6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

I am sitting with a henna treatment now. I mixed with green tea, shikakai/neem paste, JASON lavender conditioner and amla oil.

I am going to DC tonight with SitriNillah, then moisturize with glycerine/CoCasta/Calm Conditioner/water mix and seal with amla/shea butter

Thanks for checking me on this one, flowinlocks! The recipe belongs to my girl Aggie. I went back in the original post, and changed it to give correct ownership for that creative recipe that gave me mahhhhhvelous results! Thank you, Aggie!!!! I'm on here stalking so much, and getting great ideas that I'm writing down from all of you-in error I credited MCrzyGrl for that one instead. Aggies's original recipe was posted in this tread; it was a combination of 2 Tbs. KalpiTone, 1 Tbs. brahmi, 1.5 Tbs. amla and 1/2 tsp. shikakai, mixed up with 3.5-4 cups of water, and let it steep for an hour. Followed her recipe, and the end result was soft, dark luxurios hair! I'll come back later and post a pic of my first KalpiTone hair 'a la Aggie' style!!!:yep: , and thanks again for lettin me borrow (notice I didn't say steal:lachen:) that recipe!

I was reading your original post thinking, I've never used kalpi tone, lol.

Thanks for checking me on this one, flowinlocks! The recipe belongs to my girl Aggie. I went back in the original post, and changed it to give correct ownership for that creative recipe that gave me mahhhhhvelous results! Thank you, Aggie!!!! I'm on here stalking so much, and getting great ideas that I'm writing down from all of you-in error I credited MCrzyGrl for that one instead. Aggies's original recipe was posted in this tread; it was a combination of 2 Tbs. KalpiTone, 1 Tbs. brahmi, 1.5 Tbs. amla and 1/2 tsp. shikakai, mixed up with 3.5-4 cups of water, and let it steep for an hour. Followed her recipe, and the end result was soft, dark luxurios hair! I'll come back later and post a pic of my first KalpiTone hair 'a la Aggie' style!!!:yep: , and thanks again for lettin me borrow (notice I didn't say steal:lachen:) that recipe!

Awww, I'm so gald you liked it Stella B. I often go back to that recipe when I am having hard hair days:yep:. I have no probs with anyone borrowing the recipe. I want everyone here to have soft manageable hair, coz I will be borrowing some recipes myself:grin:.

When you use the steam/towel/plastic method you are supposed to use a hooded dryer or heat cap. That keeps the heat consistent.

Since I stopped mixing the powders in my condishes I haven't combined steam and ayurveda. I'm just trying to ensure I use everything I have. I have a heat cap, hooded dryer, and steamer. I have been using the heat cap for 30 minutes with my tea rinses. Here's my new plan. I can use my heat cap for prepoos/hot oil treatments. Steam for dcs and tea rinses. Hooded dryer for protein treatments and to set my wet twists. See now everyone is happy :)!

Thanks for sharing your tips too Shay, They make a lot of sense.

Ladies, would you say that Ayurveda helps with fly aways?

Do you mean fron static? I don't really have fly aways because my hair is always oiled, but even when it's straightened out with little product I don't have that problem. Could be the coating from the powders/soap bar, so in my situation I guess it would be safe to say yes.

Last edited:
Do you think it would have worked better if more heat was applied? . . .

When you use the steam/towel/plastic method you are supposed to use a hooded dryer or heat cap. That keeps the heat consistent. . . .

I did sit under my hooded dryer, but I just don't think the heat penetrated through two towels and two plastic caps. Normally my hair is pretty hot when I sit under the dryer, but this time it was barely warm. If someone else comes up with a good method I might try it again. I have gotten GREAT results though from leaving my AOHR and powder mix in overnight. For me, this is a simpler option. I hate sitting still under the dryer - I get really bored. LOL

Lol on the powders GROWING, I noticed this also. The first time I tried to mix up a batch of cowash it was fine the first day, but when I came back the next day it had swelled up in the bottle and was hard to get out.:perplexed . . .

That is EXACTLY what happened to me and I only left it for about 1 hour. It does not do that with the thick, creamy conditioners - only the thinner ones. I would love to do a brahmi treatment every time I co-wash.

Brain blip . . . maybe if I do a seriously concentrated tea and add that to my conditioner, it will work. I think I will try that. :yep:

Do you mean fron static? I don't really have fly aways because my hair is always oiled, but even when it's straightened out with little product I don't have that problem. Could be the coating from the powders/soap bar, so in my situation I guess it would be safe to say yes.

