An Accidental bit of Moisturizing Mojo....

You're right Kiya.
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8437

Quote: Sea salt is used by ecologic hair dressers around the world. Sea salt is one of the best ways to get rid of protein build up as it breaks down protein. I´ve used it many times in my indigo and henna mixes so I know that it´s very good for the scalp (think:bath salt) and there are many sea salt hair sprays for adding waves to hair as well as mildly brightening it.

Thank you for posting and answering my question, JustKiya. My hair feel very soft, like WOW! :yep:

Here are my measurements:
4 oz. Conditioner (Tressemme's Moisture Rich)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
I also used a plastic cap and allowed the mixture to stay on 35 minutes.

Completely Dry and No product

Lovely!! Is your hair normally that blingy, or did it add a little shine, too?

I used White Rain Ocean Mist. This has five different kinds of sea kelp/algae in it and sea salt is right up there between one kind of kelp and the next kind. I added a smidge of honey, a splash of aloe vera, some Back to Basics ginger therapy and some of my horsey/keratin mix. Like JustKiya, I regularly use a good eight ounces of condish for my CO washes, but I have ALOT of conditioners. I added a teaspoon of sea salt. Wet my hair had little shrinkage, was moisturized, light/airy, strands separated and shiny and no tangles, knots or mats in sight. Dry it was the same – moist, no tangles, really cottony soft (that good kind of cottony, not the bad kind) and fluffy with incredible body. The litmus test will be how well it retains moisture throughout my workday and workout. After a BS treatment, it will suck up moisture much quicker throughout the day, so I will be interested in if this does the same or not.

Glad it worked for you!! I did the BS & CA version over the weekend, and I ALMOST considered skipping my normal mid-week DC, since my hair still felt so moist - so I'm hoping your hair feels lovely all day, too!

This thread is very interesting to say the least. The ladies on here are the best.:yep: I am curious too about how the results will be for relaxed ladies.

Wait a minute, isn't Womanly Charm relaxed?

:yep: I'm 90% sure that she is.

What would be a list of common alkaline substances that we could use create that "corrective step"? I have the citric acid and the BS. I'd like to try the "correcting step" to see if I can reduce some of my shrinkage. My guess is that the results are temporary if done with very moderate amounts.

The most common one would be baking soda! :yep:

You're right Kiya.
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8437

Quote: Sea salt is used by ecologic hair dressers around the world. Sea salt is one of the best ways to get rid of protein build up as it breaks down protein. I´ve used it many times in my indigo and henna mixes so I know that it´s very good for the scalp (think:bath salt) and there are many sea salt hair sprays for adding waves to hair as well as mildly brightening it.

Interrrrrrresting. :scratchch And, I'm not concerned about it being SO good that it'll break down our hair - no one has ever gone swimming in the ocean and come out bald, so I figure a couple of hours of a much lower concentration mixture on the hair won't cause issues, either.
I wonder what they mean by 'brightening' it...... *eyes hair* I'm all for a bit more red in my life.....

And I REALLY can't wait to mix some salt in with my henna now!

Once again - thank you ladies!!! :bighug: :love3:

This thread is very interesting to say the least. The ladies on here are the best.:yep: I am curious too about how the results will be for relaxed ladies.

Wait a minute, isn't Womanly Charm relaxed?

Yessir, I sure am! :grin: And it worked great for me!

ETA: I'm due for a relaxer, and somehow, this treatment did help my new growth, and made it softer and much easier to work with...I'm hesitant to say it "loosened" the curl, but it's definately...different. In a good way!

ETA again!: and I do use salt in my indigo, it helps the color get super duper black! All hail salt! Lol!

Last edited:
Thank you for posting and answering my question, JustKiya. My hair feel very soft, like WOW! :yep:

Here are my measurements:
4 oz. Conditioner (Tressemme's Moisture Rich)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
I also used a plastic cap and allowed the mixture to stay on 35 minutes.

