6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

Hopefully, this weekend I will be able to purchase my list of powders & oils locally and start. I am looking to purchase the following: Hesh aritha, maka, neem, shikakai, brahmi, and amla powders along with Ramtirith brahmi oil. I was able to find sesame oil at a local mediterran store here in Memphis but they did not have any of the other oil/powders.

Hopefully, this weekend I will be able to purchase my list of powders & oils locally and start. I am looking to purchase the following: Hesh aritha, maka, neem, shikakai, brahmi, and amla powders along with Ramtirith brahmi oil. I was able to find sesame oil at a local mediterran store here in Memphis but they did not have any of the other oil/powders.

There is an Indian grocer in Cordova that carries the oils and powders. I haven't been there in a few months, but they are usually well stocked.

There is an Indian grocer in Cordova that carries the oils and powders. I haven't been there in a few months, but they are usually well stocked.
Awesome....thanks so, so much for replying. By chance, is the name of the store Indian Imports? If so, that is the one I plan on going to. I sure hope that they have the powders and oil I want b/c I really do not want to order online(trying to only use/buy products locally in an attempt to save money).

The Georgia list doesn't include the store I go to:
Sai Indian Grocery
6381 Milgen Rd.
Columbus, GA 31907
Padmaja is very nice and helpful.

I have a thin watery paste of amla, shikakai, brahmi and kalpi tone powders sitting on my pre-oiled hair now and will follow up with a DC mix of Joico Color Endure, Mizani Moisturefuse Conditioners and some hot evoo. I think I will be doing a beer rinse as my final rinse today too.

Last edited:
I have a thin watery paste of amla, shikakai, brahmi and kalpi tone powders sitting on my hair now and will follow up with a DC mix of Joico Color Endure, Mizani Moisturefuse Conditioners and some hot evoo. I think I will be doing a beer rinse as my final rinse today too.
How much of each powder did you use? Or do you pre-mix all your powders? I'm trying to shore up my measurements...I always find myself either mixing too much or too little.

How much of each powder did you use? Or do you pre-mix all your powders? I'm trying to shore up my measurements...I always find myself either mixing too much or too little.

I used:

2 Tbs Kalpi Tone
1 Tbs brahmi
1.5 Tbs amla and
1/2 teasp of shikakai

I added about 3.5 - 4 cups of water to itogether and let it sit for an hour to steep.

The Cordova store is excellent! THey even agreed to ship to me in MS. :yep: I know when I went, they had just gotten a shipment of mahabhringraj oil in that Tee had requested. :yep:

Hiya MCrzyGr,

I just noticed . . . my name wasn't added to challenge (joined 7/3). Just wanna make sure I get credit girl since this is probably one of the few I will keep posting to. Schedule has been crazy, can barely keep my eyes open. . .

Can you add me? Thanks!!

Sorry I thought I had you. You're on there now, sorry!

I used:

2 Tbs Kalpi Tone
1 Tbs brahmi
1.5 Tbs amla and
1/2 teasp of shikakai

I added about 3.5 - 4 cups of water to itogether and let it sit for an hour to steep.
OK, so yours was not a thick paste. I think I need to add more water to mine to stretch it out some. I also wasn't letting it sit, so I may try that. Thanks! I have all those powders...last time I used shikakai, brahmi and amla.I just ordered the Kalpi Tone for the first time, so I'm gonna have to snag this recipe. :)

I used:

2 Tbs Kalpi Tone
1 Tbs brahmi
1.5 Tbs amla and
1/2 teasp of shikakai

OOh going to try this once my order comes in, Keep the good recipes coming girl..lol

Awesome....thanks so, so much for replying. By chance, is the name of the store Indian Imports? If so, that is the one I plan on going to. I sure hope that they have the powders and oil I want b/c I really do not want to order online(trying to only use/buy products locally in an attempt to save money).

It is India Bazaar on Fischer Steele Road. I have never tried Indian imports.

OK, so yours was not a thick paste. I think I need to add more water to mine to stretch it out some. I also wasn't letting it sit, so I may try that. Thanks! I have all those powders...last time I used shikakai, brahmi and amla.I just ordered the Kalpi Tone for the first time, so I'm gonna have to snag this recipe. :)

Go for it sweetie:grin:. It really added some strength to my hair. I attribute that to the kalpi tone and shikakai powders for sure.

