APL 2012 Challenge

@gvin89

Sorry for the late reply, I got an exact replica of this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aphrodite-Compact-Ionic-hair-Steamer/dp/B0021H97TK

£100 cheaper at my local bss got it for £49 and the version I got also came with a facial steamer attachment :D

Going to use it to pre-poo and dc today, will update with results!

P.S - I had to use more protein in my regi, my hair was mushy yesterday. Medium protein 1x week

shortdub78 I used to use heat weekly. Air dry/blowdry and flat iron; I know it sounds crazy but I was able to retain more in the long run as I wasnt fighting with the newgrowth daily while I was learning about my hair. I have only decided to do a low/no heat regi due to my workouts and too see if it really helps in the health of my hair - so far im fighting frizz and the odd ssk :look:, but my hair is shinier and appears thicker.

@Lurkee I noticed the ends of my hair started feeling rough, I would trim it every month, but the ends started feeling the same again within a few weeks - On a closer look, my ends looked frizzy, no split ends. Now I apply rose water and seal with castor oil every night on the ends (absorbed by morning), end baggy 3x week, protein to the ends 1x week and dust every 6 months.

Last edited:
@Lurkee how deep a trim do you think you need? do you know what may have caused the ends to break?

I agree with @Blairx0 above if you definitely need a trim then snip away...yet it's best to try and see what could have caused the breakage? I remember hearing the ladies here trying out the baggie method to help stop breakage this may help. I've also read and seen great natural hair YouTubers mention the ends are the oldest part of our hair this is why I apply OCO from ears to end each evening (so far so good)!

Here's a quick website that mentions the age of our ends and how to protect them with simple ideas Protecting Your Ends - I hope this helps!

livinthevida Thank you for the reply. I break all the laws of a HHJ. I cannot sleep with anything on my head, the satin pillowcase rubbed the oil from my hair into my face and gave me cystic pimples (still have the scars to prove it). I comb through my hair when putting it into a bun. I don't PS with wigs/weaves and braids so my hair is always exposed... I swear by CO too. I use it every single day, my hair feels good just those darn ends.

@gvin89

@Lurkee I noticed the ends of my hair started feeling rough, I would trim it every month, but the ends started feeling the same again within a few weeks - On a closer look, my ends looked frizzy, no split ends. Now I apply rose water and seal with castor oil every night on the ends (absorbed by morning), end baggy 3x week, protein to the ends 1x week and dust every 6 months.

I would try this, thanks. I have some Castor Oil.I will use it on the ends to see if they look as smooth as the rest of the hair.

I decided to get a sew in. My edges and the top of my hair are out. I'll be applying MN, as soon as I get my hands on some, with a bit of aloe juice and tea tree oil. I may have to add in lavender for smell. I don't like the lingering smell of tea tree oil alone, though I LOVE tea tree for all things skin-related.

Anyway, I went and got my sew-in at a braiding shop. She was nice and she didn't braid my hair too tight. She didn't exactly rake through my hair, but was not as gentle as I would have liked. Though... I'm really, really tenderheaded. Considering that I'm texlaxed, I wish she had been using a wider tooth comb. By the time I was turned to face the mirror and realized she was using her own comb most of the braiding was done.

Long story, longer, she kept going on and on... and on and on... and on and on about how damaged my hair is. I kept telling her that I know, I shouldn't have dyed my hair and I'm moving forward. Finally, she said that I have bald spots in the back and next time I want my hair dyed I should go to her. She also said that I should keep my sew-ins in for a month, take them out and then see her for treatments. My hair IS noticeably thinner, that I know for sure, but I'm not sure I trust her.

This is the first I've heard of bald spots and I just got my hair trimmed two weeks ago when I went home to SC. I've heard that my strands are damaged, but that's it. I get my wash and sets in the neighborhood by a dominican lady and my relaxers done by Juanita further into Brooklyn. Anyway, I was shedding A LOT when I first dyed my hair, but I feel like, if I had bald spots, Juanita (the only one with a before and after to go off of) would have said something. Now, I'm really worried, but I can't do anything but wait and see for myself.

We miss you @NikkiQ :hiya:
Thanks faithVA :bighug:

I'm BAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!

Landed back in New Orleans this morning around 1am and I am pooped! Vegas was great, but my poor hair needs a pampering STAT! Gonna make today my wash day and put in a fresh set of Celies for the week. Good to be home. So...what did I miss??? Do I need to kick some people out??? :lol:

I wear them under my wigs and take them down for a braid out at the end of the week. They are so not cute when I do them so I would never wear them out. Can we say 'hot mess'?

Lurkee said:
HauteHippie :bighug:

Sorry about that. The woman might be exaggerating so you should check and feel for any bald spots yourself.

Thanks. I think she might be exaggerating. I moisturized and detangled my hair section by section before seeing her, but once I take this weave out, I'm going to check more thoroughly.

