APL by Dec 2010!!!

Woohoo! First challenge ever :D! Hey ladies :)

* What are you doing for growth: Washing twice a week, use a protein treatment with every wash (my hair LOVES protein for some reason, clarify/avc once a month, wear a scarf EVERY night, dust as needed, moisturize and seal twice daily!
* What are you not going to do: Handle my hair too roughly, get lazy with moisturizing, use direct heat EVER, and use bobby pins that break my hair ever again :nono: ETA: Huge one right here: attempt to STOP playing in my hair throughout the day. I think this also causes my hair to break.
* What length are you now?: Uneven SL. Honestly, if I could get a little past full SL I would be in heaven :drunk:

Oh, and question to anyone using vits. What are you using and how much? I'm thinking of getting fish oil biotin and GNC's hair skin and nails...but I wanted to be sure of the mgs i can take before purchasing.

Welcome!!
I take Chlorella (4000 mgs), Spirulina (3000 mgs), Acai (3000 mgs), Garlic (6000 mgs) and Biotin (7500 mgs). I think the Biotin is more than what most people take though. I haven't been seeing any bad effects though. I was taking 5000 mgs for two months, and then upped it to 7500 mgs in late November.
I'm thinking of adding GNC's hair, skin, and nails as well. Or switching out Acai for it.

My goal is to be APL by June 2010

what are you doing for growth?
Not much except protective styling for at least 9 months in the year.

what are you not going to do?-Really really minimise wash and go,
I think this giving set backs although I love it full shrinkage is causing so much knots and split as I am needing major trims.

what length are you now?- As I have layers, and will like to keep layers, I use my longest length which is currently collar bone length.

MINI ASSESSMENT:

• What are you doing for growth
Regular DC treatments 1-2X per week
Normally rollerset, occassional blow dry and flat iron
Less frequent relaxing (went from every 5 weeks to every 7-8)
Various supplements (garlic, just added Cap'Energy)
Low manipulation / protective styles
  • What are you not going to do
Abuse direct heat
  • What length are you now?
Shoulder length

Hey ladies :hiya2:

I still havent taken a starting pic yet. My camera phone isnt working, so that will to wait until next week.

In Jan I will be going to the dermatologist to see about a thin spot in my crown area. So my reggie may change. I was trying to bun and protect my end but my buns look a h.a.m. :nono: I think I'm going to stick to twists and twist outs until my hair gets a little longer.

hhg

Hi! I've been a long time lurker, and i want to start a new hhj for 2010!

What are you doing for growth

- low manipulation
- DC 2x a week
- protective styles (i need to figure out what to do with my ends, cause i don't like buns, but my ends are brushing my back/getting stuck in my bookbag/getting stuck in my earmuffs. its been a bad winter/school year for my hair.)
- finding out how to baby my edges
- continue being comfortable with my natural hair.

- What are you not going to do

be lazy with my hair. i.e. take it out of braids and not do my hair for 2 weeks.
(that was not a fun detangling session)

- What length are you now?
Uneven shoulder length.

I’m in. I hope I can keep track of all these challenges I’m signing up for :). I think I need all the encouragement I can get and I love every one of them!

What are you doing for growth?
Braiding and corn rowing for most of 2010
Taking hair, skin and nail vitamins
Low manipulation
What are you not going to do
No relaxers
No heat of any kind except when I need it straight every 8-12 weeks for length checks.
What length are you now?
The last time I checked was October and I was shoulder length then. Will check again when I take out my braids in 2 weeks and update.

I don't have a picture yet since i am in braids but will post soon.

- twistouts and buns
- Weekly Ayurvedic rinses and Monthly Ayuverdic washes only
- Daily oil massages
- Stretch relaxers 12 wks

What are you not going to do?
-Trim/cut (i have cut my hair yearly due to bad hair care :wallbash:and i say NO MORE to that:grin:)
-Direct heat

What length are you now?
-neck length/uneven shoulder

Last edited:
Hi there.

I would like to be added to this challenge and am grateful that there are not a lot of rules that I would have to keep up with. I don't know if trying to go for APL is reasonable or not, but by December 2010 will make it month 20 for me since the bc...so maybe I can do it.

