2012 Relaxed Hair Buddy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You a Taurus too buddy?? @TeeSGee My Birthday was this past Friday, Knew I liked you for a reason :lol:

Anywhoo, I dont think my last couple of relaxers took to well. Im not happy with my new growth, its seems really dry and unresponsive...

KhandiB, thank u and happy belated Bday to u.:huggle:Taurus Rocks.

Sorry to hear about ur hair, try moisturizing the NG or Bagging and see if that helps.

Hi ladies, It's been almost a week and so far so good. The only thing that is bothering me about this sew in is the hair irritates my neck. I keep it up in a ponytail when I'm at home. After seeing Mrs.Obama's hair at WHCD, I'm thinking about cutting it. We'll see.

@KiWiStyle,
I'm sure you didn't experience any heat damage. You mentioned
your dh concern for your natural hair (no color or extensions). Does your husband support or object you using chemicals? Have you ever thought about transitioning?
How did your shampoo/condition/steam treatment turn out?

@Raspberry,
You are really liking your new blow dryer. I don't think a little heat is damaging at all. My hair can tolerate it. What is your current regimen? I saw in another post you mentioned using Silk Dreams and other natural hair products. Does your hair respond the same to natural hair products vs. traditional/salon products?

@KiWiStyle I think being wary about heat damage is half the battle. It's the people who apply heat without thinking or in multiple forms unnecessarily who have the worst experiences. If you're subsconsiously afraid of damage you're most likely doing what you need to do to avoid it. Also, I'm deathly afraid to let someone else, even a stylist, do anything besides rollerset me. Other folks tend to focus on getting your hair super straight and that's it. Being DYI with heat is the way to go IMO.

@xu93texas I hope you see tons of growth with your sew-in, seems like those who get a good install and can keep it in for a while do really well with them.

Yessss I love my new dryer (Chi Bling) . I can keep it on the low setting and get great results and it drastically cuts down my air dry time with maybe 5 passes per large section.

I like Silk Dreams but it may not be 100% natural but it is high quality natural ingredients and a few key synthetics to supercharge their effectiveness. In general those are the type of products I like, I don't go out of my way to try purely "natural" products unless a lot of people are singing their praises cause I have products with 'cones and sulfates that I love. I really like Claudie's line because her products are seriously effective and the variety and quality of her ingredients is ridiculous. There are other mostly natural based lines that some relaxed heads like - She Scent It, Bee Mine, Hairveda, etc. Just check out the Vendor forum or the Use 1 Buy 1 Thread to stir your inner PJ :lol:

ETA: My regimen is fairly simple: Wash or co-wash every 3-5 days depending how far into the stretch I am. I don't do special DC sessions, just use good conditioners. I t-shirt dry and either blow dry or immediately set my hair into a high bun, 2 bantu knots, or a few twists/braids.

On a daily basis I rub a combination of Claudie's Temple Balm + Rusk Smoother or Silk Elements leave-in around my edges/nape and use the same combo on my ends. I set my hair at night in either a high loose bun, 2 bantu knots, or a few twists (love twist-outs deeper in the stretch).

As far as moisture/protein balance I really on the small amounts of mild protein in my daily leave-ins and use a protein shampoo or condish every 2 weeks.

Last edited:
divachyk Are you coming to Jax anytime soon bc I need my hair flat ironed? LOL Sorry, I'm having a moment. I so don't feel like doing it but I need to update my pics.

divachyk - TeeSGee – Thank you!!!! :bighug:

TeeSGee – I am starting to think it may have been an expired relaxer, my hair has never been like this before :look: I bought it from a Food Lion and I should have known better, they probably don’t sell relaxers regularly. I will now only buy relaxers from Sally’s , lol

Touch up day today. I used Profectiv super strength. I sectioned into about 30 pieces. I overlapped unfortunately especially at the back. I forgot to base my scalp but I didn't experience any burning. By tomorrow Ill evaluate if I have any underprocessed areas.

mamaore,

Hey girl! Glad to see your post: I was wondering whether you'd managed to touch up. Sorry to hear about the overlapping, but have you had a chance to assess the damage, if any? How about the rest of your hair? Was it processed enough? Do you have any pixs:poke:

Anyway, I'm still hanging in here at 14.5 weeks post. Will either touch up this weekend or next weekend. (I've been saying this for the past couple of weeks though...) Part of the problem is I'm torn between whether I want to self-relax and risk both overlapping my relaxed end and under-processing my new growth. Or whether I want to take the risk of going to a salon and having someone else screw up my hair?

