Apl Challenge 2017

I decided to take my twist out today. I will try them again at the end of next month.

I tried to mix castille soap and ACV with water to make a diuted shampoo but the ACV killed all the suds of the castille soap. I will try the castille soap next time with water and citric acid to see if that works. I only lost a little bit of my color but I am applying color this weekend so I will make it.

Just put my regular 2 strand twist in. Nothing new.

I washed my hair last night.. at 10:15pm lol

Did a shampoo with diluted VO5 Strawberries and cream shampoo. Added a few drops of peppermint and Eucalyptus oil to it. Then quick conditioned with the VO5 matching conditioner.

I detangled in the shower, hopped out and greased my scalp then did flat twists.

I will be sure to deep condition the last 2 washes of the month.

I'm joining in!

What length are you now?
My hair is extra short, but its braidable

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning?
I big chopped for the 3rd time 6 months ago on January 20, but my last texlax was in November of 2016.

What's your regimen?

I always detangle before doing anything else. I clarify, protein treat, & deep condition maybe once a month as I don't experience product buildup. I never cowash. I don't use heat unless deep conditioning via heating cap. I only use products on wash day. I texlax once a year. I don't moisturize & seal. I only moisturize as I've been doing for 10+ years by using my oil blend on my scalp alone which then spreads into my hair consisting of garlic, onion, basil, clary sage, olive, peppermint, cinnamon cassia, & stinging nettle. I don't use sealing oils. Every oil I use penetrates the hair shaft therefore it isn't sealing anything. I protective style 90% of the time & do almost the opposite of what people suggest because I know my hair like the back of my hand & it works without causing any damage or adverse effects to my hair.

What's do you need to do/change to reach APL?
I've made it to APL twice by following the same regimen above, so I will continue doing what I been doing. In addition, I'll stop getting bored with my hair & bleaching it or cutting it all off. Stop trying new things like weekly washing or washing while my hair is protective styled both of which cause all sorts of problems for my hair no matter how I do it or what I use. I need to remember that I know my hair like the back of my hand & stop trying to fix what isn't broken.

What's your goal month if any?
December 2017 would be great, but because I've done this twice before I'm not in a rush to get to APL I know it will come.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I didn't want to post this as a separate topic as I want to decrease the number of 4b naturals who see it and become disheartened, although I'm sure many will regardless. I'm feeling kind of discouraged about my hair texture. I know it's a mortal sin, but I'm kind of starting to wish I was a 4a. It was something I could never admit, because of the whole anti-black/ self hate issue. I never wanted to be that person so I'm reluctant to post this.
And I didn't even feel this way until recently, when I started being active on this board. Every time I get exited to see someone, with long type 4 hair, they are almost always a 4a. I've seen very few 4b/c people. It's like I never realized how much more of them have longer hair until now. I wish I had their coils and versatility as well. Also, looking at YouTube videos on growing long natural hair doesn't help, as many of them are also 4a. I feel like when it comes down to topic of long natural hair, 4as and up are always the default. I have to be specific and say 4b/c to get any useful information/ encouragement. I know that not everyone with a higher hair type has a easy time growing their hair, or this site wouldn't exist. It's just that from my own perspective, I have less hope than they do, so to speak.

I'm not going to stop trying to grow my hair long but part of me feels like the equivalent of keeping someone on life support to keep them alive, when they would otherwise die. And I'm already aware of everything regarding this topic/ issue, and possible counter-arguments against the life support analogy. I wholeheartedly agree with all of it, but it's not an argument, it's just how I'm feeling. I think I just needed to vent and be honest about how I feel, so that I can move forward with my journey.
I decided to look at it this way: Some things are very rare and/or difficult to achieve but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be attempted. It will be even more stunning and amazing to see.

Hey guys,

I didn't want to post this as a separate topic as I want to decrease the number of 4b naturals who see it and become disheartened, although I'm sure many will regardless. I'm feeling kind of discouraged about my hair texture. I know it's a mortal sin, but I'm kind of starting to wish I was a 4a. It was something I could never admit, because of the whole anti-black/ self hate issue. I never wanted to be that person so I'm reluctant to post this.
And I didn't even feel this way until recently, when I started being active on this board. Every time I get exited to see someone, with long type 4 hair, they are almost always a 4a. I've seen very few 4b/c people. It's like I never realized how much more of them have longer hair until now. I wish I had their coils and versatility as well. Also, looking at YouTube videos on growing long natural hair doesn't help, as many of them are also 4a. I feel like when it comes down to topic of long natural hair, 4as and up are always the default. I have to be specific and say 4b/c to get any useful information/ encouragement. I know that not everyone with a higher hair type has a easy time growing their hair, or this site wouldn't exist. It's just that from my own perspective, I have less hope than they do, so to speak.

