2012 Relaxed Hair Buddy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
GoddessMaker, we are paired up by the number of weeks post. How many weeks post are you? Perhaps you can team up with someone near or about the same weeks post. As for as knowledge, you can fire your questions away within the thread so that any or all of us can chime in to help you along.

divachyk I just love you..you make me feel wanted lol. I will be one week post on Monday.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what's the best heat protectant for when I blow my hair out which won't be too often but when I do I want it to stay for more than a day. I just went through my leave ins to see which was protein and moisture based. I need to do the same with my poos and conditioners so I will use things properly. This is so exciting.

@sckri23, are you deliberately moisturizing your ng? I use to struggle with ng issues but a few things that helped me along the way (in no particular order) -- applying moisturizer to my ng in a deliberate fashion like a relaxer TU, finger combing to remove shed hairs, spritz ng with water and/or cowashing.

I work in 4 quadrants. I finger comb to remove shed hairs. This also separates the hair so that I can really get into the ng and moisturize really good. Plus, it removes shed hairs that might absorb moisturizer unnecessarily. No need to keep shed hairs and have it absorb my moisturizer.

I apply moisturizer throughout one quadrant to both the ng and the length. If my ng is really dry, I will sprtiz my ng with water first and then apply moisturizer. I then massage my roots to distribute product. My finger motions mimic that of scalp massaging to rub in the product. I seal, two strand twist and then move to the next quadrant of hair.

Not a lot of growth, I blame it on an expired relaxer that didnt take 5 weeks ago

Lol I forgive you your hair seriously didnt look 5 weeks post! What do you attribute to all that growth? Your hair came out fantastic I love the thickness of it. It looks so luscious

Ladies, is anyone one or two weeks post? GoddessMaker needs a buddy.

GoddessMaker, you're so sweet. Yes, you are loved and wanted around these parts. :grin: I use Sally's GVP version of Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum or GVP Silk Remedy.

Have you thought about getting some twists or braids, so you won't have to manipulate your hair? I'm in the same boat, but I'm still contemplating on getting twists or micros(for some reason I have a fear they will do them too tight and I will lose my edges:nono:). Lately I've just been making a bun with some kanekelon braiding hair, it works pretty well for me.

@Angelinhell I can't get micros. The slide right out of my hair. The only thing that will stay in for at least a month is kinky twist but I think my hair is too long for them now. I thought about individuals but the would have to be booty length b/c I'm close to WL.

@Nix08 I have to figure it out. I think I might take the braids out in the back and give it a quick flat iron. Hope that satifies my need. This is one of the drawback of being OCD: it interferes with other things. As for braidouts...umm, see what had happened was...umm, I can't keep my damn hands out of my head. That OCD again. I really should take my meds:lachen::lachen:

Last edited:
@divachyk I just love you..you make me feel wanted lol. I will be one week post on Monday.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what's the best heat protectant for when I blow my hair out which won't be too often but when I do I want it to stay for more than a day. I just went through my leave ins to see which was protein and moisture based. I need to do the same with my poos and conditioners so I will use things properly. This is so exciting.

@GoddessMaker Check out my blog. I just posted my favorite two heat protectors and another that seems popular. Sorry but I'm too lazy to repost the info. :lol: I also have the ones DivaChyk mentioned. I just don't use them as much b/c I get a little heavy handed with serums...oops:lachen:

KiWiStyle,

My stylist uses the Influance relaxer. I think she left it on longer than I wanted. Since I've been stretching my relaxers and I've taken care of scalp problems, I no longer burn. Before she would have to work very, very quickly to apply my relaxer to reduce scalp irritation. Next time I'll have her rinse out sooner in order to get a texlaxed result.

I haven't tried henna before or a clear rinse. When are you going to start using henna?

xu93texas,
I don't even know where to start looking. There is a member here who's blog I follow because I LOVE her hair so I'm going to find out what brand she uses. I want to purchase and apply it before my ng gets out of control. I think people usually henna once a month. I'm going to add henna to my regimen to strengthen and thicken my strands, do want to join me??

Right now I'm trying to figure out what's the best heat protectant for when I blow my hair out which won't be too often but when I do I want it to stay for more than a day.

GoddessMaker There was a great thread about preventing heat damage with proper leave-ins. For a blow-out you should use products that have glycerin and propylene glycol in the ingredient list because they protect against moisture loss. Lately I've been using a liquid leave-in with those ingredients on damp hair after a wash, then seal with a silicone based protectant like Chi Silk, and my blow-outs have been amazing. Also, make sure to use the lower heat settings.

