2012 Relaxed Hair Buddy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
KiWiStyle

I don't know about 16 weeks.. I feel like 12 will be enough for me. I'm getting better at detangling nowadays so maybe I could try.. just that by week 10 that creamy crack starts calllinnn... :lol:

How do you like black tea rinses? I have been using Claudie's tea spritz and love how light and moisturizing it is, gives a lot of luster too. It seems to strengthen my hair when used regularly.

I have yet to flat iron my hair since I've started relaxing again. In fact I never flat ironed while natural either so I haven't used a flat iron in 7+ years.. I have a Jibere root iron but I never want to take the time to experiment with it... maybe it would help me stretch more.

baddison Yeeesssss to the juice :lol:. This heat and humidity has been great for S-curl and my hair. My NG has been soft and moisturized. The only thing I noticed is that I have to balance out regular S-curl usage with some protein or my ends start to get weak.

Braidouts and twistouts can cause tangled ends, especially if you're like me and will work the same style for a few days without redoing it, but I counter this by finger detangling with a creamy leave-in (when Im' not feeling lazy :look:).

Hi lady, the stretch is going well. I would love to see pics of your "lions mane". When are you relaxing again?

I'm using Shescentit Moisture Mist on my ng. I'm really enjoying my new products from Claudie's, Darcy Botanicals, and Shescentit.:lick::yep:

xu93texas Yes, I have been slacking on the pics :nono:. I'm so bad at picture taking in general, my Facebook albums are dismal lol. I need to get it together though, I'm having some of the best hair of my life.

What do you have from Claudie's? I'm loving her products.. the only thing she could do better on is the scents. That's why I'm curious about Shescentit.. I need some smell good hair stuff.

@xu93texas,
I love the strong faith! I can't wait to see how your appointment goes, MN is the truth! Talk about graying hair, I'm going to do a cassia application after I relax in August. I prefer it over the henna because I don't do colors...although the cassia colors gray hair to a wheat color.

My relaxer day is August 2nd, 16 weeks post exactly!

KiWiStyle,
I hope I'm satisfied with my hair tomorrow. I really haven't been feeling my own hair at all this stretch. :nono::nono: It's one of the reasons why I want to stretch longer. It doesn't feel as thick as it used to. IDK, maybe I'm overthinking things.:perplexed

I haven't done much research on cassia. Let me know how it goes once you do it.

@xu93texas Yes, I have been slacking on the pics :nono:. I'm so bad at picture taking in general, my Facebook albums are dismal lol. I need to get it together though, I'm having some of the best hair of my life.

What do you have from Claudie's? I'm loving her products.. the only thing she could do better on is the scents. That's why I'm curious about Shescentit.. I need some smell good hair stuff.

I'm glad you're enjoying your hair.:grin:

I have Claudie's braid spray and Balancing Ends Insurance. So far so good. Shescentit products smell good. I like both product lines.

divachyk and Nix08 I going to go ahead and braid my hair up for a couple of weeks. With my running schedule I can't seem to fit a relaxer in without running the risk of burning the mess out of my scalp. I'm going to braid it up tomorrow. Will be back with pics in the braid thread I created when I finish

i am going for 8-10 weeks again. i am not going to stretch beyond that. it just doesn't make sense for me. going too long would cause too much stress and breakage.
shortdub78 what shampoo do you use? I struggle with protein (as you know) and sulfate shampoos. My hair tangles badly on sulfate shampoo days. I'm not against sulfates if I can find the perfect shampoo. I ask you because you're protein sensitive like me.

shortdub78 what shampoo do you use? I struggle with protein (as you know) and sulfate shampoos. My hair tangles badly on sulfate shampoo days. I'm not against sulfates if I can find the perfect shampoo. I ask you because you're protein sensitive like me.