What would you do? Am so conflicted...

Last edited:
Raspberry;15857297 @[URL="http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=311845" said:
xu93texas[/URL] I hope you see tons of growth with your sew-in, seems like those who get a good install and can keep it in for a while do really well with them.

Yes, I hope do see lots of growth as well.

I like Silk Dreams but it may not be 100% natural but it is high quality natural ingredients and a few key synthetics to supercharge their effectiveness. In general those are the type of products I like, I don't go out of my way to try purely "natural" products unless a lot of people are singing their praises cause I have products with 'cones and sulfates that I love. I really like Claudie's line because her products are seriously effective and the variety and quality of her ingredients is ridiculous. There are other mostly natural based lines that some relaxed heads like - She Scent It, Bee Mine, Hairveda, etc. Just check out the Vendor forum or the Use 1 Buy 1 Thread to stir your inner PJ :lol:

Yes, I like the Bee Mine moisturizers. Shescentit is on my wishlist. I've heard good things about the Claudie line. I see I have more research to do. :grin:

ETA: My regimen is fairly simple: Wash or co-wash every 3-5 days depending how far into the stretch I am. I don't do special DC sessions, just use good conditioners. I t-shirt dry and either blow dry or immediately set my hair into a high bun, 2 bantu knots, or a few twists/braids.

On a daily basis I rub a combination of Claudie's Temple Balm + Rusk Smoother or Silk Elements leave-in around my edges/nape and use the same combo on my ends. I set my hair at night in either a high loose bun, 2 bantu knots, or a few twists (love twist-outs deeper in the stretch).

As far as moisture/protein balance I really on the small amounts of mild protein in my daily leave-ins and use a protein shampoo or condish every 2 weeks.

Thanks for your regimen. It looks solid and simple. Once this sew in is out , my goal is to KISS with my hair regimen.

Hello all,

I am hoping that some one can help me!! I've always kept track of my touch up days (I use a texturizer). unfortunately I ha to hard reset my phone an lost all info, including when I had my last touch up!!
Can any one suggest what to look for when deciding its time for a touch up ??!!! Thx

AvaBhair said:
Hello all,

I am hoping that some one can help me!! I've always kept track of my touch up days (I use a texturizer). unfortunately I ha to hard reset my phone an lost all info, including when I had my last touch up!!
Can any one suggest what to look for when deciding its time for a touch up ??!!! Thx

Where you can barely get the comb through , better to do it later than early

Update#2

I will be stretching for 35 weeks, just had my hair put in Singalese twist and I will be hiding my hair until my Birthday in October!!!!!!!

13 weeks post relaxer

@mamaore,

Hey girl! Glad to see your post: I was wondering whether you'd managed to touch up. Sorry to hear about the overlapping, but have you had a chance to assess the damage, if any? How about the rest of your hair? Was it processed enough? Do you have any pixs:poke:

Anyway, I'm still hanging in here at 14.5 weeks post. Will either touch up this weekend or next weekend. (I've been saying this for the past couple of weeks though...) Part of the problem is I'm torn between whether I want to self-relax and risk both overlapping my relaxed end and under-processing my new growth. Or whether I want to take the risk of going to a salon and having someone else screw up my hair?

What would you do? Am so conflicted...

Dargrl, Sorry I was MIA for a bit. I haven't seen any damage yet. Normal shedding and minimal breakage. I am yet to bring the breakage under control. This is something I have struggled with since 2008 that I started regrowing my hair.

I just added pics to my avatar and signature. My signature shows the breakage at the back of my head that I'm gradually nursing back to health. (Note to self: Affirm relaxer is the devil) I has significant breakage and thinning in the area.:nono:

My avatar is 1 week post relaxer pic. I see retention from the last time I Tu'd so that's good. I need to trim those ends though. I'm gradually trimming away the damage. My last trim was 14 wks ago. I'm trimming this week for sure. I'll get a blunt cut when the shorter side reaches APL.

