I will never use Aphogee again!!!!!......

This is why it works great after an Aphogee treatment.

Good info!

Hey ladies,

I saved this post some time ago:

Hmm.. Found this on another site. This may be the reason why it is safe to use Emergencee weekly. Does anyone know the difference between polymetric and protein conditioners??

"Nexxus Emergencee is not PROTEIN treatment like Ouidad, Redken Deep Fuel, or even Keraphix. (The ingredients are not the same.) It's a Polymeric treatment, which bonds hair together and preserves and promotes elasticity. (Proteins usually just ""fill up" spaces in the hair.) That said, after trying emergencee, it really works great to restrengthen the hair, but the results are different from protein treatments. I think those of us with serious hair repair work in front of us would benefit from alternating between protein and polymerics. "

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the polymers in Emergencee actually wrap little fibers around the hair to keep it protected and in tact. Proteins penetrate and "fill in" as you said.

I think a clear rinse would be similar to a polymeric conditioner.

Sorry I missed this. I use them back to back and follow up with Biolage Ultrahydrating Conditioner or Lafier Lanolina Rinse. Both moisturize and hydrate my hair really well post protein tx.

Hey ladies

So would it be a good idea to use GPB for protein (to fill) and then follow up with Emergence (to coat)?

Polymetrics get into the difference between fortifying products and protein products. There really is a difference between the two and IMO they work best when used in tandem. I think alot of people who are experiencing alot of breakage and split ends even after decreasing manipulation and increasing protein usage, need to check out using more polymetric products and other fortification products. Its one thing to replenish protein into your hair but I have found that sealing this in so to speak with products like polymetric conditioners make the treatment more effective. Alot of times when you are suffering from weak hair, its not just protein depleted, your cuticle is also messed up from the constant back and forth swelling of too much moisture. This back and forth can cause the hair to stretch beyond its natural threshold and eventually it will break. This happens alot on the ends of the hair. At that point, a protein treatment just isn't enough. Its more effective to use a protein treatment and them supplement your regime with fortifying products.

This topic really does open up a lot of issues I have noticed for a while in how some of use troubleshoot. We tend to equate hard hair with too much protein which is not effective and our default answer to moisture problems is more moisture conditioner which again is not always effective.

Great thread. Glad is been bumped.

HHT!

I came into this thread like "what's wrong with Aphogee??" lol

But, yeah, Nexxus Emergencee is good, too.

I put a little on the ends of my hair before and then slathered it on right after the neutralizer.

Yes it does harden like aphogee but not break your hair off nasty crunchy type harden. Its just a gel that you squeeze onto your hair after your shampoo. Unlike aphogee it is NOT runny and doesnt stink.

I don't think you are supposed to use the aphogee hard treatment during relaxing anyway, you are supposed to use it 1 week before or 2 weeks after (not sooner as it can make your hair sort of revert).

This might be why you experinced breakage :nono:

I don't think you are supposed to use the aphogee hard treatment during relaxing anyway, you are supposed to use it 1 week before or 2 weeks after (not sooner as it can make your hair sort of revert).

This might be why you experinced breakage :nono:

Ok..... Well since I never said that I used aphogee during the relaxer I dont think thats it.

If youll read my posts I have NEVER used aphogee DURING a relaxer. The post you are quoting about how I use a product is about NEXUS EMERGENCEE not APHOGEE.

Im not sure why everybody seems to think thats what Im talking about as that is NOT what Ive said I do....lol :look:

Last edited:
I love aphoghee! But I've never ever known it to be used the day of a relaxer. Not the hard core protein stinky stuff. I know some people use the Aphoghee 2 min reconstructor after rinsing the relaxer out and right before neutralizing. I always use my Aphoghee 1 wk before my relaxer and 1 wk after. My hair loves it.

Hey ladies,

I saved this post some time ago:

Hmm.. Found this on another site. This may be the reason why it is safe to use Emergencee weekly. Does anyone know the difference between polymetric and protein conditioners??

"Nexxus Emergencee is not PROTEIN treatment like Ouidad, Redken Deep Fuel, or even Keraphix. (The ingredients are not the same.) It's a Polymeric treatment, which bonds hair together and preserves and promotes elasticity. (Proteins usually just ""fill up" spaces in the hair.) That said, after trying emergencee, it really works great to restrengthen the hair, but the results are different from protein treatments. I think those of us with serious hair repair work in front of us would benefit from alternating between protein and polymerics. "

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the polymers in Emergencee actually wrap little fibers around the hair to keep it protected and in tact. Proteins penetrate and "fill in" as you said.

I think a clear rinse would be similar to a polymeric conditioner.

