An Accidental bit of Moisturizing Mojo....

I was in the mirror flipping my hair back and forth:rocker::lachen: I was in love all over again.

I use acv rinses pretty regular and its NOTHING like this.

Oh and I'm wavelaxed.

ETA: and mine also curdled but hey I'm not complaining.

-A

Nice!! :clap: I'm glad that it worked for you - you're the first one, I think, to mix baking soda and salt - I wonder if it curdled because it was too much salt, like the other sister who used 1/2 tsp first, and it curdled, but didn't with 1/4 tsp. ??? :lol: I'm for real going to have to create a spreadsheet. :lol:

I cowash everyday, so I will be tracking my hair's progress. I'll definitely post pictorial results of long term usage.

Wonderful!! Please, keep a CLOSE eye on your hair :yep: I think you are the first to use it this often, and we don't want something good to turn bad on us! :nono:

Ok guys I had a lightbulb moment.

Traditionally water softeners used salt to soften the water. This probably accounts for the slick feel:yep:

Depending on where you are, if you have hard water you will in REALLY notice a difference. We have a filter on our direct water line but water but not a softener.

Bicarbonate (baking soda) is a neutralizer of acid. Meaning it raises the PH. Naturals, I'm not sure what that means in terms of your hair long term but, for those that are using it it could mean basically that your relaxing the hair over time.

I don't know what it will do to the PH of conditioner or even regular water. I've got some PH papers here so I'll run a test on our water to see what I come up with.

ETA: I'm not a scientist I'm using some basic 8th grade stuff :lachen: so bear with me.

-A

As I was looking for information on salt & hair, I did read something about water softeners, but it sounded like there was a current of some sort that convinced the molecules to attract each other? I'm not sure - but that definitely could be it!

Hrrm. I normally use baking soda to clarify, and .... well, my hair texture has changed over these last two years, but I figured it was just from better treatment and henna. :lachen: Wouldn't THAT be crazy!?!?!?!? *sucksteeth*

I'll have to see what my mom says about my hair when I go to visit. If she makes some big fuss over the difference, you might be on to something with the long term use of baking soda thing. :yep:

Can't wait to hear what the pH papers are going to say!!! :lick:

When I got in the shower to start rinsing my hair, I nearly passed out from how soft my hair felt!!
My hair has NEVER EVER EVER felt like this before. I couldn't stop grinning and I couldn't stop touching my hair. It's silky, soft, and the curls are so so so defined. They are a little looser, but not a worrying amount. My hair is just so smooth! The growth I've gotten from Mega-tek is also about ten times softer.

You have seriously brought us a piece of hair gold!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!! :bighug:

You're WELCOME!!!! :bighug: Wow, I'm seriously so thrilled that so many ladies are having such GOOD results - and are so enthused. Thank Ya'll!!! :blush3:

Ok.... I was trying NOT to do this... but I'm game. I'm doing this tonight or tomorrow.

:assimilat ;) :lachen: I hope that it will be jsut as fabulous for you as it has been for everyone else!!

I want to try this after I remove my sew-in. Subscribing...

Oooh, that would be nice!! I'm assuming you plan on doing it after you've fully detangled it and everything, right?

Hrrrm. I wonder what would happen if I wore a twist-out/wash&go (my two main tangleworthy styles) and then just put this right into my hair.

Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmm. I think I'll be wearing my hair out this weekend, I might have to try that..... :yep:

Ok guys I had a lightbulb moment.

Traditionally water softeners used salt to soften the water. This probably accounts for the slick feel:yep:

Depending on where you are, if you have hard water you will in REALLY notice a difference. We have a filter on our direct water line but water but not a softener.

Bicarbonate (baking soda) is a neutralizer of acid. Meaning it raises the PH. Naturals, I'm not sure what that means in terms of your hair long term but, for those that are using it it could mean basically that your relaxing the hair over time.

I don't know what it will do to the PH of conditioner or even regular water. I've got some PH papers here so I'll run a test on our water to see what I come up with.

ETA: I'm not a scientist I'm using some basic 8th grade stuff :lachen: so bear with me.

-A

hard water , this is just why I gotta try this now!

JJ: You are the one who told me that it was a cuticle-closer, which is why I started adding lemon juice to my homemade aloe vera moisture spritz and it worked like a charm.

Hi, Adw, would using the lemon juice stop or slow down shedding? I've been shedding like a dog for so long, I can't understand how I still have hair on my head. :wallbash:

Tried the salt concoction tonight and it definitely loosened my curl.

Can't say that I really like the effects or that I'd do it again.
I may have used too much salt (1 tablespoon) and I sure do hope the effects wear off.

Interesting... In picture 13 of 15, your hair looks longer. Did this reduce your shrinkage/loosen your curls?

Yes, it did :yep:

Only when it was wet though. When it dried it was more defined curls, but the same length as it always is.

Mixed 1.5 teaspoons of salt with 8oz of my Tresemme anti breakage Condish...

