2012 Relaxed Hair Buddy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this has been covered yet, but do any of you relaxed ladies do wash n gos or scrunching? I've always loved how they look when done correctly and I would LOVE for that to be my go to style for the summer (at least).

@gabulldawg there is someone who does....I can't remember her exact name now....arghh...let me see if I can come up with it...I'll tag her when I do.

ETA: I found her @danysedai please share your gorgeous scrunching technique with @gabaulldawg:grin:

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been covered yet, but do any of you relaxed ladies do wash n gos or scrunching? I've always loved how they look when done correctly and I would LOVE for that to be my go to style for the summer (at least).

Me and I love it. I plan on scrunching my hair this summer

Me and I love it. I plan on scrunching my hair this summer

Thanks! Do you have pics? Also, what is your scrunching routine? I'm looking for something that would define my curls and hold them, but not be too crunchy. :ohwell:

What is scrunching?

It's something that people do to define curls in their hair, particularly when it's straight. I'm not good at explaining, so maybe someone else can. :lol: There are vids on youtube as well.

I'm a relaxed hair about 8 weeks post. I am going to stretch to 10 weeks. My hair usually starts to have issues after 10 weeks. I am struggling to find ways to style my hair when my roots are puffy and resist lying flat under ponytails/buns/updos.

To be fair, I searched what threads we could bump first without starting new ones. Found a few.

Relaxed protective styles...let's post our pics/instructions there.

@Ms. Tiki, I tagged you on a henna thread that you might can latch on to. Check it out.

Here are some threads I found that I didn't bump that some of you might can bump - hint hint. I don't want to be the only bumper and it be having me looking all foolish.

University of Relaxed Hair

Relaxed/Henna
Divachyk's Bun

Just posted in the "Relaxed/Henna" thread!!

I will be the poster child of not doing at home trims with shears. I will stick to my split ender from now on. I'm lopsided. BTW, my hair is damp and uncombed. The lopsided isn't as bad when it's flat iron but it's still a pain. The black line is my waist. Thank God for being short

Hairpic-1.jpg

Ms Tiki....my hair is also lopsided and uneven. I tried cutting it myself, but I think I made it worse. I also have split-ender, so I'm not concerned that my ends are not HEALTHY....they are!! But the hair is uneven as all "get out". Good thing I only wear protective styles for now, 'til I reach BSL. how often do you use your split-ender??

gabulldawg I only have one pic on my blog and it's a bootleg job. If you want soft there is a product called wet n wavy that I use. It has the whole line from shampoo, condish, leave-in, liquid gel, activator gel. Everything you need.

http://www.lhboutique.com/Wet-n-Wavy-s/378.htm

If I'm feeling lazy I use Garnier or Tresemme mousse. I do my hair in sections to make sure I don't frizz up. I put product in from root to tip and tilt to the side. I don't lean over, too much work. I scrunch each section until it is almost to where I want it. The only thing is once you are done you can't touch it. If you a hurry you can scrunch using a diffuser. I probably need to make a video and put it on youtube

What is scrunching?

You literally ball you hair up in your hand to produce a wave or curl pattern. There are some video on youtube but they are by people with short hair or other hair:perplexed

Ms Tiki....my hair is also lopsided and uneven. I tried cutting it myself, but I think I made it worse. I also have split-ender, so I'm not concerned that my ends are not HEALTHY....they are!! But the hair is uneven as all "get out". Good thing I only wear protective styles for now, 'til I reach BSL. how often do you use your split-ender??

Yeah, I know my ends are healthy but the unevenness is driving me crazy but I have no one to blame but my scissor happy self. I used my split-ender ever 3 months but I said I want to start dusting monthly or around every 4-6 weeks

^^^ You should definitely do a video!! :yep:

Let me talk myself into it before the next quarter starts. I just fixed my camera the other day when I posted the pic

Ms. Tiki :lachen: your humor doesn't bother me. It was a busy day and evening and I'm just now logging on in the wee hours of the morning. I'm off Friday so it's all good. Is your hair hard (like styling gel hard) after scrunching?

Angelinhell, good luck with the braids!

divachyk It depends on what products I use. With the wet n wavy product it doesn't get hard at all. Dang, now I can't remember what I wanted to asked you. Old age is setting in

Ms. Tiki, don't be claiming no old age. I'm holding on to my last bit of youth until I can't no-mo. I'm about to go to bed but hit me up when you think of your question.

Nix08 and Ms. Tiki, how is your ng feeling? Mine is feeling good. Thursday night I prepped my hair for my upcoming wash on either Fri or Sat. I lost a good bit of hair to shed. I'm trying my hand at not combing daily so I am safely assuming the hairs lost are merely an accumulation. My breakage is still minimal which is lovely. The breakage I'm getting now is mostly self-imposed, ya know, the kind when you start to rush and use improper technique. Yeah, dat be it.

Hey ladies just checking to see how everyone's stretch is going.

I have a few questions I wanted to throw out there to get some incite, after my last stretch I TU with a new relaxer CON Aragan oil. While my relaxer didn't burn me at all and left my hair very shiny it also gave me a texlaxish ( see how I created a new word? Clever huh) texture, prior to this relaxer my hair has always been bone straight even when it's wet while this one gives me S shaped curl....as pretty as it is I hate it.... Because it dries that way and the only way to get rid of it is to use heat, which I'm trying to wean myself off of. So do you guys think it would be safe to reapply relaxer to my already texlax area when I go and get a TU in June/July? also what relaxer would you suggest?

