6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

Okay today I will deep cowashing with quite a bit of powders:

1 Tbs of shikakai powder
2Tbs of bhringraj powder
2 Tbs of amla powder
2 Tbs of kalpi tone
2 Tbs of brahmi powder

I add my Fenugreek rinse to it with a few drops of rosemary and peppermint essential oils, 4oz of coconut and shikakai oils and 5oz of HE HH.

Right now though, I am pre poing with aloe vera gel mixed with some OCT and Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor with heat for approx. 30 mintes. I'll be adding my ayurveda cowash paste right over that and rub it into my scalp for sure for stimulation. I will keep it on an additional 30 minutes.

Then I'll cowash it out with the remaining HE HH and maybe some V05 Free Me Freesia Conditioner.

Following will be either a DC of Giovanni SAS or Joico Body Luxe. I haven't decided which yet.

Last edited:
Wow FL, my hair loves KT but my nails do not - leaves them a bit dark and I have to sit and scrub them until they brighten. I think I'll use lemon juice next time to see if that will make it easier to remove the KT from my nails or I'll simply wear gloves as if I am henna'ing my hair:yep:. I must admit though, that I have been recently using it as a rinse and not a paste.

Okay, seriously, I thought I was the only one! KT has the same effect on my fingers and nails. I've been using it mixed with my conditioner as a cowash, though I'm tempted to use it as a paste this weekend.

I did a henna gloss, clarified, and deep conditioned with prosity control and ORS last night. Today I'm not sure what I want to do with my hair style wise, lol.

Sorry Imoan, I was MIA for a few days but yes there are other moisturizing DC's out there. If you like to shop on vitacost.com, look for Jason Naturals Jojoba and Biotin Conditioners. They are awesome but I especially like the jojoba one, and they're cheap too - around $5.87 for a 16oz bottle.

so basically any conditioner can work as a DC??? I did not know that,, dummy me would always look for stuff that was label deep conditioner.. ok ok.. my eyes have seen the light. I am on vitacost checking out Jasons now, I want the sea kelp and another one someone mentioned on here.. cant remember.. going to search think it was Kellum who mentioned Jasons..oohhh girl Jasons conditoners have some awesome ingredients..

I did a henna gloss, clarified, and deep conditioned with prosity control and ORS last night. Today I'm not sure what I want to do with my hair style wise, lol.

What and how do you Henna Gloss, or is that the same as when I do my karishma henna? Thanks

Well what on earth!!!

I just went on ayurnaturalbeauty.com and ALL the henna Nupur are !! GONEI mean GONE!! Already!!!

I cannot believe it. I go on a 3 day hiatus and come back and this is what happens. You know it's a good thing I don't mind waiting until the indigo arrives, GEESH!!:grin:

Oh BTW, I saw some additional oils on the site:yay:, but I don't see any brahmi, bhringraj, or brahmi amla oils though:sad:. I wonder if Ekua is bringing those in too:look:.

Glad it wasnt my beloved KT... heheheheheheeee, that stuff is the Business for me... people keep asking me what I put in my hair and I hesitate to tell them KT...I luvvvvvvvvvvv it..

Okay, seriously, I thought I was the only one! KT has the same effect on my fingers and nails. I've been using it mixed with my conditioner as a cowash, though I'm tempted to use it as a paste this weekend.

The paste is awesome too. I truly feel you won't regret it. Try using some fenugreeek seed rinse as a base to make it for a lot of slip.

so basically any conditioner can work as a DC??? I did not know that,, dummy me would always look for stuff that was label deep conditioner.. ok ok.. my eyes have seen the light. I am on vitacost checking out Jasons now, I want the sea kelp and another one someone mentioned on here.. cant remember.. going to search think it was Kellum who mentioned Jasons..oohhh girl Jasons conditoners have some awesome ingredients..

Told ya so:grin:!

Okay today I will deep cowashing with quite a bit of powders:

1 Tbs of shikakai powder
2Tbs of bhringraj powder
2 Tbs of amla powder
2 Tbs of kalpi tone
2 Tbs of brahmi powder

I add my Fenugreek rinse to it with a few drops of rosemary and peppermint essential oils, 4oz of coconut and shikakai oils and 5oz of HE HH.

Right now though, I am pre poing with Lily of the Valley aloe vera gel mixed with some OCT and Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor with heat for approx. 30 mintes. I'll be adding my ayurveda cowash paste right over that and rub it into my scalp for sure for stimulation. I will keep it on an additional 30 minutes.

Then I'll cowash it out with the remaining HE HH and maybe some V05 Free Me Freesia Conditioner.

Following will be either a DC of Giovanni SAS or Joico Body Luxe.

