An Accidental bit of Moisturizing Mojo....

Citric Acid is a natural chelater, so that might be why your hair is doing so well.

I'm willing to try this but am super wary. I had a bad experience with baking soda and I didn't even use a lot. So the basic mix is conditioner, a tsp of salt and an acid like vinegar? Or jsut conditioner and salt?

Okay......

So tonight I came home from work, got settled and mixed the following

2 ounces of Organix Vanilla Silk Conditioner (I love this :love4:)

2 tsp of Baking Soda

1 tsp of Fresh Lemon Juice

This is what it looks like on my head. :lol:

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share...v8Yz7ha0&shareName=MMS&messageState=RETRIEVED

Now Kiya........I have 5 more minutes (30 minutes total time) before I rinse this out... :rolleyes:

I have to say that my hair feels sooooooooooooooooooooo soft and silky with this "Kiya Fizzie" on it.

I'll be back after I rinse it out. :nervous2:

aww how cool its gonna have the name 'Kiya Fizzle'

:grin:

where is the salt though?

You know what's interesting about this thread?

I take a lot of baths using Epsom Salts because my gym workouts and dance classes can leave me feeling sore, especially when I'm introduced to a new muscle group.

Now I know that Epsom salt is not the same as Sodium Salt, but this thread has made me think about the difference in my hair when I use it.

My point is that I always get in the tub and the first thing I do is go under the clear 'salted' water to rinse out my hair conditioner. I DC almost everyday. My hair always feels like silk when I come up out of the water and it falls down my back.

I just looked up the content of Epsom Salts and look what I found:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/97250/6_ways_to_use_epsom_salt_to_improve.html?page=2&cat=5

6. Hair Cleanser and Clarifier
Use a lot of
hair spray, mousse and gel on your hair, or wash it every day, and pretty soon your hair can suffer from a buildup of products. But, don't worry, you can use Epsom Salt to improve the health of your hair too!

You'll need a fourth of a cup of pure lemon juice, a fourth of a cup of Epsom Salt, and one quart of non-chlorinated water- rain water works the best. Mix the ingredients together and use it the next time before you wash your hair. Pour some (or all, if you have long hair) of the Epsom Salt solution onto your hair. Make sure to get all your
hair wet, all the way from the roots to the ends. Leave the solution on your hair for fifteen minutes. Then, wash your hair as you normally do.

An added bonus to using this cleanser/clarifier is that it will remove excess
oil from your hair too!

Also: It has Sulfur in it and we know how sulfur softens and grows hair. MTG :lol:

http://www.enzymestuff.com/epsomsalts.htm#2

What are Epsom salts and how do they work?
Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate. Salts are just molecules that form because the parts have opposite electrical charges that bind together. Magnesium has a positive charge. Sulfate has a negative charge, and performs all sorts of unique biological functions. The two elements dissociate in solution (English translation: break apart and separate in liquid). Epsom salts are available at most local grocers or health food stores, or inexpensively in bulk at agricultural supply stores.

The magnesium and sulfate in the salts are absorbed into the body through the skin. Because the sulfur is already in the sulfate form, it does not need to be converted like other forms of sulfur do. Sulfate is thought to circulate in the body up to about nine hours. Any Epsom salts left on the skin may continue to be absorbed as long as it is still on the skin, offering continuous ‘timed-released’ input into the bloodstream – like medications given through skin patches. Many people on a typical ‘modern’ processed diet are very deficient in magnesium as well, which Epsom salts also supply in a highly available form. Main effects of insufficient magnesium are hyperness, irritability, anxiety, and muscle twitching or spasms. So the salts may provide two-way assistance.
see Magnesium

I didn't want to post too long of a post, but I agree that there has to be something to this.