How to prevent heat damage

@GoddessMaker I can be your buddy. I am one week and one day post. I currently use mostly Mizani products and I use a Mizani heat protector. However I hardly blow dry or flat iron - I rollerset.

Btw...your siggy pic looks really nice. I always lurk in the threads you tend to post in and I must say congrats on your weight loss! Keep it up!

Last edited:
@Raspberry thank you for this. Ok I will be looking into that thread. I am surprised I had one heat protectant that is suppose to be good already. The Fantasia IC..it's a wonder to shop your own stash.

Loving yay I have a buddy. I'm a day shy of being one week post. I used ORS Lye Olive Oil relaxer. Thinking if I will do a corrective one since my ends are mad curly whilst wet.

Thank you for the compliment. I do what I can both hair and weight.

@Loving yay I have a buddy. I'm a day shy of being one week post. I used ORS Lye Olive Oil relaxer. Thinking if I will do a corrective one since my ends are mad curly whilst wet.

Thank you for the compliment. I do what I can both hair and weight.
@GoddessMaker For the first time ever I am underprocessed at the root of my crown area. I was advised by the ladies here to wait until my next touch up (which is in 9 weeks time) to correct it. I'm not sure about being under processed at the ends though. @sunnieb @Nix08 @divachyk Ms. Tiki can any one of you advise?

GoddessMaker - don't do a corrective just yet.

Did you self-relax or go to a salon. Was the relaxer applied to your ends? Did you oil or coat your ends before relaxing?

@xu93texas,
I don't even know where to start looking. There is a member here who's blog I follow because I LOVE her hair so I'm going to find out what brand she uses. I want to purchase and apply it before my ng gets out of control. I think people usually henna once a month. I'm going to add henna to my regimen to strengthen and thicken my strands, do want to join me??

I would like to try henna. I'll have to do some research to see if I can use henna with some of the other products I purchased from the Indian store.

Ok, I really need a trim. I think I will clip my ends tonight. They are beginning to look bad.:ohwell:

xu93texas said:
I would like to try henna. I'll have to do some research to see if I can use henna with some of the other products I purchased from the Indian store.

Ok, I really need a trim. I think I will clip my ends tonight. They are beginning to look bad.:ohwell:

Do you only trim when you have a recent relaxer or whenever? Because I use to do whenever but always told relaxed to get a better even trim...

xu93texas said:

Mines are thin, i need a trim but trying to hold out til June, going to be 7 weeks tomorrow holding out to ten because I'm relaxed and colored

sunnieb I self relaxed and didn't put oil in my hair before and combed it all the way through. I'm going to hold as suggested and correct when it's time for a touch up in 9-12 weeks..don't want no extra damage.

Do you only trim when you have a recent relaxer or whenever? Because I use to do whenever but always told relaxed to get a better even trim...

I just clipped my ends. They were beginning to look raggedy. My stylist usually trims my ends with each relaxer. However, after taking down my sew in last week, my ends looked a mess.

@GoddessMaker For the first time ever I am underprocessed at the root of my crown area. I was advised by the ladies here to wait until my next touch up (which is in 9 weeks time) to correct it. I'm not sure about being under processed at the ends though. @sunnieb @Nix08 @divachyk @Ms. Tiki can any one of you advise?

Who has colored relaxed hair?

@Loving @GoddessMaker I would wait until your next TU to correct the under processed areas. I've been under processed before and it was a pain but waiting until my next TU helped minimized the potential for over processing. Even then, the stylist only applied the relaxer to those under processed areas the last 5 minutes of processing.

ETA: @Lilmama1011, topnotch1010 has relaxed/colored hair but I don't believe she participates in this thread.

ETA again: GoddessMaker, my hair isn't straight while wet or dry. I have some wave to both my straight and dry hair. I don't consider myself texlaxed. I consider myself relaxed. I've seen people debate relaxed vs. bonelaxed. It seems that regular relaxed have wave pattern while wet/dry wheres bonelaxed hair is completely straight when wet or dry. I think sunnieb considers herself bonelaxed. Sunnie, is your hair wavy when wet or dry?

Last edited:
divachyk thank you for this info. I know my hair is def underprocessed at the ends bc it's like my hair was natural but a bit enlongated. When I blow it out it's straight but with a bit of texture. I will hold any corrective til Aug when it's tu time. It's not too bad of a issue since I bun most of the time anyway.

