365-day challenge

Lucia

Is anyone keeping up with this? if so let us know how far you are in the plan timewise and how much progress you have made?
hth

I'm not but this sounds like a good idea. What exactly do I have to do?

Hi Lucia,

When did this challenge start? I think it was before I joined the board. Is it too late for me to join?
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Some people were doing this on the old boards, but I think it's a good idea. How about starting TODAY. I guess documenting progress, first where we are to start with then every 2 months(so it's not self defeating or obssesive) with measurments or landmarks (ex: 2" below BS or 3" from waist), and sharing what we are doing that works for us. All are welcome to post no matter what point your at in terms of hair goals or where your starting, so even new members who come in the middle can satrt just then.
tell me what you think.

Here goes I had a slight set-back(1.5-2") cut that placed me back where I was this summer at Top of Bra-strap in Nov. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I have been really paying attention to moisturizing my hair esp. since it's braided w/ weave.
I have upped my biotin to 5000mcg and I got 1" of new growth and the month isn't over yet I'm hoping for 1.5-2". I will take the braids out in Jan and post again. My first goal is to reach below BS then waist/tailbone.
Here's my regime:
From nape of neck (straightened): ??/one-lengthBS/waist/ult goal:tailbone/classic (pics)

Type: Natural 3c very thick spongy ringlets

Vit.Regime:
Day 1: HF 37 1 stp 1, 2-4 stp 2,vivscal,biotin 600mcg, vit C, folic acid, liq geritol complete, liq B12
Day 2: Shou wu, biotin 600mcg, flax seed oil caps, viviscal, vit C, liq geritol, liq B12
Day 3: Vit C,E, calcium, liq geritol, liq B12, algae caps, vivscal
Day 4: Nothing, lots of water like vitamin days then start over, vit A & D once a week only, msm 2-3 times a week.
Wanakee method
Shamp.cond: Biolage Matrix moisturizing shampoo and detangling solution alt w/ Aubrey Organics Blue-Green Algae line.
Aphogee (stinky) protein reconstructor (hair dryer), and balancing moisturizer
Lamaur Bone Marrow Conditioner, Aphogee 2 min reconstructor, cholesterol altogether 20-30mins under heat cap
Infusium 23 leave-in
Oils: Wild growth hair oil diluted with Dabur/Amla oil, Mustard oil, Red Castor oil,Almond oil, coconut oil, primrose (3drops), liquid B-12 /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Excellent idea! If we could start today that would be great. I'll post my whole regime as soon as I get home tonight. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

lol! i've been doing the 365 day challenge for 914 days. /images/graemlins/grin.gif i started on 6/5/00. it really starts when you make a personal commitment to consistently do what you need to to grow your hair longer. so you've basically been doing it anyway, but now you can put a specific start date on it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

Hey, here's my regimen until my next relaxer which is scheduled for Jan. 16th.

Products
Shampoo - Elucence Moisturizing Shampoo
Protein Treatment - Motions CPR
Moisturizing Conditioner - Mizani Moisturfuse/Elucence Moisturizing Conditioner
Leave-In Conditioner for roller set - Arosci Leave In/Professional Rx.
Daily Hair Dress - Elasta QP Mango Butter, Ultra Black Hair Dew, Arosci or Elucence Shine.

Routine
1) Wash hair as required (generally every 5 days, 7th day the latest)
2) Condition hair with CPR for 25 minutes under hood dryer.
3) Follow with Moisturfuse or Elucence for 10 minutes, no heat.
4) Rinse and spray Arosci Leave in
5) Roller Set hair and sit under dryer for 30 minutes.
6) Wrap hair
7) Daily Maintenance, spray Ultra Black Hair Dew every night for moisture, add a little Elasta QP Mango Butter to ends and wrap.
8) Morning, undo wrap spray hair with Elucence or Arosci Shine Defining Spray.
9) Wear hair down 3 days, 2 days wear drawstring ponytail tail. Weekends, play with wigs to add diversity to style.

NO HEAT (except hood dryer). Use wide tooth comb for comb through. Use paddle brush to smooth hair when wrapping. NO VITAMINS (I experienced constipation, stomach cramps and too much scalp itching)

Hair currently 20.5" from hairline to ends.

Well I am just keeping braids in my hair for a year then. Can I do that or do I need to actually list a regimen and products? I want my start date to be January 1st so I remember. I guess these last two months in braids were just practice. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey Thats sounds like a great idea. I too am interested in this hair challenge.