This is the only thread I feel comfortable asking this question. I am due for a T/U on this Saturday but I went for a shampoo last Saturday and decided to take a few pics of my hair afterwards. Please excuse the fat:blush:. My roots have been blowdried so the new growth is a little soft and straight. Can you tell me if I am at APL? Please be brutally honest.

ETA: My signature pic is from January. I can say that I have seen an improvement in thickness since then!

Attachments

• DSCN0220.jpg
    DSCN0220.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0217.jpg
    DSCN0217.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
This is the only thread I feel comfortable asking this question. I am due for a T/U on this Saturday but I went for a shampoo last Saturday and decided to take a few pics of my hair afterwards. Please excuse the fat:blush:. My roots have been blowdried so the new growth is a little soft and straight. Can you tell me if I am at APL? Please be brutally honest.

ETA: My signature pic is from January. I can say that I have seen an improvement in thickness since then!

@Loving, your hair is beautiful. You're right, your hair appears more thicker than your siggy pic.:grin: Please post pics after your relaxer this weekend.

It looks like you're APL. (just my unprofessional opinion) You'll be full APL in no time. Your hair is beautiful.:yep:

My hurr looks good today!! :lol:

Im wearing a braid out, I tried a different way of doing it last night, I did 4 braids.

I parted my hair down the middle and in the front braided it back and rolled with yellow hard mesh rollers and braided the back downward.

My hair is so wavy.. Will take pics later...

If that description is confusing..im sorry, I parted it 4 ways like you would do with a relaxer,lol

Loving..first off I don't see any fat:nono: I think you are less than an inch away from APL BUT could quite likely be there after your TU this weekend.

Raspberry,

I love your regimen, it's so simple. I can't wait to get some simplicity into my regimen but first I have to use up my massive stash. You know that first year into the HHJ is ruthless, I was jumping on all the bandwagons. No more, i'm KISS for now on.

I took some pics of my new growth the other night. You can tell I've grown since my TU 4 weeks ago. I think my hair is growing fast like it did for my last stretch. It seem the MN is helping with my dandruff and growth.

The funny thing is two people have said something to me about being natural. :perplexed

Last edited:
Ms. Tiki my new growth is pretty obvious too...despite my underprocessed areas i'm having no issues thus far and loving my hair:grin: So much so that I want to wear it out more BUT I'm aiming for WL in 2013 - I need to keep my eye on the prize:yep: Not to mention when my hair is down at work especially I find it annoying after the first hour or so:ohwell:

Nix08 you sound like me. I want to have a down for a bit but I know that's not the best thing to do. I wanted to be WL by July but I'm not sure how close I will be. I think somewhere around half inch to 1" away. I know I should be there by my bday in Sept. So, I will continue to keep her in hiding. I was looking forward to summertime scrunch and gos

Inspired by divachyk to do a braid out & I LOVE IT! I moisturized dirty hair with Alberta V05 strawberries & champagne condish & sealed with Sally's GVP chi silk infusion knockoff. Then I sectioned my hair into 3, 1 to the back & 1 on each side then i did 3 Dutch braids & attached rollers on the ends. I took a hot jacuzzi bath after this to steam in the braids. Slept on it overnite. Undid braids just now & was pleasantly surprised. My hair is SO MOISTURIZED!

Here's the side view & back view

Attachments

• image-3063250140.jpg
    image-3063250140.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 33
  • image-164456554.jpg
    image-164456554.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 45
bebezazueta - beautiful braidout!

It's so humid here today, I decided to do one as well because I know better than to try any other type of curl!

ForumRunner_20120508_110704.jpg

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

@Raspberry,

I love your regimen, it's so simple. I can't wait to get some simplicity into my regimen but first I have to use up my massive stash. You know that first year into the HHJ is ruthless, I was jumping on all the bandwagons. No more, i'm KISS for now on.

@KiWiStyle Good, I hope you find the right regimen for you! I know what you mean about having a stash, I still feel the need to try something new once in a while just 'cause - the pretty jars stay callin' me. I've been doing much better this year though, maybe one new product per month. ETA: forgot about my Claudie's mini-haul :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back