A Belle in Brooklyn:The Go-to Girl for Advice on Living Your Best Single Life

sapphire74

Has anyone read this book or picked up a copy yet?

http://www.amazon.com/Belle-Brookly...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1308127217&sr=1-1

As the go-to girl for relationship and dating advice, this real life Carrie Bradshaw and editor at Essence magazine shares the what-to-dos and what-not-to-dos for fabulous single living.

With an award-winning popular blog and an Essence magazine platform, Demetria Lucas has become a relationship guru to millions of young women with plenty of simple, direct advice. According to Lucas, most women are too focused (and stressed) on the difficulties of meeting Mr. Right to enjoy the experience.

A Belle in Brooklyn celebrates the joys of singlehood, encourages personal development, and offers tools to help women increase their odds of finding a suitable mate when they are ready for one. With advice garnered from personal revelations, expert interviews with other relationship and dating gurus, and hundreds of interviews with her Male MindSquad—a committee of thirty men from varying backgrounds who answers the tough questions about sex, dating, and relationships—Lucas helps women enjoy the single life…with or without the perfect guy.

Seems like everyone is writing a book on relationships these days. Many aren't worth the paper they are written on.

I remember her doing a series in Essence on finding Mr. Right last year around this time.

I used to read her blog and always loved her topics. Her dating stories etc were entertaining but not enough for me to buy the book. I wish her all the success in the world and I cannot wait until she gets married.

Yes I bought the book on Amazon.com and it will ship in august I think, it's only $13 so I went for it. Look forward to reading it, and the title says 'living your best single life' so I hope it's not about relationships:ohwell:.

Loved it. Read it in less than a day...I couldn't put it down! I wouldn't call it an advice book, though, but that's what I liked most about it...it's not preachy. She has received rave reviews and has sold out in most of the larger markets (i.e. NYC, ATL, DC). Give it a try, support a sister who is doing something incredibly positive and different. She's not on this "oooh black women aren't married trip." She literally asks, "What's wrong with being young, single and dating?" She has the credentials and experience to back up writing this book. So, I don't understand the negativity.

If you are skeptical, ibooks gave away all of chapter 1 and the beginning of chapter 2. Download it from there.

Last edited:
I read the summary and reviews on amazon and it actualy looks positive and entertaining. I may read it. Doesn't sound like the usual woe is the poor blk woman and here's how to get a man book.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using SGH-T839

Loved it. Read it in less than a day...I couldn't put it down! I wouldn't call it an advice book, though, but that's what I liked most about it...it's not preachy. She has received rave reviews and has sold out in most of the larger markets (i.e. NYC, ATL, DC). Give it a try, support a sister who is doing something incredibly positive and different. She's not on this "oooh black women aren't married trip." She literally asks, "What's wrong with being young, single and dating?" She has the credentials and experience to back up writing this book. So, I don't understand the negativity.

If you are skeptical, ibooks gave away all of chapter 1 and the beginning of chapter 2. Download it from there.

KiKi Homemaker, that is what I like about it, it is not a relationship book she talks about being single and dating and that there is nothing wrong with being single.

Hmm wasn't being negative but okay. Frankly I don't need nor wish to spend my hard earned cash for a book to tell me it's okay to be single. I support my own when I see the need and it's a message that I'm interested in promoting. Besides hearing she writes for essence was all I needed to hear. They write some of the wackiest relationship articles and provide horrible advice.

Love her! Will be buying the book as soon as I make time to get to the store before it closes or order it online. If you haven't read her stuff before, I would read it, her working for Essence has nothing to do with her writing skills. Trust it. If you cant bare yourself to click on their website, just go to hers www.abelleinbk.com

Hmm wasn't being negative but okay. Frankly I don't need nor wish to spend my hard earned cash for a book to tell me it's okay to be single. I support my own when I see the need and it's a message that I'm interested in promoting. Besides hearing she writes for essence was all I needed to hear. They write some of the wackiest relationship articles and provide horrible advice.
Thanks. I won't even touch on her work with Essence and some of the BS she has co-signed. Also, she has had a blog out for years. Not too hard to guess the direction her book would go. Her style and themes definitely follow a trend.

Regardless, if I were single, I wouldn't be reading a book by another single woman telling me how to be what I already am. :look:

Thanks. I won't even touch on her work with Essence and some of the BS she has co-signed. Also, she has had a blog out for years. Not too hard to guess the direction her book would go. Her style and themes definitely follow a trend.

Regardless, if I were single, I wouldn't be reading a book by another single woman telling me how to be what I already am. :look:

Exactly. Essence really? Enough said. You can follow that advice if you want too and remain single. I stopped subscribing to that bs a decade ago.

Exactly. Essence really? Enough said. You can follow that advice if you want too and remain single. I stopped subscribing to that bs a decade ago.

Why would somebody buy a book about finding Mr. Right written by someone who hasn't? That's like me telling someone how to get into law school when I've never been. I'll tell you the book that changed my life:

"He's Just Not That Into You" Seriously. Single ladies will find a mate when they STOP buying--or pretending to buy BS. All the book really says is "if it sounds like BS, it's BS." But there is something about having another man say that to really put it in perspective, because the actual guy saying it will sweeeear up and down it's not BS, he really is that busy with work, his life really is that complicated and if blah blah blah, he really would give you what you want. BS.

When BS is absolutely so no longer acceptable to you that you can fully be upfront with a man and say things like "unless you are ready to find a life partner and get married, I'm not going to waste my time with you," without caring if he gets turned off or not, that's when you will separate the men from the boys. And don't worry about going through them like underwear (Not sexually--as in dating! LOL). If they get turned off they need. to. go. Find a man who likes the real you, warts and all!

You should hear some of the things I said to my DH when we were dating. :lachen: But he was in it to win it, so it truly didn't matter. The ones before him who weren't all fell by the wayside. And good riddance! I got a good one. You can get one too! :yep:

Last edited:
So I started reading this book over the weekend and I am enjoying it immensely. It's not a "how-to" book at all . . . it's not even a "it's okay to be young and single" book. It's more like a collection of stories from her own life that each offer their own insight into the world of being young, single, and fabulous. She parties it up quite a bit - check the chapter where her dad calls her a "party girl" :giggle: - so for someone who is more of a homebody like me, it's an interesting look into certain types of experiences . . . some good, some not so good.

One thing I do have to wonder, though - where in the world is she meeting ALL of these men who seemingly are fine, have good jobs and access into all the hotest venues? Maybe it's a NYC thing. Either way, I am enjoying it. It's a fun read . . . sort of like reading your sister's diary.

Go Demetria!

I really want to read this book! I wanted to get it when it first came out, but I can't find it anywhere, and I don't want to order it online so...my best bet is the library when they get in some more copies...lol

Good, fun read....she shares her dating experiencing with little nuggets of truth tucked in; I know and have many memories from the places she mentioned so it was also like a trip down memory lane.

for those that like this book that live in the dc area, she is having a book signing at barnes an noble today downtown dc 14th street at 12noon. i happened to be looking for my local barnes and noble and happened to see the book signing event today.

curlycoquette what do you mean exactly ?I dont always read her articles on Essence so i havent really noticed anything in particular about her style.

Finished reading the book not too long ago, I only started liking it towards the end.

:lachen::lachen: Good point. On another note, who reads Essence?

Back