• What are you doing for growth?
I stay in twists and twistouts. As it gets longer, I can do more twisted styles. I just don't want to mess with it a lot, so I figure low to no manipulation will be great for my hair.

I also put MT on my scalp a couple times a week and hope that will speed up my progress a bit. It works for me, so why stop? :yep:

I will not be doing trims. I will search and destroy single strand knots.

I will not be using heat except on special occasions like anniversary and birthdays and Christmas.

I will not be allowing anyone other than myself to do my hair.

I don't know what my length is called. I am neck length with pieces touching my shoulders on the sides and back. My flat ironed pics in my Picasa are not fully straight, but they give a kind of idea of where I am now

I'll take pics of my hair during the holiday since I intend to flat iron and wear it down then...

So excited!!!!

:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre

ETA: This is where I am now...

Back and sides..

Thanksgiving%20to%20Christmas%202009-1.jpg

Thanksgiving%20to%20Christmas%202009.jpg

Straightened...basically still this length...

Comparison.jpg

HHG to us all!!!

cj

Last edited:
I'm joining even though I have a ways to go. It should still be fun.

- Wrap or braid my hair at night and sleep in a satin bonnet or scarf.
- Shampoo and dc 1x a week and co-wash however many times I feel like during the week.
- Style hair in a protective style: braid out (love it!), twist out, bantu knots, bun (when my hair gets long enough).
- Stretch my relaxer for at least 12 weeks (no more than 3-4x a year.)
- Moisturize my hair 2x a day. Seal with coconut oil.
- Trim or dust hair when needed.
- Strengthen hair by using protein treatments when needed.
- Learn which products and techniques work best for MY hair.

No gel. No direct heat. No rubberbands, cotton, or metal.

What length are you now?
My hair is just below my ears in the front and a little bit passed the nape in the back. Enough to make a nice little bob.

Here's my starting pic.

Last edited:
* What are you doing for growth
Vitamins: GNC Ultra Nourish Hair
MSM 1000 mg
Biotin 2400 mcg
Omega 3
(Taking a few other vitamins every other day or once a week not for hair)

JBCO for certain areas on scalp
Stretching relaxers, Co washing, DC 1-2x, protective styling.. mosting braid out, or some kinda up do

* What are you not going to do
Minimal heat
Where my hair out often

* What length are you now?
Shoulder length approaching Armpit, uneven and in need of thickening up

I wont be able to take pictures until feb 9 2010

Last edited:
Okay I will post mine this evening. I can only get my hair but so straight cause I don't flat iron ....I hope that is not an issue

Since we're starting the 2010 challenges and all. :grin::grin:

*******UPDATED GUIDELINES************

Ladies please do forgive me!! I am oldschool around here and forgot that challenges have gotten extra real overtime :lachen: Thanks to the ladies who PM'ed me. :up::up: I did consult w/ SouthernStunner who started the 2009 challenge and I'll go ahead and take over for this one. Here are the guidelines :grinwink:

MINI ASSESSMENT:

• What are you doing for growth

OFFICIAL GUIDELINES:

• Keep everyone posted on your progress and Heaven forbid your setbacks. We are all here to learn and support one another.
  • Post pictures as much as you want!!! Keep in mind that you MUST post at the end of each quarter as well.
  • Be kind and support one another ladies. This will be challenging enough without the drama so keep the negativity to yourself. :grin::grin:

End of each Session Posting Time
(Pictures must be posted on these dates)
March 31
June 30
September 30
December 20​

I already did the mini assessment in the next post; I'll add a rollcall to it too :grin:

Man...here we go! :yay::yay::yay:

for growth i think i will be starting up a regimine, just started learning about hair care this week so growing might be a stretch.
things im not going to do is go more then a week without washing, no more makeshift buns, no cutting just dusting, no more highlights.
right now im at shoulder length.

I'm in :grin:

I'll continue with my weekly washes and dc and co-wash as needed. I'm also going to step up my workout game. To retain, I'll wear my hair up in a bun or updo at least 85% of the time.

Flat iron my hair more than once a month.

What length are you now?

Basically shoulder length. The back of my hair is slightly past SL and touches my collarbone and the front is just shy of collarbone.

