6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

NO ltown but just so you ladies know, I am not unsubsrcibing, I am simply not doing anythinf ayurvedic for a while. I am sill available for questions or anything like that and I will still be watching your progress, etc...[/quote
Great Aggie, you have help alot.

Pre oil with vatika and bhring, tea rinse(amla,brahmi,maka,shikaki) and tea leave in amla, maka,brahmi

I tried something different today, I mixed Kalpi Tone,Amla,Shikakai, and Brahmi. I used a tlbs. of each in about 2 cups of boiling water to dissolve. Then I let it cool a bit and then added another cup of cold water. I poured the unstrained mixture through preoiled hair. I forgot to add I prepooed with Shikakai oil, Vatika Cocktail, and Amla oil. I let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes then rinsed. I still can't get with the grittiness of the Shikakai:wallbash: even after mixing it with boiling water. I will use it as a tea from now on. Or use the bar. Anyway after I rinsed I made an actual tea rinse from Fenugreek, Hibiscus,Bhringraj,Nettle, & Horsetail. After I rinsed with this a few times. I gently wrung out the hair and lightly towel dried. ( I didn't rinse it out) Then I slathered on AM and V05 moisture milk. I let this sit for an hour and rinsed. My hair feels suuuuper soft. I will do this one again minus the Shikakai. I'm air drying and I will seal later with my Afroveda oils. BTW,the longer I use these oils the more I'm liking them.

I have a cassia gloss in my hair now. This stuff is a mess. I will only do it every 6-8 weeks if I like it. I prepooed with what I am calling my growth oil mix (gro aut, jbco, mahabhrinraj, and Afroveda's Shikakai Growth Elixir) for a few hours with a plastic cap then used the heat cap for an hour. Cassia gloss (cassia, amla oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, honey, Lustrasilk conditioner, and Hairveda's Moist 24/7 which had been premixed with Hairveda's Vatika frosting) was applied then I sat under the steamer for about 3 hours. I put a plastic cap on and will sleep in overnight. One thing that I noticed is the cassia gloss was heavy & big. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to sleep in it comfortably. After steaming if feels like a regular dc in my hair.

,Sh
I tried something different today, I mixed Kalpi Tone,Amla shikakai, and Brahmi. I used a tlbs. of each in about 2 cups of boiling water to dissolve. Then I let it cool a bit and then added another cup of cold water. I poured the unstrained mixture through preoiled hair. I forgot to add I prepooed with Shikakai oil, Vatika Cocktail, and Amla oil. I let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes then rinsed. I still can't get with the grittiness of the Shikakai:wallbash: even after mixing it with boiling water. I will use it as a tea from now on. Or use the bar. Anyway after I rinsed I made an actual tea rinse from Fenugreek, Hibiscus,Bhringraj,Nettle, & Horsetail. After I rinsed with this a few times. I gently wrung out the hair and lightly towel dried. ( I didn't rinse it out) Then I slathered on AM and V05 moisture milk. I let this sit for an hour and rinsed. My hair feels suuuuper soft. I will do this one again minus the Shikakai. I'm air drying and I will seal later with my Afroveda oils. BTW,the longer I use these oils the more I'm liking them.

I think I will try this too, minus the shik. also what is AM? Thanks

I have a cassia gloss in my hair now. This stuff is a mess. I will only do it every 6-8 weeks if I like it. I prepooed with what I am calling my growth oil mix (gro aut, jbco, mahabhrinraj, and Afroveda's Shikakai Growth Elixir) for a few hours with a plastic cap then used the heat cap for an hour. Cassia gloss (cassia, amla oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, honey, Lustrasilk conditioner, and Hairveda's Moist 24/7 which had been premixed with Hairveda's Vatika frosting) was applied then I sat under the steamer for about 3 hours. I put a plastic cap on and will sleep in overnight. One thing that I noticed is the cassia gloss was heavy & big. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to sleep in it comfortably. After steaming if feels like a regular dc in my hair.

How does it feel in comparison to regular Henna? Because I find it pretty heavy also.

Flowinlocks--I've never used henna. I chose cassia because I wanted the conditioning but not the color.

