April 2016: Hits & Misses

Miss:
Alter Ego Garlic Shampoo - really wanted this to be a hit but my hair was dry and rough after one shampoo after a heavy oiling. Now stuck with a huge bottle of nope. Hopefully I can try Chicoro's method to soften this stuff.

Hit:
Homemade methi paste - I finally got the formula right. Now, I can use and track my progress with it.

Hit
Tressemme expert botanique moisture conditioner

(The coconut one the replaced the nourish and replenish with)
Yes
it's thinner but it smells better and rinses out better. Which is perfect for me as I use it to cowash with and want something runny and nice smelling to steam my braids with in the steam room after a work out at the gym.

I've been waiting to try this. i'll pick it up soon as I can next time at the store. Thanks for the review

Hit:

Aloe Vera Juice and gel as a detangler. It's truly amazing and cheap! I'm on it for life if the formula never changes.
I cosign aloe vera juice as a detangler. I keep meaning to add the gel to my recipe but keep forgetting. I will though because I don't use gel anymore. I have two bottles just sitting on the shelf going to waste. My recipe: aloe vera juice, APB green powerhouse oil, and distilled water.

I cosign aloe vera juice as a detangler. I keep meaning to add the gel to my recipe but keep forgetting. I will though because I don't use gel anymore. I have two bottles just sitting on the shelf going to waste. My recipe: aloe vera juice, APB green powerhouse oil, and distilled water.

:yep: @Shay72, I actually add it to any cowash conditioner I use, I make my prepoo with it and sometimes I just mix it with any oil and add it to my hair to detangle with.

I am so happy, I don't lose excessive amounts of my hair in the comb anymore. I used it after my last henna treatment mixed in with some conditioner and it made detangling a breeze. Even my Aussie Moist by itself couldn't compete.

Miss:
The Atlanta Hair Show...clothing, high priced earrings, and Shea butter. I'm so glad I wouldn't have traveled here just for that. It has gone down hill for the past few years but I think it has hit rock bottom this year. The tickets were cheaper as was parking but I can clearly see why.

I mean, you had Camille Rose, Jane Carter, Alikay Naturals (Rochelle is such a doll), Uncle Funky's Daughter and Mielle, Shea Moisture (who's sale was better in the past BTW) but other than them, it was a waste. Camille Rose was good if you use her line and Jane Carter was good but I didn't have a desire to get either.

Shea Moisture didn't even have all their lines available :ohwell:.

The atmosphere was good though.

Hit: Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Conditioner

I really like this one and will probably be getting it during Ulta's next liter sale. Soft, smooth hair all the way down to my 4 months post roots. Nice tingly scalp too.

Meh: Silk Elements Glossing Polish

I'm glad I used the Chi serums first because now I have something to compare the others to. The Silk Elements one was not bad, just ok in comparison. It smells really nice though.

Hit:
APB conditions soufflé. I haven't even washed it out but it's just what my hair needed. Had less than half a jar but stretched it through and left it on with a gold conditioning cap.

Miss:
Protein. 2.5 years into my transition and protein ain't my friend :( I never thought J would see the day. My hair is soft and retaining the moisture, the issue is that it gets dry and hard, as if there isn't enough moisture. So I'm gonna go from 4-6 weeks to 8-10 weeks with protein and take it from there.

Continued Hit

Sheamoisture Low Porosity Leave in detangler, Holy grail status! I love this more than the High Porosity line. I can use this on naked hair and have FAB moisturized hair on its own. Great Refresher /styler for next day hair. LOVE. Next sale online, Im racking up.

Texture Me Natural Condition Me Softly, Great prepoo, good slip, awesome rinse out

New Hit
Texture Me Natural Green tea and Amla deep conditioner, creamy, sunk in immediately, great slip. Moisturized hair after rinsing ( only downside is not on sale its $17 by itself, NOT for 8ozs, no sir)

Sad Miss

Using my Sweet SoulMagicGel, once its gone, no more.. sigh

HIT:
Oyin Hair Dew: I had a bottle of this back when I was transitioning and had given it away to my SIL for my baby niece. I repurchased at the last Oyin bottling party I went to and lawd... the moisture retention is unreal. I notice a real difference in the lasting fluffiness and overall smooth feel to my strands. The word supple comes to mind when describing my hair right now. It feels that good. As a high-po natural, this level of lasting moisture has never felt attainable. :love: A related hit -- I got the 16oz for $17. I need the liter next time!

