6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

Other than making the hair smell nice, are there any other benefits to the KK?

ETA: I just went to the site and read up on it, I see it helps to thicken the hair. Do you feel like it's working?

Well I've only used it twice so far. The box is pretty small (50 grams) and still the same price as the other larger powders. I like it but I don't know if it will be a staple because of it's small size and high cost. KK is found in kalpi tone as well, so that's enough of it for me I think. I'd take the KT over the KK any day. I won't be re-purchasing the KK. The perfume scent was awesome but the results were not stellar in my opinion.

Last edited:
It's weird for me the effects of Ayurveda on the hair start off kind of subtle. By making the hair feel and look better, then all of a sudden when you're not thinking about it and do a length check you are surprised at how much it has grown. It's like it sneaks up on you. Anyone else experience this?

I definitely feel this way. I've only started doing anything ayurveda with this challenge, and I got my hair cut the weekend before. It's almost at the pre-cut length, and it's only been 2 months. The thickness I have to get used to though :grin:. I've got really thick hair anyway, and it's getting thicker. I like having stupidly thick hair, so that's not a problem, but I have to make sure that I'm even more gentle with the hair than before. I love the aesthetic effects though; my hair is darker and glossier than ever!

To check in, I did a cassia gloss last week, so my hair's been ultra shiny. I've got a KT paste on right now, on top of my vatika oiling. I'll rinse thoroughly, cowash with Aussie Moist, then DC with AO GPB mixed with maka, hibiscus, and JBCO. Probably blow dry and do a braid out.

I definitely feel this way. I've only started doing anything ayurveda with this challenge, and I got my hair cut the weekend before. It's almost at the pre-cut length, and it's only been 2 months. The thickness I have to get used to though :grin:. I've got really thick hair anyway, and it's getting thicker. I like having stupidly thick hair, so that's not a problem, but I have to make sure that I'm even more gentle with the hair than before. I love the aesthetic effects though; my hair is darker and glossier than ever!

To check in, I did a cassia gloss last week, so my hair's been ultra shiny. I've got a KT paste on right now, on top of my vatika oiling. I'll rinse thoroughly, cowash with Aussie Moist, then DC with AO GPB mixed with maka, hibiscus, and JBCO. Probably blow dry and do a braid out.

What's your cassia gloss recipe?

Today I did a T rinse for the first time, DC, applied Afroveda Shik,Hib oil, and twist w/afroveda cocalatte. Not sure of the results yet from the T but I will say clean up was quicker than doing the paste.

?? How often are you ladies doing your hair, Is this anyones first time doing Ayurveda, and how many are oldies at doing Ayurveda,

Results update, when I woke up on sunday and took down my hair it was supppper dry, I was really scared, (I even missed church). I did a deep conditioner w/Aubery Honeysuckle rose/coconut oil for 2hrs and did a conditioner rinse w/shescentit hib. I think I realized that when I did my Dc the first time I only did it for 30 min w/o heat after doing my T rinse.. I learned never cheat on a DC .

Last edited:
Today I did a T rinse for the first time, DC, applied Afroveda Shik,Hib oil, and twist w/afroveda cocalatte. Not sure of the results yet from the T but I will say clean up was quicker than doing the paste.

?? How often are you ladies doing your hair, Is this anyones first time doing Ayurveda, and how many are oldies at doing Ayurveda,

I have been doing it for about a year, I use the oils daily and try to do some sort of treatment at least twice a week.

I've been lurking on the thread for about 2 months. With the exception of touch-ups I have stopped using shampoo during that time.

