Alternative to Gel?

star78

I haven't had a relaxer in over a year b/c my hair is thin and I stopped relaxing in an attempt to thicken up my strands or the appearance. My fav style has always been a side part with it swept into a bun. I use to wet the brush, sweep it with the brush, and put gel on to give it that shiny, sleek look.

I will be texlaxing soon b/c my roots revert too fast and I will be going back to wearing my bun. I don't want to brush with water and follow up with gel as I feel that breaks my hair out but I do want to achieve the shiny, sleek look so can anyone recommend an alternative to gel? Also, any recommendation on which brush to use?

I never heard of flaxseed gel. I just did a search on Google. Are you ladies referring to Aveda Flax Seed Aloe Strong Hold Sculpting Gel?

I never heard of flaxseed gel. I just did a search on Google. Are you ladies referring to Aveda Flax Seed Aloe Strong Hold Sculpting Gel?

Nope. Talking about all natural homemade flaxseed gel. 2 tbsp of flaxseeds (yes actual seeds) to 1 cup of water. Boil for about 6-8 min. Strain out seeds. And your left with an all natural gel. Some people add oils and other things but you can use the gel straight, no chaser. This stuff holds like no other (I use it for WnGs) without leaving a crunchy feeling or flakiness. It also helps to moisturize your hair.

I bought a pound of flaxseeds for $4. Which is going to last me a looooong time. I'll probably never buy a store bought gel again.

Nope. Talking about all natural homemade flaxseed gel. 2 tbsp of flaxseeds (yes actual seeds) to 1 cup of water. Boil for about 6-8 min. Strain out seeds. And your left with an all natural gel. Some people add oils and other things but you can use the gel straight, no chaser. This stuff holds like no other (I use it for WnGs) without leaving a crunchy feeling or flakiness. It also helps to moisturize your hair.

I bought a pound of flaxseeds for $4. Which is going to last me a looooong time. I'll probably never buy a store bought gel again.

Sounds good! Thanks for that. Does it provide shine as well or do you use something else on top for that?

Sounds good! Thanks for that. Does it provide shine as well or do you use something else on top for that?

Whatever you moisturize and/or seal with should be enough under the gel. The gel itself also gives a nice sheen to hair as well.

I haven't had a relaxer in over a year b/c my hair is thin and I stopped relaxing in an attempt to thicken up my strands or the appearance. My fav style has always been a side part with it swept into a bun. I use to wet the brush, sweep it with the brush, and put gel on to give it that shiny, sleek look.

I will be texlaxing soon b/c my roots revert too fast and I will be going back to wearing my bun. I don't want to brush with water and follow up with gel as I feel that breaks my hair out but I do want to achieve the shiny, sleek look so can anyone recommend an alternative to gel? Also, any recommendation on which brush to use?
Goddess Curlz Gel might be a good alternative. It works for my hair. I use it to smooth out frizz on my mini twists. It makes them look more sleek and doesn't get hard like other gels.

Last edited:
@KurlyNinja How strong is the hold of the flax seed gel compared to a commercial gel.. ecostyler e.g.?

Theresamonet

I would say it has about as much hold as olive oil ecostyler. But the more flaxseeds you add to the water, the thicker the gel becomes. So you can pretty much get as much hold as you like. Even though I'm not gonna sit here as say that the hold is anything like brown gel or anything.

Back