ETA: I ended up using both the Giovanni SAS and the Joico Body Luxe because the Body LUxe felt better on my relaxed ends and the SAS felt better on my new growth, (I spread a little honey over it) but still an awesome combination that left my hair very very soft and manageable.

The next thing I did was a final flat beer and jojoba oil rinse and washed it with cold water. I finished off with Beauty Without Cruelty Leave in. That was lightly fragranced, all natural ingredients and felt really great going on as well. Thanks again Terri for blessing me with this little treasure:yep:.

Okay here's my update on the entire treatment today. All I can say is WOW!!! I will be doing this treatment again and again. I had enough left over for another day so I'll reduce the ingredients by half for the next ayurveda deep cowash. I need to add these steps to my fotki album.

I believe it may have been the pre-poo or it may have been the ayu-cowash, but I had virtually no breakage and I have over 4" of new growth on my relaxed head. I am stunned with the results and can't wait to do another one. I will however try to space the aloe vera/Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor pre-poo treatment out at 2 week interval or as often as needed. That was a very effective pre-poo for breakage.

My hair feels very strong and yet soft and lush:lick:.

KT/Amla paste with amla and almond oils. Wore a braid-out most for several days this past week and the color from the treatments is like WOW!

Ok something weird is def. going on with my cond. mixes. Today I mixed ORS,Motions CPR, Suave, Brahmi, Bhringraj, Horsetail, Nettle, and Amla. I also mixed in a little of my homemade oil made with, Olive oil, Fenugreek, and Bhringraj. My mixes have been coming out runny so I have been trying to pinpoint what ingredient was doing this. The only thing I added new was KT,and Hibiscus. I've tried both of these separately to see which one it was. And they produced the same result, runny. I PURPOSELY left out both of these so I could get my usual consistency of a thick creamy mud. :nono: What I got was thick but not creamy, it's almost like the powders want to separate from the cond. if that makes sense. Like when I rub it in my hair the powder tries to crumble away and the hair is left wet with the 2 not totally congealed together. Remind you I have done this same method since I started using Ayurveda, and I alway got stellar results. No matter how much cond. I mixed in it always resulted in a thick creamy paste. I checked to see if my powders were expired, but they are not, however I have been using some of the ones I got from Ruchita, not saying it's anything wrong with them, but I'm having a hard time pinpointing the problem. I have given up on using the Hibiscus or KT as a paste or in cond. As the slightest amout of liquid turns them into water. Could I have a bad batch? I don't know but I will try them as teas.

Last edited:
Ok something weird is def. going on with my cond. mixes. Today I mixed ORS,Motions CPR, Suave, Brahmi, Bhringraj, Horsetail, Nettle, and Amla. I also mixed in a little of my homemade oil made with, Olive oil, Fenugreek, and Bhringraj. My mixes have been coming out runny so I have been trying to pinpoint what ingredient was doing this. The only the I added new was KT,and Hibiscus. I've tried both of these separately to see which one it was. And they produced the same result, runny. I PURPOSELY left out both of these so I could get my usual consistency of a thick creamy mud. :nono: What I got was thick but not creamy, it's almost like the powders want to separate from the cond. if that makes sense. Like when I rub in in my hair the powder tries to crumble away and the hair is left wet with the 2 not totally congealed together. Remind you I have done this same method sine I started using Ayurveda, and I alway got stellar results. No matter how much cond. I mixed in it always resulted in a thick creamy paste. I checked to see if my powders were expired, but they are not, however I have been using some of the ones I got from Ruchita, not saying it's anything wrong with them, but I'm having a hard time pinpointing the problem. I have given up on using the Hibiscus or KT as a paste or in cond. As the slightest amout of liquid turns them into water. Could I have a bad batch? I don't know but I will try them as teas.

Hmmm, I have no clue what's going on here FL. I guess you could try them as teas and let us know what happens then.

KT/Amla paste with amla and almond oils. Wore a braid-out most for several days this past week and the color from the treatments is like WOW!

I agree Aspire. I get an amazing color from these two powders too. When my grays are looking fierce, I use these 2 powders and they calm them down temporarily. Thank goodness, I'm wearing wigs as my protective styles until Ekua brings in some indigo.

after pre-poo with brahmi-amla oil, i applied a brahmalma-neem paste and then DC with a moisturizing cond.

