6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

Ladies, I am trying to make some oil with my amla powder.
I put some coconut oil and amla powder in my crock pot on low heat for the last 3 hours. It smells burnt and looks burnt. Can someone please help me.
What kind of crock pot and what setting? I had bought a small crock pot from Walmart, but it didn't have a "warm" setting - only "low," "medium" and "high." I put my first batch on "low" and had that same issue. I accidentally knocked the crock pot off the top of my fridge and the ceramic pot burst into kajillion pieces (long story, involving my crazy cat...ol). So I never got to try it again.

I went back through the threads about making oils and someone mentioned a small potpourii simmering pot. It only has one setting and it's relatively low. It's small - only holds about a cup of oil at a time, but that's about all I needed to make anyway. I let it simmer for 4 hours, and with this pot, I didn't get that "burnt" smell. You just have to make sure the heat is not too high, and it should work. It should be more of a "toasted" smell, than "burnt."

I've still been spritzing with my tea daily. Last night I did my entire regimen:

Oiled with Vatika, EVCO, and scritched.
Made a tea of nettle and horsetail and let that sit.
Then made my mix of: Amla, Shikakai, Brahmi, Fenugreek, Maka, and Hibiscus.
Poursed my tea in with my mix.
Rinsed oil, then poured mix on head, let sit for 30 to 40 mins with a plastic bag. Co-washed, DC'ed, used FSP after DC, applied leave ins and sealed. My hair is great as usual. It feels soft, and strong.

What kind of crock pot and what setting? I had bought a small crock pot from Walmart, but it didn't have a "warm" setting - only "low," "medium" and "high." I put my first batch on "low" and had that same issue. I accidentally knocked the crock pot off the top of my fridge and the ceramic pot burst into kajillion pieces (long story, involving my crazy cat...ol). So I never got to try it again.

I went back through the threads about making oils and someone mentioned a small potpourii simmeringpot. It only has one setting and it's relatively low. It's small - only holds about a cup of oil at a time, but that's about all I needed to make anyway. I let it simmer for 4 hours, and with this pot, I didn't get that "burnt" smell. You just have to make sure the heat is not too high, and it should work. It should be more of a "toasted" smell, than "burnt."

Exactly.:yep:

last night, I massaged my scalp with amla oil, and added Vatika oil to my moisturizer overnight
today, I cleansed with Swastik shikakai soap, cowashed with V05 and amla powder
mixed Mehandi powder with paprika and warm green tea+ amla oil for overnight henna treatment (I am loving the cranberry highlights I've gotten from the paprika)

I did a Cassia Obovata with Brahmi on Saturday, after doing a Uttam Shikakkai shampoo and then using my shampoo bar (need another one soon) then I did a DC with AOHSR, mixed with Aveda Conditioner and a little EVOO....chile, let me tell you...my hair is beautiful. I love it sooooo much.

I'M ONLY DOING AYURVEDA FROM NOW ON, NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE TELL ME THAT CERTAIN PRODUCTS ARE THIS OR THAT!

I had to yell that out to myself:lachen: as a reminder....don't stray this time!

BTW: I only did this after massaging Vatika Oil on my scalp and hair all week....my hair is happy!

You and me both sis. I only want to use mainly Joico and a couple of Mizani products as commercial staples but everything else I want natural/organic only:grin::yep:. I even gave my MT to my little sister tonight - a strong indication that I am serious about this new regimen.

Prepoo'd with Shescentit's Green Tea & Avocado Oil for 2 hours, heat cap 1 hour, dc'd 1hr with Alter Ego Garlic Tx, under the steamer now for an hour. Will tea rinse with Mix #1,put on plastic cap for 30 minutes, then heat cap for 30 minutes. Cowash with Shikai everyday condish, acv rinse, leave in, moisturize, seal, and pin up to airdry.

I usually make mine in a small pot that doesn't have settings. It's usually has a kinda burnt herb/coconut smell. The Amla turns dark in the oil. Whenever I make oils at home they usually don't smell to nice. Just make sure your heat isn't up to high.

I should also add this smell don't linger after it cools down, it just smells pretty much like herbs. My concoction I made with the Vatika oil didn't nearly as bad as when I used Parachute oil. I won't be buying this kind again. :nono:

So my hair has been a little itchy and dry lately, and that doesn't please me. It's nothing major, just a nuisance. So I made a happy little tea last night with neem, tulsi, amla, water, and acv. This was to be used on my scalp ONLY, to help with the itchies. (BTW, my god that stuff stinks to high heaven!)

I applied cocasta all on my scalp last night and massaged it in well. I rinsed this morning and applied the tea using an applicator bottle to the scalp only. I let it sent for 15 minutes and rinsed thoroughly. I followed with a mix of Sitrinillah, Oyin Honey Hemp, rosewater, glycerin, and aloe vera juice to the scalp, spray leave-in condish on the strands, and then AOHC on the scalp. My scalp doesn't itch and isn't dry at all.