I have also joined the MN challenge and the results I've been getting are amazing!! I got a blow out on Monday because I had a interview and I couldn't for the life of me tame my NG .it gave my a glimpse of my progress and it put a huge grin on my face. I have decided to buy the roots only applicator bottle and just bun the rest of the challenge, is it ok to Leave a bun in for a week without letting it out or is that too much stress on my hair? Sorry for the lengthy post TIA

is it ok to Leave a bun in for a week without letting it out or is that too much stress on my hair? Sorry for the lengthy post TIA

I would like to know the answer to this too....

Sorry I can't help you Mznelly, I am a relative newbie here....am just 6 months in.

I think you would want to take it down to moisturize. The longest I leave my hair in a bun is two days, even if Im bunning for a week.

Maybe some of the other relaxed bun experts here can give you better advice, lol

is it ok to Leave a bun in for a week without letting it out or is that too much stress on my hair? Sorry for the lengthy post TIA

xu93texas, Raspberry

Are all of us 6 weeks yet!? I'm 6w2d and my hair is doing great!! I'm getting ready to do my weekly shampoo and steam DC although I'm super tired.

YAY, I have staples now and I don't want to use anything else but how will I ever use up my stash?? Any ideas??

@xu93texas, Raspberry

Are all of us 6 weeks yet!? I'm 6w2d and my hair is doing great!! I'm getting ready to do my weekly shampoo and steam DC although I'm super tired.

YAY, I have staples now and I don't want to use anything else but how will I ever use up my stash?? Any ideas??

@KiWiStyle @xu93texas

Yep, I'm now at 6 weeks :yep:. My hair is doing great but it's growing slower this time around. I've read threads on here about hair going through cycles of slower/faster growth so I'm not worried about it. I've also been exercising less and I need to get it together *sigh.*

I use up (some) of my stash by mixing products together.. like a non-sulfate shampoo with a sulfate 'poo for a mild cleanse. I don't mind alternating conditioners either. I also layer different leave-ins together sometimes and have discovered some combos give me fantabulous results .. like layering Claudies Isha Cream under my Chi leave-in masque gives crazy silky smooth moisturized results to my twist-outs/bantu knot-outs. I try to call myself being methodical about the layering: liquid leave in under a creme moisturizer, use 'cones as a sealent over a creme moisturizers, etc.

@KiWiStyle @xu93texas

Yep, I'm now at 6 weeks :yep:. My hair is doing great but it's growing slower this time around. I've read threads on here about hair going through cycles of slower/faster growth so I'm not worried about it. I've also been exercising less and I need to get it together *sigh.*

I use up (some) of my stash by mixing products together.. like a non-sulfate shampoo with a sulfate 'poo for a mild cleanse. I don't mind alternating conditioners either. I also layer different leave-ins together sometimes and have discovered some combos give me fantabulous results .. like layering Claudies Isha Cream under my Chi leave-in masque gives crazy silky smooth moisturized results to my twist-outs/bantu knot-outs. I try to call myself being methodical about the layering: liquid leave in under a creme moisturizer, use 'cones as a sealent over a creme moisturizers, etc.

Raspberry, I've slacked off exercising as well. I'm hopeful that I get more growth this stretch. I made an appt. next week to get my rinse and I'll get my hair flat-ironed (will use my first heat pass for the Summer No Heat challenge).
I also layer my products to get rid of them as well. I dumped almost the whole container of PM the Conditioner into my Elasta QP leave in. I've been using the combo to moisturize my hair, edges, and nape before putting on my wigs.

Raspberry said:
@KiWiStyle @xu93texas

Raspberry xu93texas,,

I love your methodical thinking! Layering is genius!! I promised myself I won't use anymore serums unless I'm straightening my hair or prepping my ends for relaxer application. I would put my serums in after my leave-in and then moisturizer. what I didn't realize but makes perfect sense is that my moisturizer couldn't penetrate my strands because I sealed them with the serum. DUH!!

My NG is coming in nicely and I'm expecting a full 2 inches like before. My protective style and very low manipulation is on point. I'm drinking tons of water and am now making an effort to prepare foods with health benefits (I'm boiling two eggs and making a toast w/coconut spread right now as a late snack). I take my vitamin regimen like clockwork but I plan to limit the amount I take when I'm finished with these. Now all I have to do is exercise, lol!

xu93texas said:
Raspberry, I've slacked off exercising as well. I'm hopeful that I get more growth this stretch. I made an appt. next week to get my rinse and I'll get my hair flat-ironed (will use my first heat pass for the Summer No Heat challenge).
I also layer my products to get rid of them as well. I dumped almost the whole container of PM the Conditioner into my Elasta QP leave in. I've been using the combo to moisturize my hair, edges, and nape before putting on my wigs.

xu93texas,
LOL, I pulled out my PM The Conditioner tonight to. That'll be my first leave-in in my stash to get used up because it's about 3/4 empty.

@xu93texas, Raspberry

I'm 6wks, 2d also. So far so good. I went shopping at Ulta yesterday. I washed last night and I'm loving my hair. I have a new regimen with the new products that I'll be doing for the summer. I'm decreasing the amount of products that I use so my hair will have more body/bounce.

I sell some of my products on the hair exchange forum. I give products to my mom. sisters, and SILs. If possible, I return unused products if the store's policy allows it within a certain time frame. You can also combine products or layer them to get rid of faster.

I'm 4 weeks post today and since nobody has adopted me, I'm just gonna e-push my way in one of ya'lls groups...:trampolin

KhandiB - your siggy :lovedrool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back