America's Best Cities for Singles

weaveadiva

[highlight]single ladies living in these cities, do you agree?[/highlight]

#1 New Orleans

The Crescent City is a nightlife triple threat in the AFC survey: not only does it rank first for singles, but it wins for its cocktail hour and live music scenes—and it’s the winner in the wild weekend category too.

#2 Miami

As the AFC survey’s three-year champ for good-looking locals, this sizzler of the South has all the makings of a great singles scene: stylish locals (No. 2), good cocktails (No. 4), and great weather (No. 5).

#3 Austin

It has a legendary music scene, unbeatable Tex-Mex and barbecue restaurants, and locals who seem too good to be true. This is one of the few cities where the degree of good looks is not balanced out by a lack of brains or an ability to smile.

#4 New York

Manhattan has (almost) everything going for its millions of singles: it’s No. 1 in both big-name and ethnic restaurants as well as theater and classical music. Its locals are also the country’s most stylish and diverse.

#5 Las Vegas

Clearly it doesn’t matter that survey-takers rated Vegas’s locals as not terribly attractive (they rank 19th), friendly (24th), or smart (dead last). After all, this is Vegas, which rates No. 2 for wild weekends and tells visitors they’re allowed to keep their Sin City secrets to themselves.

#6 Chicago

The Windy City bar scene may be bustling thanks to its young workforce, or just because everyone’s out looking for a nightcap after chowing down. Chicago ranks second for big-name restaurants, third for ethnic dining, and fourth for neighborhood joints.

#7 Nashville

Despite the city’s twangy history, singles here aren’t crying into their beers: they rank No. 1 in friendliness and No. 9 in looks.

#8 Houston

Adieu, mechanical bull. Houston has come a long way since its Urban Cowboy days. Clearly it’s also attracting singles, and survey-takers also gave the city a top-10 ranking for cocktails and stylish, attractive locals.

#9 San Francisco

The locals are stylish and diverse, and they’re not hard on the eyes either (No. 11 in attractiveness). Pub-crawling is easy, too—San Fran ranks fourth in the survey as being pedestrian-friendly.

#10 Providence

The Rhode Island capital ranks eighth for its cocktail hour, but you might do better mingling with the singles if you pull up a stool at a neighborhood joint (the city ranks second in that category) or a cozy coffee bar (sixth).

I disagree on NYC. I believe that most people in NYC are in relationships. Just my opinion. I was born and raised in Providence, and the men out there are blah, so I can see why it would be on the list.

Providence R.I? You got to be kidding me? There is really nothing there of interest. Providence R.I. is just as bad as Boston, MA where I grew up. I have been contemplating a move to Houston or Dallas next spring so it's a positive sign one of them is on the list.

awww I think Baltimore should be on the list. Ninjas stay tryna holla lol (not that they're of much substance, but hey! lol)

Best for singles for what? and for who? Yeah San Fran is crawling with single people and bars so if you are into barhopping you'll love it, but it's one of the worse dating environments I've ever lived in, particularly if you want a long-term relationship or marriage.

NYC has a bunch of singles but there are tons and tons and tons and tons of single women.... and there is a lower percentage of single male whores... and then there are the couples who are not yet married... and those who are coupled up either moved to NYC together from whatever place they came from or met. i know some married friends who met and married in NYC but not many.

NYC is like hitting the jackpot for a man. it's a crap hole for women.

i don't think it's impossible to meet men in NYC... it's just more challenging. people here are work oriented. i think if a single man wants to meet a beautiful woman who has a great career and all of those things, he should come to New York.

Women should go to Colorado. I hear there are tons of manly men out there who outnumber the women. I've also heard that the women there are huge and burly(not all. just several) so, feminine looking women have the advantage. I've also heard that South Carolina is full of single men.

#7 Nashville

Despite the city’s twangy history, singles here aren’t crying into their beers: they rank No. 1 in friendliness and No. 9 in looks.

I do agree on the friendly part. There are some really nice folks here!
And actually as far as dating, I have never had any problems.

I attribute the large dating pool to the plethora of universities in the city.

From the HBCU's Tenn. State, Fisk & Meharry and also Vanderbilt, Belmont, Nashville State Community College and MTSU in Murfreesboro, and other community colleges, folks in their 20's and 30's shouldn't have any problem finding someone decent to date.