This is a good thread 'Kiya' and I'm going to subscribe to it and try your regime as well. I'll let you know what happens... :nervous2: :lol:

I dont know if I'm going to salt my hair just yet, but you just sold me some Epson Salt! :lachen:

Okay Angels..... Are you Ready for my Results of "Kiya's Fizzie" ? :nervous2:

I just rinsed out my first "Kiya's Fizzie" and my hair is still dripping wet in this picture, but I took the picture right away to give you a good close up of the texture.

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share...xkYa8Uja&shareName=MMS&messageState=RETRIEVED

The Results:

Very soft and my curls are still on my head and not in the sink :lol: :lachen:

Kiya, I followed your original recipe with the Baking Soda and I used Lemon Juice. I couldn't find my Sea Salt and I didn't have the powdered Citric Acid. So these are the items that I had on hand. And boy did they fizz up in the cup I used to mix it. It looked like a Creamy soda fizzie. But I call it "Kiya's Fizzie"... :yep: :happydance:

I had a super duper 'Kiya Fizzie' going on up on my head. :yep: :lol:

But it works... :yep: My hair is very soft and my ends feel great. :up:

I dont know if I'm going to salt my hair just yet, but you just sold me some Epson Salt! :lachen:
Hey Pretty Lady :kiss:

Lemme tell you, Epsom Salt is a permanent 'family member' :lol: in my home. I love this product; it's a Healer for sure. :yep:

Well one thing is for sure, we might all have this in our arsenal now for options to break down protein in protein overload! :yep:

there was some other stuff I read about ooooh, I wish I could remember, that breaks down keratin , now dang it that was something I should have remembered. I will find it again though

If its aiding in imparting moisture or softening up proteins , which one? which one? thats what I wanna know, or is it doing both?

aww how cool its gonna have the name 'Kiya Fizzle'

:grin:

where is the salt though?

Pretty Kiya has earned to have a remedy named for her. She is such a blessing to us here. I thank God for her. She's helped me through many a hair battle here.

And you are a beautiful blessing too, Irresistible :yep: I couldn't find my box of Sea Salt here, so I substituted the Baking Soda as Kiya used in her original recipe of this "Kiya Fizzie" .

Sea Salt is best rather than regular salt.

Well one thing is for sure, we might all have this in our arsenal now for options to break down protein in protein overload! :yep:

there was some other stuff I read about ooooh, I wish I could remember, that breaks down keratin , now dang it that was something I should have remembered. I will find it again though

If its aiding in imparting moisture or softening up proteins , which one? which one? thats what I wanna know, or is it doing both?
I can see myself doing this at least once a month. :yep:

You know, we read so much online that it's easy to forget where we discovered the information. I usually click on my 'history' tab and read through the list and many times it will bring up the information that I've read. Then I place it in my 'Favorites'.

Blessings angel... :giveheart:

I am so intrigued by the science behind this. Turns out salt is a natural relaxer:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4228810.html

Very interesting. From reading that, when they refer to "salt" as a natural relaxer, they're talking about *ANY* salt of a weak acid - not just table salt (sodium chloride).

A "salt" in the generic chemical sense is the solid that results when you react an acid with a base / alkali and remove the water and Carbon dioxide.

From wikipedia:
A Salt, in chemistry, is defined as the product formed from the neutralisation reaction of acids and bases. Salts are ionic compounds composed of cations (positively charged ions) and anions (negative ions) so that the product is electrically neutral (without a net charge). These component ions can be inorganic such as chloride (Cl−), as well as organic such as acetate (CH3COO−) and monoatomic ions such as fluoride (F−), as well as polyatomic ions such as sulfate (SO42−).

There are several varieties of salts. Salts that produce hydroxide ions when dissolved in water are basic salts and salts that produce hydronium ions in water are acid salts.

So that patent entry was saying you can use a solution of any acid salt, followed by a "fixing" step with a slightly alkaline solution, to straighten the hair. That is like the *reverse* of the traditional relaxer process, which uses an alkaline (sodium hydroxide), followed by a "fixing" step with an acidic product - the neutralising shampoo.