Well, I haven't even started using my powders yet :sekret: but I have a lot of fly aways and I was just wondering if this method will smooth them down. I guess I have to be patient because I'm still waiting on my shipment and I'm hoping it will arrive this week. Thanks for answering my question Flowin :). Your hair really looks healthy and it's grown so much.

My hair is currently straightened, so I need to remove the cones from it. One of the few times I use a sulfate-based shampoo.

I think I will prepoo with neelibhringadi oil while I do some form of exercise. Poo with ORS Creamy Aloe, followed by cowash with KT conditioner. DC with KBB Luscious Locks mixed with Amla Oil, rinse and do a wng for the next few days.

My powders arrived :yay:! Question for the ladies that are mixing powders with their conditioers:

Do you mix your powders with water first as in a paste and then mix it into your conditioner or do you just pour your powders in your conditioner and call it a day? I hope I'm making sense.

My powders arrived :yay:! Question for the ladies that are mixing powders with their conditioers:

Do you mix your powders with water first as in a paste and then mix it into your conditioner or do you just pour your powders in your conditioner and call it a day? I hope I'm making sense.

I mix straight powder and cond.

When you use the steam/towel/plastic method you are supposed to use a hooded dryer or heat cap. That keeps the heat consistent.

Since I stopped mixing the powders in my condishes I haven't combined steam and ayurveda. I'm just trying to ensure I use everything I have. I have a heat cap, hooded dryer, and steamer. I have been using the heat cap for 30 minutes with my tea rinses. Here's my new plan. I can use my heat cap for prepoos/hot oil treatments. Steam for dcs and tea rinses. Hooded dryer for protein treatments and to set my wet twists. See now everyone is happy :)!

Good advice, I just got my steamer and already have heat cap and dryer.

Yesterday I massaged my scalp with Brahmi, and Vatika Cocktail. I later pooed with my Shikakai bar, cond. with Am and sealed with Afroveda Shikakai oil, Sesa and Gro Aut oil.

Working on stretching again. 8 weeks today. 4 more to go to reach my normal 12 weeks. DCing with Brahmi, Cassia and AOHSR overnight. That should tame the new growth (I hope).

Scritched/massaged/pre-poo'd with amla +vatika oil.
Next, I am steaming
cowash with shikakai+ conditioner
DC
Moisturize and seal with CoCasta

Doing a tea rinse of hibiscus, brahmi and fenugreek powders followed by a Suave Humectant co-wash. Gonna style in a braided bun, love that bun!

I think I am going to back out of this challenge and will join when these kinky twists are out. I donèt feel like I am getting 100% from this because right now, I can only spritz and give myself scalp massages.

I am going to join 2010's challenge when my hair is out and free and I am able to go all out. Good luck to all and I cannot wait to see your results

I am taking a short break from the ayurveda challenge since I just put my extension braids back in again. I don't want to manipulate it too much right now - I am too deep into my relaxer stretch to bother with my hair too much. Sorry ladies but I wish everyone well in their ayurveda journey to healthy hair.

I am taking a short break from the ayurveda challenge since I just put my extension braids back in again. I don't want to manipulate it too much right now - I am too deep into my relaxer stretch to bother with my hair too much. Sorry ladies but I wish everyone well in their ayurveda journey to healthy hair.

Wow I don't know what to do without you in here, so no tea spritizing either?

I think I am going to back out of this challenge and will join when these kinky twists are out. I donèt feel like I am getting 100% from this because right now, I can only spritz and give myself scalp massages.

I am going to join 2010's challenge when my hair is out and free and I am able to go all out. Good luck to all and I cannot wait to see your results

I'm sorry ladies. Keep us posted of your progress anyway since you guys were in this challenge for almost half of it anyway.

Wow I don't know what to do without you in here, so no tea spritizing either?

No ltown but just so you ladies know, I am not unsubsrcibing, I am simply not doing anything ayurvedic for a while. I am sill available for questions or anything like that and I will still be watching your progress, etc...

Last edited:

Awwww, I'm sorry to see you guys back out. But you have to do what's best for your hair. I know how it is when you have braids & twists. It's hard to do all the treatments. Best of luck on your HH journeys, I can't wait to see your results as well.

pre-pooing/deep conditioning now and will do an ayurvedic cleansing conditioner in the shower followed by a moisturizing deep conditioner with steam if I need it.

Hi ladies,
I have been away from the boards for a while, but I am still on board. I have been doing daily tea spritzes and ayurvedic co-washing every other day. My favorite products have been Vatika oil, fenugreek, and Kalpi tone powder. My hair feels soft and strong.:grin:

Thank you for this challenge.

Back