Sorry I missed this. I use them back to back and follow up with Biolage Ultrahydrating Conditioner or Lafier Lanolina Rinse. Both moisturize and hydrate my hair really well post protein tx.

Hey ladies

So would it be a good idea to use GPB for protein (to fill) and then follow up with Emergence (to coat)?

Polymetrics get into the difference between fortifying products and protein products. There really is a difference between the two and IMO they work best when used in tandem. I think alot of people who are experiencing alot of breakage and split ends even after decreasing manipulation and increasing protein usage, need to check out using more polymetric products and other fortification products. Its one thing to replenish protein into your hair but I have found that sealing this in so to speak with products like polymetric conditioners make the treatment more effective. Alot of times when you are suffering from weak hair, its not just protein depleted, your cuticle is also messed up from the constant back and forth swelling of too much moisture. This back and forth can cause the hair to stretch beyond its natural threshold and eventually it will break. This happens alot on the ends of the hair. At that point, a protein treatment just isn't enough. Its more effective to use a protein treatment and them supplement your regime with fortifying products.

This topic really does open up a lot of issues I have noticed for a while in how some of use troubleshoot. We tend to equate hard hair with too much protein which is not effective and our default answer to moisture problems is more moisture conditioner which again is not always effective.

Great thread. Glad is been bumped.

HHT!

I thought the Aphogee 2-step protein treatement was supposed to be done 1-2 weeks BEFORE a chemical service? If your hair always breaks after a relaxer, could it be something else thats causing the breakage?

Check out the addendum I added to my post.

Ok, sorry I must have read it wrong :)

No biggie... I just want to stave off the confusion.

When I relax, I usually get some kind of protien treatment for after I neutralize. Sometimes its aphogee two step. I Relax, rinse, neutralize, then do the two step (hard) protien treatment. followed by a moisturizing deep condition after... Last I rinse, apply leave in, and air dry or style whatever I need to do. My hair usually does wave up a little after the protien treatment... but I dont mind it and it has never caused damage. I have never experienced damage FROM this.

Sometimes, I will do a relaxer, neutralize, deep condition rinse airdry and then the very next day to the hard protien. So it varries... but I NEVER use aphogee 2 step DURING a relaxer as I did with the Nexus.

I used nexus on my hair during my relaxer because the instructions suggest that it can be used as a pre-treatment during harsh chemical services. So by applying it to my ends I was trying to protect the ends of my hair while I was relaxing the roots. That is something I do NOT do with aphogee. It is a NEW thing I tried... Along with a NEW product :) And.... it worked!

Bumping to share AND to learn who's still using this…

I still have breakage even after using ApHogee.
I think I'll go hard for about a month and see what difference I see in my hair re: breakage. I never worked hard to completely eliminate breakage and possibly why I'm still not at full WL. I want to try Emergencee.

:perplexed... Emergencee did nothing for me, hmmm may lookinto using up what have left... I LIVE by Aphogee 2-min re onstructor... :yep:

Those that use, how/what is process for application?

I thought a protein con shouldnt be done with a process treatment like perming... :nono:

Last edited:
I love Emergencée which to me is a RECONSTRUCTOR which means it is has both protein for strengthening and water for moisture. It also has polymers but that doesn't mean it isn't a protein treatment Fine 4s. It has collagen amino acids (PROTEIN!!!) too so the theory that one needs protein along with Emergencée because it is nothing more than a polymeric product is wrong in my opinion.

These are the ingredients in Emergencée: Water (Aqua, Eau), Collagen Amino Acids, Polyacrylamidomethylpropane Sulfonic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Gelatin, Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

And the description of the product from Nexxus website:
Emergencée Strengthening Polymeric Reconstructor is unsurpassed in repairing and strengthening hopelessly damaged hair. Emergencée is unmatched in stopping hair breakage. This exceptional formulation contains a renewing blend of Polymers, Elastins, Amino Acids and Collagen, creating an internal framework within the hair shaft to restore integrity. Use once every two weeks to structurally reinforce hair that has been chemically damaged or abused by thermal styling appliances. Each treatment will dramatically improve hair's health, condition and shine.

I have used Nexxus Emergencée since the early nineties. Like OP, I was introduced to it when my hair was breaking left right and center. I had a jheri curl and would wake up with hair on my cap...and hair'd be on my collar. Went for a treatment at a salon and was introduced to this wonder and my breakage stop immediately after treatment. I was sold. Never looked back.

ETA I have never even wanted to try Apoghee. Aubrey's GPB and Emergencée are the two reconstructors I use for my DCing. They work so well for me that I've never been interested in anything else.

Last edited:
Back