My hair goal is to have beautiful shiny, soft and manageable hair by starting to take better care of my hair.

Here are my goals for this time next year:
chin length/1 inch to bra strap/1 inche from waist(even hair)

Re: HoneyRockette

No I mean braids as a style!!! I will redo them every two to three months or so. Who would leave the same braid style in for a year? They would look a mess before your hair even begins to lock.

Re: HoneyRockette

ok start date (my next scheduled wash day 12/8/02

regimen set to stay the same for at least 3 months... so far so good, i've been doing this for 2 weeks
Breaktrhu shampoo (i can't believe this stuff is as good as it is!!) lather 2x
ORS hair mayo 15mins-1hr w/ heat rinse and apply
Motions detangling spray let sit for 3 mins
then comb out and add WGO oil asneeded to seal in moisture and add shine
twist out or roller set

That's a good idea and I can always benefit from a good challenge. This should keep us all on our toes to achieve the length we want and to really care for our hair without a bunch of set backs.

I'm going to start today 12-6-02. I'm not even concerned with length too much anymore, but being back at bra strap will be my first goal. I will also wear more protective styles and only wash every two weeks because it's working better. I'm concerned with growing even hair that is healthy without a bunch of split ends.

Adrienne thanks for the info, I didn't realize I was already doing the challenge, so I guess technically it's May 2001. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I want to join...I'm going to need the encouragement & support to successfully make it through this first winter.

Began healthy hair regime Sept 1, 2002

Current status --> relaxed, horizontal bra strap-top, healthy
Ultimate goal ----> top of tail bone, healthy

CURRENT PRODUCTS

Motions Lavish (shampoo & conditioner)
Motions CPR (shampoo & conditioner)
Motions Leave-In Conditioner
African Royale Hot Six Oil (daily on ends)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (hot oil treatment)
Miss Cool 5 Min Setting Lotion
Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair (not used yet)
Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer (not used yet)

METHODS TO TRY / PRODUCTS TO BUY

Creme Of Nature Shampoo
Clarifying Shampoo
Adrienne's activator method
Suave coconut for conditioner washes
Wild Growth Oil
Vitamins (I took 2 Ultranourishair...scared of pill size!)

REGIME IN ORDER

*Hot oil treatement 30min w/extra virgin olive oil
*Wash w/Motions (Moisture Plus or CPR)
*Deep Condition 30min w/Motions (Moisture Plus or CPR)
*Roller set with magnetic rollers w/Motions leave in conditioner, Hot six oil, Miss Cool set lotion. (Miss Cool has now been discontinued. I have received a beautiful set without it).
*Use hooded dryer on medium
*Lightly oil entire head w/Hot six oil

I NEED TO STAY MOTIVATED TO:

-wash/condition wkly (I'll get lazy & 8 days will pass)
-start conditioner washes wkly
-use hooded dryer on warm (tempted to use hot to speed up drying time)
-wear braid outs (to allow hair to air dry) every other wash
-deep condition w/hooded dryer

I'd be down for this. I've sort of done them before, but I never seemed to be able to stay on a board for the whole 365 days due to them shutting down or something.

I wonder if it would be an idea to maybe ask beverly or SVT if they could create a board specifically for the 365 challenge.

I'd like to join this because I really would like to be disciplined about my growth and measuring... But Like LondonD. I am skeptical because the last two times I tried this the board shut down and I was devastated...

Oh no....I didn't think about the down side, such as the board shutting down, etc. This is my first time entering a challenge, and I too would be devastated if I didn't have my hair family supporting me. Ok, now I'm panicking /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.
Maybe we should have a "back up" plan in place just in case something aweful was to happen to this board. This way we can have a way to "find eachother" on the net. Because when you don't have that consistent love & support, set backs are doomed to happen. Am I reading too much into this & going off into left field somewhere? I just don't want to lose you guys (sniff, sniff)....ok, so I'm a big baby /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Oh no....I didn't think about the down side, such as the board shutting down, etc. This is my first time entering a challenge, and I too would be devastated if I didn't have my hair family supporting me. Ok, now I'm panicking .

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh No! The devil is a LIAR!!!! Even if this board goes down again, it will come back up, in the name of JESUS!!!!! (Peachtree, I stole your line there girl!) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pebbles STOP IT!!! your killin me.

