Aphogee DISASTER- ive been detangling matter roots for SIX HOURS

abcd09

:wallbash::wallbash:

I could not feel anymore discouraged.

I dont know what I was thinking but I used double the hard Aphogee protein treatment, did as the directions saud, washed it out for about ten minutes then used the conditioner followed by Humecto and Jojoba for 2 hours.

My roots are a matted mess. All over my head. There is not ONE piece of hair that isnt matted badly. It feels like little dreds EVERYWHERE

I dont know what I was thinking putting all that Aphogee then wrapping my hair under the dryer. Ive done it before with half the formula and wrapped it and it came out fine.

Today I am totally discouraged and upset. Detangling under the water/with conditoner/ did not help at all. I even tried cowashing when I realized the first time I could not get it untangled.

Ive been using jojoba oil, coconut oil, and a little bit of leave in and in SIX FRIGGIN HOURS I only have one half of my head detangled, if that, because it keeps retangling for some reason.

For the love of all that is good and holy, what should I do.

Hun I'm sorry to hear this. If it was me, I would go and get whatever tub/bottle of moisturizing conditioner I have and let it sit for as long as possible. When you're redi to wash it out, try detangling with a wide tooth comb. If you keep tryin to comb thru it while its drying and tangled it'll cause more damage. If I am wrong ladies please step in. THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO, idk about every1 else. No more oils or messing with it, just add some conditioner let it sit. Silicon mix is pretty good and cholesterol is also HTH.

I don't have too much advice, I'm sorry. But what I would do if I were you is braid up the sections of hair that you have managed to detangle in order to prevent retangling.

If it keeps tangling back up you may need some PC stat! It should stop the velcro effect.

Thanks, guys. I did sit with humecto on my head for 2.5 hours last night to no avail.

After I washed that out I put MORE humecto on. Still nothing.

Detangling wet hair- is that safer than detangling dry hair??

My hair was tangled under water/out of water you name it.

Last edited:
Was your hair completely detangled before you applied the protein?
Just curious, but is there a reason you wrap your hair with the protein?
Do you have a thicker conditioner, like a cholesterol?
Does your hair feel hard now?

No it wasnt completely detangled. And I wrapped it because I saw my stylist do this without problems. Its worked before when I used the Aphogee. I think combination of wrapping and using too much Aphogee did me in. I put in another amount because before one package did not cover all of my APL hair.

I lose way too much hair trying to detangle wet hair. I detangle on damp hair after applying my leave-ins. But to each their own.

Taken from this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=90692

Try an acidic conditioner like Nexxus Ensure or French Perm Stabilizer. "It's all about pH. Hair (or the protective mantle of the hair) has a pH of 4.5-5.5 (acidic). The neutralizing shampoo and acidic conditioner both serve the same purpose: return the hair to its normal pH. When the hair is at its normal pH the cuticles of the hair shaft lie flat. All of this helps to eliminate tangles. Its really quite interesting." - from linked thread

Dang. Sorry to hear that. That's why I only used that stuff twice. It was just too harsh for my hair. I was going to suggest sitting with conditioner on for a long time but I see you've already done that. Maybe an overnight DC and not just 2.5 hours? Hopefully someone can chime in and help.

I think the humecto did you in. Isn't that a protein also? With the Aphogee Two Step, you have to use the Balancing Moisturizer that comes with it. Its in a hot pink bottle and it is supposed to be used after the Two Step. They usually sell it together. Try using that. You need more moisture, not oils or more humecto, beecause after a hard core protein treatment, you HAVE to follow up with a moisturizer, that being the Balancing Moisturizer by Aphogee.

OMG, I'm sorry this happened to you. Do you have any olive oil? You need to do a hot oil treatment right away to soften up your hair.

Saturate your hair with oil and sit under the dryer for at least 10 minutes. After that add more of your moisturizing deep conditioner and sit back under the dryer for 5-7 minutes. Let that sit for a while before you start to detangle again.

Never wrap your hair with the protein treatment in, your hair should be hagnging loose and preferably to the back. You may have used too much.

I hope that helps.

Yeah I used the conditoner that comes with it. It left my hair hard.Humecto has no protein in it. It's purely a moisturizing conditioner.