If one of our board chemists would come give us a list of salts of weak acids, we would have a list of salts that could help smooth our hair.:spinning:

OK. On wikipedia I found this list of "weak acids":

acetic acid (vinegar)
citric acid (which Just Kiya used)
boric acid
phosphoric acid
hydrofluoric acid

So maybe mixing any of those with an alkaline substance would give a salt with potential smoothing effects.

(Don't know much about the last three and they may be dangerous - NOTE: a weak acid may still be corrosive).

Very interesting. From reading that, when they refer to "salt" as a natural relaxer, they're talking about *ANY* salt of a weak acid - not just table salt (sodium chloride).

A "salt" in the generic chemical sense is the solid that results when you react an acid with a base / alkali and remove the water and Carbon dioxide

From wikipedia:

So that patent entry was saying you can use a solution of any acid salt, followed by a "fixing" step with a slightly alkaline solution, to straighten the hair. That is like the *reverse* of the traditional relaxer process, which uses an alkaline (sodium hydroxide), followed by a "fixing" step with an acidic product - the neutralising shampoo.

If one of our board chemists would come give us a list of salts of weak acids, we would have a list of salts that could help smooth our hair.:spinning:

acetic acid (vinegar)
boric acid
phosphoric acid
hydrofluoric acid

So maybe mixing any of those with an alkaline substance would give a salt with potential smoothing effects.

(Don't know much about the last three and they may be dangerous - NOTE: a weak acid may still be corrosive).

To the red:yep::yep:

One reason salts are included in products is because they are natural emulsifyers. Part of the reason this method might work for some people is because the salt could boost the efficency of the conditioner used, especially given the type of your hair cuticle you have.

Interesting thread Kiya

:thud: :love3: :clap:

First, I just wanna say THANK YA'LL - I'm so excited that this is being well recieved, and even MORE excited that it's actually helping people, and I'm OVER THE MOON at my sisters looking up the science and trying to figure out how this works - my heart is warm and full, and I am NOT a gushy person - but seriously, I'm just glowing now. :bighug:

Alright, so I shampooeod, then used my conditioner with some baking soda, a tiiiiiny bit of lemon juice and some salt...it did get foamy and like mousse...interesting!

Put on a plastic cap for half an hour, then under my steamer for about 20 minutes.

Two words: LIKE BUTTAH. :spinning: It's so soft and my ends feel wonderful. This is just what my hair needed.

Thanks Justkiya!

:bouncy: Yes! I'm so glad it works for you!!!

JK,

For someone who normally waters down conditioner, do you think the same results can be acheived if the salt was dissolved in water, then added to the conditioner? Or should the conditioner be diluted first, then adding in the salt (not sure if that would make a difference)? Or should diluting be avoided in this situation?

When I did it last night, I diluted the salt with water, just a tiny bit first, then mixed the conditioner in on top of it. I'm actually in twists now, so I did water down the final mixture even more so that it would spread through (and rinse out) of my twists easier.

So, I don't think that dissolving the salt in a little water first is a bad thing, and I think diluting the final product is fine, too. :yep:

Okay......

So tonight I came home from work, got settled and mixed the following

2 ounces of Organix Vanilla Silk Conditioner (I love this :love4:)

2 tsp of Baking Soda

1 tsp of Fresh Lemon Juice

This is what it looks like on my head. :lol:

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share...v8Yz7ha0&shareName=MMS&messageState=RETRIEVED

Now Kiya........I have 5 more minutes (30 minutes total time) before I rinse this out... :rolleyes:

I have to say that my hair feels sooooooooooooooooooooo soft and silky with this "Kiya Fizzie" on it.

I'll be back after I rinse it out. :nervous2:

Okay Angels..... Are you Ready for my Results of "Kiya's Fizzie" ? :nervous2:

I just rinsed out my first "Kiya's Fizzie" and my hair is still dripping wet in this picture, but I took the picture right away to give you a good close up of the texture.