Just this Saturday, the downtown area was jumping with the 5th Annual Music City Soul Food Festival that took place for the 'old school grown and sexy' crowd, with performances from Cameo, Glenn Jones, Whodini, Jody Whatley and Tevin Campbell (who arrived late).

Actually, for the last 6 weeks or so, there has been SOMETHING going on each weekend, (not necessarily college related) so the opportunity is there if you're really set on finding someone to date.

You just have to put yourself out there!

Providence R.I? You got to be kidding me? There is really nothing there of interest. Providence R.I. is just as bad as Boston, MA where I grew up. I have been contemplating a move to Houston or Dallas next spring so it's a positive sign one of them is on the list.

I disagree about Boston. I know A LOT of single, good looking, educated,men (my bff included).

Miami? Are you kidding me? Aside from all the South Beach partying, the dudes are single because of all the cute chix in bikinis, and all the chix are single because they're walkin around in bikinis hoping to pin the next athlete. :giggle:

Go to Miami if you're trying to party and STAY single.

The Ladies responses hear confirm to me that these lists are pretty pointless. They seem to measure just the # of single people, amenities like bars, music scene, and weather/outdoor friendly. I think Browndilocks point about Miami speaks to most of these cities - great if you want to stay single.

The Ladies responses hear confirm to me that these lists are pretty pointless. They seem to measure just the # of single people, amenities like bars, music scene, and weather/outdoor friendly. I think Browndilocks point about Miami speaks to most of these cities - great if you want to stay single.

You beat me to it, but I was gonna say... I HATE these types of lists.

Just because there's a lot of single people in certain cities doesn't mean that any of them want to settle down and get married. Now, if the list is for people who are looking for places to enjoy the single life, then it's perfect.

But if they're promoting this like, "Hey, wanna find a man/woman? Go here! There are lots of singles and singles things here!"

Then no.

I prefer looking at the articles that say, "Best Places for Families." There's still going to be a reasonable number of single people there, and they might be more likely to want to settle down too and join the "family" group.

This list is for singles who want to stay single and party. I live in NY, BUT I think the exception is that I met my FH through friends. Though he was born and raised in NYC, he went to medical school in Connecticut...so he doesn't have that mindset. All his friends are married or getting married. So I lucked up there. I definitely think it could be done here, and that I have had an easier time "sifting" through men because of my requirements (no sex till marriage...but then that brings a whole new set of stuff to sift through such as guys with a madonna/whore complex, etc...but still finding a guy who is really interested in relationships hasn't been hard because to connect with me they'll have to do it through our emotional connection as intimate comes later), but really guys in NYC want to play.

Miami seems like a party town from my visits. Las Vegas is also a joke. I can't speak for the other towns but from visiting Austin (my bro is at Ft. Hood), it seems like the only one that would have men who want to "settle down".

You beat me to it, but I was gonna say... I HATE these types of lists.

Just because there's a lot of single people in certain cities doesn't mean that any of them want to settle down and get married. Now, if the list is for people who are looking for places to enjoy the single life, then it's perfect.

But if they're promoting this like, "Hey, wanna find a man/woman? Go here! There are lots of singles and singles things here!"

Then no.

I prefer looking at the articles that say, "Best Places for Families." There's still going to be a reasonable number of single people there, and they might be more likely to want to settle down too and join the "family" group.
Agreed. It's not about who can I meet at a party? It's about who is willing to settle down. You can have a million single men with a "boy" mentality who just want to play around, and to me that's just as bad as being in a city with very little men. The end result is that you will have a hard time having long term relationships leading to marriage. The better list would be cities with men/women ratio that is pretty equal and tons of people who are in a marriage mindset.

This list is for singles who want to stay single and party. I live in NY, BUT I think the exception is that I met my FH through friends. Though he was born and raised in NYC, he went to medical school in Connecticut...so he doesn't have that mindset. All his friends are married or getting married. So I lucked up there. I definitely think it could be done here, and that I have had an easier time "sifting" through men because of my requirements (no sex till marriage...but then that brings a whole new set of stuff to sift through such as guys with a madonna/whore complex, etc...but still finding a guy who is really interested in relationships hasn't been hard because to connect with me they'll have to do it through our emotional connection as intimate comes later), but really guys in NYC want to play.

