6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

Does anyone have a review on the Afroveda Shikakai bar yet? :look: I've been thinking about buying one, but I'm also playing with the idea of making my own soaps, so I can make them as yummy as I please,:drunk: plus I could save a few bucks by using up some of the powders I already have.

wow, I just looked at the site yesterday and didn't see a shikakai bar. I've tried the carrot one and loved it. :yep:

Has anyone notice the difference in their hair since doing this challenge???? I have my goodness, even people are givng me more complements on my hair. I might be crazy but it seem to be growing even faster.. How long have we been on this challenge.... cant wait too see the end result when challenge is over.. wowzers

Has anyone notice the difference in their hair since doing this challenge???? I have my goodness, even people are givng me more complements on my hair. I might be crazy but it seem to be growing even faster.. How long have we been on this challenge.... cant wait too see the end result when challenge is over.. wowzers
People have mostly noticed the color, even before I started with henna, the other powders/oils were making my hair darker and giving it more sheen. It shrinks up so they don't really notice the growth too much.

Okay, folks!

I'm not an official member of this challenge, but the ladies on this challenge, the previous four month ayurveda challenge, and the ayurveda support thread inspired me to give it a try. I did months of prep reading through the threads, researching various ayurvedic supplies sites, questioning knowledgable ladies (thanks Aggie and Flowinlocks) and sycing myself up.

I finally, finally did my first, FULL ON ayurvedic hair treatment.

I simply must share the experience, relating the events exactly as they happened.

So, here's what happened:

I massaged my scalp with a mixture of emu, rosemary, tea tree, and peppermint oils. Then I applied amla oil to my hair. Left it on for about 3 hours. -meanwhile I made turkey tacos with baby spinach instead of lettuce...yummm

Meanwhile I made a tea of fenugreek, amla, brahmi, and bhringaji (sp? - please don't think that I'm any less enthusiastic about this just because I can't spell some of these words).

I poured the mixture over my head, concentrating on my scalp and ends. I massaged and then rinsed. Oh, my goodness. My hair felt soooooooooo soft and even detangled. My hair has never felt that way after a tea rinse. AND I mean NEVA!!!

Then came the tour de force. I made a deep conditioning mixture of Aussie Moist, Lustrasilk Shea Butter, EVOO, and vatika oil, which I applied to my hair. Then sat under the hair steamer for an hour. - while watching Season 3 of The Office

I rinsed...ohhh, the hair was like buttah! Buttah, I tells ya! BUTTTTTAHH!

I applied smidges Knot Today, Qhemet Burdock Root, Shine & Define, sealed with vatika and then twisted my hair up to airdry. - while still watching Season 3 of the office

Ladies, as I type, I can't help, but stop every so often to tug a braid from under my scarf, touch it to savor the sweet, sweet softness and to smell the rich, lemony, coconuty scent of the vatika oil. *pauses to sheepishly tuck the braid back into the scarf*

Ahhhh, ayurveda. Where hast thou been all my life?

...Now, if I have to teach myself how to henna. *rushes off to read the henna threads*

Carpe Diem, ladies!!

Last edited:
I did my first henna treatment last night/early morning and love the results. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=391178

I will do these once a month to every 6 weeks with glosses in between.

For those that henna how do you work your protein DCs into your regimen? I am planning on only using protein when I don't henna. Is that what you all are doing? I don't want hard hair or to over do it. TIA

I did my first henna treatment last night/early morning and love the results. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=391178

For those that henna how do you work your protein DCs into your regimen? I am planning on only using protein when I don't henna. Is that what you all are doing? I don't want hard hair or to over do it. TIA

:yep: That's exactly what I do.

^^^Thanks, now I feel better. I knew my hair would still need protein because henna is not a protein although it acts like one especially since my hair is texlaxed. I got it now, yay :)

Okay, folks!

I'm not an official member of this challenge, but the ladies on this challenge, the previous four month ayurveda challenge, and the ayurveda support thread inspired me to give it a try. I did months of prep reading through the threads, researching various ayurvedic supplies sites, questioning knowledgable ladies (thanks Aggie and Flowinlocks) and sycing myself up.

I simply must share the experience, relating the events exactly as they happened.

I massaged my scalp with a mixture of emu, rosemary, tea tree, and peppermint oils. Then I applied amla oil to my hair. Left it on for about 3 hours. -meanwhile I made turkey tacos with baby spinach instead of lettuce...yummm

Meanwhile I made a tea of fenugreek, amla, brahmi, and bhringaji (sp? - please don't think that I'm any less enthusiastic about this just because I can't spell some of these words).

I poured the mixture over my head, concentrating on my scalp and ends. I massaged and then rinsed. Oh, my goodness. My hair felt soooooooooo soft and even detangled. My hair has never felt that way after a tea rinse. AND I mean NEVA!!!