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share...xkYa8Uja&shareName=MMS&messageState=RETRIEVED

The Results:

Very soft and my curls are still on my head and not in the sink :lol: :lachen:

Kiya, I followed your original recipe with the Baking Soda and I used Lemon Juice. I couldn't find my Sea Salt and I didn't have the powdered Citric Acid. So these are the items that I had on hand. And boy did they fizz up in the cup I used to mix it. It looked like a Creamy soda fizzie. But I call it "Kiya's Fizzie"... :yep: :happydance:

I had a super duper 'Kiya Fizzie' going on up on my head. :yep: :lol:

But it works... :yep: My hair is very soft and my ends feel great. :up:

Shimmie!!!! :bighug: :blush3: at the name - girl, you ain't right!!! :clap: that it worked well for you too - and you used a slightly different acid combo, too! Let us know how your hair feels dry, too! :yep:

Citric Acid is a natural chelater, so that might be why your hair is doing so well.

I'm willing to try this but am super wary. I had a bad experience with baking soda and I didn't even use a lot. So the basic mix is conditioner, a tsp of salt and an acid like vinegar? Or jsut conditioner and salt?

Did the baking soda strip your hair? Yeah - that's the really interesting thing, at least for me - after using salt + my regular DC last night, my hair doesn't feel stripped. It doesn't even feel particularily clean. It's just SOFT.

It's interesting - the times that I've used just citric acid or just baking soda never gave me quite the same butteriness that the first, accidental mix did.

There are really two mixes.

One, is the accidental one I started with (the one Shimme used) which uses the chemical reaction caused by mixing conditioner, a base (baking soda) and an acid (citric acid) that results in salt, water, and carbon dioxide (which causes the conditioner to foam) being formed.

Then, there is the shortcut, which is to just add salt like GODBLESS did (as the water and carbon dioxide don't do anything to your hair) to your conditioner. :lol:

Or, you could combine the two recipes, like WomanlyCharm did - all three seemed to come out fine....

;) You can try the salt + acid one on your own, missy!! :nono: :lol:

A "salt" in the generic chemical sense is the solid that results when you react an acid with a base / alkali and remove the water and Carbon dioxide.

From wikipedia:

acetic acid (vinegar)
boric acid
phosphoric acid
hydrofluoric acid

WOW!! :wow: That's FABULOUS information!!

But, wait.................. Are you saying that using this might straighten my HAIR!?!? :nono: Seee. I would be really hot. :lachen: Seriously, that's just a mean choice.

That's seriously amazing - and interesting - information. I will not be a test subject for the straightening aspect though. *clings to her naps* :lol:

I wonder if you skip the 'fixing' step, if you can avoid that....... :ohwell: Hrrm.

Another EXCELLENT thread!!!

I always wondered what would happen if baking soda/acv was applied to the hair-

NOW I KNOW!!!

Can't wait to try the KIYA FIZZIE (too cute!)!!!!

Thanx again, Ladies!!

It didn't so much strip my hair as gave me a mini texturizer. Its annoying because it attacked the already loose curls and made them....looser

It didn't so much strip my hair as gave me a mini texturizer. Its annoying because it attacked the already loose curls and made them....looser

Ahh! That sucks! :( How much did you use? :lol: I think littlegoldlamb tried that, and it didn't work quite that well.

Also - what conditioner you use has to make a difference! :yep: Inttteresting.

This would be an interesting excuse to go reaaaallllll PJ in the name of science. :look: :lick:

I didn't use a lot maybe a tbsp to about a half cup of Nourish Spa and I didn't even use it all. I should have known better since my hair falls prey to things very easily. My hair dyes easily, gets heat damage easily. I should just stop experimenting

I didn't use a lot maybe a tbsp to about a half cup of Nourish Spa and I didn't even use it all. I should have known better since my hair falls prey to things very easily. My hair dyes easily, gets heat damage easily. I should just stop experimenting

Oh, wow, that's really interesting - that's about how much I use to clarify! Is your hair fine?

:lol: It's very pretty, by the way... :yep:

Thank you. Its fine to medium.