Kept that luscious mess in for about 10 mins...

Do you know how LONG I stayed under the shower head not sure if all the conditioner rinsed out?! I even checked the mirror.

My Hair has been soft, but NEVER this soft! It was SILKY SOFT! MY tight coils didn't seem to hang any different, but the softness blew my mind. Detangling was a breeze.

A keeper.
thanks doll. :grin:

Well, just wanted to share my bit.

Since I see that there were a few relaxed ladies trying this and having great results with it, I went ahead and took the plunge too.

Since this was an "experiment" for me, I only added the salt to my conditioner...well, sea salt, since I have some sitting around that never gets used. I mixed about 1/4 tsp in my Aveda dry remedy conditioner and let it dissolve. Then I put it in my hair and let it sit for about an hour under a plastic cap. Now, I love how my hair feels when I use the dry remedy conditioner on its own....super soft and silky. I really didn't think it could feel any softer. But the way it felt using the conditioner with the sea salt had me totally surprised. Man, it was like velvet, lol.

I ususally sit under the hood dryer, but I let it air dry and it was still very soft. My hair DOES NOT air dry soft like this...so I'm convinced it had to be the sea salt that made the difference. Next week, I'll try adding the sea salt to one of my cheap conditioners to see if I get the same effect. If so, I may not have repurchase my beloved Aveda dry remedy:grin:

Thanks Justkiya and everyone who shared their results.

bumping.,,,,,,,,,

its been about 3 or more days since ive used it and my hair ends are the best ive ever felt them in my life.

i have yet to apply itnto my entire head probably tommorow.

THANK YOU AGAIN JUST KIYA YOU ARE THE BESTEST

bumping.,,,,,,,,,

its been about 3 or more days since ive used it and my hair ends are the best ive ever felt them in my life.

So you just used regular salt? Sea salt or table salt?

Kiya is the Bestest Ever!:yep:

Tried the salt concoction tonight and it definitely loosened my curl.

Can't say that I really like the effects or that I'd do it again.
I may have used too much salt (1 tablespoon) and I sure do hope the effects wear off.

:fistshake: My hair is finally out of the twists, and I'm not totally sure (as I usually don't pay that much attention to my curl, anyhow) but I think it loosened mine too. Still not even 50% sure, though.

Mixed 1.5 teaspoons of salt with 8oz of my Tresemme anti breakage Condish...

Kept that luscious mess in for about 10 mins...

Do you know how LONG I stayed under the shower head not sure if all the conditioner rinsed out?! I even checked the mirror.

My Hair has been soft, but NEVER this soft! It was SILKY SOFT! MY tight coils didn't seem to hang any different, but the softness blew my mind. Detangling was a breeze.

A keeper.
thanks doll. :grin:

:lachen: :clap: I'm so glad it worked for you!!!

Now, I love how my hair feels when I use the dry remedy conditioner on its own....super soft and silky. I really didn't think it could feel any softer. But the way it felt using the conditioner with the sea salt had me totally surprised. Man, it was like velvet, lol.

I ususally sit under the hood dryer, but I let it air dry and it was still very soft. My hair DOES NOT air dry soft like this...so I'm convinced it had to be the sea salt that made the difference. Next week, I'll try adding the sea salt to one of my cheap conditioners to see if I get the same effect. If so, I may not have repurchase my beloved Aveda dry remedy:grin:

Thanks Justkiya and everyone who shared their results.

You're welcome!!! :yep: And girl, if it does, a whole lotta PJ's might be getting their wings! :lol:

What conditioners are ya'll using? Would using baking soda or sea salt work just as well?

If you use baking soda, you HAVE to add an acid to it. Sea salt alone is fine. :yep:

bumping.,,,,,,,,,

:clap: :clap: :clap: I'm so glad it worked, and thank you for being bold enough to try it out first - you are the encouragement that got me to share this more widely!! :bighug:

So you just used regular salt? Sea salt or table salt?

Kiya is the Bestest Ever!:yep:

:blush3: Girl, stop. I'm just sharing what I've stumbled across!! ;)

Kiya ... you already know that I think you're the shizznit ... now here you go again proving me right with this thread here.

You've obviously stumbled onto something special here. I'm going to try this tonight and report back in the morning.

Thanks so much for your sheer awesomeness!!! :woot:

Kiya ... you already know that I think you're the shizznit ... now here you go again proving me right with this thread here.

You've obviously stumbled onto something special here. I'm going to try this tonight and report back in the morning.

Thanks so much for your sheer awesomeness!!! :woot:

:lachen: Ya'll understand I have issues with compliments, right?? :blush3: Gonna have me typing in here permanently redfaced!!

I hope it works fabulously for you, Tara!!

Hi JustKiya,
I tried adding 1/4 teaspoon each of baking soda, citric acid and sea salt to my conditioner earlier this evening. I left this mixture on for an hour and then rinsed. My hair felt moisturised and soft. I have never experienced my hair feeling like this before. Thanks for the tip its definitely a keeper.

