are the men in d.c. really THAT bad?

I don't live in D.C. but this thread made me lol because it sounds very much like Atlanta. I have a guy friend in D.C. and he is very similar to what you ladies describe. He is in his early 40s and just got serious about wanting to be in a relationship but is having a hard time because he has a tough time letting go of his old ways (still messing with girls in their early 20s, 3somes the whole 9). SMH!

I keep telling him that he is having a hard time finding a good woman cause we can sniff that mess out a mile away!

You trying to tell me there is something worse than Atlanta? LOL! I lived in Atlanta for years and all I can say is I had to dip. I mean the brothas there are trying to be all picky and don't even have the package! That's how jacked up it is. Even the older men who are in their 60's and 70's and trying to creep got the nerve to be choosy. It's really a sad case but to be real though, I think this is a wide spread thing in the black community period. I've learned that as I have moved to different states. If you live in a mostly white state and you run up on brothas, they feel superior and want to date white women only or anything other than black. If you live in a very chocolate city and you are looking for a man then expect to be single well into your 40's cause brothas just ain't trying to settle down. This has been my experience so far. Perhaps I should move to Alaska where the men outnumber the women..............LOL! I would love to be in that situation!

Dc is much better than atl imo. At least I've gotten approached and asked out here. Dudes r full of themselves/ on some other ish but at least u can do some casual dating. Even casual dates were hard to come by ime in atl.

As for the speed dating thing Glib Gurl has posted on it in the dc area several times and could prob give some good insight.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using SGH-T839

Last edited:
I had an experience and it made me think about this thread.

A guy asked me out earlier this wk and I had to turn him down b/c I already had plans.... but I told him I was open to rescheduling on a different date. And then he said something like I would have to pay and plan for the date this time cuz he already did his part by asking me.

I just cut my eyes at him. He's actually from the DMV, but he's up in Boston for school like me. These DMV guys are a mess.

Reactions: JFK
UrbainChic reporting from the trenches: I have not been here long, but so far I am pleased. Thats all for now. Over and out!

I'm bumping this up because after going to Howard's Homecoming 2 weekends ago, i'm entertaining the idea of planting myself there. My girls and I met a lot of guys there. Even my girl who moved to D.C. for school has dates lined up all the time. What a I missing about D.C. men?!

I had an experience and it made me think about this thread.

A guy asked me out earlier this wk and I had to turn him down b/c I already had plans.... but I told him I was open to rescheduling on a different date. And then he said something like I would have to pay and plan for the date this time cuz he already did his part by asking me.

I just cut my eyes at him. He's actually from the DMV, but he's up in Boston for school like me. These DMV guys are a mess.

Theo
Omg...are you kidding me? :nono: :nono:

I'm bumping this up because after going to Howard's Homecoming 2 weekends ago, i'm entertaining the idea of planting myself there. My girls and I met a lot of guys there. Even my girl who moved to D.C. for school has dates lined up all the time. What a I missing about D.C. men?!

I think the scene is different for younger, college aged women or women who just want to date around. There are plenty of guys for that. Women who are older or who are looking for a serious commitment/marriage are the ones with the dilemma. Many men in the DC area just want to play for as long as possible.

22 and want a different date every night of the week? You will have no problems. 35 and want to get married? Good luck.:ohwell:

Last edited:
Reactions: JFK
I think the scene is different for younger, college aged women or women who just want to date around. There are plenty of guys for that. Women who are older or who are looking for a serious commitment/marriage are the ones with the dilemma. Many men in the DC area just want to play for as long as possible.

22 and want a different date every night of the week? You will have no problems. 35 and want to get married? Good luck.:ohwell:

That sucks. :ohwell: So the men there don't like commitment? SMH. But, I'm seriously entertaining the idea of moving somewhere. I wonder if other places on the east are better? I have to create a thread soon asking!

I beg to differ... I have so many friends in the area that are in their 20's and 30's that recently got married or engaged. The others are in committed relationships.
I wouldn't blame everything on the "men in DC". Perhaps the women they are encountering lack the qualities they are looking for that would make them WANT to settle down or commit.

I beg to differ... I have so many friends in the area that are in their 20's and 30's that recently got married or engaged. The others are in committed relationships.
I wouldn't blame everything on the "men in DC". Perhaps the women they are encountering lack the qualities they are looking for that would make them WANT to settle down or commit.

While I see what you're saying, I beg to differ. This town is crawling with BEAUTIFUL, slender, educated women who are also nice, interesting, funny, :blah: There are some with jacked up attitudes, but for the most part the women here seem decent and not crazy. (I know because we all commiserate in the bathroom at these "lounges" and speed dating events. :giggle:) I really think the men have all of the options at their feet when it comes to the DC dating pool.