I'm hoping it will just bounce back eventually but after a hardcore ApHogee treatment I'm starting to think it won't happen. I'm just happy its not straight

:thud: :love3: :clap:

First, I just wanna say THANK YA'LL - I'm so excited that this is being well recieved, and even MORE excited that it's actually helping people, and I'm OVER THE MOON at my sisters looking up the science and trying to figure out how this works - my heart is warm and full, and I am NOT a gushy person - but seriously, I'm just glowing now. :bighug:

:bouncy: Yes! I'm so glad it works for you!!!

When I did it last night, I diluted the salt with water, just a tiny bit first, then mixed the conditioner in on top of it. I'm actually in twists now, so I did water down the final mixture even more so that it would spread through (and rinse out) of my twists easier.

So, I don't think that dissolving the salt in a little water first is a bad thing, and I think diluting the final product is fine, too. :yep:

Shimmie!!!! :bighug: :blush3: at the name - girl, you ain't right!!! :clap: that it worked well for you too - and you used a slightly different acid combo, too! Let us know how your hair feels dry, too! :yep:

Did the baking soda strip your hair? Yeah - that's the really interesting thing, at least for me - after using salt + my regular DC last night, my hair doesn't feel stripped. It doesn't even feel particularily clean. It's just SOFT.

It's interesting - the times that I've used just citric acid or just baking soda never gave me quite the same butteriness that the first, accidental mix did.

There are really two mixes.

One, is the accidental one I started with (the one Shimme used) which uses the chemical reaction caused by mixing conditioner, a base (baking soda) and an acid (citric acid) that results in salt, water, and carbon dioxide (which causes the conditioner to foam) being formed.

Then, there is the shortcut, which is to just add salt like GODBLESS did (as the water and carbon dioxide don't do anything to your hair) to your conditioner. :lol:

Or, you could combine the two recipes, like WomanlyCharm did - all three seemed to come out fine....

;) You can try the salt + acid one on your own, missy!! :nono: :lol:

WOW!! :wow: That's FABULOUS information!!

But, wait.................. Are you saying that using this might straighten my HAIR!?!? :nono: Seee. I would be really hot. :lachen: Seriously, that's just a mean choice.

That's seriously amazing - and interesting - information. I will not be a test subject for the straightening aspect though. *clings to her naps* :lol:

I wonder if you skip the 'fixing' step, if you can avoid that....... :ohwell: Hrrm.

Hey, I'm loving the "Kiya Fizzie". My hair is very soft even after air drying. It smells good too, like Lemon/Vanilla.... :lick:

This is my Mega Tek night and I have two more parts to make in my hair and I'm done Mega 'sagging for the night. :sleep2: Tomorrow is my Ova' sage :lol: I'm using both products now.

Love and hugs to you angel. :kiss: You are such a blessing here. I'm glad you shared this post.

Did you see my head foaming with your "Fizzie' mix? :lol: Girl it trippled in size in that cup I mixed it in. :rofl:

Hey, I'm loving the "Kiya Fizzie". My hair is very soft even after air drying. It smells good too, like Lemon/Vanilla.... :lick:

This is my Mega Tek night and I have two more parts to make in my hair and I'm done Mega 'sagging for the night. :sleep2: Tomorrow is my Ova' sage :lol: I'm using both products now.

Love and hugs to you angel. :kiss: You are such a blessing here. I'm glad you shared this post.

Did you see my head foaming with your "Fizzie' mix? :lol: Girl it trippled in size in that cup I mixed it in. :rofl:

ooh, that does sound yummy!!!

I'm sitting here megassaging right now, loving on how soft my hair feels, and vaguely paranoid that it's straighter. :lol:

:blush3: Thank you again, Shimmie!

:lmao: Isn't it amazing!!! And it still feels so rich and thick when you put it in, too!