Thanks @faithVA :bighug:

So...what did I miss??? Do I need to kick some people out??? :lol:

Yes you do. There were all type of long haired divas passing through here showing off their hair. It was too much. Made me have to go get a Godiva Chocolate Covered Cherry Martini to make it through mey day :lol:

I decided to get a sew in. My edges and the top of my hair are out. I'll be applying MN, as soon as I get my hands on some, with a bit of aloe juice and tea tree oil. I may have to add in lavender for smell. I don't like the lingering smell of tea tree oil alone, though I LOVE tea tree for all things skin-related.

Anyway, I went and got my sew-in at a braiding shop. She was nice and she didn't braid my hair too tight. She didn't exactly rake through my hair, but was not as gentle as I would have liked. Though... I'm really, really tenderheaded. Considering that I'm texlaxed, I wish she had been using a wider tooth comb. By the time I was turned to face the mirror and realized she was using her own comb most of the braiding was done.

Long story, longer, she kept going on and on... and on and on... and on and on about how damaged my hair is. I kept telling her that I know, I shouldn't have dyed my hair and I'm moving forward. Finally, she said that I have bald spots in the back and next time I want my hair dyed I should go to her. She also said that I should keep my sew-ins in for a month, take them out and then see her for treatments. My hair IS noticeably thinner, that I know for sure, but I'm not sure I trust her.

This is the first I've heard of bald spots and I just got my hair trimmed two weeks ago when I went home to SC. I've heard that my strands are damaged, but that's it. I get my wash and sets in the neighborhood by a dominican lady and my relaxers done by Juanita further into Brooklyn. Anyway, I was shedding A LOT when I first dyed my hair, but I feel like, if I had bald spots, Juanita (the only one with a before and after to go off of) would have said something. Now, I'm really worried, but I can't do anything but wait and see for myself.

She may be exaggerating but I agree you should check it out with a mirror. I had been getting my hair done for a year and my stylists never mentioned I had any bald spots because she worked around them. One day I took an aerial shot of my twists :blush: And I was absolutely shocked at how much hair I was missing and that people just let me walk around like that without saying anything :nono:

So hopefully it isn't true. But when you take out your weave, do some mirror/camera work and check it out for yourself.

Darenia said:
Wow EasypeaZee your braidout came out very nice. Looks just like you curled it. How many braids did you put in and was it done on wet or dry hair?

Hi! Thanks! I put in about 8 or 9 braids and rolled them after. My hair was only slightly damp. I'm not a fan of manhandling my hair while its wet :(

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Ok ladies I'm having a lazy moment and I need some motivation. I think I keep watching my hair for results when I just need to leave it alone! Here in a little while I'm going to wash and deep condition. And I tried cowashing for the first time Wednesday and it wasn't a bad experience at all. May try it again if it's not too much manipulation.

Yes you do. There were all type of long haired divas passing through here showing off their hair. It was too much. Made me have to go get a Godiva Chocolate Covered Cherry Martini to make it through mey day :lol:

I have been sleeping on the Godiva Chocolate Covered Cherry Martini's, yumm :yep:

Ladies here are my 90 Day Results of scalp massages and using Organic Coconut Oil (OCO) to help improve my thinning hair in front!

:yay::yay::yay:

Count me as a believer for sure :grin:!!! You can see I just brushed using my Brush Strokes Bristle Brush with waves all the way around and there's still a bit of OCO in my hair with some of that shine! These are up close pics and a timeline from January 2012 - April 2012. I think you can really tell my hair is thicker between the 30 day and 90 day mark :yep:

sorry for bad lighting too that's what happens when using a bberry camera :lol:

Attachments

• UpClose_90DaysAfter_Pic1.jpg
    UpClose_90DaysAfter_Pic1.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 27
  • UpClose_90DaysAfter_Pic2.jpg
    UpClose_90DaysAfter_Pic2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 27
  • UpClose_90DaysAfter_Pic3.jpg
    UpClose_90DaysAfter_Pic3.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 33
  • jan feb mar apr _90daysafter!.jpg
    jan feb mar apr _90daysafter!.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
^^^Those are some GREAT results livinthevida. WTG!

I just got done shampooing my poor hair and now I have a DC concotion that I hope brings my hair back to life. A little Kerapro,olive oil cholesterol, and my favorite SE Mega Moisture treatment :lick:

I noticed something though. My hair isn't long at all. Like it looks like it hasn't budged a bit. Maybe I'm trippin, but it sure makes APL look like a year long goal.

Here's a quick look inside my OCO jar it's at the half way mark now since January 2012 < - - - - > right at the Coconut Oil line:

Attachments

• insideOCO_pic1.jpg
    insideOCO_pic1.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 17
  • insideOCO_pic2.jpg
    insideOCO_pic2.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 14
Ok ladies I'm having a lazy moment and I need some motivation. I think I keep watching my hair for results when I just need to leave it alone! Here in a little while I'm going to wash and deep condition. And I tried cowashing for the first time Wednesday and it wasn't a bad experience at all. May try it again if it's not too much manipulation.

CoWashing is very addictive cause it's so easy. Also the different conditioners you can use. Have fun with it. Itbthicken my hair tremendously.

