APL 2012 Challenge

^^^I'm in New Orleans so humidity is an everyday problem lol. If I let her flat iron all my hair, it will MAYBE last 2 days.

Experience some breakage over the last 3 days. Half a dozen strands here, three or four there... realized I need a protein fix!

Did a quick WGO/EVOO pre-poo yesterday am. Washed with M&T Poo. Couldn't find my Aphogee 2-Step so I mixed the 2 Minute Keratin with an egg white, wrapped my hair in film and left for 30 minutes.

Rinsed the protein then mixed a conditioner of WGO, M&T Condish, Avocado/Coconut/EVOO Oil, wrapped in film for three hours. Moisturized with Cantu Shea Butter Moisturiser and left to airdry.

Bedtime I mixed Cantu Shea Leave-in Conditioner with Jojoba oil. Sealed with Coconut Oil and Shea Butter. Wrapped my ends in film, covered with a satin scarf.

I lost no hair during the washing process, which is great. Had a few more broken ones during the M&S, but only a couple.

I only did a similar protein treatment three weeks ago and had ZERO broken broken hairs between then and now... it might be that my hair gets on well with protein so I might do an egg treatment every two weeks to keep the breakage at bay.

I have little broken hairs too... always have had little broken hairs no matter how much I moisturized. But anytime I use a product with protein, my hair feels hard after the wash process and I really dont think it helps with keeping breakage at bay.

TBH, I'm stumped. :perplexed

I have little broken hairs too... always have had little broken hairs no matter how much I moisturized. But anytime I use a product with protein, my hair feels hard after the wash process and I really dont think it helps with keeping breakage at bay.

TBH, I'm stumped. :perplexed

The protein is the first line of defence. If my breakage continues over the next three days I am going to do a trim. Could you try a light protein, such as an egg white mixed with regular conditioner? Or even something like a cholesterol/keratin treatment? Please try a light protein, follow it up with a moisturizing condish and then do a DC overnight (you can add avocado or argan oil, honey, banana etc for extra softening and moisturizing, wrap your hair in film) and report back to us? Hard hair can be dealt with much easier than breakage. You should know when you rinse your con or DC out if there is a letup in the breakage. We can take it from there.

I rinse witth black coffee, wash with CON, light protein treatment, dcing now with suave almond and oil. I forgot its muffins with mommy at dd's school tomorrow.

starting pictures and measurements

LT nape 6.75
RT nape 7.0
Front 9.0
LT temple 7.5
RT temple 8.0

Finally some progress, more so on the left than the right :look:

Attachments

• LT Nape 24 Dec 2011.jpg
    LT Nape 24 Dec 2011.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 22
  • LT Nape 10 may 2012.jpg
    LT Nape 10 may 2012.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 23
  • RT nape 24 dec 2011.jpg
    RT nape 24 dec 2011.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 16
  • RT nape 10 may 2012.jpg
    RT nape 10 may 2012.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 25
i've been wearing my hair in twists like these.
i find i'm less active on the boards when i'm in a long-term protective style.
otherwise, the temptation is too great to just take them out haha.

will flatiron tonight! :grin:

Attachments

• IMG_1743.jpg
    IMG_1743.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1746.jpg
    IMG_1746.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1749.jpg
    IMG_1749.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 25
::Checking In::

I am going to hang out with my home girl tomorrow evening and really considering wearing my hair blown out. :eyebrows2 She thinks that I should rock my u-part wig but I see myself everyday in this joint and I would like to have a different hairstyle since I am going out (the beauty of natural hair ... POW! :woot:) The only thing that has me second guessing myself is the amount of time it takes to blow my hair out (in the tune of 1.5 hours) and the fact that I have somewhere to be early Saturday and I KNOW my hair is going to be hella lopsided, looking something like a hot mess (the beauty of natural hair ... boom! :cry3:) I am hopeful that I am able to pin my hair up into a descent style for Saturday if I decide to blow it out on Friday ... please send me good hair vibes ladies. :love:

Hey ladies, I found an easy way to bun. No more ponytail holders for me. I just twist my hair around as though I am doing a bantu-knot and then I use a bobby pin to hold it down. It works so well and now I don't experience the breakage like I use to when taking the ponytail holder down. Yay :banana:

Hey ladies, I found an easy way to bun. No more ponytail holders for me. I just twist my hair around as though I am doing a bantu-knot and then I use a bobby pin to hold it down. It works so well and now I don't experience the breakage like I use to when taking the ponytail holder down. Yay :banana:

It sounds very nice Lurkee. Will you take a pic and show us when you get a chance? tia

It sounds very nice Lurkee. Will you take a pic and show us when you get a chance? tia

I just took a quick picture. It is messy but you get the idea.

P1030009.jpg

faithVA I was thinking the same thing. I can't wait until my hair is long enough to bun. I get so jealous of all the bunners out there.

Omg ladies...how do you manage to get through your Reggie and get through your day???
I decided to try a hot oil treatment today which really isn't the problem... I am a sahm to a 17 month old, it's always a struggle to get through my Reggie and keep up with her...how do you ladies that have kids, go to work and/or school find time to dedicate 1-3 hours for hair care...I can't seem to make it work... I just did a hot oil treatment for 2hours when I only meant to do it for 20 mins... It always ends up like this to

Omg ladies...how do you manage to get through your Reggie and get through your day???
I decided to try a hot oil treatment today which really isn't the problem... I am a sahm to a 17 month old, it's always a struggle to get through my Reggie and keep up with her...how do you ladies that have kids, go to work and/or school find time to dedicate 1-3 hours for hair care...I can't seem to make it work... I just did a hot oil treatment for 2hours when I only meant to do it for 20 mins... It always ends up like this to

I did that stuff at night. But i still have that issue now and mine are 4 and 5! :lol: best advice is at night or when hubby is home. I would wake up before them to do my hair too. Do u have a pack and play? That always works!

My hair didn't turn on me after the protein treatment and the detangling session went well. I had to run a few errands so i gotta roller set later. I guess i could do it now.

I did that stuff at night. But i still have that issue now and mine are 4 and 5! :lol: best advice is at night or when hubby is home. I would wake up before them to do my hair too. Do u have a pack and play? That always works!

I tried but the dryer always wakes her up =\... And my hubby likes to spend time with us so nights a no go...she has a pack n play but she's so mobile and independent that she hasn't really used it since she was like 7 months...she was running at 9 mo so um no lol, she doesn't like to be confined to small spaces...this is really a sun up to sun down process that I'm over already

Eta I started around 12:30 this afternoon and it's 7 and in just sitting under the dryer =\

Last edited:
Obviously I'll still be here for a while longer. I'm going to put in some extension braids tonight.
Maybe when I take those down, I'll claim apl :grin:

Back