African women (1st gen or Immigrant) married to AA men.

wednesday

Calliing all African members/ Foreign members married to AA men. Have you experienced any culture clashes in your relationship, or between your family and his family? How have you dealt with cultural differences/ conflict?

eta- actually this can be answered by anyone in a relationship with someone from another country.:yep:

I'm African and I'm getting married to an AA. I don't recall any major cultural clashes. It helps that he's open minded and that I'm very familiar with AA culture.

Sigh. OP I don't even know where to start. I'm first gen Caribbean American married to an African American and let's put it this way. At least once a month I hear "You were raised in the Caribbean...in America" Because my family didn't really socialize with Americans and I tended to gravitate to first gen African and Caribbean students in my schooling, I was completely unprepared for how different "real" American culture is. Once we started spending more time together I realized there were a ton of differences and we still struggle to adjust. . .here are examples

Wearing/not wearing shoes in the house
Vacation/big emphasis on church and family around the holidays
Takeout/family meal time

I'm bicultural so it doesn't bother me. I was raised in a different country with AA parents. I flow between both cultures easily. SO is from the country I was raised but has more AA beliefs. This will rear it's head with parental views in our relationship. I talk to him about how I see things NOW. Luckily, he lets me make lots of decisions in his life :)

Back