With the mixture

Wet

Completely Dry and No product
That is so pretty, that's amazing and boy is it shinny and your curls are beautiful. Will you braid my hair for me, I'll pay you $$$ :grin:

Geez, if the goal is to break the protein hair bonds down in order to render hair softer and more manageable... I wonder if:

MEAT TENDERIZER would work? Off to check ingredients.....

JustKiya,

Girl....you outdid yourself with this one. My hair feels amazing.:yep:

I did a CW with it this morning. I only used a 1/4 teaspoon to a 1/2 cup of conditioner and as soon as I put it in my hair, my hair got so soft. I let it sit while I showered and then I rinsed it out. My hair felt silky after the rinse and it still feels silky dry. I only used a very small amount of moisterizer (my own blend) and I don't think I needed to use anything.

This is going to be a staple for me from now on.

Thanks again, girl!

Geez, if the goal is to break the protein hair bonds down in order to render hair softer and more manageable... I wonder if:

MEAT TENDERIZER would work? Off to check ingredients.....

:lachen: It might! :lol: I love how we just start experimenting and branching out!

JustKiya,

Girl....you outdid yourself with this one. My hair feels amazing.:yep:

I did a CW with it this morning. I only used a 1/4 teaspoon to a 1/2 cup of conditioner and as soon as I put it in my hair, my hair got so soft. I let it sit while I showered and then I rinsed it out. My hair felt silky after the rinse and it still feels silky dry. I only used a very small amount of moisterizer (my own blend) and I don't think I needed to use anything.

This is going to be a staple for me from now on.

Thanks again, girl!

:clap: :clap: :clap: Girl, it was all an accident!!! :lachen: Sometimes the best things are accidental though, eh? I'm SO glad that your hair turned out wonderful & silky! :yep:

:lachen: It might! :lol: I love how we just start experimenting and branching out!

:clap: :clap: :clap: Girl, it was all an accident!!! :lachen: Sometimes the best things are accidental though, eh? I'm SO glad that your hair turned out wonderful & silky! :yep:

Thanks girl. My curls did pop back, so I think that if others who are using it and their curls aren't, then maybe they are using too much...JM2C.

Thanks again for the Kiya Fizzle (Shimmie, that name certainly fits).....I'm too excited:yep:

I tried the bentonite clay and salt mixture and my hair is still super soft and moisturized(I didn't believe my hair would still feel like this after it dried). My hair also looks better. I like to cowash and will be adding salt for now on. Thank you for keeping me natural :)

I tried the bentonite clay and salt mixture and my hair is still super soft and moisturized(I didn't believe my hair would still feel like this after it dried). My hair also looks better. I like to cowash and will be adding salt for now on. Thank you for keeping me natural :)

:bighug: You are more than welcome!!

How often do you cowash? Please keep us updated on how it works over the long-term, too.... :yep:

:thud: :love3: :clap:

WOW!! :wow: That's FABULOUS information!!

But, wait.................. Are you saying that using this might straighten my HAIR!?!? :nono: Seee. I would be really hot. :lachen: Seriously, that's just a mean choice.

That's seriously amazing - and interesting - information. I will not be a test subject for the straightening aspect though. *clings to her naps* :lol:

I wonder if you skip the 'fixing' step, if you can avoid that....... :ohwell: Hrrm.
Kya, don't know if it actually works. Was just interpreting what the patent entry said.

But it did also say you had to keep the hair wet and stretched and at a temperature higher than that of the body for a period of time for the relaxing effect to kick in.

Maybe one would do it with rollers under the dryer??? :look:

You know, this is kind of reminding me of that product Curlaway. It seems the key ingredient is apple vinegar and from what I read, it promises to gradually straighten over SEVERAL applications, if you put it on wet hair, smooth it somehow, and then let it dry stretched. It also promises that hair will revert if you stop using the product. When I was reading up on it, I saw some complaints that it took too long to work (and smelled strongly of vinegar).