Thank you for posting and answering my question, JustKiya. My hair feel very soft, like WOW! :yep:

Here are my measurements:
4 oz. Conditioner (Tressemme's Moisture Rich)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
I also used a plastic cap and allowed the mixture to stay on 35 minutes.

With the mixture

Wet

Completely Dry and No product

Last edited:
Well ladies the weekend is here...I know many of my sisters in hair:grin: will be trying different versions of the KF.
I'd like to hear more about the degree of str8ness that results from this method.

Is it a temporary effect or am I gonna be stuck growing out my salted hair for the next year?:lachen:similar to how i'm growing out my henna.

Kiya...u done know, u helped me out already! :yep:Thanks for then, & thanks for now. This is awesome information.

I used White Rain Ocean Mist. This has five different kinds of sea kelp/algae in it and sea salt is right up there between one kind of kelp and the next kind. I added a smidge of honey, a splash of aloe vera, some Back to Basics ginger therapy and some of my horsey/keratin mix. Like JustKiya, I regularly use a good eight ounces of condish for my CO washes, but I have ALOT of conditioners. I added a teaspoon of sea salt. Wet my hair had little shrinkage, was moisturized, light/airy, strands separated and shiny and no tangles, knots or mats in sight. Dry it was the same – moist, no tangles, really cottony soft (that good kind of cottony, not the bad kind) and fluffy with incredible body. The litmus test will be how well it retains moisture throughout my workday and workout. After a BS treatment, it will suck up moisture much quicker throughout the day, so I will be interested in if this does the same or not.

Wow, this is a very interesting thread. I learn something new on this board everyday :grin:.

I am curious though....does this only work for Naturals? Looks like everyone that has tried this is natural. Any relaxed ladies tried it yet?

This thread is very interesting to say the least. The ladies on here are the best.:yep: I am curious too about how the results will be for relaxed ladies.

Wait a minute, isn't Womanly Charm relaxed?

From wikipedia:

acetic acid (vinegar)
boric acid
phosphoric acid
hydrofluoric acid

What would be a list of common alkaline substances that we could use create that "corrective step"? I have the citric acid and the BS. I'd like to try the "correcting step" to see if I can reduce some of my shrinkage. My guess is that the results are temporary if done with very moderate amounts.

How much BS did you use to get that effect? I am curious because I would like to loosen my curls a bit, I have perfect spirals but some of them are the size of the springs in the old Bic writing pens (tight). I would like to loosen the curl just a bit so that I can see my length.

Have your your curls come back after some time? I like my curls tight when I do my twist because they don't come undone :yep: I'd like to be able to go back and forth if possible, the best of all worlds for me.

Well ladies the weekend is here...I know many of my sisters in hair:grin: will be trying different versions of the KF.
I'd like to hear more about the degree of str8ness that results from this method.

Is it a temporary effect or am I gonna be stuck growing out my salted hair for the next year?:lachen:similar to how i'm growing out my henna.

Kiya...u done know, u helped me out already! :yep:Thanks for then, & thanks for now. This is awesome information.
Good question! I am interested as well.

JusKiya ROCKS!!! :thumbsup:

How much BS did you use to get that effect? I am curious because I would like to loosen my curls a bit, I have perfect spirals but some of them are the size of the springs in the old Bic writing pens (tight). I would like to loosen the curl just a bit so that I can see my length.

Have your your curls come back after some time? I like my curls tight when I do my twist because they don't come undone :yep: I'd like to be able to go back and forth if possible, the best of all worlds for me.

I think I used a tbsp. I eyeball everything I do. My twists aren't really affected but I can see the difference in my WnGs. I hope it goes back to normal soo, we'll see

I think I used a tbsp. I eyeball everything I do. My twists aren't really affected but I can see the difference in my WnGs. I hope it goes back to normal soo, we'll see
LOL @ growing out "Salted" hair! :laugh: Let us know when your curls spring back in. Perhaps a protein treatment can help with that, I know Lauren450 says that she gets better texture when she does a treatment. I notice my curls are more defined when I do a light keratin protein treatment as well.

Back