I think I will start creating a weekly reggie outside of wash day. I think I will start co-washing mid week and air dry and bun. I see a tiny bit of breakage but I think with the right protein and stuff it will be ok. I love my hair right now. I have never said that in my life.

I need a hair buddy..I feel lost but not too blind in this area. I have been relaxed before but def wasn't on point in the knowledge of healthy relaxed hair..any takers?

GoddessMaker
i am 3 weeks and some days post, but i can be your buddy! i am trying to stretch until July. i wash and dc twice a week, roller set, wear it out on wash day and bun the rest of the time. i moisturize 1-2 daily.

i wash in the shower and detangle after i dc out of the shower. i use a detangler. i don't prepoo or dc on dry hair anymore. those things seemed to wear my hair down and didn't give me the moisture i needed. i am staying away from cream moisturizers too. they tend to sit on my strands and cause buildup.

@shortdub78, what moisturizer are you using?

i started using Wave Nouveau Moisturizing Mist
CON Argan Oil Leave-in
Hawaiian Silky 14n1

i noticed my hair responds better, doesn't feel weighed down or coated, and it stays soft, not dry and rough.

with creams i always had to apply more and they would leave my hair stiff after awhile. i would have to wash more often and cowashing wasn't cutting it.

xu93texas KiWiStyle

Do you examine your shed hair? I'm kind of obsessive about it. I'm always checking for abnormal breakage and testing elasticity. It's been helping though cause I've been learning some things. Like I'm seeing that even mild proteins like silk and hydrolyzed wheat build up on my strands quickly. I'll start out after a wash day with good elasticity and by the 4th day of using leave-ins and gels with mild proteins my strands are stiffer and snap easier. The good thing is I've found an easy way to counteract this - dampening and setting my hair with water after a few days of continual product use. The elasticity and moisture balance is great in the morning.

I've also concluded that nothing detangles my hair as well as a 'cone based leave-in - not a serum but a moisturizing cream. If used right, 'cones are great for smoothing and protecting strands from mechanical damage. My breakage has been reduced greatly after a wash when detangling with silicone products. I haven't seen any bad effects yet and I make sure to wash with a mild sulfate 'poo.

@GoddessMaker For the first time ever I am underprocessed at the root of my crown area. I was advised by the ladies here to wait until my next touch up (which is in 9 weeks time) to correct it. I'm not sure about being under processed at the ends though. @sunnieb @Nix08 @divachyk @Ms. Tiki can any one of you advise?

I just saw this but it looks like the ladies have it covered. I definitely wouldn't attempt to correct it. I've already had a corrective mishap. I would leave it alone.

@xu93texas @KiWiStyle

Do you examine your shed hair? I'm kind of obsessive about it. I'm always checking for abnormal breakage and testing elasticity. It's been helping though cause I've been learning some things. Like I'm seeing that even mild proteins like silk and hydrolyzed wheat build up on my strands quickly. I'll start out after a wash day with good elasticity and by the 4th day of using leave-ins and gels with mild proteins my strands are stiffer and snap easier. The good thing is I've found an easy way to counteract this - dampening and setting my hair with water after a few days of continual product use. The elasticity and moisture balance is great in the morning.

I've also concluded that nothing detangles my hair as well as a 'cone based leave-in - not a serum but a moisturizing cream. If used right, 'cones are great for smoothing and protecting strands from mechanical damage. My breakage has been reduced greatly after a wash when detangling with silicone products. I haven't seen any bad effects yet and I make sure to wash with a mild sulfate 'poo.

Raspberry,
No, I don't examine my shed hair for elasticity. :nono: I can tell when I'm experiencing abnormal breakage. Right now, I'm just trying to simplify my life. I'm so ready to get my staples on point so I can have a KISS like you.:grin: Good for you to be so thorough.

I like leave ins with cones as well. I have PM-the Conditioner, Elasta QP H2, Aphogee Pro-vitamin leave in, or Aphogee Keratin & Green tea restructerizer. I've used Redken Anti-snap treatment in the past and I like that as well. I like to use a leave in spray, then leave in cream, then a little serum and air dry. I've been washing/DC every 3 days or so with a sulfate free shampoo.

Not sure I found a buddy. Actually guess I did not:lol:. I am 6 and a half months post and will be relaxing later today. hair's looking thick - for my fine hair so looking forward to seeing my length aim for Dec is MBL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back