Then came the tour de force. I made a deep conditioning mixture of Aussie Moist, Lustrasilk Shea Butter, EVOO, and vatika oil, which I applied to my hair. Then sat under the hair steamer for an hour. - while watching Season 3 of The Office

I applied smidges Knot Today, Qhemet Burdock Root, Shine & Define, sealed with vatika and then twisted my hair up to airdry. - while still watching Season 3 of the office

Ladies, as I type, I can't help, but stop every so often to tug a braid from under my scarf, touch it to savor the sweet, sweet softness and to smell the rich, lemony, coconuty scent of the vatika oil. *pauses to sheepishly tuck the braid back into the scarf*

...Now, if I have to teach myself how to henna. *rushes off to read the henna threads*

Carpe Diem, ladies!!

Welcome to the worls of Ayurveda!!! :reddancer:I'm glad you had a great first experience. Believe me when you start seeing the positive changes in your hair, you won't give a lot of your old products a second look. Keep us posted on your results.

I notice a huge difference in the strength, softness, and shine. And no it's not your imagination on it growing faster.:grin:

Kalpi Tone experience, I mixed 2 tlbs.of Kalpi Tone, 1 tlbs of Bhringraj, 1 1/2 ounces of my Vatika Cocktail, & Suave Humectant till it got creamy. I was hoping the extra Bhringraj plus oil & cond. would counteract some of the dryness of this powder. Well let's just say, my hair immediately recognized it as a cleansing powder regardless. Plus the graininess from the Shikakai mixed with the oil & cond. kinda made it hard to rinse out. I only left this mixture on for about 10mins. and I'm glad I did. It was kinda hard & tangled after rinsing. I really think it was from the Aritha, my hair HATES this powder even in small doses. I didn't bother using any cheapie cond. to get the rest of the residue out, I just grabbed my handy Skikakai bar, suds up a few times, rinsed then applied a dc with Silicone Mix (I love how this cond. melts my ng), Brahmi, Bhringraj, and topped it off with AM. My hair feels soft & moist after rinsing. This is my second time trying it & not being thrilled with the results. I think I'll try it as a tea the next time followed with a dc. If I don't like it after that it will be my final time using it.

Okay, folks!

Carpe Diem, ladies!!

This sounds simple enough and I will be trying it. I did it backwards last week- I washed, DC'd and did a cassia tea rinse and my hair was soft and the comb slid right through it but, it was kind of hard once it airdried..I think I should've made the DC the last step.

Last edited:
This sounds simple enough and I will be trying it. I did it backwards last week- I washed, DC'd and did a cassia tea rinse and my hair was soft and the comb slid right through it but, it was kind of hard once it airdried..I think I should've made the DC the last step.

Yeah, you want to dc after the Cassia.

Yes, I was amazed at how simple it was when I finally had everything that I needed and went through with it. I can easily see myself doing this once a week on wash day. I'll probably alternate the rinse with a shampoo bar or a clarifying treatment once a month or so.

Try rinsing and then DCing. If your experience is anything like mine, you will NOT regret it. :yep:

Today, I did a mix of Kalpi Tone,Kapoor Kachil,Hibiscus,fenugreek,coconut oil, green-t, and co wash with tropical suave, and now I am sitting here dc'g w/Myhoneychild Honey Hair Mask.

Flowinlocks, KT not working for you?

Yes, I was amazed at how simple it was when I finally had everything that I needed and went through with it. I can easily see myself doing this once a week on wash day. I'll probably alternate the rinse with a shampoo bar or a clarifying treatment once a month or so.

Try rinsing and then DCing. If your experience is anything like mine, you will NOT regret it. :yep:

What are your measurements for the tea?

I prepooed overnight with the Cocasta Shikakai oil. Currently have a tea rinse of amla, shikakai, maka, and fenugreek in my hair, which I'll leave on for an hour. Will clarify and do aphogee 2 step treatment, DC with YTC Mud Mask mixed with garlic oil and vatika oil. Probably twist hair with some shea amla and have happy hair.

Oh, and my hair is darker, definitely shinier, and is growing (and shedding more, hence the garlic oil). My boyfriend noticed, which is saying something. I cut 2 inches off my hair at the end of June, and when I pulled it yesterday, it's almost all grown back in under 2 months!!! I love this stuff.

Last, my Ruchita order is supposed to have arrived today (I live in an apt, so they have to process the boxes before I can get it, but usps says it was delivered). I can't wait to do a cassia treatment next week. Also, I got some mustard oil. There aren't a lot of threads on it--have any of you used it, and if so, how? TIA!