Just so beverly or SVT misinterpret what I meant by another board I just mean another section on this site like the OT board or the Health &amp; Fitness section where it can be solely dedicated to talks and discussions/problems etc with the challenge.

Hopefully this board can remain up for a long time unlike the other one where it ran into problems and became too costly as newer members were joining. I'm sure Beverly has this sorted now anyways. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Has it started now or are we going to wait for some kind of feedback from the moderators before starting and listing our regimens etc and getting into the seing of it. I'm totally game. This board is enough to keep me on track but the instalment of a challenge will definitely make me more determined.

As the whole keeping in touch thingy, I say we list e-mail addresses and take them down and ONLY use them if the board runs into difficulty or something as a way of getting in touch with one another.

You guys can keep mine for future reference but none of those forward e-mails please. in your e-mail account you should have the facility to create a group of e-mail address, with this you can list all the hair board ladies.

[email protected]

I would like to join the 365 day challenge. I also need to be focussed. I have been natural since February 2002, from hairline to hair ends my hair measures 10 inches.

My routine
Rinse daily with a teaspoon of conditoner, dissolved in a bottle of spring water, leave on for entire shower period.
Then rinse with mixture of bottled water, glycerine, rosewater water, Infusium 23 leave-in lotion, one teaspoon of powdered MSM, one tablet of Pantothenic acid, sometimes add 1/2 lemon squeezed.
Time permitting, sometimes make up a herbal rinse indeed, using Rosemary, horsetail and Nettle, with the same of the above ingredients added.
Shampoo weekly, using Redken anti-chlorine shampoo and again using another shampoos for dry, damaged or colour hair.
Use a hot oil treatment, mixture of oils, castor oil, wild growth oil, extra virgin olive oil.
Then using steam condition my hair with a mixture of ORS Hair mayonaise and hennax wax treatment.
I comb my hair every two days to a week, depending on the style with a hair conditioner, mixed with castor oil, aloe vera gel, wild growth oil, shea butter and Palmers Hair success.
Every morning or every evening apply to my roots, wild growth, mixed with castor oil.
Spring on my hair about 1-3 times, a rinse mixed with Aloe vera gel, glycerine, rosewater, powdered MSM and one tablet of Pantothenic acid, also use this rinse spray on my hair before combing.

Supplements
HF 37 Step 1 and 2 taken daily
Biotin 5mg
Pantothenic acid 600 mg
Vitamin E 400 IU (taken 2 daily)
Flaxseed oil 1000 mg (2-3)times daily
MSM 1000mg (taken 2-3)times daily
Women's Well mulivitamin
Evening Primrose oil (1000 mg)
Cod-liver oil 2 teaspoons daily
Things to try
Long and Strong leave in available from Belgovia Scents in Hampshire, UK
The salon ranges, Nexus and L'anza
also getting JF Lazartigue, Precondition, conditioner, shampoo and silk protein leave-in condition.

To increase my metabolic rate, I exercise four times a week, (including swimming every week). Try to increase my exercise regime to 6 times a week, to include more quick walking, jogging and use of weights.

Diet
Try to eat salad, at least twice a day, also trying to drink, up to 1 litre of water and started taking hot water with lemon, 2-3 times daily.
My e-mail is [email protected]

I'm game. I will also offically start on January 1, 2003. Just so I have a time when I will be able to say I started. I'm going to buy myself a digital camera or a computer cam for christams so I can take pictures to measure my progress.

Here is my product list and regime for the next six months:

<ul type="square"> [*]Shampoo: Lanza Protein Plus with every wash; Lanza Clarifying Shampoo or Fantasia Pure Tea Shampoo every 2 or three weeks to clarify.
[*]Protein Conditioners: Every two weeks: Dudley's Hair Rebuilder, HI PRO PAC.
[*] Moisturizing Conditioners: Motions Moisture Plus, Pantene DMR, Feria Color Mositurizing Treatment and other things I have in my closet to finish ( a rack of Dominican Conditioners, some Herbal Essences Products and some other stragglers).
[*]Leave In: Alternate between Motions Nourishing Leave In and Fantasia Leave In.
[*]Preshampoos with whatever oils I have (Olive, Rosemary, E, Jojoba, Monoi) until I finish enough products and more fit into my budget - then I will purchase some Potion 7 by Sebastian - I love this stuff. I'll mix it with Olive Oil.
[*]Rollerset weekly on my own - work 20 dollars a week into my budget to go to the salon and a get a steam treatment and a rollerset for a total of twice weekly washing.
[*]Moisturize every day or every other day as needed with a mix of Dudley's PCA Moisture Retainer and a shine balm.
[*]Relax (a decision has been made /images/graemlins/grin.gif ) with Elucence Gentle Lye Realxer until I find a reason to swtich. I want to begin using the same relaxer faithfully. This has been a struggle for me.
[*]Comb and Brush carefully with a wide tooth comb or a paddle brush.
[*]Wear hair up 4 times a week. Wear it down only the day after a wash.
[*]Allow Mom to keep trimming for the rest of the year - get a really good trim next summer with a stylist I trust and who does banging trims...
[*]Apply a rinse every 6 weeks. Once between relaxers and then again with a relaxer touch up.... color TBD. /images/graemlins/wink.gif
[*]Post a new pic on picture trail every relaxer touch up to track progress visually.
[*]Vitamins: Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, A Hair Vitamin (GNC or Vitol - I rotate), Complete EFA Formula, Silica, and a Multi. My special dosages daily. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
[/list]

