2012 Relaxed Hair Buddy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful braid-outs sunnieb and bebezazueta!

Bebezazueta I've been discovering the wonders of dirty hair too, I'm overdue for a wash but it's so much easier to keep curls/waves right now and all I've been needing to do is set my hair with a little water at night, since it's about as moisturized/saturated/greazzy as it's gonna get :lol:

KiWiStyle, Raspberry,

Hi ladies,
What are your weekend hair plans? It's Mother Day weekend, any special plans for your hair? I will be doing a flexi-rod set. I hope it turns out OK.
I've had this sew-in for 2 weeks now. So far so good, but I'm starting to miss my hair. I'm not sure how long I'll keep this weave in, but it'll be at least 1 month. I'm ready to get my hair growing and retaining length for the summer. I've decided to implement some new ideas/concepts to maximize growth, retention, and healthier hair:
-no heat, except for indirect heat from hood dryer, if necessary. I joined the Summer 2012 No Heat Challenge. We're allowed 3 heat passes and that's plenty.
-I'm going to try some ayurvedic oils and powders
-continue to wear protective styles: sew-in or wigs about 90% of the summer
-I'll be stepping up my exercising, eating right (more fruits and veggies) and drinking a green smoothie at least 5 days a week.

I'm determined to get to full SL by the end of the summer. Basically, I need to grow/retain at least 0.75 inch of ng each month. What about you ladies? Any summer hair care plans/regimens?

DivaJones If you don't mind I have a few questions about senegalese twists, because I plan on getting some soon.(maybe)
Is this your first time getting them?
How long did it take?
How much did you pay?
Are they too tight?
Do you think you will have a problem with losing your edges?
This will be my first time getting any kind of twists and extensions, and I'm scared because of some of the horror stories I've heard.

Alrighty then, since nun ya'll want to be my buddy, I'm just gonna jump in the conversation like I always do! Ha! :lol:

My hurr looks good today!! :lol:

Im wearing a braid out, I tried a different way of doing it last night, I did 4 braids.

I parted my hair down the middle and in the front braided it back and rolled with yellow hard mesh rollers and braided the back downward.

My hair is so wavy.. Will take pics later...

If that description is confusing..im sorry, I parted it 4 ways like you would do with a relaxer,lol

KhandiB - Where the pix?

xu93texas, Raspberry,

WOW, I haven't even thought about the holiday. My husband and kids are taking me out for fine dining on Mother's Day but my hair haven't even crossed my mind but I'm glad you brought it up so now I can think about it. So you're doing a flexi-rod set? I'm sure if you take your time, it'll come out perfectly.

Sew-in's are like that, I get tired of them fast too because I want to wash my hair a lot now, be patient...it'll payoff big-time by your next relaxer reveal!!
I never use heat because I look a hot mess when i'm done so I just leave that to my stylist when I go for relaxers and trims. I bought a babyliss curling iron and a flat iron but will hardly ever use them, LOL. I got them for those just in case days.
"I'm going to try some ayurvedic oils and powders" I want to try these as well, have you ever henna'd? This will most likely be my next new thing.

"I'll be stepping up my exercising, eating right (more fruits and veggies) and drinking a green smoothie at least 5 days a week." This is always a good thing. I'm taking a new hair vitamin and multi-vitamin so I have no idea how they will effect my growth as for water, i've been a fish all this year, I can't get enough water! DH and I also ride our bikes on the lakefront in the summer and so i'm soo very excited to get back on the trail.

"I'm determined to get to full SL by the end of the summer. Basically, I need to grow/retain at least 0.75 inch of ng each month. What about you ladies? Any summer hair care plans/regimens?" The only things I plan to do is continue my vitamin regimen, shampoo and DC regimens, my water intake is good but I could use more exercise. I am really comfortable with my single inverted french braid, I can leave it in for up to 3-4 days at a time and my ends are completely protected. I've actually gotten my nape off to a good start so now the front of my hair is my primary focus. It grows so very slow there and I hate topical growth aids so I'm upping my scalp massage every where but concentrating on the front.

Last edited:
@xu93texas @KiWiStyle

I don't have specific hair goals for the summer besides perfecting the messy bun. I'm more concerned about getting regular exercise and I'm hoping the extra exertion and blood circulation will cause my hair to grow faster :yep:

I'm finding that I retain the most growth with a low manipulation routine.