ETA: Did YTC mask with bhringaraj oil instead :lick:. Having an Afroveda Vata moment: going to condition with Kissi Seed Conditioner, seal with Sunsilk Citrus Oil, and twist with Shea Amla. But I'm tired, so I might take a nap first :look:.

Last edited:
tonight I pre-pooed with neem oil (this is new to me so???) and scritched
rinsed
then made a tea of alma and shakaiki
rinsed with suave coconut conditioner
applied coconut oil, ORS mayo, baggied and going to sleep.

I'll rinse it out in the morning.
HHG

Today, I did a mix of Kalpi Tone,Kapoor Kachil,Hibiscus,fenugreek,coconut oil, green-t, and co wash with tropical suave, and now I am sitting here dc'g w/Myhoneychild Honey Hair Mask.

Flowinlocks, KT not working for you?

It's working, I just like it as oppose to the other powders I love. Like I said, I'll try it as a tea before I give up on it.

Last edited:
I prepooed overnight with the Cocasta Shikakai oil. Currently have a tea rinse of amla, shikakai, maka, and fenugreek in my hair, which I'll leave on for an hour. Will clarify and do aphogee 2 step treatment, DC with YTC Mud Mask mixed with garlic oil and vatika oil. Probably twist hair with some shea amla and have happy hair.

Oh, and my hair is darker, definitely shinier, and is growing (and shedding more, hence the garlic oil). My boyfriend noticed, which is saying something. I cut 2 inches off my hair at the end of June, and when I pulled it yesterday, it's almost all grown back in under 2 months!!! I love this stuff.

Last, my Ruchita order is supposed to have arrived today (I live in an apt, so they have to process the boxes before I can get it, but usps says it was delivered). I can't wait to do a cassia treatment next week. Also, I got some mustard oil. There aren't a lot of threads on it--have any of you used it, and if so, how? TIA!

ETA: Did YTC mask with bhringaraj oil instead :lick:. Having an Afroveda Vata moment: going to condition with Kissi Seed Conditioner, seal with Sunsilk Citrus Oil, and twist with Shea Amla. But I'm tired, so I might take a nap first :look:.

What's YTC? :look:

What's YTC? :look:

YTC=Yes to Carrots :lick:. I have the mud mask and the regular conditioner, I used the mud mask today. Definitely helped get the softness back after the Aphogee :yep:. Oh, and I did receive my order from Ruchita today. Everything is as ordered, and I am officially removing my paypal dispute.

YTC=Yes to Carrots :lick:. I have the mud mask and the regular conditioner, I used the mud mask today. Definitely helped get the softness back after the Aphogee :yep:. Oh, and I did receive my order from Ruchita today. Everything is as ordered, and I am officially removing my paypal dispute.

Duh, I knew this...:drunk: I'm glad you received your stuff.

Like flowinlocks, this is also what I do myself. I fit in my reconstructors and oher protein treatments around my henna treatments.

It's working, I'm just like it as oppose to the other powders I love. Like I said, I'll try it as a tea before I give up on it.

Wow FL, my hair loves KT but my nails do not - leaves them a bit dark and I have to sit and scrub them until they brighten. I think I'll use lemon juice next time to see if that will make it easier to remove the KT from my nails or I'll simply wear gloves as if I am henna'ing my hair:yep:. I must admit though, that I have been recently using it as a rinse and not a paste.

Well what on earth!!!

I just went on ayurnaturalbeauty.com and ALL the Nupur henna are GONE!! I mean GONE!! Already!!!

I cannot believe it. I go on a 3 day hiatus and come back and this is what happens. You know it's a good thing I don't mind waiting until the indigo arrives, GEESH!!:grin:

Oh BTW, I saw some additional oils on the site:yay:, but I don't see any brahmi, bhringraj, or brahmi amla oils though:sad:. I wonder if Ekua is bringing those in too:look:.

I lay it on thick too, I use alot of AO conditioners,shescentit,jessiecurls,myhoneychild,afroveda. Are they any others that really give good mositure, I need to learn how to make my own cuzz I go through deep Conditioners bad, 8oz stuff only last me two weeks or less cuzzz I also deep condition my daughters hair... I so want to try DC overnight specially during the hot summer.

Sorry Imoan, I was MIA for a few days but yes there are other moisturizing DC's out there. If you like to shop on vitacost.com, look for Jason Naturals Jojoba and Biotin Conditioners. They are awesome but I especially like the jojoba one, and they're cheap too - around $5.87 for a 16oz bottle.

Well what on earth!!!

I just went on ayurnaturalbeauty.com and ALL the Nupur henna are GONE!! I mean GONE!! Already!!!

I cannot believe it. I go on a 3 day hiatus and come back and this is what happens. You know it's a good thing I don't mind waiting until the indigo arrives, GEESH!!:grin:

Now, Aggie, you know that is the LHCF effect :lachen:.

Back