Miami seems like a party town from my visits. Las Vegas is also a joke. I can't speak for the other towns but from visiting Austin (my bro is at Ft. Hood), it seems like the only one that would have men who want to "settle down".

Yep, I do think that you can find "the one," anywhere, but there's definitely something to the general idea that many of these "best cities for singles" are simply party towns.

I've found that the best place to meet men who want to settle down are cities in the South/Midwest of average size. Like Austin, Nashville, Columbus, Ohio, Minneapolis, etc. There's enough of a scene where single people can meet and greet, but the idea is to get hitched in a reasonable amount of time.

A 40-year-old bachelor still "having fun," isn't a big deal in NYC or LA, but he'd probably get the side eye in Nashville, I think.

This list is pretty bad...

And I think "best cities" really depends on what you're looking for - whats good for the 20-something set is not going to work for the 40's and fabulous, and vice versa. And what works for men doesn't necessarily work for women. For example, Atlanta - great for straight men, horrible for women.

Last edited:
Yep, I do think that you can find "the one," anywhere, but there's definitely something to the general idea that many of these "best cities for singles" are simply party towns.

I've found that the best place to meet men who want to settle down are cities in the South/Midwest of average size. Like Austin, Nashville, Columbus, Ohio, Minneapolis, etc. There's enough of a scene where single people can meet and greet, but the idea is to get hitched in a reasonable amount of time.

A 40-year-old bachelor still "having fun," isn't a big deal in NYC or LA, but he'd probably get the side eye in Nashville, I think.
I also think it helps having a city where there are a variety of activities that people can do without a partner.

For example, for the outdoorsy set, I think Boulder/Denver is amazing. But if being one with nature isn't your thing, you'll probably hate it. Conversely, I think the South Bay is great for intellectual, "unique-interest" types. I swear there is a Meetup for everything here (oh you're into Red Mini Coopers, there's a Meetup for that and like 135789012347890 people will show up :yep:).

HAHA...intellectual and red mini coopers? ok...

NYC is a great city for going on lots of dates, and meeting lots of different types of people. Maybe it's just my experience, but it's hard to meet serious minded men. But then again, I think here the avg. age for settling down is way later than in other cities.

so right about that!I
grew up in balto and visit often the guys may not be abot much but they look good and they do try to holla lol

lol yup. That's why I don't get all of the 'white girls stealing our men' articles. I had never even heard of this phenom until I came to this board lol. I be like...what are you talking about?! Black guys love us! lol

you are in my head.

I disagree on Miami....Miami is a hook-up city and a lot of ppl crusin' through looking for a good time. It's fun and sexy due to the heat and nightlife and great weather and social activities but I personally find it a hard city to find a "meaningful" relationship. It's not impossible, but I would never rank it that high on the list unless the intention is to stay single, lol.

Best for singles for what? and for who? Yeah San Fran is crawling with single people and bars so if you are into barhopping you'll love it, but it's one of the worse dating environments I've ever lived in, particularly if you want a long-term relationship or marriage.

Agreed. SF has a lot of bars, great live music, stuff to do, etc. but this list is clearly made up of the best cities for single who want to STAY single.

Austin...I love Austin.

Plenty of single men who aren't into BS. It's great for black women who want to keep their options open as for as race is concerned too.

New Orleans is #1!? WTF????? I been in this city my whole life and unless i have severely over looked a place, this is not the place to be tryna pick somebody up... u gotta be kidding me

These guys out here r FULL of BS

New Orleans is #1!? WTF????? I been in this city my whole life and unless i have severely over looked a place, this is not the place to be tryna pick somebody up... u gotta be kidding me

This is exactly what I was thinking. This is not the city for people that want to settle down.

Austin...I love Austin.

Plenty of single men who aren't into BS. It's great for black women who want to keep their options open as for as race is concerned too.

My former boss is from that area and she told me the same thing when I told her I was single and like to date outside of my race. I was like hmmmm.

You took the words out my mouth. They're #1 for singles b/c the men don't want to commit. They always got some **** with them.

I really want to know who puts this list together. NYC...I dont see to many guys running around here that are not serious about anything. I had more luck in chicago on my vacation than i did in nyc. The guys out there were nicer and more approachable. I still dont know who came up with this list......

Back