I think the humecto did you in. Isn't that a protein also? With the Aphogee Two Step, you have to use the Balancing Moisturizer that comes with it. Its in a hot pink bottle and it is supposed to be used after the Two Step. They usually sell it together. Try using that. You need more moisture, not oils or more humecto, beecause after a hard core protein treatment, you HAVE to follow up with a moisturizer, that being the Balancing Moisturizer by Aphogee.
yup... couldn't agree more... i would use con conditioner as another choice... use with heat... it gets the hair really soft and therefore easier to detangle

I had the same problem not too long ago where I could not wash or co wash my hair without ending up with mats all over. I even resorted to CUTTING a chunk out I was that hopeless. The problem ended up being a porosity issue. PC did nothing for me at the time but Apple Cider vinegar was a miracle elixir.

What I did was mixed a capful of ACV with water or aloe juice and Kinky Curly Knot Today and Neutrogena Triple Moisture leave in. Shook it up and sprayed liberally. I have been using this mix daily actually to keep my porosity under control and ever since, I have been able to wash, co wash, and use Aphogee hard core with not problem.

In the future you definitely should fully detangle before you wash especially if you have overly porous hair.

Im doing PC right now. I have a chunk that is one big mat. My boyfriend said when his dog's hair did that the cut it off..lol. Under the dryer I go .

I am thinking ACV mixed with water. You don't much vinegar. Add that to water. In a bucket or gallon jug. Pour over head several times. Then as you can, take small sections and work on them with a wide tooth comb or fingers. Once you get a section done, completely untangled, saturate with oil, and braid. Once your whole head is done, rinsed well and wash with a moisturizing shampoo. Ovenight condition with a moisturizing conditioner. Sorry girl :bighug: Let us know how it goes.

Im doing PC right now. I have a chunk that is one big mat. My boyfriend said when his dog's hair did that the cut it off..lol. Under the dryer I go .

Try your moisturizer without using the dryer. I'm thinking you are just drying it out more and faster than if you let the conditioner soak into your hair.

I did a 2-Step Saturday. I didn't have any of the problems you had, but I did sleep with a moisturizing conditioner in my hair overnight under a plastic cap for good measure.

On second thought, can you wrap you hair in a hot, wet towel and go under the dryer instead, for a steam treatment? I'm almost positive that will help you. HTH

Sorry you are going through this with your hair. I use Aphogee hardcore protein every 3 months. I always rinse for about 10 minutes and then I shampoo with diluted shampoo. I do one lather and then I follow with Keracare Humecto and my hair is always super soft.

sorry this happened. i wonder if something heavy in cones would help? i know they are excellent detanglers. maybe a serum like Chi Silk Infusion. do you have a pet store or tack & feed close to where you live? i've read that Eqyss Survivor Super Detangler is really good. i've read that Paul Mitchell The Detangler is good.

whatever you try i would try it on just one small section to see if it works. that way if if made things worse you didn't put it over your whole head.

Sorry you are going through this with your hair. I use Aphogee hardcore protein every 3 months. I always rinse for about 10 minutes and then I shampoo with diluted shampoo. I do one lather and then I follow with Keracare Humecto and my hair is always super soft.

I shampoo lightly after the treatment also before conditioning with a moisturizing DC. If the PC doesn't work, I would suggest DCing with Creme of Nature (old purple and white bottle or the new deep moisture) or a cholesterol conditioner. Those have worked for me in the past. A hug and lots of luck! :bighug:

You'll be able to get better results on semi dry hair.

Start with your fingers first. You will lose some hair but you can get there.

Start combing from the bottom up.

This sounds like everyones worst nightmare. (((hugs))) Im sorry your going through this.. sending you >>> good hair vibes <<<

I wouldn't mess to much with it at this point.. Remember... Hair doesn't like to be wrestled with... Ive lose sooo much hair that way... I would honestly sleep with every DC Id have in the house with a plastic bag and a towel on.

Just take a couple OTC pain meds of your choice, drink some water.. Tackle this after you've rested.

Id be tempted to reach for the WD40 but.. Just Say No! :lol:

Back