Ladies I am thinking about getting braids myself for my birthday in Oct. but had a question. Currently, I use an Ayurveda cleansing conditioner twice a week and wanted to ask if any of you ladies feel that my hair would benefit from the cleansing co while in braids. My plan would be to cw every day or every other day due to my workouts with a cleansing co and follow up with a tea spritz. Do this sound like an okay plan? I have realized that if I want my hair to grow, I have got to put it away in order to keep my hands out of it(the less manipulation the better). Yesterday, I decided to transition back to my natural hair with the help of braids and would love to continue reaping the wonderful benefits of the Ayurveda powders I have.

Ladies I am thinking about getting braids myself for my birthday in Oct. but had a question. Currently, I use an Ayurveda cleansing conditioner twice a week and wanted to ask if any of you ladies feel that my hair would benefit from the cleansing co while in braids. My plan would be to cw every day or every other day due to my workouts with a cleansing co and follow up with a tea spritz. Do this sound like an okay plan? I have realized that if I want my hair to grow, I have got to put it away in order to keep my hands out of it(the less manipulation the better). Yesterday, I decided to transition back to my natural hair with the help of braids and would love to continue reaping the wonderful benefits of the Ayurveda powders I have.

I made a braid spritz for DD with a Brahmi and Fenugreek tea as the base. It works really well. Her hair has become really strong and SOFT.

Last night I massaged my scalp with Shikakai growth elixir, Hibiscus oil, and my homemade Fenugreek Bhringraj oil. I ran Amla oil down the length.

HI I don't know when this challenge started but I am just crazy about ayurveda at the moment. I have tried kapor katchli, kalpi tone, brahmi and multani, My curls are popping like i never thought they would. I just need to check in with someone as my DH is getting tired of my raving lol.

I made a braid spritz for DD with a Brahmi and Fenugreek tea as the base. It works really well. Her hair has become really strong and SOFT.
Awesome! Thanks so much for your reply. Do you mind me asking if you know of anyone here in Memphis that does a great job at braiding(box braids) without being too rough with the hairline?
tia,
tishee

ETA: Are you buying your brahmi and fenugreek locally? If so, where?

Pre oil with Neelibhringadi oil 2hr + wash with shikakai bar, then DC 20 min ea with UBH + porosity control & Nexxus Humectress last night. Hair felt AWESOME!

Hi Ladies,

I have not used Ayurveda in awhile, so since I'm on vaca I decided to give myself a treatment today. I pre-pooed with Brahmi Amla oil and Mahabringraj for about five hrs. I then mixed Brahami Powder with mostly Amla powder adding oil and hot water. This made a nice paste. I applied it and let it sit with a plastic cap for abt 30 min. I rinsed out and used some of my dominicans rinses to help get the grains out. My hair was really soft. I'm now under the dryer deep cond with a mixture of cond and oil. I'm looking forward to softer hair since I'm almost 10 wks post. This is my first time using Brahmi powder, but so far I like it. It's time to order my Vatika oil, Amla oil and Amla powder. I'm completely out!

Awesome! Thanks so much for your reply. Do you mind me asking if you know of anyone here in Memphis that does a great job at braiding(box braids) without being too rough with the hairline?
tia,
tishee

ETA: Are you buying your brahmi and fenugreek locally? If so, where?

I usually buy from the Indian grocer in Cordova, but I just got back to town after being away for months so I don't know what they still stock.

Years ago I frequented the African Braid salon on Madison, but I don't know if it is still there. They were very neat, and listened to all of my healthy hair requests.

I had a really wonderful experience yesterday and then got too excited and messed it all up. I have been getting away with just using a cone free coconut conditioner after I have used my powders and have had some really soft hair, anyhoo yesterday I decided to use fuller earth which I picked up at the supermarket. I had a lot of Shea butter on my hair my scalp was desperate for me to wash off so I used the whole 100g of FE on my hair and scalp, it felt amazing and when I washed it off my curls popped and they were defined. Then I made a mistake, i mixed kapour kacthli and kalpi tone together with a little vatika oil and went under the steamer. when i washed the mixture out my hair was still defined but very dry, I had it in my mind that KK was simply for fragrance and KT was a dc but in fact they are both more for cleansing. So basically I double washed and did not DC so my hair is very dry now....I was a little over excited. I have wacked on some homemade caramel treatment which I will steam later, that will get me back to were i was.