Kiya, don't know if it actually works. Was just interpreting what the patent entry said.

But it did also say you had to keep the hair wet and stretched and at a temperature higher than that of the body for a period of time for the relaxing effect to kick in.

Maybe one would do it with rollers under the dryer??? :look:

You know, this is kind of reminding me of that product Curlaway. It seems the key ingredient is apple vinegar and from what I read, it promises to gradually straighten over SEVERAL applications, if you put it on wet hair, smooth it somehow, and then let it dry stretched. It also promises that hair will revert if you stop using the product. When I was reading up on it, I saw some complaints that it took too long to work (and smelled strongly of vinegar).

Ahhh. Okay. I'm happy with that, then. :lol: Oohweee, though, if we've somehow stumbled across a 'homemade' curl-loosener, that would make a WHOLE LOTTA people happy. :lol:

Someone was asking about doing it under the dryer too..... most interesting.

I just tried it with Suave Lavendar condish. I checked the ingredients and there was no citric acid but there was another salt potassium chloride. Also I'm wondering if Kosher salt is acceptable because that's all we had around the house. At any rate I mixed it in my hands and there was no foaming action. :ohwell: Maybe you have to d a more thorough mixing before you apply to get that effect? I left it on for about 20 minutes, rinsed completely and let my hair dry straight back. I used a castor oil/glycerin/aloe vera/rosemary water spray as a leave in and I'm letting it air dry before I bust out the Maxiglide. It doesn't feel any different or more moisturized but I'll see when I finish straightening. :yep:

I just tried it with Suave Lavendar condish. I checked the ingredients and there was no citric acid but there was another salt potassium chloride. Also I'm wondering if Kosher salt is acceptable because that's all we had around the house. At any rate I mixed it in my hands and there was no foaming action. :ohwell: Maybe you have to d a more thorough mixing before you apply to get that effect? I left it on for about 20 minutes, rinsed completely and let my hair dry straight back. I used a castor oil/glycerin/aloe vera/rosemary water spray as a leave in and I'm letting it air dry before I bust out the Maxiglide. It doesn't feel any different or more moisturized but I'll see when I finish straightening. :yep:

The salt alone most likely won't give the foaming action. The baking soda + citric acid foams, because another byproduct of the chemical reaction between the two (besides the salt) is carbon dioxide, which creates bubbles, and water. So, I wouldn't expect foaming if you are using straight salt. :yep:

Is Kosher Salt NaCl? If so, I don't see a problem - assuming that the salt dissolved, and it didn't stay 'chunky' since Kosher Salt has bigger grains...

*hopeful that you'll see good results*

The salt alone most likely won't give the foaming action. The baking soda + citric acid foams, because another byproduct of the chemical reaction between the two (besides the salt) is carbon dioxide, which creates bubbles, and water. So, I wouldn't expect foaming if you are using straight salt. :yep:

Is Kosher Salt NaCl? If so, I don't see a problem - assuming that the salt dissolved, and it didn't stay 'chunky' since Kosher Salt has bigger grains...

I only used salt and conditioner and it foamed a little:yep:

Ah I thought that you were the only one really doing the baking soda and citric acid. I thought I read that others were adding salt to conditioners only and that the conditioner had the citric acid and they noticed foaming that way. Of course your explanation makes sense. I'm just super lazy and was hoping I could get away with adding just the salt. :spinning:

I only used salt and conditioner and it foamed a little:yep:

mine foamed a lil, too, but i added a tablespoon instead of a teaspoon, lol

next time i'll follow directions :grin:

Most interesting!!! What sort of conditioner did ya'll use, and did it have another salt, or citric acid in it?

Hrm, I didn't expect that!

Ah I thought that you were the only one really doing the baking soda and citric acid. I thought I read that others were adding salt to conditioners only and that the conditioner had the citric acid and they noticed foaming that way. Of course your explanation makes sense. I'm just super lazy and was hoping I could get away with adding just the salt. :spinning:

Interesting. I think that you should be able to get away with just the salt, but hrrrm.