Attachments

• DSCN2163.jpg
    DSCN2163.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Washing and deep conditioning with heat 1-2x week
Moisturizing and sealing everyday
Roller sets and twist outs
Aphogee 2 step every other month
Stretching relaxers to 16 weeks!!
I also take prenatal vitamins as my multi vitamin, 1000 IUs of Vitamin D3,
GNC Nourishair, Magnesium, and 2TBS of Omega 3-6-9 oil daily.

Cut/trim my hair
Use flat iron weekly
Ever wash without DCing

What length are you now?
A couple inches past SL. However, my hair is not even an inch long from the nape of my neck up around three inches, so I will be trying to grow that hair back. Luckily, my other hair covers all that damage. Thanks to a stylist who brushed my relaxed hair while itcwas wet to get out tangles after a pregnancy.

I will post my starting pictures Thursday. I am relaxing after a 12 week stretch.

Last edited:
K.I.S.S, Protective styling(halfwigs and buns), DC 2x per week, and Hair vitamins

No blow dryer(air dry only), excessive heat(maybe flat iron 2-3x this year), Major Cutting(micro dusting on texlax days)

What length are you now?

Between SL and APL

I want Full/Thick/Blunt APL!! I'm trying to grow out these layers and my hair is so thin!!
What does texlax mean?

wash and deep condition 1x a week
moisturize and seal twice daily
protective styling specifically braiding it up at least 70% of the year
stretching relaxer 14 weeks as opposed to my usual 10 weeks.

use direct heat
neglect my ends

What length are you now?
past shoulders

Attachments

• 103009009-vi-1.jpg
    103009009-vi-1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
My starting point:

Attachments

• IMG00117-20091126-1101.jpg
    IMG00117-20091126-1101.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 17
  • afro puff 2A.jpg
    afro puff 2A.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
MINI ASSESSMENT:

• What are you doing for growth?
  • Protective styling, moisturize daily, taking vitamins and healthy diet, weekly deep conditioning.
  • What are you not going to do?
  • No cutting and abuse of heat.
  • Neck length.

Not doing much for growth (no growth aid)
Wash and Dc once a week
cowash up to 4times a week
Getting addicted to ceramides :lick:

What are you NOT doing?

erhm.. Id like to say no heat but it seems like I have way less breakage when I flat Iron after airdrying
No sleeping without scarf (SO or not in same bed lol)

What length are you now?

SL with a very deep V and lots of layers..will post starting pic after flat iron session

I have been saying ill join a lot of challenges without it even beginning :lol: this one Im actually joining... I need it in my life!

Hi Guys!!!! I'm really excited about this challenge, My goal was really APL by August 2010 but this sounds even better! lol.

MINI ASSESSMENT:

- I am going to Baby my ends!
- I will also be trying to protective style more often instead of walking around with my hair WILD everyday!

- I am not going to go days and days without detangling my hair!
- Not cutting

What length are you now?
- Possibly shoulder length. I haven't straightened my hair since May 09, so I really don't know. But will be straightening for Christmas so I will come back and edit this and hopefully post a pic of some sort!

MINI ASSESSMENT:

What are you doing for growth:
Protective styling (bunning), Biotin, zero or very little heat regimen, stretching relaxers for 4-6 months. DC once a week, moisturize and seal every night. Tie with silk scarves. Trying out MN.

What are you not going to do:
Flat iron my hair every day at the highest temp, wear my hair out on my shoulders every day, drink pop and coffee all the time, use pink hair lotion and sulfate shampoos, relax ALL my hair every two months! Sleep with my hair out on a cotton pillow. With all the things I did wrong, I'm surprised I'm not bald!!! :lachen:

What length are you now?
in between NL and CBL, I'm 3.5 months into my first stretch.

1001307r.jpg

I've got almost 2 inches of NG, so frustrating!

Last edited:
I examined a few of my trands today, as I looked at the strand I noticed eery 1/4 to 1/2 inch there was a weak spot, up and down the entire stand:nono:. I am so worried that I will not be able to maintain these strands for an extended period of time. I am still protective syling, and DC'ing as well. I jsut want to stay focused on my APL goal without big chopping! *If you have any suggestionts to maintaint the hair, please provide your input.:grin:

Back