2012 Relaxed Hair Buddy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I oil rinse whenever I cowash...I wet my hair apply one 'lather' of conditioner rinse then squeeze out the excess water and apply a couple pumps of oil then the second 'lather' of conditioner on top of that while I do 'shower duties' then rinse it all out...I've been doing it for a few months now and absolutely love it:yep:

KhandiB

I don't really get along with coconut oil so I don't have a recommendation there:look:
I make a blend personally (because I'm a glutton) but the grapeseed would be good:yep: In my blend I use:
WGO, Olive, Hemp, Flax, Vitamin E, Lemongrass, rosemary, avocado, grapeseed, sunflower -- basically whatever oil I have in the house:grin:

I have Olive and Hot 6 Oil .. I have some rosemary oil, its just so strong!!

I don't really get along with coconut oil so I don't have a recommendation there:look:
I make a blend personally (because I'm a glutton) but the grapeseed would be good:yep: In my blend I use:
WGO, Olive, Hemp, Flax, Vitamin E, Lemongrass, rosemary, avocado, grapeseed, sunflower -- basically whatever oil I have in the house:grin:

I have Olive and Hot 6 Oil .. I have some rosemary oil, its just so strong!!
Yes, I just use a little bit of the rosemary oil...I'm a little heavier with the lemon grass because I use it for the smell:grin:

I don't know hot 6 oil but I would use the olive and grapeseed with a couple drops of rosemary for extra stimulation:yep: Just don't overdue it when you apply -- you don't want your hair to 'feel' oily.

@KiWiStyle @xu93texas @@baddison

You guys are troopers with all that stretching. I've been seeing more broken hairs.. maybe like 10 per day (is that a lot?) when I set my hair at night, and was seriously considering relaxing this week but I'm gonna have to wait until next week Thursday or Friday so I can get relaxed on a day off. I refuse to go to the salon on Saturdays :nono:.

I would probably stretch longer if I was more protective style minded - keeping my hair braided up under a wig or a weave. Or if I could master a style like a single french braid. The good side is that my hair is looking good right now... I'll miss the thickness post-TU.

xu93texas Your hair looks really good! Nothing like a wash-n-set to make you feel brand new.

You guys are troopers with all that stretching. I've been seeing more broken hairs.. maybe like 10 per day (is that a lot?) when I set my hair at night, and was seriously considering relaxing this week but I'm gonna have to wait until next week Thursday or Friday so I can get relaxed on a day off. I refuse to go to the salon on Saturdays :nono:.

I would probably stretch longer if I was more protective style minded - keeping my hair braided up under a wig or a weave. Or if I could master a style like a single french braid. The good side is that my hair is looking good right now... I'll miss the thickness post-TU.

@xu93texas Your hair looks really good! Nothing like a wash-n-set to make you feel brand new.

Raspberry The trick to my stretches is to not touch my new growth for days at a time. LOL!! As I get deeper and deeper into my 17/18 week stretches, I visit my new growth less and less. I wash and DC every weekend. I am sure to take my time and detangle, while losing the least amout of hairs possible. Once I've detangled my ng with my shower comb (sometimes I use the rake comb).....THAT'S IT!! I style daily just manipulating (moisturizing/sealing) only my relaxed hair and relaxed ends. About the middle of the week, I finger part and spritz my ng with my SCurl/Jojoba oil mixture. And then.....its the weekend again. So, I keep shedding at bay, and I lose very minimal hair when stretching for long periods of time.

I have never made it past 8 weeks, I have been trying to get to 10 weeks but have failed miserably, lol.

xu93texas Your hair looks really good! Nothing like a wash-n-set to make you feel brand new.

What's the difference between an oil rinse and a hot oil treatment? Is one better than the other?

Stillsaddity a HOT is when you apply oils and you either warm the oils before hand or use a heating cap with the oils in your hair. An oil rinse can be done a few different ways.. I use it when I cowash and what I do is add oil to my wet hair (not a lot) then apply conditoner and let that sit for a few minutes as I shower up then rinse it all out. Some use oil as their final rinse too.