MeechUK

Hi JustKiya,
I tried adding 1/4 teaspoon each of baking soda, citric acid and sea salt to my conditioner earlier this evening. I left this mixture on for an hour and then rinsed. My hair felt moisturised and soft. I have never experienced my hair feeling like this before. Thanks for the tip its definitely a keeper.

MeechUK

:clap: :clap: You are most welcome!!! :yep:

Hey ladies,

Ok...day two and all I did was wet my hair today and put in two braided ponytails on (one on each side) and my hair is soft, soft, soft...and that is without any leave-in or anything.

The one thing I noticed for all the ladies who are concerned...the loosening of the curls are temporary. My curls snapped right back today, so that made me happy:yep:

I see that you don't have to use it everyday to keep the softness.

I made my Kiya Fizz Bomb today.

I mixed 2.5 teaspoons of baking soda+ 6 oz of condish + 1.5 oz of white vinegar

(all amounts approx.) .

It fizzed/foamed up- FUNNY!!!

I made enough to go thru my hair 2x.

I massaged thru hair in the shower each time leaving on the hair a good 5 mins.

thoroughly rinsing each time.

My hair was SOOO S-O-F-T!!!

It felt moisturzed & clean!!

This is a keeper, Y'all!

Thanx, Kiya!!!

I made my Kiya Fizz Bomb today.

I mixed 2.5 teaspoons of baking soda+ 6 oz of condish + 1.5 oz of white vinegar

(all amounts approx.) .

It fizzed/foamed up- FUNNY!!!

I made enough to go thru my hair 2x.

I massaged thru hair in the shower each time leaving on the hair a good 5 mins.

thoroughly rinsing each time.

My hair was SOOO S-O-F-T!!!

It felt moisturzed & clean!!

This is a keeper, Y'all!

Thanx, Kiya!!!

You used the white vinegar? I'm wondering is there a difference in the ph levels with white and the apple cider, if any?

Glad it worked out for you...I know the feeling and all I used was straight up table salt (Morton's)

Kiya girl....I love u, i may name my firstborn after u

I was at a stage where i hate to detangle my hair cause its been taking too long. So yesterday was my wash day. I put a teaspoon of table salt into my conditioner and mixed it up. It got all frothy and velvety. Then i parted my hair into 4 sections and slathered that badboy on. I left it in for 1 hour cause i was wathcing stomp the yard lol and didn't want to be disturbed from my Columbus Short. I came back and washed out & detangled in 10 minutes.
That does NOT happen to me! it took a couple of slips of the comb to be detangled and I could take my whole parted sections and detangle. Usually i have to split the sections up into smaller sections to detangle.

So u know i love u right? This is a part of my new regimen. The only thing is, is it safe to use it on a regular basis? Hopefully so cause this is the TRUTH for me!

Mixed 1 tsp sea salt in HE Hello Hydration & left on for 5-10 minutes under a shower cap. Didn't get the silky part (hair felt good though) but definitely looser curl and had to do hardly anything to detangle. I likey!!! :yep:

Gonna try again but leave on longer. I think I'll get the silky.

I've tried this twice now & I absolutely love it. My hair is shinier and silkier. However, I got a few tangles which I never get, but it wont stop me from using it. Thank you Kiya! :heart2:

I'm about to try the Kiya Fizzle fo Shizzle. I will report back with pictures and comments.

Last edited:
Due to site maintenance I was forced to lurk on another hair site sorry nikkos :grin:and read up on baking soda again, I'd used it sometime last year when it was mentioned here but it was so-so on my hair. So today I used a teaspoonfull with a bit of Loreal conditioner and added a bit of water and it turned mousse-like like Kiya described I applied it to my hair and massaged in for about 2 mins, rinsed out and my hair's butter soft (texlaxed AFTER a hardcore Aphogee treatment and BEFORE moisturising DC) so will do this once a week, infact will replace my once a week shampoo clarifyer with it:yep:

I LOVE LOVE my Kiya Fizzle results!!! Here's what I did yesterday evening:

--nature's gate henna wash condish (about 1 cup or so)
--1/4 teaspoon salt
--1/4 teaspoon baking soda + 1/2 teaspoon ACV = about another 1/4 teaspoon or so salt

Mixed and got a nice "fizzle" and the condish thickened up considerable, really nice. Then I just slap it on my dry, unwashed hair (been a week since I washed) until saturated, then cover with plastic and a turban for 30 minutes, rinsed well and boy oh boy, my hurr was sooo nice!!. I then put a bit of glycerin + hyalurunic + rosemary EO and let dry about 80%, then sealed with emu oil.

It's the next afternoon as I type this and my hair feels nice, soft and moisturized every time I smooth my bun. Oh year, I almost wore my hair down this morning cuz my ends are banging! What is it about this salt that detangles and smooth the ends???

Back