While I see what you're saying, I beg to differ. This town is crawling with BEAUTIFUL, slender, educated women who are also nice, interesting, funny, :blah: There are some with jacked up attitudes, but for the most part the women here seem decent and not crazy. (I know because we all commiserate in the bathroom at these "lounges" and speed dating events. :giggle:) I really think the men have all of the options at their feet when it comes to the DC dating pool.

I'm sorry, but I think I'm going to have to agree with Glib here. :yep:

She's right about this^^^....

The dating scene has definitely changed in the area, and it seems like men (especially BM :look:) aren't in ANY "hurry" or "rush" to get married down here. :nono:

It really is a shame, because I have COUNTLESS of great, accomplished, NON-ghetto, educated and genuinely NICE girl friends who are STILL single because *some* (not all) of the men here play games, OR they shamelessly keep passing over the "good girls" to go chase after a woman who they deem more "edgy" or "easy" I suppose. :nono:

I don't see anything wrong with it. Seems like men are being more cautious with their choices. It's better than marrying the wrong one.
And just bc she's pretty or educated doesn't mean marriage material.
But again non of the folks in my circle seem to be having this problem.
I wonder if it's dc guys (natives) or simply guys that live here (transplants)?
If its the latter then we are simply speaking of guys in general.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

I dunno, I must be coming from some sort of dating hell. The guys here are plentiful, smart, kind, polite, seem to be looking for something serious and most of all respectful! I mean, I'm not married (yet), and i've barely been here, but so far i am not disappointed and I am beating them off with a stick!

ETA:
I've recounted both what I've read in this thread, and my own personal experiences to my best friend, and we both agree. If this is bad, I wanna know where you all are coming from before this, because I want to go there! :lol:

several of my girlfriends have relocated there in in the past few years. great place for career development. the dating side however, meh. one of my christian friends mentioned that even some of the christian guys expect girls to compromise their values because, well, its the numbers came. supply and demand. anytime i learn that a friend of mine over the age of 25 with a marriage mentality is moving to DC i'm excited for her career mobility but deep down i'm really hoping she isn't burned by the dating scene. :ohwell:

several of my girlfriends have relocated there in in the past few years. great place for career development. the dating side however, meh. one of my christian friends mentioned that even some of the christian guys expect girls to compromise their values because, well, its the numbers came. supply and demand. anytime i learn that a friend of mine over the age of 25 with a marriage mentality is moving to DC i'm excited for her career mobility but deep down i'm really hoping she isn't burned by the dating scene. :ohwell:

:nono::nono:

This may have been addressed already--I haven't been in this thread in a while--but is Baltimore any better? That's where I've been focusing my school/work ambitions as of late.

i've read many threads (here and on multiple forums) about the men in the d.c. dating pool

mainly that they have a sense of entitlement but have nothing going on for themselves

is it really that bad? i'm thinking of moving there after graduation and please believe a sista will be looking to date :yep:

Yeah, the men in DC really are THAT bad...and dumb...and pathetic...and some are even sociopaths! Those whom I've met here are engineers and such...very educated...and very dim-witted :lol: Weird too, cause they each think they are the best one that I've met since moving here, and they are all the same!

I'm educated and am a business owner, and consider myself reasonably attractive, but I can't see myself with any one of the men here that I've met. It's like they don't have an inkling of common sense. I've met some cuties, but none I'd be interested in dating. They lack substance...like clouds without water; sad....:perplexed

I'm from GA, and ATL (as some posted here) is worse.

Disturbing to see brothas so lost and dismantled in the head LOL!

Yeah, the men in DC really are THAT bad...and dumb...and pathetic...and some are even sociopaths! Those whom I've met here are engineers and such...very educated...and very dim-witted :lol: Weird too, cause they each think they are the best one that I've met since moving here, and they are all the same!

I'm educated and am a business owner, and consider myself reasonably attractive, but I can't see myself with any one of the men here that I've met. It's like they don't have an inkling of common sense. I've met some cuties, but none I'd be interested in dating. They lack substance...like clouds without water; sad....:perplexed

I'm from GA, and ATL (as some posted here) is worse.

Disturbing to see brothas so lost and dismantled in the head LOL!

I was going to say if your dating in dc foreign black men seem to be better to deal with.

I find American men in general to be very annoying and up their a$$. Any City, USA.

Maybe if I was born in another country, I would say the same thing about the men there.

Last edited:
Yes I live in Md I would say DC Md Va area is good for dating. Loads of eligible successful attractive men. The men here are into settling down.

SophieDulce said:
I was going to say if your dating in dc foreign black men seem to be better to deal with.

That's been my situation since moving here..no men are perfect, but I've met and dated several professional and pretty decent African men (American too). I think there's plenty of dating opportunities here, good and bad.

:bump:
Spent the weekend in D.C. The thirst is real over there.

So real, I've somewhat given up because I'm slightly heartless and have a low tolerance for bs. I can see through a man in 5 min. It's like everyone is auditioning for a boo

Back