Continue to do what works for you if u dont have any problems using OCO then ride it till the wheels fall off! Im glad ur having good results with using it alone I have to add my to DCs or use it as a sealant or my hair is straight cheetos. Lol xtra crunchy
LOL! lamaria211 extra crunch munch :)

I'll definitely keep using this OCO at least until the jar is empty :lol: I do wonder though since I am noticing my hair is getting thicker and scalp is better overall do I upgrade my HHJ regimen now?

I've already upgraded to a 9 row brush to help manage all of this hair and I have pretty much stuck to the basics for 3 months. I finally know what really works on my hair and scalp. So now that there's improvement do I upgrade my regimen too???

hmmmmmm....I wonder if there's a regimen out there in the web with other ladies who have noticed their hair becoming thicker as they transitioned and then upgraded their regimen to keep up with the changes in their hair???

I wash once a week with a variety of shampoos but I like Wisely Made, Ouidad those are my favorites then I deep condition after every wash with Aussie Moist 3 min miracle. I leave it on for about 20-30 min with a plastic cap on. I finger detangle before I wash the conditioner out. Once or maybe twice a week I co-wash with Suave Almond Shea Butter. I PS 90% of the time in buns or updo's. I use Giovanni Direct Leave In or Original Sprout Leave in Condish and a variety of creams for styling I like Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Blended Beauty Curl Styling Butter, Miss Jesse Curling Pudding, and and then seal with Coconut Oil.
Sweeeeet tiffjust2002! Happy to see we have another faithful user of Coconut Oil :yay:

@livinthevida Thank you for the reply. I break all the laws of a HHJ. I cannot sleep with anything on my head, the satin pillowcase rubbed the oil from my hair into my face and gave me cystic pimples (still have the scars to prove it). I comb through my hair when putting it into a bun. I don't PS with wigs/weaves and braids so my hair is always exposed... I swear by CO too. I use it every single day, my hair feels good just those darn ends.

@Lurkee oh I know what that's like! slipping and sliding with a satin pillow this is one reason why I switched from pink snap on rollers to foam rollers. When I went to bed with slightly damp hair and snap ons my hair was still wet when I woke. I learned one rule is to sleep with dry hair when resting on satin!

As an alternative have you tried a cotton/silk blend pillowcase? these are usually like 60% Cotton 40% Silk here's one on Amazon. I've enjoyed the silk pillowcase this winter yet as summer arrives in 2 months I will be switching over to a cotton/silk blend for cooler nights :yep:

@Lurkee oh I know what that's like! slipping and sliding with a satin pillow this is one reason why I switched from pink snap on rollers to foam rollers. When I went to bed with slightly damp hair and snap ons my hair was still wet when I woke. I learned one rule is to sleep with dry hair when resting on satin!

As an alternative have you tried a cotton/silk blend pillowcase? these are usually like 60% Cotton 40% Silk here's one on Amazon. I've enjoyed the silk pillowcase this winter yet as summer arrives in 2 months I will be switching over to a cotton/silk blend for cooler nights :yep:

You slept with snap ons :blush:

Foam rollers sound good. I think I will buy some and check out the blend pillow case. Thank you. I am thinking of changing my regi from a weekly traditional rollerset to weekly blow dry on damp hair and rollers. I was going to use flexis but the satin covered foam ones sounds more comfortable.

This thread feels like my "home" on LHCF. :grin:

2hrs later and DC is still on :giggle:

Guess I'll go ahead and wash it out while I'm in the shower in a bit and detangle in there. Makes it SO much easier to do the Celies when hair is already detangled.

HauteHippie sorry you went through that! I agree with the ladies here when you have a chance call up a good local buddy, part your hair into sections and carefully examine your hair section by section. Thinning hair is one thing but balding is another!

I hope everything turns out ok! You will feel better once you check it for yourself :)

You slept with snap ons :blush:

Foam rollers sound good. I think I will buy some and check out the blend pillow case. Thank you. I am thinking of changing my regi from a weekly traditional rollerset to weekly blow dry on damp hair and rollers. I was going to use flexis but the satin covered foam ones sounds more comfortable.

This thread feels like my "home" on LHCF. :grin:

I know @Lurkee yet I promise it was only when I just wanted to set it and forget it :lol: really when I was too tired to wait for my hair to dry.

Foam rollers are easier to store and they are pretty comfy too. It took me sometime to learn how to hold them as they are softer than a snap on (the ones I use are satin foam rollers another good alternative to sleeping on a satin pillowcase!). Here's the one's I picked up at my local Sally Beauty and a quick pic of me wearing them at an earlier post:

P.S. I :heart2: this thread too! the ladies here are AWESOME!

Attachments

• foamrollersrear_pic1.JPG
    foamrollersrear_pic1.JPG
    2 KB · Views: 112
  • foamrollersrightside_pic2.JPG
    foamrollersrightside_pic2.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 112
  • foamrollersleftside_pic3.JPG
    foamrollersleftside_pic3.JPG
    2.8 KB · Views: 111
  • foamrollersfront_pic4.JPG
    foamrollersfront_pic4.JPG
    1.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I put coconut oil in my hair and rolled it last night early. I took them out at noon today and finger styled. Well its 95 degrees and hair lasted all of two hours.,the roots looked like cotton balls and the rest was stringy.

Ugh!!!!

Back