Type 4 Hair Creme: I've been sealing the Hair Dew with this and WOW. This stuff sinks into my strands and gives immediate softness. Really liking this. I've even gotten over the peculiar minty smell because it works so well. I'm usually really picky about scents but it barely lingers.

Hit: OGX Coconut Milk Conditioner

I lost less hair, it's soft and detangled well. Plus my hair smells good, affordable and available almost everywhere. Will definitely go on my rebuy list.

Hit: GVP Silk Remedy

Used it today and it has the same effect as Chi Silk Infusion. I'll treat myself if I find the Chi on sale but this will be the one I use otherwise... going to test a couple of others but this is good.

HIT:
Oyin Hair Dew:
I had a bottle of this back when I was transitioning and had given it away to my SIL for my baby niece. I repurchased at the last Oyin bottling party I went to and lawd... the moisture retention is unreal. I notice a real difference in the lasting fluffiness and overall smooth feel to my strands. The word supple comes to mind when describing my hair right now. It feels that good. As a high-po natural, this level of lasting moisture has never felt attainable. :love: A related hit -- I got the 16oz for $17. I need the liter next time!

Type 4 Hair Creme: I've been sealing the Hair Dew with this and WOW. This stuff sinks into my strands and gives immediate softness. Really liking this. I've even gotten over the peculiar minty smell because it works so well. I'm usually really picky about scents but it barely lingers.
Hi @Mische, where do you get the liter size in the bolded please?

BIG HIT:

Kerastase Therapiste Mask:lick: - this is an awesome treatment mask. It is strengthening yet it left my hair super manageable. Plus it smells amazing. I used it on Saturday and today I can still smell it in my hair. Unbelievable. I just got the accompanying prepoo, shampoo and serum and I can't wait to try those out.

@Aggie Yeah, the lucky price was due to it being a bottling party (they have 25% off at those). Otherwise, I'd order directly from the website during a sale. Now I want a snack pack for traveling.
Through trying to find this bottling party stuff in the quest to get deals I've found out there's an Oyin salon on the street of someone I'll be visiting in May. Now I'm trying to find any and every excuse to go for a visit. :drunk:

@Aggie Yeah, the lucky price was due to it being a bottling party (they have 25% off at those). Otherwise, I'd order directly from the website during a sale. Now I want a snack pack for traveling.
Thank you too @Mische :kiss: I'll wait until after my 3 month no buy challenge is over. I have an 8.5 oz bottle on hand for now that I'll be using. It should last me a while seeing that I have a plethora of other leave-ins I can use if I run out before the challenge is over:yep:.

By the way, I tried to visit the Oyin Handmade site and my Norton Security program blocked me from entering because it has some identity theft threat warning against it. So needless to say, I didn't try to go any further with that. I might look for it on amazon instead. Too scurrd to use the Oyin site for now.

Last edited:
HIT:
SM Manuka Honey Deep Conditioning Mask- that stuff right there is a relaxer in a bottle. Moisture for days and melts your hair down to butter. This is a "wait for it" product. It takes a little bit of time before the moisture power kicks in...I love it.

Naturelle Grow Moisture Boost (y'all know I love pictures)- I ordered a sample of this spritzer. VERY moisturizing refreshing spray. It makes my hair instantly more manageable. I am definitely ordering a full size bottle for me and my daughter. (And it smells like bubble gum.)
11375288_1628889694066554_525305950_n.jpg

Rainshow'r Shower Filter- This has been a life saver. Thanks to the ladies on the board who suggested that I try getting a filter. This has been a game changer for my hair and skin.
CQ-1000-White.jpg

@Aggie Thx for sharing that, I've been curious about that product. Adding to my wishlist.

Last edited:
Back