CON Argan Oil Shampoo
Keracare Hydrating Shampoo and 1st lather

all three are sulfate free and and provide some type of slip. i do use Suave Almond and Shea Butter, but i follow with the CON, or i use the CON twice. i haven't had to clarify in awhile since i lather twice and i focus on my scalp only. i don't even touch the length of my hair anymore.

i hope this helps. i am still on a quest for a good dc. i use Keracare anti itchy. i don't have a itchy dry scalp or anything, but this conditioner doesn't have any protein in it and it is a dc.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back...I just undo the twists and let it do what it do. I pull it apart with my fingers and let it fly.

shortdub78 said:
CON Argan Oil Shampoo
Keracare Hydrating Shampoo and 1st lather

all three are sulfate free and and provide some type of slip. i do use Suave Almond and Shea Butter, but i follow with the CON, or i use the CON twice. i haven't had to clarify in awhile since i lather twice and i focus on my scalp only. i don't even touch the length of my hair anymore.

i hope this helps. i am still on a quest for a good dc. i use Keracare anti itchy. i don't have a itchy dry scalp or anything, but this conditioner doesn't have any protein in it and it is a dc.

shortdub78 I use CON Argan also. My DCners vary but I like AOWC and Kenra Moisturizing. I rotate shampoos but plan to stick with CON going forward. What clarifier are you using? I use Kenra clarifying.

shortdub78 I use CON Argan also. My DCners vary but I like AOWC and Kenra Moisturizing. I rotate shampoos but plan to stick with CON going forward. What clarifier are you using? I use Kenra clarifying.

i like Mizani Butter Blends Chelating shampoo and Keracare 1st lather.

how does the AOWC smell? i think i used it before and it smelled like funky dandelions! :lol: the smell was so strong, my ex-husband told me to throw it away! but it felt really nice and conditioned well. i used it about 4 or 5 years ago.

divachyk said:

divachyk,
How do you like the Kenra Clarify Shampoo? I just bought it yesterday and plan to clarify today. I had been using the Frederic Fakkai brand but it was way to drying.

KiWiStyle,

My appointment went OK. My hair feels so good and it looks like I just got a relaxer. :lol: I'm excited to see if I can get another 1 inch or so in the next 7 weeks.

Attachments

• photo (35).JPG
    photo (35).JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 32
xu93texas said:
KiWiStyle,

My appointment went OK. My hair feels so good and it looks like I just got a relaxer. :lol: I'm excited to see if I can get another 1 inch or so in the next 7 weeks.

xu93texas,

GURL!! Your hair looks AMAZING!! You're SL already! You make me want to get my hair blow dried and flat ironed, WOW! Keep doing what you're doing and you will get 1" and then some!

i like Mizani Butter Blends Chelating shampoo and Keracare 1st lather.

how does the AOWC smell? i think i used it before and it smelled like funky dandelions! :lol: the smell was so strong, my ex-husband told me to throw it away! but it felt really nice and conditioned well. i used it about 4 or 5 years ago.
shortdub78, mmm I don't know how to explain it. It's not funky to me. I can put it on dry hair and it will soak right on in. I have even applied some and gone to work and no one has commented. Dh will let me know if it smells and he hasn't said anything so I take it smells ok. It works great.

divachyk,
How do you like the Kenra Clarify Shampoo? I just bought it yesterday and plan to clarify today. I had been using the Frederic Fakkai brand but it was way to drying.

KiWiStyle, I like it. I use it 1x and then follow with a moisturizing shampoo. Using it 2x is a bit stripping. I haven't been using it for long. I'm still on the hunt for that perfect clarifier. Sulfates tangle my hair. Kenra doesn't seem to do this but I'm extra cautious when using it. I will be trying some natural clarifiers to see if my hair prefers those.

xu93texas said:
Thanks chica! Yes, I think you should go and treat yourself to a salon visit. :lol:

xu93texas,

Nah, I think I'll put my new BaByliss Pro flat iron to good use and try it myself for the June 30th challengers length checks. It'll be back in my protective style the very next day so I'll just save myself the money.

KiWiStyle, I like it. I use it 1x and then follow with a moisturizing shampoo. Using it 2x is a bit stripping. I haven't been using it for long. I'm still on the hunt for that perfect clarifier. Sulfates tangle my hair. Kenra doesn't seem to do this but I'm extra cautious when using it. I will be trying some natural clarifiers to see if my hair prefers those.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll follow it up with my moisturizing shampoo.