OOh going to try this once my order comes in, Keep the good recipes coming girl..lol

Let me know how you like it Imoan. I may take out the shikakai powder and add bhringraj or hibiscus petal powder next time for a more moisturizing rinse. I will update on what I will be using next. I have a few recipes I want to try and I'll list them here as I use them:yep:.

Got my shipping notice from Ruchita, yahooo

That's good, I actually received my products today along with a note apologizing for the delay. She also gave me a larger size of the oil I ordered. Although I didn't like that I was told about the move after I waited at least 10 days without a shipping notice. I do appreciate her fixing the problem, but I did suggest that she post any expected delays in advance to avoid negative feedback and to keep her customers happy.

does anyone know where I can get Kapoor Kachli? I saw it reviewed on YT and I want to try it.

Last night I did a tea rinse with shikakai, amla, and hibiscus and let it sit for about 2 hours. Then I cowashed.

i haven't posted for a while... sowwie.

i have been applying vatika twice a day and cowashing. My crown is a bit sore. So y-day, i applied a neem paste on my scalp and left it in for 40 mins. Rinsed and DC'd with my brahmla mix.

i henna & DC tomorrow.

I'm dcing with ORS, AM, TJ Nourish spa, Suave Humectant, Bhrami, Bhringraj, and Hibiscus. This is my first time trying the Hibiscus, Aggie raves about it and I can see why. I think my hair is gonna turn out really soft.

That's good, I actually received my products today along with a note apologizing for the delay. She also gave me a larger size of the oil I ordered. Although I didn't like that I was told about the move after I waited at least 10 days without a shipping notice. I do appreciate her fixing the problem, but I did suggest that she post any expected delays in advance to avoid negative feedback and to keep her customers happy.
Would you order from her again? I don't want to risk it but I really want some powders which are harder to find

I have a link (at home), of a website where you can look up Indian grocery stores by state. I thought I got it from LHCF, but I can't remember. Anywho, I can post it when I go home for lunch.

Cassandra that would be great!!! I printed out a few threads to see what I need to get, there was a lot of info. I'm not sure about where to begin.

I will make it my goal to find a store and maybe the store clerk can help me find what I need.

Would you order from her again? I don't want to risk it but I really want some powders which are harder to find

I have mixed feelings about this, On one hand some of the members have had a few issues with this vendor. To my knowledge they have all been resolved. Usually after posting in here or filing a dispute. However there have also been members who have reported fast service and they are satisfied with their products. Plus she offers a discount to LHCF members. Although I couldn't get this to work for me.:ohwell: So to answer your question, it would be a maybe. If I continued to see good reviews I might be tempted to order again. My products did ship fast after I received my notice and I was overall satisfied with my order. I suggest paying with paypal with any vendor just as a back up.

That's right! That's how I found my stores.

Here's the general link:

http://www.thokalath.com/

And here's the one for Georgia:

http://www.thokalath.com/georgia/grocery_stores.php

Cassandra that would be great!!! I printed out a few threads to see what I need to get, there was a lot of info. I'm not sure about where to begin.

I will make it my goal to find a store and maybe the store clerk can help me find what I need.
I posted it above for ya....Ronnieaj posted it yesterday. :) This is the same link I was going to post.

Yesterday I followed wash #2 of my regimen, airdryed and then did a dry wrap. Pics and elaboration on my blog.

Hey ladies, do you think it would be alright to add alma powder to my conditioner and water braid spray? I want to start using the powders at a greater frequency. I dont feel like I am using them often enough.

Hey ladies, do you think it would be alright to add alma powder to my conditioner and water braid spray? I want to start using the powders at a greater frequency. I dont feel like I am using them often enough.

Definitely, many people here use the powders in conditioners and daily spritzes. Longhairdontcare has a good tutorial on adding the powders to conditioner and we usually infuse the water with powders for a spray.

Go for it sweetie:grin:. It really added some strength to my hair. I attribute that to the kalpi tone and shikakai powders for sure.

I did order a box of Kalpi tone since it will be my first time trying it, so do you use more of the kalpi tone than the other powders? If kalpi tone has everything in it why use other powders?, how often can you use Kalpi tone? Sorry for all the ?? still learning about Kalpi Tone:yep:

Back