My routine lately is 2-3 times a week:

• Oiling with Argan oil(one hour to overnight)
  • wash hair with Amla/Bhringeraj tea
  • c/w with Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner
  • Condition with Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner
  • Seal towel dried hair with Argan oil
  • Air dry (after 5 minutes under bonnet dryer)
  • Silk wrap (or flat iron the roots w/Chi as a heat protectant and roll up in three flexi rods if I have to look especially cute)
  • Flat iron bangs
  • Karishma Henna for color and protein treatment one week after relaxer
  • Clarify with ACV once every two weeks or so
  • Every other night or so I moisturize the ends with shea butter/glycerin/rose water mixture and seal with tiny bit of Argan Oil

I'm really trying to keep it simple. So far so good but it usually takes about six months before I can tell whether or not a routine is working.

Last edited:
Henna'd for 4 hours yesterday. Indigo today for just under 2 hours. Moving into 10 weeks post. May get cornrow bun to stretch 4 more weeks.

Ladies, i bought some crushed fenugreek on saturday.

I need help to know what to do with it. Any tip is highly appreciated.

What's your cassia gloss recipe?

My bad Shay! I said cassia gloss, when I really did a cassia treatment. It was my first time using it and I wanted to use it as is to see how my hair responded to it alone before I started combining it. I'll be doing glosses from here on out, but I haven't pinned down a recipe yet.

Update: I used up a large bottle of Creme Of Nature reconstructor today as a prepoo mixed with oil and aloe vera gel. I am about to wash this out right now and pour some ayurveda tea rinse (brahmi, amla, shikakai, kalpi tone, henna and Bhringraj powders and distilled water only) over it.

Today I decided to use my Kalpi Tone as a tea, I mixed it with Shikakai, Amla and Hibiscus. I worked the tea through my strands then I rinsed really good. Now I'm dcing with Motions Cpr, ORS, V05 moisture milk in Strawberrys and cream, Brahmi, Bhringraj and Nettle. I'll air dry and seal with Afroveda Hibiscus oil and Shikakai growth oil.

I repeated this process again, except this time I used AM, V05, and Suave Humectant as my dc.

People keep telling me my hair looks straighter, my sister told me today my hair is more of loose curls and its not as curly, Does certain ayurveda powders change the hair texture? Does this mean I lost my naturalness????

People keep telling me my hair looks straighter, my sister told me today my hair is more of loose curls and its not as curly, Does certain ayurveda powders change the hair texture? Does this mean I lost my naturalness????

I wouldn't say you lost your naturalness, but the powders do seem to loosen the texture. This is why some relaxed heads like to use them, they soften the ng. I notice Vatika oil seems to straighten my hair a bit also. Amla is acidic and is said to increase texture. You might try doing a tea rinse with it. If you feel like your curls are getting too loose or lessen the days you use the powders.I forgot to add, Henna seems to temporarily loosen the hair a bit as well.

I wouldn't say you lost your naturalness, but the powders do seem to loosen the texture. This is why some relaxed heads like to use them, they soften the ng. I notice Vatika oil seems to straighten my hair a bit also. Amla is acidic and is said to increase texture. You might try doing a tea rinse with it. If you feel like your curls are getting too loose or lessen the days you use the powders.I forgot to add, Henna seems to temporarily loosen the hair a bit as well.

ITA with you flowinlocks in that henna and some powders seem to loosen and soften the curl pattern. That's why I really like using it for my new growth. Even my bhringaraj oil mixed in with vatika softens my new growth quite a bit!
Just wanted to add that I finally got a chance to try the KalpiTone a few days ago. I tried Aggie's recipe, (thanks!) and my hair came out dark, thick, and luscious!

Last edited:
ITA with you flowinlocks in that henna and some powders seem to loosen and soften the curl pattern. That's why I really like using it for my new growth. Even my bhringaraj oil mixed in with vatika softens my new growth quite a bit!
Just wanted to add that I finally got a chance to try the KalpiTone a few days ago. I tried MsCrzygirl's recipe, (thanks!) and my hair came out dark, thick, and luscious!