Last edited:
I need a buddy :D

How many weeks post are you right now? on this Saturday I'll be 13 wks post

How long are you stretching? I am stretching 6 months, Oh Im going to try

Any other info? Not really

Any of you ladies ever done a corrective relaxer before? I got a touch up on Saturday but I am slightly underprocessed in the crown region (my hair always grows thicker there). My stylist wants to do a corrective in the next 2 weeks but I told her I would rather wait 3 weeks. My plan is to do protein DCs until then and protect the previoulsy relaxed hair when getting the corrective. She will only be correcting the crown area as everywhere else came out straight.

Any thing else I should be aware of?

@Loving everytime I pondered getting a corrective done I was advised to NOT do it. I ended up relaxing at 8 weeks rather than any longer. If you can at all manage your underprocessed area, I'd give you the same advice and just work with it until your next relaxer and she can start in that spot first....

Nix08 I was considering doing that but the thing is I have to stretch this relaxer for 11 weeks due to an event I have coming up then. I really dont want to do a touch up at 7 weeks and then at 4 or do one at 8 and then at 3.

I dont know what to do.......

@Loving....how about going to 10 weeks with all of it or even 9...2 weeks after a relaxer the hair is still pretty straight and manageable hair.....a lot of people say that they start to prefer their hair a few weeks after their relaxer as it's less flat.

Last edited:
@Nix08, that's a good point! Any tips on how to manage this underprocessed area since you have been here before?

Last edited:
Any buddies out there for me? I am 2 days post and would like to go for 10 weeks. I am a bit underprocessed in the crown region and will be looking to this thread for help to manage this area before my next touch up.

Loving ...sorry I didn't see your edit earlier....I co wash a lot so the added moisture really helps. How do you wear your hair normally, is regular co washing an option? If not or maybe even so...if you are deliberate about adding your leave in or daily moisture to that area I find that helps (that's what I do when I'm about 7 weeks post and onward). I also DC a lot, I DC on dry hair so it could also be called a pre poo....

@Loving ...sorry I didn't see your edit earlier....I co wash a lot so the added moisture really helps. How do you wear your hair normally, is regular co washing an option? If not or maybe even so...if you are deliberate about adding your leave in or daily moisture to that area I find that helps (that's what I do when I'm about 7 weeks post and onward). I also DC a lot, I DC on dry hair so it could also be called a pre poo....
@Nix08 that's ok :grin:. I usually do a DC on dry hair every week. Moisture isn't a problem these days especially since I have been using the Suave Almond and Shea butter. I don't like to cowash, my hair doesn't like the extra manipulation.

I guess patience will be the key for this stretch.

Loving in that case you'll be fine....if you daily moisturize and seal then I would put some extra moisturizer on my finger tips and rub it on the underprocessed areas...

Ladies, I'm not sure if I'm going to make it 12 weeks. I'm 5 weeks post and the NG is out of control. I was trying to part it to put my MN on my scalp and I had to fight my hair to get to my scalp. WTH? This is about to get real!

Nix08 and @Ms. Tiki --- just checking in. Ok so I'm not sure what's up with my hair. It's behaving like I'm 15 weeks post and I'm nowhere near it. First off, it's very very thick at the root. I hope that's a sign of some good growth. However, my aging ends are causing issues. I was experiencing some breakage a few days ago and thought, hmmm let me protein treat. Yeah well, got quite a bit of breakage yesterday after using AO GPB so I will be babying my hair for a week or so until I correct this mishap that's occuring. All this rambling to say, I will likely end my stretch around 8-10 weeks this time around. I'm not vibing with the thick roots and the breakge. Getting a TU seems to reset my hair's balance.

Ladies, I'm not sure if I'm going to make it 12 weeks. I'm 5 weeks post and the NG is out of control. I was trying to part it to put my MN on my scalp and I had to fight my hair to get to my scalp. WTH? This is about to get real!

@Ms. Tiki isn't that what we all want -- growth :lachen:Yep, your hair is growing..the downside is the TU schedule. So look at the upside girl, you are on a roll.

divachyk so you think you may have protein overload? do you still use the Beemine balancing moisturizer on your ends?

Last edited:
Lol...too funny ladies. I am new to this game but one thing I have learnt so far is to listen to your hair. If that means getting a T/U earlier than usual, then so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back