I wonder what's in the conditioner causing it to foam with the salt. Someone did say that they use salt as a volumizer in products - I wonder what it's combining with, now! :scratchch

Any science sisters know off of the top of their head what + salt -> gas? :lol:

Most interesting!!! What sort of conditioner did ya'll use, and did it have another salt, or citric acid in it?

Hrm, I didn't expect that!

Interesting. I think that you should be able to get away with just the salt, but hrrrm.

I wonder what's in the conditioner causing it to foam with the salt. Someone did say that they use salt as a volumizer in products - I wonder what it's combining with, now! :scratchch

Any science sisters know off of the top of their head what + salt -> gas? :lol:

I used Trader Joe Nourishing Spa conditioner...that's it.

Not sure of the ingredients...someone who has it in front of them, please see if there is something in there....thanks.

Lovely!! Is your hair normally that blingy, or did it add a little shine, too?

I haven't dried without product before and I think the flash on my camera was a little bright. To answer your question, I only added salt and the Tressemme Moisture Rich has citric acid.

Here's a comparison shot of plain conditioner (top) and conditioner and salt (bottom) *Moisture Rich*

That is so pretty, that's amazing and boy is it shinny and your curls are beautiful. Will you braid my hair for me, I'll pay you $$$ :grin:

Sure, if you don't mind being a little experimentation :look:. I don't have much experience at braiding other people's hair.

Last edited:
Relaxed head:

Ok, I tried it. 1 cup conditioner (vo5, humec, triple silk), 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp sea salt.--left on 30min.

No foaming.....when I mixed the lemon and salt in the conditioner it became VERY liquid and as soon as I applied it felt great--very soft.

Ok--is it b/c of the mixture that it felt so great afterwards....no sé, but nonethe ess it feels great. But I think it does.....b/c it feels better than usual.

Next CW day I will use just salt just to compare the difference.

This may be a GREAT find JK:yep:

I haven't dried without product before and I think the flash on my camera was a little bright. To answer your question, I only added salt and the Tressemme Moisture Rich has citric acid.

Here's a comparison shot of plain conditioner (top) and conditioner and salt (bottom) *Moisture Rich*

Sure, if you don't mind being a little experimentation :look:. I don't have much experience at braiding other people's hair.

Interesting!! It definitely looks - thicker, with the salt. Hrrrrrmmmmm. And the Tresseme has citric acid!!

I really don't need an excuse to buy more conditioner, ya'll. :lachen: Srsly.

Relaxed head:

Ok, I tried it. 1 cup conditioner (vo5, humec, triple silk), 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp sea salt.--left on 30min.

No foaming.....when I mixed the lemon and salt in the conditioner it became VERY liquid and as soon as I applied it felt great--very soft.

Ok--is it b/c of the mixture that it felt so great afterwards....no sé, but nonethe ess it feels great. But I think it does.....b/c it feels better than usual.

Next CW day I will use just salt just to compare the difference.

This may be a GREAT find JK:yep:

And NO foaming with the vo5/humec/triple silk mix, but still, wonderfully soft feeling hair afterwards. Hrm, hrm, hrm..... *considers starting a spreadsheet*

:clap: I'm glad it worked for you - and please let us know how the plain salt works, too! :yep:

Relaxed head:

Relaxed head, also.

I dissolved 1/2 t. table salt in a little water and added 1/2 c. VO5 conditioner. After 2 stirs, it increased in volume, kind of mousse-like. But on the 3rd stir, it immediately turned to liquid. I applied a little on my hair as a test but the mixture had curdled like when you add lemon to milk. :drunk:

I let it sit on my hair maybe 2-3 minutes (scurred!) and rinsed. My fair felt like... somebody else's hair it was so silky! :yep: I started over with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 c. condish and the mixture came out much better. Airdried with scarf overnight. My 7 weeks of OCT new growth is pretty flat and my hair has lots of body. My edges look like they're freshly relaxed. :lachen:

Relaxed head, also.

