: "i dont have any skills when it comes to getting/keeping women or in the bed, so ill pay you to stick around...how much will it cost me?"

I hope all yall soon-to-be DMV'ers arent getting too scared....cause there are some very great guys around. Jus know he AINT gonna be at any club, bar, lounge, ultra bar, or house party and if he is...ill cook yall a 5 course gourmet meal as a wedding gift!

Last edited:
I hope all yall soon-to-be DMV'ers arent getting too scared....cause there are some very great guys around. Jus know he AINT gonna be at any club, bar, lounge, ultra bar, or house party and if he is...ill cook yall a 5 course gourmet meal as a wedding gift!

I met my fiance at Eighteenth Street Lounge. Get ready to cater our wedding! ;)

This thread has been very hilarious and informative.

I'm going to be in the area this weekend looking for housing. I am silly, so I know I will up there lauging to myself thinking about this thread if I see dudes like the ones ya'll are talking about while I'm out and about. lol

"Looking for a girl to spoil..." Beware because that's part of the game.

Oh yea I know...thats a big turn off when guys start saying stuff like that. I never believe them and if they are being honest I don't trust them. Not gonna lie my ex spoiled the **** out of me once we got serious, but he never brought that up when we first started dating.

I just posted that to prove that its not hard meeting men, it's just hard finding one thats not on any bs and you connect with. Theres a lot of potentials out there but they just dont cut it most of the time bc they choose to not act right. :spinning:

I live in the DMV and have been happily married to DH (a dc native, more or less) for 12 years.

IMO if you are coming to DC you will find some of the best looking, most educated brothers on the east coast. And yes, some of them are spoiled LOL! There's a lot of female competition in DC. Many black women with advanced degrees, federal jobs..and young and pretty too! Some of them don't mind taking care of (spoiling) a man. (Can't relate to that personally).

My single friends do complain about how hard it is to find a good man, and I agree to a certain extent. My one friend in particular, though, can be a little superficial. She tells me that first she looks at the man's shoes (they must be name brand and new), next he must be over 6 feet tall, next he has to be dressed a certain way...no dirty work clothes for instance (and of course he must have lots of money and spend it on her). I was listening to all this like - um, yeah ok good luck? Meanwhile, she works a minimum wage job and still lives with her Dad. I mean, you gotta bring something to the table, right?

I live in the DMV and have been happily married to DH (a dc native, more or less) for 12 years.

IMO if you are coming to DC you will find some of the best looking, most educated brothers on the east coast. And yes, some of them are spoiled LOL! There's a lot of female competition in DC. Many black women with advanced degrees, federal jobs..and young and pretty too! Some of them don't mind taking care of (spoiling) a man. (Can't relate to that personally).

My single friends do complain about how hard it is to find a good man, and I agree to a certain extent. My one friend in particular, though, can be a little superficial. She tells me that first she looks at the man's shoes (they must be name brand and new), next he must be over 6 feet tall, next he has to be dressed a certain way...no dirty work clothes for instance (and of course he must have lots of money and spend it on her). I was listening to all this like - um, yeah ok good luck? Meanwhile, she works a minimum wage job and still lives with her Dad. I mean, you gotta bring something to the table, right?

so she plans on staying single forever I see....not a bad plan:yep:

Everytime I go to DC I see some attractive well dressed black men (and white men too). :yep: More than I see in Atl. I was excited just to have some eye candy for once; I just enjoyed looking:lol:

where are these men? I dont see too many jaw dropping fine men,lol. I remember the second man I saw that I thought was smack ya mama fine....he looked like Boris Kodjoe. Had a nice body, great smile, he was just easy on the eyes....and he was a gay hairdresser. Burned my soul...lol

where are these men? I dont see too many jaw dropping fine men,lol. I remember the second man I saw that I thought was smack ya mama fine....he looked like Boris Kodjoe. Had a nice body, great smile, he was just easy on the eyes....and he was a gay hairdresser. Burned my soul...lol

:lachen: D@mn like Boris? That would've burned my soul too. It would've REALLY burned if he looked like Idris tho.

I saw attractive men in the airport and walking around in the city after I went to a conference. I don't recall areas/street names tho. It was right when everyone was getting off of work. I saw a bunch of yt people mostly, but the few black men I saw looked nice:yep: I think I may have been near the Adams Morgan area everyone talks about. I stayed at the Washington Hilton and it wasn't that far from my hotel. Oh, and later me and a homegirl hung out at U-street.

Last edited:

:lachen::lol: :dighole: @ bolded.