Ayurveda Challenge #3!
Join this great bandwagon, you will NOT regret it! The benefits are endless.

This Challenge Begins July 1st and ends December 20th
The Last Day to Sign up for this challenge is August 1

The Challenge is not quite 6 months, but close enough. I want everyone to be able to do whatever they want to their hair for Christmas and New Years, thus the dates.

The Rules:
1. No Direct Heat
2. You must use at least two Auyrvedic oils
3. You must use at least two Auyrvedic powders
4. 2 Heat Passes (I'm feeling generous)

Any takers?

*Don't forget to post your regimen and starting pics*

For those who want to join, but don't know where to start:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...d.php?t=183305

The previous challenge threads are here:
http://longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=343329
http://longhaircareforum.com/...d.php?t=310841

The previous results thread is here:
http://longhaircareforum.com/...d.php?t=343331

The current results thread is here:
http://longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=378504

Challengers:

MCrzyGr
flowinlocks
LadyD2u
Shay72
Platinum
myronnie
Ronnieaj
Aggie
Itown
cutieb2
cherepikr
venusd
HauteHairGirl
~NanceBo10~
swalker31
Cassandra1975
bign_17
hurricane
beauti
tori_mama
Zsugar
galadriel
joib
Kellum
beans4reezy
jbailey
rben
HERicane10
zora
~NanCeBoTwin~
Dee_Raven
Imoan
miss_Congeniality
guudhair
HeShotMeBangBang
simcha
gitana0801
nikki2229
LongCurlyLocks
zenith
patientlygrowing
JusMarieJolie
mtmorg
Nice&Wavy
nedney

I would like very much to join this challenge please! I have two photos in my profile. How do I post them?

I would like very much to join this challenge please! I have two photos in my profile. How do I post them?

YAY!! You're joining. I've been waiting for you!:grin: Guys, Ms_CoCo37 is new, and I told her that she should definitely join because you ladies are the BOMB and would take very good care of her, just like you have me!! Hooray!

I didnt even ask could I join, sorry, also I have pic to but not sure how to post them, I wear my hair natural/twist/buns so not any fancy pictures. One last thing, I really need to step up what I do with my hair I see all the steps some of you do w/ur hair and I tell ya I been lazy with my hair, Once a week I pre-poo,co-wash,deep condish,leave-n, and thats it, and massage my scalp every 3days w/oil.

You guys are great on this thread, its like you can feel the love and friendliness through the computer.. wowzers....goose bumps

I didnt even ask could I join, sorry, also I have pic to but not sure how to post them, I wear my hair natural/twist/buns so not any fancy pictures. One last thing, I really need to step up what I do with my hair I see all the steps some of you do w/ur hair and I tell ya I been lazy with my hair, Once a week I pre-poo,co-wash,deep condish,leave-n, and thats it, and massage my scalp every 3days w/oil.

You guys are great on this thread, its like you can feel the love and friendliness through the computer.. wowzers....goose bumps

I see your name on the list of challengers so I think you are good to go :yep:. Also if what you are doing works for you and your hair you shouldn't change anything.

Perhaps someone from Ruchita is lurking in this forum because all of a sudden you ladies are getting shipment notifications simultaneously. Wow, shame:nono:!

Okay, so I tea rinsed my scalp this morning. And was all set to wash tomorrow night, and then I realized tomorrow is my SO's only weeknight off this week, and I'll be darned if we spend the entire evening with me doing my hair!! So I did it tonight.

I prepooed for an hour with Neelibhringradi oil. I normally cowash, but my hair felt like it needed a pooing, so I diluted my Millcreek Henna Shampoo with some water and pooed with that. Followed with my Philosophy Condish as a cowash. DC'd with SitriNillah, rinsed and mixed Shescentit Avocado condish with PC as creme rinse. Applied Aphogee provitamin leave in, followed by Afroveda Moisture Milk Condish, QB BRBC, and Afroveda Sunsilk Oil. Detangled with Mason comb, applied Hairveda whipped gelly in sections. Airdrying now with my boo, going under dryer for 30 soon.

I see your name on the list of challengers so I think you are good to go :yep:. Also if what you are doing works for you and your hair you shouldn't change anything.

I am on the list really wow did not even know it.. yahoooooo. so where do I find out how to put up pics and stuff . Thanks..

Perhaps someone from Ruchita is lurking in this forum because all of a sudden you ladies are getting shipment notifications simultaneously. Wow, shame:nono:!

