APL/BSL 2014 Challenge

Re: APL 2014 Challenge

I washed my hair after my workout lastnight. Don't mind the dry looking hair. I was blow drying. This is my current length. I should make APL next year if I don't decide to cut again. I hoping the wigs or braids will keep me away from the scissors.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 92
Hicks worked on these edges!!! I'm so shocked as nothing ever works! I just reapplied but my edges stayed down from earlier today. I swear all it takes is for me to see something mentioned on here and all of a sudden I have to have it... Smh! The hefty price tag didn't make it any better! I paid 14.99 at the bss! Here is a pic of my 8 week post relaxer hair! Keep in mind my hair only lays down the first two weeks after a relaxer and it laughs at gel and all other edge control-like products!!!

Attachments

• image-2411686556.jpg
    image-2411686556.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 74

Hicks worked on these edges!!! I'm so shocked as nothing ever works! I just reapplied but my edges stayed down from earlier today. I swear all it takes is for me to see something mentioned on here and all of a sudden I have to have it... Smh! The hefty price tag didn't make it any better! I paid 14.99 at the bss! Here is a pic of my 8 week post relaxer hair! Keep in mind my hair only lays down the first two weeks after a relaxer and it laughs at gel and all other edge control-like products!!!

All4Tris, those edges look good. I have some Hicks here I may have to pull it out. I am 11 weeks post.

I washed my hair after my workout lastnight. Don't mind the dry looking hair. I was blow drying. This is my current length. I should make APL next year if I don't decide to cut again. I hoping the wigs or braids will keep me away from the scissors.

I think you can do it. And yes put those scissors away!

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Those edges are laid honey. I know the price is high but I may have to try it on me and my girls. My hair will lay down okay but I have fly aways.

HPG

I'd like to join the challenge.

I've just subscribed today but have been lurking since I started my journey 2 years ago (I was shoulder length then). I transitioned to texlax from a bone straight relaxer. Made it to an unhealthy apl, went in for a trim yesterday and asked for only 1/4 inch off. They took about 2 or 3 inches without asking (I wanted to grow it a bit more before chopping it) so now I have to start all over again :-( It is still uneven after all of that!

Current hair length - SL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning - Texlaxed

Goal Month - August 2014

Current Reggie and styling choices
Prepoo with oils, mayo, and conditioners, clarify shampoo, and Deep condition weekly. Co-wash midweek (after dance class). Low heat. Aphogee 2 step monthly. texlax every 6 months. Buns, pin curls, pony tails. Daily hair, skin and nail vitamins.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Better protective styling, low manipulation, daily scalp massage with castor oil, and drinking more water. I don't want to wear wigs or weaves as I don't like the look on me. I also can't take care of my hair under sew in. I need to be more careful when dealing with my hair because I think I get a lot of breakage from detangling (even finger detangling) and styling. I wore a bun in the same place for most of this past year and had breakage in the middle. I need a simple go to style that can be easily changed up to prevent that happening again. I bought new clips and combs for buns but anyone have other suggestions?

I also got uneven hair when I did the search and destroy method the first year. Ended up cutting all the progress and had a big trim in Jan this year where the stylist tried to even it up. Not sure how I can ensure my ends are dusted regularly and evenly without all my progress being cut off?

Pics: I've attached my starting pic as well as a pic from a few months ago so you can see about the bone straight relaxer and damage.

ETA: Forgot to say I have also been moisturising and sealing nightly the last two years and wrapping with a satin scarf but I think the scarf has caused breakage at my edges and nape :-(

Attachments

• starting pic.jpg
    starting pic.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 54
  • apl.jpg
    apl.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

After washing out my henna last night, dc with DB dc for an hour with heat, rinsed that and added DB pumpkinseed leave in condish, Beemine growth serum to the scalp and DB coco bean moisturizer before twisting.

I did a deep botanical treatment yesterday and had a trim and flat iron. Stylist trimmed just under 1". It was much needed.

I freaked out a few months ago about that same thing. I bought castor oil and used it for about a month and now I don't notice it. Either it filled in or I was relieved that I was trying to do something about it and let it go lol... I think I did see some progress actually.

Hello,

While I am not shoulder length yet, the encouragement you guys gave me pushed me to join this APL challenge. I was saying in another post that the past fews months were brutal for my hair. so they are not looking their best right now. I lost a lost of the progress my made the past few months. But I guess this is why these challenges are here; to keep us on track.

So today I am officially joining the APL 2014 challenge.

Current hair length: Beyond NL but not SL yet

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: I am relaxed, I last relaxed in May, 2013

Goal Month: I hav such a hard time setting a goal. You guys tell me what you think from my starting pic.

Current Reggie and styling choices: I don't have a set reggie, but my go to style is buns, they're easy for work

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? I want to start better taking care. Cowashing more often, I also want to start moisturizing and sealing at least 2-3 times per week.