Where is this recpie?:sekret:

Where is this recpie?:sekret:
Thanks for checking me on this one, flowinlocks! The recipe belongs to my girl Aggie. I went back in the original post, and changed it to give correct ownership for that creative recipe that gave me mahhhhhvelous results! Thank you, Aggie!!!! I'm on here stalking so much, and getting great ideas that I'm writing down from all of you-in error I credited MCrzyGrl for that one instead. Aggies's original recipe was posted in this tread; it was a combination of 2 Tbs. KalpiTone, 1 Tbs. brahmi, 1.5 Tbs. amla and 1/2 tsp. shikakai, mixed up with 3.5-4 cups of water, and let it steep for an hour. Followed her recipe, and the end result was soft, dark luxurios hair! I'll come back later and post a pic of my first KalpiTone hair 'a la Aggie' style!!!:yep: , and thanks again for lettin me borrow (notice I didn't say steal:lachen:) that recipe!

KalpiTone pics added on 9/4/09 http://public.fotki.com/Malanei/

Last edited:
I am deep conditioning now with steam for 30 min. and will do a cleansing co in the shower. Next week, I am attempting my first henna treatment with Karishma herbal henna and water.

Thanks for checking me on this one, flowinlocks! The recipe belongs to my girl Aggie. I went back in the original post, and changed it to give correct ownership for that creative recipe that gave me mahhhhhvelous results! Thank you, Aggie!!!! I'm on here stalking so much, and getting great ideas that I'm writing down from all of you-in error I credited MCrzyGrl for that one instead. Aggies's original recipe was posted in this tread; it was a combination of 2 Tbs. KalpiTone, 1 Tbs. brahmi, 1.5 Tbs. amla and 1/2 tsp. shikakai, mixed up with 3.5-4 cups of water, and let it steep for an hour. Followed her recipe, and the end result was soft, dark luxurios hair! I'll come back later and post a pic of my first KalpiTone hair 'a la Aggie' style!!!:yep: , and thanks again for lettin me borrow (notice I didn't say steal:lachen:) that recipe!

:lachen::lachen::lachen:It's all good, that just goes to show how we jump into action when we think we missing something. I agree Aggie's recipe's are the bomb!:wow:

I was asking because I want a steamer, I'm dying to try Ayurveda and steam.
np sweetie. I would never have thought about using the powders & steam together....thanks for asking. The next time I wash, I will add a spoonful of the powder into my pre-poo mix to give it a try.

I was asking because I want a steamer, I'm dying to try Ayurveda and steam.

I have used steam (towel/plastic cap method) with my DC/powder mix, but I don't think it got hot enough. Did not see much of a difference that was worth the trouble :nono:.

----

Used powder mix with AOHR overnight. Rinsing today. Still oiling nightly. I think I am going to try to use a little powder in my cowash - but the powders seem to grow in humongous proportions. So far I have not gotten it to work.

I have used steam (towel/plastic cap method) with my DC/powder mix, but I don't think it got hot enough. Did not see much of a difference that was worth the trouble :nono:.

----

Used powder mix with AOHR overnight. Rinsing today. Still oiling nightly. I think I am going to try to use a little powder in my cowash - but the powders seem to grow in humongous proportions. So far I have not gotten it to work.

Do you think it would have worked better if more heat was applied? Lol on the powders GROWING, I noticed this also. The first time I tried to mix up a batch of cowash it was fine the first day, but when I came back the next day it had swelled up in the bottle and was hard to get out.:perplexed I made a small batch of dc and powders yesterday. I only mixed about 3 teaspoons of powder and it still was too much. I just stored the extra fridge.

When you use the steam/towel/plastic method you are supposed to use a hooded dryer or heat cap. That keeps the heat consistent.

Since I stopped mixing the powders in my condishes I haven't combined steam and ayurveda. I'm just trying to ensure I use everything I have. I have a heat cap, hooded dryer, and steamer. I have been using the heat cap for 30 minutes with my tea rinses. Here's my new plan. I can use my heat cap for prepoos/hot oil treatments. Steam for dcs and tea rinses. Hooded dryer for protein treatments and to set my wet twists. See now everyone is happy :)!

Back