Thanks ladies for schooling me. I'm a Chicagoan living in the D.C. metro area, and now that you guys mention it, I have had strange experiences just trying to be friendly with DC dudes. I thought it was me, but thanks to you, I see there's more going on beneath the surface.

girl im looking for these 'attractive' men too. These are just the average looking ones acting like that:lol: I've been here for 12 years and can count on one hand how many jaw dropping men I've seen here.

This thread is hilarious :lol: I've never dated a man from DC because I've only been there to visit, but I have been approached the few times I was there. I will say that the men vary depending on what area you're in but I've seen fine ones in md, dc, and va. I'm hoping to be living in the area by the end of the year.

Oh, I don't get approached or anything...just men I see anywhere when I'm walking around.

To clarify, I find men in all races attractive, so I'm not just focusing on BM..that could be the issue if you're just focusing on them, though many of the professional ones here are attractive as well.

Hey ladies....we should (single ladies anyway) go out one afternoon in DC. Meet some nice men. :yep:

Girl, I am down because clearly I could use y'alls help with mingling and mixing. Who wants to take me out and school me a la Carrie Bradshaw? :look:

Interesting side note - I was talking to a male acquaintance about the whole dating-in-DC thing the other day and he became deeply offended that I considered a man's career a factor in whether or not to be involved with them.

All of this emerged because I was supergeeked that I had just met a cute doctor and he was all, "Why does the fact that he's a doctor make a difference?"

I explained by whole thing about intelligence being a big turn on and he says, "Just because you're a doctor doesn't mean you're intelligent." :look:

He then gave examples of the truck driver with the heart of gold and the trucker who has his own fleet of trucks . . . people aren't what they DO . . . :blah:

We (women) tend to lean toward a man's ability to provide and they (men) tend to lean toward a woman's beauty.

I understand his point but I could say, "WHY get excited because she's gorgeous?!?! Look at that girl over there...she's not as 'pretty' but she has a heart of gold. Looks shouldn't matter."

Money and beauty shouldn't matter but they do. Oh well...

Girl, I am down because clearly I could use y'alls help with mingling and mixing. Who wants to take me out and school me a la Carrie Bradshaw? :look:

Interesting side note - I was talking to a male acquaintance about the whole dating-in-DC thing the other day and he became deeply offended that I considered a man's career a factor in whether or not to be involved with them.

All of this emerged because I was supergeeked that I had just met a cute doctor and he was all, "Why does the fact that he's a doctor make a difference?"

I explained by whole thing about intelligence being a big turn on and he says, "Just because you're a doctor doesn't mean you're intelligent." :look:

He then gave examples of the truck driver with the heart of gold and the trucker who has his own fleet of trucks . . . people aren't what they DO . . . :blah:

im down for that! i think there's a jazz festival coming up that may be a good place.

But just agreeing with sylver2 it's rare for me to break my neck over a guy. I've been friends with some guys my girls were saying "damn" over and I was like who? him?! SO it may just be me. I only break my neck for something that's really eye catching but at the time same time I dont really see many guys that i think are ugly.

I've always loved the DMV area and hope to move there one day, but after reading this thread, I see that I need to BMOM ....bring my own man :lachen::lachen:

im down for that! i think there's a jazz festival coming up that may be a good place.

But just agreeing with sylver2 it's rare for me to break my neck over a guy. I've been friends with some guys my girls were saying "damn" over and I was like who? him?! SO it may just be me. I only break my neck for something that's really eye catching but at the time same time I dont really see many guys that i think are ugly.

Someone actually just emailed me a link about that jazz festival. I may check it out if I'm not still busy getting settled.

See I'm the opposite, I RARELY see guys that I find attractive, so the few dudes I've seen visiting DC is still more than usual. And no they weren't like drop dead gorgeous or anything. Just kinda cute/attractive.

OT, but I saw a guy in the airport in DC who looked fairly cute. He had his Becker book, so I know he was an accountant, prob Big 4. He looked so stressed out and serious, lol. Of course, he didn't even glance my way, except to shoot me an annoyed look that I was hogging a big table all by myself that he wished he had gotten so he could spread his books out on. :lol:

Ladies in DC and the ladies planning to move to DC let me know when and where. I'd love to hook up!
The Park on 14th is a nice spot/bar w/ a DJ. Professional men and women go there & they have great live performances. Also in the summer they have Jazz In the Park on Friday nights near the monument. It's really nice and they serve sangria.
Rooftop happy hours are in full effect! U guys are moving here at the right time. I love dc summers.
A lot of guys here are transplants so it's hard to tell if they are DC guys or just guys from other cities that moved here. Either way there is a lot of opportunity here.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Back