Odd I was wondering the same thing, and to the fact they put up a notice about the move, after I said something about it on here.. hummm, spokey

Aggie or flowinlocks, please help! I'd like to have 3 ayurvedic application options for my
3x per week hair reggie. So far i've got my herbal blend of amla, brahmi, bhringraj, and shikakai (I think thats in there ) with egg & mayo added. :) and then my henna and egg mix. I was leaning toward a fenugreek and brahmi tea for my 3rd application, what do you guys think? I've got some strained fenugreek "juice" that's been in the fridge for more than 2 months I think.

I have been reading Henna threads forever and brought Jamilla henna awhile back well decide to try it today. Tue mix henna with green tea let it sit for 8 hour, then refrigerate. Today I mix the henna with white rain energizing citrus put it on my hair for hour. It was soft and I was happy seeing this was the first trial/error mix. I did protein/DC condition hair, ayurveda tea rinse, GV leave in, seal and moistured with Vatika/shea butter.

Aggie or flowinlocks, please help! I'd like to have 3 ayurvedic application options for my
3x per week hair reggie. So far i've got my herbal blend of amla, brahmi, bhringraj, and shikakai (I think thats in there ) with egg & mayo added. :) and then my henna and egg mix. I was leaning toward a fenugreek and brahmi tea for my 3rd application, what do you guys think? I've got some strained fenugreek "juice" that's been in the fridge for more than 2 months I think.

I like the mixes so far except the addition of egg and may to the first batch. I believe that this is too much protein, especially since you will have shikakai in it. Shikakai is already quite strengthening on it's own. You may experience extreme drying issues if you leave in so much protein.

The second one is fine but again you will need to follow up with some serious moisturizing DCing or simply use just the yolk of the egg as opposed to the whole egg.

As far as the fenugreek and brahmi, that's fine as it is. I have a question though...did you add some kind of preservative/essential oil like rosemary eo to it before storing in the fridge so long. The teas don't normally last a long time whether in the fridge or not. I believe it's efficacy may diminish and/or it would go bad after 3 weeks if there are no preservatives of some sort is in it. HTH!

I like the mixes so far except the addition of egg and may to the first batch. I believe that this is too much protein, especially since you will have shikakai in it. Shikakai is already quite strengthening on it's own. You may experience extreme drying issues if you leave in so much protein. I did this mix for the first time a couple of days ago and it was WONDERFUL! I have fine hair and think its protein friendly as such. :yep: If i remember correctly, my ratio of shikakai was super low. like 3 or 4:1

The second one is fine but again you will need to follow up with some serious moisturizing DCing or simply use just the yolk of the egg as opposed to the whole egg. Just tried henna and egg this month. GREAT! I think Reshma must be an herbal blend because its very moisturizing too. :yep:

As far as the fenugreek and brahmi, that's fine as it is. I have a question though...did you add some kind of preservative/essential oil like rosemary eo to it before storing in the fridge so long. The teas don't normally last a long time whether in the fridge or not. I believe it's efficacy may diminish and/or it would go bad after 3 weeks if there are no preservatives of some sort is in it. HTH!
I don't think it did. It doesn't smell "different" or look green. How could I tell if it was bad?

Cassia and Amla/Kalpi tone mix w VO5 MM Cowash. I need to buy some more powders, because I basically have maka, brahmi, and kalor kapuchi (?) left. Has anyone tried the Amla oil from NWL yet? I keep saying I am going to buy it, but have not because of the shipping for one item.

Hiya MCrzyGr,

I just noticed . . . my name wasn't added to challenge (joined 7/3). Just wanna make sure I get credit girl since this is probably one of the few I will keep posting to. Schedule has been crazy, can barely keep my eyes open. . .

Can you add me? Thanks!!

oiled last night with amla/Vatika mix
later today, I'll do a henna gloss with my leftover henna+v05+neem+shikakai+amla powders

YAY!! You're joining. I've been waiting for you!:grin: Guys, Ms_CoCo37 is new, and I told her that she should definitely join because you ladies are the BOMB and would take very good care of her, just like you have me!! Hooray!

Thanks for pointing me this way Ronnieaj! :urock:

I need all the help I can get. Right now I'm trying to find an Indian grocery store here in Atlanta to get my goodies! I've been reading up a little on it and I want to try the diet too.:yep:

I oiled my hair with amla oil. I made a tea rinse with cassia, amla, and hibiscus and then used the powder from the tea to make a paste. I mixed the paste with V05, rinsed, and I am now DC'ing with AO HSR and coconut oil.

Thanks for pointing me this way Ronnieaj! :urock:

I need all the help I can get. Right now I'm trying to find an Indian grocery store here in Atlanta to get my goodies! I've been reading up a little on it and I want to try the diet too.:yep:
I have a link (at home), of a website where you can look up Indian grocery stores by state. I thought I got it from LHCF, but I can't remember. Anywho, I can post it when I go home for lunch.

Back