I dissolved 1/2 t. table salt in a little water and added 1/2 c. VO5 conditioner. After 2 stirs, it increased in volume, kind of mousse-like. But on the 3rd stir, it immediately turned to liquid. I applied a little on my hair as a test but the mixture had curdled like when you add lemon to milk. :drunk:

I let it sit on my hair maybe 2-3 minutes (scurred!) and rinsed. My hair felt like... somebody else's hair it was so silky! :yep: I started over with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 c. condish and the mixture came out much better. Airdried with scarf overnight. My 7 weeks of OCT new growth is pretty flat and my hair has lots of body. My edges look like they're freshly relaxed. :lachen:

Firstly, :woot: that it worked so well for you - even with the false start!!!

Secondly, Most interesting with the whole turning into water/curdling bit - I really should have paid more attention in chemistry class! :lol:

Just used 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon sea salt(dissolved) into 3 oz of Nexxus humectress for my cowash.

I didn't leave it on long (just during my shower..about 10 minutes) and WOW:shocked:

Soft soft soft! I rinsed like a lot because I was like why does my hair feel like I got con in it? :lachen:

For those that have humectress laying around and you didn't like it, try it this way:yep:

I was in the mirror flipping my hair back and forth:rocker::lachen: I was in love all over again.

I use acv rinses pretty regular and its NOTHING like this.

Oh and I'm wavelaxed.

ETA: and mine also curdled but hey I'm not complaining.

-A

Last edited:
:bighug: You are more than welcome!!

How often do you cowash? Please keep us updated on how it works over the long-term, too.... :yep:

I cowash everyday, so I will be tracking my hair's progress. I'll definitely post pictorial results of long term usage.

Ok guys I had a lightbulb moment.

Traditionally water softeners used salt to soften the water. This probably accounts for the slick feel:yep:

Depending on where you are, if you have hard water you will in REALLY notice a difference. We have a filter on our direct water line but water but not a softener.

Bicarbonate (baking soda) is a neutralizer of acid. Meaning it raises the PH. Naturals, I'm not sure what that means in terms of your hair long term but, for those that are using it it could mean basically that your relaxing the hair over time.

I don't know what it will do to the PH of conditioner or even regular water. I've got some PH papers here so I'll run a test on our water to see what I come up with.

ETA: I'm not a scientist I'm using some basic 8th grade stuff :lachen: so bear with me.

-A

Last edited:
I just tried this today as part 2 of my weekly DC and the results were fantastic!!

Let me start by saying, that normally I wouldn't think of my hair as being dry or crunchy unless I put a bad product it. Usually I find it soft and cottony with some curl definition and I am pretty cool with how it feels. When I put started this process, I didn't expect a dramatic difference but oh man was I wrong!
Here's what I did: last night I DC'd with a mix of a detangling condtioner, moisturizing conditioner, food grade aloe vera gel, and about a table spoon of baking soda. I skipped any sort of washing or clarifying because my mix had backing soda in it and I figured that after DCing I could just massage my head as I rinsed. I applied the mix to damp hair and then sat under the dryer for an hour. When I rinsed, my hair felt like butter and my curls were a little more defined. I loved it :yep:

After rinsing, I braided and let my hair dry overnight. This morning I made a mix of a teaspoon of salt, 1/2 a tablespoon of garlic, some honey, some alma oil, and Joico Moisture Recovery. I applied to dry hair and then sat under the dryer for an hour. When I got in the shower to start rinsing my hair, I nearly passed out from how soft my hair felt!!
My hair has NEVER EVER EVER felt like this before. I couldn't stop grinning and I couldn't stop touching my hair. It's silky, soft, and the curls are so so so defined. They are a little looser, but not a worrying amount. My hair is just so smooth! The growth I've gotten from Mega-tek is also about ten times softer.

You have seriously brought us a piece of hair gold!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!! :bighug:

Back