I'm not going to stop trying to grow my hair long but part of me feels like the equivalent of keeping someone on life support to keep them alive, when they would otherwise die. And I'm already aware of everything regarding this topic/ issue, and possible counter-arguments against the life support analogy. I wholeheartedly agree with all of it, but it's not an argument, it's just how I'm feeling. I think I just needed to vent and be honest about how I feel, so that I can move forward with my journey.
I decided to look at it this way: Some things are very rare and/or difficult to achieve but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be attempted. It will be even more stunning and amazing to see.
:bighug: You feel like you feel.

I am also 4b and I understand the struggle. I don't have long hair obviously but I'd do believe we can get there. I think some of the reason more of us aren't there is because the products and techniques weren't customized for our hair. And it's so easy for people to say hair is hair and just do xyz and dismiss the issues.

So we don't necessarily have the help that others do but things are changing. We need to just tune out others and nail down the products and regimens that work for our particular hair and when it's working don't let anyone get you off track.

Appreciate every inch and every bit for progress. While you are waiting enjoy the company.

If I was only PC I would post links to some 4bs bit will try to do it later.

Joining!

Post the following to join in

What length are you now? Around SL I believe (see pic)

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? Natural

What's your regimen? Low mani, dc weekly, flat twists or bun during the week, occasional braid-out and heat usage (maybe monthly)

What's do you need to do/change to reach APL? I was kind of wreckless with my hair... not dc'ing regularly, not being gentle, sleeping all willy nilly with no proper protection, no real regimen. So I need to be consistent with what I'm doing and I'm sure I'll notice a huge turn around.

Goal areas: back, front, sides, crowns. Alladis

What's your goal month if any? Not sure... I don't know when realistically I'll hit APL. Definitely before the end of the year, but I dunno if it will take that long.

My hair looks dry in this photo but it's really not, it was just a bad pic DH took....

Post your starting pic of areas NOT APL.
hairOct16.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you @faithVA! Your post was exactly what I needed to read. Sorry for the negativity on what should be a positive thread, but I'm over it now. Just needed to get that out, but now I'm suddenly more optimistic and ready to move on. :yep:
So anyway... I did a roller set the other night and it came out nicely. I think that doing it tapered on one side makes it really cute. It's still going strong but if it's no good tomorrow, I'll see what will happen if I comb it out.

Thank you @faithVA! Your post was exactly what I needed to read. Sorry for the negativity on what should be a positive thread, but I'm over it now. Just needed to get that out, but now I'm suddenly more optimistic and ready to move on. :yep:
So anyway... I did a roller set the other night and it came out nicely. I think that doing it tapered on one side makes it really cute. It's still going strong but if it's no good tomorrow, I'll see what will happen if I comb it out.
If you can't be negative in here where can you be negative?

Hey guys,

See I'm the opposite. It's either folks in the 3s, or 4b & c that I have seen growth rentention. I'm 4a, and the coils can be a blessing, an a curse! The shrinkage is out of control, it's prone to tangles and knots (likes to curl up) etc... don't feel bad, we all have our struggles!

I washed my hair last night.. at 10:15pm lol

Did a shampoo with diluted VO5 Strawberries and cream shampoo. Added a few drops of peppermint and Eucalyptus oil to it. Then quick conditioned with the VO5 matching conditioner.

I detangled in the shower, hopped out and greased my scalp then did flat twists.

I will be sure to deep condition the last 2 washes of the month.
I thought I was the only one that still greased their scalp! I've read so many things about how bad it is to do that I never mention it, but once a week I grease my scalp with the light version of sulfur 8. I would never be able to go a full week without washing again if I didn't. My scalp gets so dry and itchy if I dont.

What grease do you use?

I thought I was the only one that still greased their scalp! I've read so many things about how bad it is to do that I never mention it, but once a week I grease my scalp with the light version of sulfur 8. I would never be able to go a full week without washing again if I didn't. My scalp gets so dry and itchy if I dont. What grease do you use?
Nope, you are not alone sis.

