4a/B Natchal Heads That Flexirod, Riddle Me This

Je Ne Sais Quoi

For 4a/b natchals that have had successful flexirod sets riddle me this. What products are you using (creams, leave ins, etc) before placing the rod. Also, what color rods are you using and approximately how many? Lastly, does anyone NOT use heat to dry their set??

I did my first flexirod set last night and let it dry overnight. It was still a little damp so used my blowdryer to get it all dry. Some parts of my hair came out really nice and curly, but then other parts were poofy and barely had any curl. Don't know how that happened. :wallbash: I used the red flexirods.

Hi Bre!

Your hair did not dry evenly, that's why some areas did not set. If you don't want to be underneath a dryer for a long time, dry it for at least the first 20-30 minutes and then finish airdrying. Also, you were probably inconsistent in your wrapping method.

Hi Bre!

Your hair did not dry evenly, that's why some areas did not set. If you don't want to be underneath a dryer for a long time, dry it for at least the first 20-30 minutes and then finish airdrying. Also, you were probably inconsistent in your wrapping method.

You are absolutely right. Unfortunately I don't have a dryer so have to dry overnight. I dried last time by running my handheld over my head :rolleyes: I was desperate. I am sure you are right too about the wrapping methods.

Balisi, are there any creams you would recommend to use when doing these kind of sets?

I used my leave in conditioner with fantasia gel. Don't use too much though. Then I used the white and peach rods because that was what I had at home. They were the same ones I used on my relaxed hair. I used old school cold wave rods though. Not flexi rods. I slept on mines overnight. I tried to sit under the dryer but I have the attention span of a goldfish so that didn't work too well. :rolleyes: Let me see if I can find you a picture Bre...

Last edited:
I used my leave in conditioner with fantasia gel. Don't use too much though. Then I used the peach and orange rods because that was what I had at home.

Thats a good idea:yep: hmmm, maybe i will try again tonight. Practice makes perfect and I wanted to wear my hair like this for Christmas instead of straightening. Do you have any pics of your finished results in your fotki?

Thats a good idea:yep: hmmm, maybe i will try again tonight. Practice makes perfect and I wanted to wear my hair like this for Christmas instead of straightening. Do you have any pics of your finished results in your fotki?

Nah these pictures were from over the summer before I started the new fotki. I never put them in there. They're on this comp though so I'll just go add them real quick to the roller set album. It didn't turn out as smooth as I would have liked but it was a big improvement from the first time I tried.

Last edited:
Nah these pictures were from over the summer before I started the new fotki. I never put them in there. They're on this comp though so I'll just go add them real quick to the roller set album. It didn't turn out as smooth as I would have liked but it was a big improvement from the first time I tried.

Awww, you are the bestest. Im gonna hit the showers and cowash and then checkback before i start rodding again.

Fotki's being dumb and won't let me upload right now so here's a few pictures. I separated the curls after I took the rollers out. I should have taken a picture before I did that but I forgot. Some parts didn't dry and smooth as others but it turned out okay. I ended up pulling in back with two flat twists. The trick is to make sure you get your hair smooth on the roller. And don't take them out until it's completely dry. Also don't use a lot of product because it'll take longer for your hair to dry.

While Rolling
CIMG2030.jpg

All the hair rolled up
CIMG2031.jpg

After drying
CIMG2035.jpg

I don't use anything. I just make sure that I keep a spray bottle of water around so my hair can be soaking wet as a roll. I use orange perm rods and take really small sections and wrap them spiral. My hair is really damaged from too much heat, so my ends get straight easily. Here is the pic again...lol. Thanks for the comment in the other thread!! I air dry most of the time, but if I am rushing, I will sit under the dryer.

Picture 004.jpg

Last edited:
Fotki's being dumb and won't let me upload right now so here's a few pictures. I separated the curls after I took the rollers out. I should have taken a picture before I did that but I forgot. Some parts didn't dry and smooth as others but it turned out okay. I ended up pulling in back with two flat twists. The trick is to make sure you get your hair smooth on the roller. And don't take them out until it's completely dry. Also don't use a lot of product because it'll take longer for your hair to dry.

While Rolling
CIMG2030.jpg

All the hair rolled up
CIMG2031.jpg

After drying
CIMG2035.jpg

So you are using actual perm rods. I wonder if I would have more success with those.....hmmmm. I like the definition that you got. You prolly didn't even need to put those flat twists in.Just fluff it up a bit and maybe throw a scarf on on the top. I will be brave and post a pic in this thread tomorrow with my results. Thanks for your input

I don't use anything. I just make sure that I keep a spray bottle of water around so my hair can be soaking wet as a roll. I use orange perm rods and take really small sections and wrap them spiral. My hair is really damaged from too much heat, so my ends get straight easily. Here is the pic again...lol. Thanks for the comment in the other thread!! I air dry most of the time, but if I am rushing, I will sit under the dryer.

View attachment 7895

Are you a natchal 4a/b?? What is your length? How many rods do you use? Your hair looks great here. I can't wait to get some more length!!

I got my hair done in the salon. She used curly pudding for the setting lotion and orange, blue and red rods. I sat under the dryer for 2.5 hours. Pics in my album. HTH!

I got my hair done in the salon. She used curly pudding for the setting lotion and orange, blue and red rods. I sat under the dryer for 2.5 hours. Pics in my album. HTH!

Your hair ROCKS!!!! But i cannot do the 2.5 hours- How did you get the smooth hairdo in your FOTKI.?

Back