Raspberry,

I feel you on the Saturday salon appointments. I don't do Friday, Saturday or Sunday appointments. I have little patience.

I think the key to stretching is protein/moisture balance, product selection and technique. If you are manipulating your hair daily with dry roots or weak strands, your hair will break for sure. I pretty much do exactly what baddison does in her weekly regimen deep in my stretch. Aside from that, stretching isn't for everyone. I'm by no means a long term stretcher, I can't see myself going beyond 16 weeks, which by the way, I have yet to achieve. The most I've done was 14 weeks. The results after that stretch was fantastic and motivation enough for me to at least make it to 14 weeks post. BUT at any time I feel my stretch is doing more harm than good, I won't hesitate to relax. A setback isn't worth breakage and shedding just for the sake of achieving stretching longevity.

Do what works for your hair. If you really want to stretch longer and just not sure how to proceed without the breakage, we can assess your reggie and help guide you through. We'll support you either way.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:
xu93texas,

I don't know if it's all in my head or what but my shedding has decreased since I put the organic garlic extract in my MN mix and take two capsules daily (2 days so far). I plan to add it to my alter ego garlic mask scalp treatment (kick it up a notch), and do a black tea rinse. My hair is already fine, i can't have fine AND thin hair. The real test is on Saturday wash day so I'll keep you posted.

I have never made it past 8 weeks, I have been trying to get to 10 weeks but have failed miserably, lol.

KhandiB lol.. hey, do what works for you. If your hair is thriving at 8 weeks no need to suffer for no reason.

I'm relaxing next Thursday just a day shy of week 12 and I'm cool with that... it's still 6 days longer than my last stretch so that's progress :giggle: I've never set a goal longer than 12 weeks anyways.

@Raspberry The trick to my stretches is to not touch my new growth for days at a time. LOL!! As I get deeper and deeper into my 17/18 week stretches, I visit my new growth less and less. I wash and DC every weekend. I am sure to take my time and detangle, while losing the least amout of hairs possible. Once I've detangled my ng with my shower comb (sometimes I use the rake comb).....THAT'S IT!! I style daily just manipulating (moisturizing/sealing) only my relaxed hair and relaxed ends. About the middle of the week, I finger part and spritz my ng with my SCurl/Jojoba oil mixture. And then.....its the weekend again. So, I keep shedding at bay, and I lose very minimal hair when stretching for long periods of time.

baddison Your technique seems simple and makes total sense :yep:, I'll keep this in mind for the next stretch.

KiWiStyle You bring up a good point about manipulation and dry hair. While I always put product on my hair before handling it, I don't usually saturate it with product unless I've just washed it. I guess I'm subconsciously avoiding a greasy look but NG especially sucks up moisture like nothing else so I need to start being more heavy handed.

Raspberry said:
KiWiStyle You bring up a good point about manipulation and dry hair. While I always put product on my hair before handling it, I don't usually saturate it with product unless I've just washed it. I guess I'm subconsciously avoiding a greasy look but NG especially sucks up moisture like nothing else so I need to start being more heavy handed.

12 weeks post is still very good :-).

Raspberry,
Thanks for the compliment! Girl, do you when it comes to relaxing. My hair is doing OK. Since I wear wigs every day, I don't bother my hair at all. I do M&S every night and apply my growth aids. Every morning I apply a moisturizing spray and seal with oil before putting on wig cap and wig. BTW, can we pleeeeeeeezzzzeee see a pic this time after relaxing??:giggle:

KiWiStyle,
Good for you! Let me know how wash day turns out. I'll be doing a black tea rinse this weekend for sure.

baddison,
My weekly regimen is similar to yours. Almost 11 weeks post, 7 more to go. :grin:

I'm at 12 weeks and 3 days of my very first stretch and I believe I will only go to 13 weeks this time but next time I plan to aim for 16 weeks. I just started rollersetting my hair about two weeks ago and I've been maintaining my curls by pin curling at night. It took a few weeks to figure out a style I could wear once my ng got too unruly. I tried twist outs and braid outs but I didn't like the curls as much as I like the rollerset. I'm new to this healthy hair thing so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Stillsaddity said:
I'm at 12 weeks and 3 days of my very first stretch and I believe I will only go to 13 weeks this time but next time I plan to aim for 16 weeks. I just started rollersetting my hair about two weeks ago and I've been maintaining my curls by pin curling at night. It took a few weeks to figure out a style I could wear once my ng got too unruly. I tried twist outs and braid outs but I didn't like the curls as much as I like the rollerset. I'm new to this healthy hair thing so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I don't really have any advice except keep it clean and well conditioned but we are almost at the same place post-relax (12 weeks tomorrow). This is my longest stretch EVER! I usually do twist-outs but I've been struggling with my products and my ends. I just saw something on Utube about covering my ends with Vaseline to cut down on over processing. The other thing I'm considering is texlaxing instead of a bone-straight relaxer. I just switched from a no-lye to lye...didn't even know how to tell difference until now, thank you, ladies! I'm on my HHS...I'm looking forward to great ends. I'm APL at my shortest layers and almost BSL at my longest. Right now I'm in cornrows and I am thinking of going to 16 weeks this time...how about it?

Cattypus1 said:
I don't really have any advice except keep it clean and well conditioned but we are almost at the same place post-relax (12 weeks tomorrow). This is my longest stretch EVER! I usually do twist-outs but I've been struggling with my products and my ends. I just saw something on Utube about covering my ends with Vaseline to cut down on over processing. The other thing I'm considering is texlaxing instead of a bone-straight relaxer. I just switched from a no-lye to lye...didn't even know how to tell difference until now, thank you, ladies! I'm on my HHS...I'm looking forward to great ends. I'm APL at my shortest layers and almost BSL at my longest. Right now I'm in cornrows and I am thinking of going to 16 weeks this time...how about it?

I really wish I could make it to the 16 weeks this time but I think I may have detected a little breakage in the center when I was doing my rollerset a couple days ago. I can't be sure if it was already there are not. My hair hardly ever breaks so idk what's going on. I've been trying to make sure I keep it moisturized, is there something I'm doing wrong??

I relaxed yesterday after a 17 month stint/stunt on the natural side. My hair flourished, I learned a lot, but manageability wasn't there.

Going for a 20 week stretch. Hair out for 12 weeks while I work on my moisture game and then weave for 8 weeks.

So I washed and DC'd last night , and I just put my hair in a pony braided it and twisted it around its self, and lookie what I got, a cute lil bun, that doesnt look thin :grin: ..dont mind the wolf hairs please :look: :lol:

Attachments

• bun.jpg
    bun.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 32
KhandiB said:
So I washed and DC'd last night , and I just put my hair in a pony braided it and twisted it around its self, and lookie what I got, a cute lil bun, that doesnt look thin :grin: ..dont mind the wolf hairs please :look: :lol:

Very pretty bun. You know all of us have wolf hairs at some point, I embrace mine:-).

I really would like to find a way to smooth my hair without using a brush or maybe get a softer one.. Im excited Im going to co-wash for the next few days .. I remember when I tried cowashing before I had decent results..

Then this weekend I am going to attempt an airdried rollerset…I hope it works

KhandiB said:
I really would like to find a way to smooth my hair without using a brush or maybe get a softer one.. Im excited Im going to co-wash for the next few days .. I remember when I tried cowashing before I had decent results..

Then this weekend I am going to attempt an airdried rollerset…I hope it works

KhandiB, I gently rake a fine tooth comb iacross my hair for smoothing. For nape/edges, I use a soft bristled toothbrush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back