Post a beginning picture

I will post a begining picture with wet hair from 3 days ago. While I do have 6 months of new growth, but since my hair is wet, it wouldn't be much longer after I relax. Once I relax it (in a week or two) I will cut one or two inches off depending on how much I see needs to be cut at that time.

october311.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now the part I am most excited about. Since I am suchhhhh a bad judge at how long it takes to grow to a certain lengths, can someone tell me, judging from the beginning picture above, HOW MANY MONTHS YOU THINK IT'S GOING TO TAKE??? I think my hair grows slighty more than 1/2 inch per month.

Last edited:
Tatilove

^^^Welcome...

Id say from the pic maybe 3-4 inches depending on trims. So probably 6 months.

HPG

Last edited:

Tatilove

^^^Welcome...

Id say from the pic maybe 3-4 inches depending on trims. So probably 6 months.

HPG

Welcome Tatilove. This is what I was going to say. About 3" or about 6 months, your longest layers will hit APL. I think it is possible that once your relax and flat iron that you may hit it a bit sooner.

My hair is still stretched from my rollerset so I trimmed my ends today. It has been about 8 weeks. They were looking pretty scraggly. Getting ready to put in twists now to get me through the week.

~Current hair length: SL (in need of a little trim)
~Texlaxed
~APL goal month: MAY 2014
~Current Reggie and styling choices:
Bunning 90% of the time.
For special occasions, I'll wear my diy U part / full wigs with a leave out.
Heat pass once a month

Wash weekly
Co wash weekly if necessary
M/S daily
Scalp massage 3x week
Ghe 2x week
Baggying when at home
Care for my nape,edges and crown.

Beginning picture

ForumRunner_20131103_221926.jpg

ForumRunner_20131103_221951.jpg

Im letting my fenugreek paste sit for the next hour or two while I take a nap :look:

I love how slickery (is that a word?). This time I added safflower oil, coconut milk powder, tulsi powder and shikakai powder. I prepooed with safflower o/n before applying. I hope to see some good growth for our first LC :yep:

I LOVE this HHJ!!

My hair is starting to hang in the shower when I wash it. I can't believe it. I am so excited.

I did my protein treatment this weekend and my hair feels so much better. I have been using the Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk as a moisturizer but somehow winter hit overnight here in NY and I need something a bit heavier so my hair doesn't get dry. I must have moisturized my hair about 4 times yesterday.

My hair is starting to hang in the shower when I wash it. I can't believe it. I am so excited.

I did my protein treatment this weekend and my hair feels so much better. I have been using the Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk as a moisturizer but somehow winter hit overnight here in NY and I need something a bit heavier so my hair doesn't get dry. I must have moisturized my hair about 4 times yesterday.

I'm so jealous :lol: Congratulations.

That's gr8!

HPG

Im in

Current hair length- Grazing SL
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning- Relaxed
Goal Month- December
Current Reggie and styling choices- Bunning/Braids.
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?- Yes, protective style hard.

Attachments

• SAM_0713.jpg
    SAM_0713.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 44

I'm so jealous :lol: Congratulations.

That's gr8!

HPG

Now that I think about it I probably should have posted this in the twa support thread. haha But I have to figure out how to post pics. I always take a pic and then try to upload and it won't work. I'll try again tonight.

I've taken to washing my hair with my mirror on my sink so that I can see my hair while it's wet. I'm getting a bit obsessed with the growth. More than I was before. :look:

I'm on day 5 of my inversion. I hope to see some good growth by the end of the month. We shall see.

HPG

Just to say, I'm still in this, I know I said I'd post my official starting length pictures this month... My hair is out of the crochet braids.....but I haven't washed my hair yet.

Pre poo'd with KeraVada fenugreek oil and applied my NJoy oil. Dc'd with SD raz affair and then cowashed with HH sticky honey hash con. Dk what I'm going to do to my hair yet.

HPG

My wash day is fri and today I oiled each section and fe tangled and twisted it up... I found hair in the comb... Omg ... How do I know if it's breakage or shedding ? And how do I stop it... I just did a protein treatment last week!!!!

Transitioning. My last full touch up was May of 2011 and I stopped touching my roots (front sides and back part) over a year ago.

I seem to grow 1/2 inch pet month so I think in June/July of 2014. That's with trims too.i haven't needed a trim in 6 months because I barely use heat and kept my hair in box braids. So I may not need one until May 2014.

I put braids in after 3wks of wearing my hair down. When down I deep condition and wash once a week. In braids I wash once every two weeks and use braid spray and oils. Will be using inversion method more as well as deep condition. I wear braids up to two months. Take them out and use aphogee and wear it down 3 weeks. Ongoing prices until my hair is thick and past bra strap

Do inversion method monthly, increase protein, exercise 4 times a week once in braids, more

PhotoGrid_1383894512822.jpg

yoga, coffee rinse twice a month or four times, increase green juicing recipes monthly.

I co-washed and did an overnight DC with Kenra MC. I wet bunned today but, I'll do flat twists tonight for my weekend twist out!

ETA: I'm going to post my official starting pic when I relax. I have 3 weeks to go.

Back