On a positive note my hair is so strong I tried to snap a strand yesterday and it took real effort, I have never known my hair to be so strong before.

hhj

Last edited:
I had a really wonderful experience yesterday and then got too excited and messed it all up. I have been getting away with just using a cone free coconut conditioner after I have used my powders and have had some really soft hair, anyhoo yesterday I decided to use fuller earth which I picked up at the supermarket. I had a lot of Shea butter on my hair my scalp was desperate for me to wash off so I used the whole 100g of FE on my hair and scalp, it felt amazing and when I washed it off my curls popped and they were defined. Then I made a mistake, i mixed kapour kacthli and kalpi tone together with a little vatika oil and went under the steamer. when i washed the mixture out my hair was still defined but very dry, I had it in my mind that KK was simply for fragrance and KT was a dc but in fact they are both more for cleansing. So basically I double washed and did not DC so my hair is very dry now....I was a little over excited. I have wacked on some homemade caramel treatment which I will steam later, that will get me back to were i was.

On a positive note my hair is so strong I tried to snap a strand yesterday and it took real effort, I have never known my hair to be so strong before.

hhj

Sounds like you just got your protein "fix" in for the month without even realizing it! :look: Just remember to keep your hair moisturized, and give it weekly DC's to balance out the protein/moisture. I'm finding that a moisturizing DC is one that has plenty of lipids, or fats in it, like essential fatty acids. They are so good for the hair. Most heavy conditioners, like cholesterols have good fats in them.

Picked up my Njoi products from the post office yesterday. I think I am in LOVE with Ayurvedic butter. Not sure yet, but I think I am falling . . . . Will try the Ayurvedic shampoo bar tonight . . .

Im in love with the Ayurvedic Butter too! My hair definately feels thicker and stronger from using it! Let me know how the Ayurvedic shampoo bar is!

Picked up my Njoi products from the post office yesterday. I think I am in LOVE with Ayurvedic butter. Not sure yet, but I think I am falling . . . . Will try the Ayurvedic shampoo bar tonight . . .

I am still here. Since i have enuff hair growing, i made braids, so i have been doing a lot of oiling and condish washing.

I was chelating last week with ORS Shampoo and my scalp broke out something terrible. That's what i get for not wanting to mix my Aritha and Shikakai powders. Lesson learnt!

HI I don't know when this challenge started but I am just crazy about ayurveda at the moment. I have tried kapor katchli, kalpi tone, brahmi and multani, My curls are popping like i never thought they would. I just need to check in with someone as my DH is getting tired of my raving lol.

Great! Feel free to keep us updated and step into the conversations. We welcome lots of Ayurvedic conversation, lol.

Sounds great! Let us know how your hair benefits from this regimen.

48 weeks in to my transition, a month to go will continue to nip until relaxer is gone praying for miracle growth spur, I'm slow grower even with protective styleing. I was mixing powders with conditioner but after 8 months finally got tired of the drippy messy mix. I pre oil with amla/jasmine,shikaki mix, wash with shikaki, amla, brahmi shampoo bar, tea rinse with horsetail, nettle,green tea. Applied cantu leave in. Moisturize with shealoe mix, oil with afroveda shikaki oil and vatika oil.

Sounds like you just got your protein "fix" in for the month without even realizing it! :look: Just remember to keep your hair moisturized, and give it weekly DC's to balance out the protein/moisture. I'm finding that a moisturizing DC is one that has plenty of lipids, or fats in it, like essential fatty acids. They are so good for the hair. Most heavy conditioners, like cholesterols have good fats in them.

Hmm yes my hair is soooooo strong, like iron rope, loving it, I DC overnight with my homemade caramel treatment which has palm oil and shea butter in it to name a few oils and my hair is lovely and soft. Lesson learned.

Off out to get some fenugreek and search for hibiscus flowers, steep me up some oils :grin:

Last edited:
Pre pooed with Hesh Shikakai oil, then shampooed with my Shikakai bar, then dced with AM,ORS,V05, Bhringraj,Brahmi, Nettle, & Horsetail.

I plan to massage my scalp with neem oil, amla oil on ends and use my conditioner mix overnight. Tomorrow I will shampoo with my Skikakai bar and retwist my hair.

Im in love with the Ayurvedic Butter too! My hair definately feels thicker and stronger from using it! Let me know how the Ayurvedic shampoo bar is!

I am going to have to try to bar again due to a mishap with a protein DC and an accidental 3.5 hour nap. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: To make a really short story, I ended up using CSB and the Ayurveda butter to repair. Right now my hair feels very soft. Hopefully I have reversed the immediate effects of the protein. I will most likely hold off on the powders until my balance is back.

Will let you know how the shampoo bar worked during next shampoo.

Back