I use KeraCare Dry & Itchy Scalp Glossifier.
I get it at JC Pennys around the holidays when they sell them for $4.00 each. I stack up 6 and I'm good for the year. I use it on wash day, and then once again if my scalp is dry. Grease works for me. I'm not letting it go lol.

Dry & Itchy Scalp Glossifier

A scalp treatment that quickly relieves itching, dryness and flaking.

Effective against dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis and seborrhea. Also good for normal scalp during periods when scalp is dry, such as during the winter months.

Features-

Formulated with penetrating emollients and active ingredients. Soothes and relieves itching and scalp dryness. Helps prevent the return of dry, itchy scalp conditions. Gentle enough for daily use. Available in 7 oz. and 4 oz. sizes.

Benefits-

Moisturizes the scalp to prevent dryness and flaking.Helps preserve the scalp’s natural moisture balance.Restores dry and flaky scalps to a healthy looking condition.

Directions-

Apply to scalp and gently massage scalp with fingertips at least twice a week. May be used daily for maximum results.

Wonder if they still sell the big tub of humecto.....

They sure do.

KC Humecto in the 5.1lb tub is my staple deep conditioner.

http://www.brashaesbeautysupply.com Houston beauty supply sells it for $30.95 *(Black owned business)*

https://www.ensleybeautysupply.com Alabama bss sells it for $32.95

I've purchased from both stores online in the past. Not sure which one has lower shipping fees at this time. I only have to buy a 5.1lb tub ever 2 years since its just me using it.

Last edited:
For some reason, the hair in the very center of my head is shorter than the rest of my hair. I cannot for the life of me understand why. My left side has the same issue. I just did a pretty decent trim a few weeks ago, and I'm paying special attention to those areas so I'm hoping they flourish. But it's quite frustrating.

I'm almost out of my Mane Choice scalp oil and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to repurchase or buy something new. I like having something on my scalp to nourish it, and I do want something that will promote growth but I don't think there are any miracle oils out there (if y'all know of miracle oils, holla at me :lachen: ). I was using NJoy's oil at one point, I can't recall if I saw growth.

For some reason, the hair in the very center of my head is shorter than the rest of my hair. I cannot for the life of me understand why. My left side has the same issue. I just did a pretty decent trim a few weeks ago, and I'm paying special attention to those areas so I'm hoping they flourish. But it's quite frustrating.

I'm almost out of my Mane Choice scalp oil and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to repurchase or buy something new. I like having something on my scalp to nourish it, and I do want something that will promote growth but I don't think there are any miracle oils out there (if y'all know of miracle oils, holla at me :lachen: ). I was using NJoy's oil at one point, I can't recall if I saw growth.

I've noticed that a lot people have this issue. But for me, the hair on my crown has always been the longest. Have you tried Jamaican black castor oil. I know some people have problems with itching, but I never have. A lot of people use it to grow their edges back, although it's no miracle oil. If only:rolleyes:.....:angel2:

I've noticed that a lot people have this issue. But for me, the hair on my crown has always been the longest. Have you tried Jamaican black castor oil. I know some people have problems with itching, but I never have. A lot of people use it to grow their edges back, although it's no miracle oil. If only:rolleyes:.....:angel2:

Thanks so much!! I haven't used JBCO consistently, no. I use it in my DCs pretty often tho, alternating w/ hemp seed oil. I might make my own oil mix and include JBCO.... I also think I may need a new silk pillowcase. I sleep on my back/side often and I wonder if those areas need more protection.

She mixed it up, its only two shades lighter than my natural non-descript brown hair. Sorry nothing fancy bc of the henna I did for 6 years. LOL she just told me layers and shorter at the nape I'm desperately trying to go out!
Are you going to do it?

A lot of the times I see ladies on this board regretting they got layers when they are trying to grow their hair out. I guess it depends on how fast you want to get to your goal or if you are cool get there whenever.

Are you going to do it?

A lot of the times I see ladies on this board regretting they got layers when they are trying to grow their hair out. I guess it depends on how fast you want to get to your goal or if you are cool get there whenever.
tbh, I've always had layers, but they've mostly grown out. my crown is pretty lunch my longest layer and is just brushing shoulder length. My problem child, aka the nape, is the shortest layer. I'm backwards. :look:
I will probably do it, but I'll wait a couple more months

Back