@xu93texas,

Nah, I think I'll put my new BaByliss Pro flat iron to good use and try it myself for the June 30th challengers length checks. It'll be back in my protective style the very next day so I'll just save myself the money.

I hear ya about saving the money.

I'm going to use that photo for all of my 6/30 length checks. No more heat until the end of next month.

Hello Ladies,
I have been toying with the idea that my natural hair texture is not nearly as kinky as I remember...it's been a long, long time since I've seen it. My fav low-manipulation style is a 2-strand twist out. I'm having a problem with my styling products. Just about anything works on freshly relaxed hair but I'm stretching for the first time in my life and I am now at the beginning of week 11. I'm not getting enough slip on my natural hair with what I'm using--PM styling foam. Any suggestions for styling products to try would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOT
Cattypus1 I'm at 14 weeks post as of yesterday. Going for 24 weeks. My longest stretch ever. My goal is thickness. As far as products I'm using a lot of EO's and leave in conditioners before my braidouts. How are you wearing your hair?

Two-strand twist out. Been struggling with my styling products because I like my hair soft, not sticky or stiff or greasy. It's been a fight to the finish since Dove changed their mousse.

Raspberry said:
KiWiStyle

I don't know about 16 weeks.. I feel like 12 will be enough for me. I'm getting better at detangling nowadays so maybe I could try.. just that by week 10 that creamy crack starts calllinnn... :lol:

How do you like black tea rinses? I have been using Claudie's tea spritz and love how light and moisturizing it is, gives a lot of luster too. It seems to strengthen my hair when used regularly.

I have yet to flat iron my hair since I've started relaxing again. In fact I never flat ironed while natural either so I haven't used a flat iron in 7+ years.. I have a Jibere root iron but I never want to take the time to experiment with it... maybe it would help me stretch more.

baddison Yeeesssss to the juice :lol:. This heat and humidity has been great for S-curl and my hair. My NG has been soft and moisturized. The only thing I noticed is that I have to balance out regular S-curl usage with some protein or my ends start to get weak.

Braidouts and twistouts can cause tangled ends, especially if you're like me and will work the same style for a few days without redoing it, but I counter this by finger detangling with a creamy leave-in (when Im' not feeling lazy :look:).

Raspberry,
I think you should do what works for you. I always recommend increasing your stretch time over time as you get better acquainted with your NG and the different textures. Our other buddy xu93texas is stretching to 18 or 19 weeks this time and I know I can't do that, especially with all these growth aids. After week 12, I play it by ear but 16 weeks post is my goal.

As for the black tea rinse. I just brew a pot of black tea (I don't let it brew too long), if I'm low on time, I put ice cubes in too cool the temp to room temperature. After I shampoo, I pour/spritz my scalp/hair and gently massage through and rinse. I then apply my DC. Easy Breezy!

Last edited:
Ok, I have yet to find a happy medium with my relaxer. I am now noticing that no lye is terrible for my scalp, but I like the straightness. Lye is awesome on my hair and scalp, but not on the straightness factor. What am I gonna do?:'(

shortdub78, mmm I don't know how to explain it. It's not funky to me. I can put it on dry hair and it will soak right on in. I have even applied some and gone to work and no one has commented. Dh will let me know if it smells and he hasn't said anything so I take it smells ok. It works great.

divachyk

maybe i should try it again? is it good for the winter time?

Buddies - Can any of you give me an idea of how to do an oil rinse? I have tried it before, but I dont think I got the technique right. TIA!

Buddies - Can any of you give me an idea of how to do an oil rinse? I have tried it before, but I dont think I got the technique right. TIA!

well, i light mist my hair with distilled water. i apply the oil to my hair and scalp. i put on a plastic cap of an hour or so. my hair is very moist and damp when i take the cap off. i get in the shower and rinse. i do this before i shampoo. most people do it after they shampoo and before the deep condition.

i do it to help give more slip and to prevent stripping from shampooing. plus it is like deep conditioning on dry hair for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back