Ok something weird is def. going on with my cond. mixes. Today I mixed ORS,Motions CPR, Suave, Brahmi, Bhringraj, Horsetail, Nettle, and Amla. I also mixed in a little of my homemade oil made with, Olive oil, Fenugreek, and Bhringraj. My mixes have been coming out runny so I have been trying to pinpoint what ingredient was doing this. The only the I added new was KT,and Hibiscus. I've tried both of these separately to see which one it was. And they produced the same result, runny. I PURPOSELY left out both of these so I could get my usual consistency of a thick creamy mud. :nono: What I got was thick but not creamy, it's almost like the powders want to separate from the cond. if that makes sense. Like when I rub in in my hair the powder tries to crumble away and the hair is left wet with the 2 not totally congealed together. Remind you I have done this same method sine I started using Ayurveda, and I alway got stellar results. No matter how much cond. I mixed in it always resulted in a thick creamy paste. I checked to see if my powders were expired, but they are not, however I have been using some of the ones I got from Ruchita, not saying it's anything wrong with them, but I'm having a hard time pinpointing the problem. I have given up on using the Hibiscus or KT as a paste or in cond. As the slightest amout of liquid turns them into water. Could I have a bad batch? I don't know but I will try them as teas.
Flowin, I don't know either but you may have to stick to what have worked for you in the past. Maybe a bad batch or just bad day. I know you will figure it out because I depending on you and Aggie opinions. I know since I've been on this journey there are things I'm noticing that are not working for me that I'm reevaluating right now ayurveda powders.

Ladies how do I perform a strand test before using the powders? I have never performed a strand test before. Also, can henna be used safely with sulfur based products(i.e. homemade mtg mixes)?
tia,
tishee

Is there away that I can incorporate this into my routine? I plan to wear protective styles (mainly twist) for the rest of the year. I plan on using oils on my scalp, but what can I do for my hair. So far I've only made/use conditioner mixes, do think it would be okay to do tea rinse? Anyone have any good tea recipes?

Ladies, I am doing my first cassia treatment on Saturday. I'm so excited to finally have my products :grin:! I have no clue how to do this. Do I do it to dry oiled hair, wet oiled hair, I'm puzzled. I was going to prepoo overnight, but don't know if I need to wash first. I'm going to do an actual treatment the first time, not just a gloss, so I know I'll need to DC afterward. I'm very excited for the shine factor--my boyfriend's birthday is at the end of the month and I want my hair blingin :grin:!!!

I have my fifth weekly henna treatment on for an overnight treatment. I mixed in dried cranberries and my usual paprika. Tomorrow I will rinse/wash with shikakai soap, since I applied to unwashed, dry hair.
After, I'll do a moisturizing DC with heat, moisturize and seal with CoCasta.

Ladies how do I perform a strand test before using the powders? I have never performed a strand test before. Also, can henna be used safely with sulfur based products(i.e. homemade mtg mixes)?
tia,
tishee

I'm not sure about this one, you might want to post this in the new Henna thread. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=335111&highlight=henna

About doing a strand test, I'm assuming you're talking about Henna? If so, when I first tried it I mixed up a tiny batch and applied it to hair harvested from combs or hair that I had shed. I put it in a ziplock bag with the mixture and left it for about 6 hours then rinsed and blotted it dry with paper towel. I was able to see the color as well as feel the strength in the strands, HTH.

Last edited:
Ladies, I am doing my first cassia treatment on Saturday. I'm so excited to finally have my products :grin:! I have no clue how to do this. Do I do it to dry oiled hair, wet oiled hair, I'm puzzled. I was going to prepoo overnight, but don't know if I need to wash first. I'm going to do an actual treatment the first time, not just a gloss, so I know I'll need to DC afterward. I'm very excited for the shine factor--my boyfriend's birthday is at the end of the month and I want my hair blingin :grin:!!!

This is what I do.:yep: No need to wash hair first.

Is there away that I can incorporate this into my routine? I plan to wear protective styles (mainly twist) for the rest of the year. I plan on using oils on my scalp, but what can I do for my hair. So far I've only made/use conditioner mixes, do think it would be okay to do tea rinse? Anyone have any good tea recipes?

The oils are great for daily maintenance of the hair and scalp. The teas are also a great treat for the hair. Def. stops shedding. I usually use Bhringraj, Bhrami,Amla,Nettle, Fenugreek, and Horsetail. Sometimes all together or just 2 or 3 of them. Aggie has some great recipes in her Fotki as well as a tea spritz. Sometimes if I'm lazy I'll saturate my hair with the oils at night and cowash in the morning with a cheapie cond. only. My hair stay soft and moist just by doing this alone. Even if I don't feel like doing full treatments.

I have my fifth weekly henna treatment on for an overnight treatment. I mixed in dried cranberries and my usual paprika. Tomorrow I will rinse/wash with shikakai soap, since I applied to unwashed, dry hair.
After, I'll do a moisturizing DC with heat, moisturize and seal with CoCasta.

I wouldn't wash for a few days if you want the the actual color from the Henna. I would give it a few days to oxidize.

I am still in this! I was traveling so I did do rinses and such for two weeks. This past week I did a tea rinse and added some powders to my conditioner. My hair is breaking at the ends so I am going to do aphogee next week...it seems that henna does not cut it.

Back