If this year is any indication of how I'll do I'm pretty excited. I went from chin length to between the tops of my shoulder blades this year which is a lot of growth for me! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I hope to get the same amount by this time next year.

Well I might as well jump on into the challenge! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My current length is juuuust hitting the top of my shoulders.
My Goal is similar to Lucia's, to get 1" of growth a month and I think I'm getting closer. My longterm goal is to get just below brastrap.

The supplements I take are listed in my signature but I'm also taking Flaxseed Oil 1000mg and Evening Primrose 500mg daily.

My maintenance routine is pretty basic:
Currently wearing do-it-yourself braids (based on Crown and Glory).
Wildgrowth oil on my hairline each night.
1-2 minute scalp massage each night.
Spray braids with S-Curl Activitor each night.
Alternate between rubbing a little African Pride Hot Six Oil and Better Braids Hair and Scalp Oil on my braids and scalp each morning.

Once a week I do the following:
1- A Glovers treatment for at least an hour
2- Wash with Keracare Moisturizing Detangling Shampoo.
3- Deep Condition with Queen Helene Cholesterol or Fantasia IC Moisturizing Deep Conditioner. When I take my braids out I will be trying Mizani Moisturefuse which I acquired recently. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif
4- Thorough rinsing.
5- Spray with Fantasia IC Hair Strengthener.
6- Spray with Fantasic IC Leave Conditioner.

Starting this week I will add an additional Rinsing/Conditioner Wash per week.

My email is [email protected]

I'd love to join the challenge.

I actually started my healthy hair regimen in August after wearing braids all summer and I really haven't come up with a satisfactory way of measuring my growth except by eye. Looking at my hair, it's obvious I've gained some growth since August but I don't know exactly how much (plus I get regular trims - I'm obsessed with healthy ends).

My weekly regimen so far:

Pre-shampoo hot oil treatment with Wonder 8 oil or regular olive oil (or a mixture of both)
Shampoo: lather once with Motions Lavish Conditioning shampoo and once with Breakthru Fortifying Moisturizing shampoo
Deep condition with a mixture of IC Deep Penetrating Conditioner and ORS Hair Mayonnaise
Instant conditioner: Nexxus Humectress, Suave Tropical Coconut or Tresomme' Hydrology

Doobie wrap with Infusium 23 Leave-in, Wonder-Gro Shea Butter Moisturizing Oil &amp; At One With Nature wrapping foam.

At some point in between touch-ups (every 8 weeks with Mizani), I experience some breakage right at the new growth line so I use Keragenics Protein Pac, making sure I concentrate on the point of breakage.

Sometimes I roll my hair at night to wear it curly or wrap it if I want it straight. Lately I've been using a drawstring ponytail or a clip-on bun as protective styles. I also like to do two cornrolls going to the back of my head with some synthetic hair for length. Simpler is always better for me so I like styles I can just tie down at night and get up and go. However, I'm styling it, I always try to add some Infusium 23 and either Wonder-Gro oil or ORS Nature's Shine oil (I also love braid oils).

I'll be going back to braid extensions in a few months. Right now I'm enjoying my newly healthy, longer hair too much to keep it in braids even though I know I should! /images/graemlins/grin.gif My hair is now about as long as it was when I was a little girl and I can't wait to see how much longer it will grow. If I reach my goal of bra strap length, it'll be both a blessing and a curse cause I am gonna one dangerous 41-year old, long-haired woman!!

Back