2012 Relaxed Hair Buddy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm almost 2 weeks post
Stretching until June 29
Recently went back to no lye relaxers. Texlaxing was doing more harm than good for me.

Angelinhell,

Just curious, but what type of hair strands do you have? Fine or coarse? I myself am conflicted on whether I should continue with a no-lye relaxer. Used no-lye for the first time last touch up; prior to that I'd only used lye relaxers.

dargirl said:
Angelinhell,

Just curious, but what type of hair strands do you have? Fine or coarse? I myself am conflicted on whether I should continue with a no-lye relaxer. Used no-lye for the first time last touch up; prior to that I'd only used lye relaxers.

I have course hair. Lye relaxers didn't seem to get my hair straight(although I didn't try many, just mizani bb,silk elements). My last stylist used affirm lye on my hair, but it made my hair thin out(including her other unhealthy hair practices).

Last edited:
KiWiStyle, Raspberry,

It's been a busy week and next week will be busier. How are you ladies doing? What are the weekend hair plans? I'm DC on dry hair right now and I'm determined to rollerset even at this late hour. OK, now for the news: I'm getting my first weave on Wednesday! I'm excited. Lately, I've been passive about my hair and I really don't want to be bothered with it at all. Therefore, I hope this install last at 8 weeks. By that time, I'll be 10 wks into the stretch and will decide then what to do next. Have either of you worn a weave? If so, how was your experience?

xu93texas,

I thought you abandoned me. My hair is doing well and I'm actually excited to see what this stretch brings me. I did notice a few under processed areas but it's not too bad, I just have to be a little extra gentle and attentive back there to keep it properly moisturizer. I like that I'm not bone straight "everywhere", but I did also notice my hair has different textures now due to the relaxer not taking as well but again I'm liking the texture so next time we'll do it on purpose...not textlaxed, not bonelaxed but somewhere in between.

As for the weave, I had an install once and hated it. My head itched like crazy, I hated not touching my scalp and it thinned my hair so weaves nor micro braids are for me but I might get cornrows later in my stretch. I think hiding your hair is a great thing if it keeps your hands out of your hair and you can retain. I don't like wigs either but I will do phony ponytails though.

I plan to dc on dry hair with protein again after I shampoo today and do a moisture dc, I will be doing more cw during the week because my hair loves it and my scalp does to... It's so addictive! What did you dry dc with? Can i dry dc with Joico reconstruct? I want to rollerset too but I'm scared to death, I've got to somehow get over this fear of wet setting, lots of ladies have retained lots of length by doing rollersets. We'll motivate each other, we'll both do, which brings me to, HOW DID THE ROLLERSET GO???

I am 8 weeks post this Tuesday and my new growth is super thick and hard to manage. I am trying to co-wash once a week and shampoo/DC once a week. I am not sure how long I can keep this up. I have recently took to moisturizing with old school curl activator, JBC oil and Amla oil. This has helped but I'm not use to having wet hair daily. Is this really OK? It stays damp or wet all day. I'm soooo ready to relax!! If I was blow drying and flat ironing I think it would be easier to manage.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

So last night, I did the following:

1. Aphogee 2 Min on wet hair
2. Hot Oil Treatment with Vatkia, Olive Oil and Olive Oil
3. Hair One Argan OIl - 30 min
4. Deep Conditioner with Organics Hair Mayo - 30 Min
5. Moisturized with v05 Strawberries and Cream and sealed with Hot 6 OIl
6. Air Dried with Scarf

In braids now, will post pics tomorrow :)

I am currently 13wks/1day post....

I am having my washing session after taking out my sengalese twist after having them in for 8 weeks. I will take some pics either tonight or tomorrow just to have a starting pics.

TTYL ladies....Oh and I still need a buddy :look:, if anyone is 13wks post hit me.

KiWiStyle,
Girl, I'm still here. I just have a lot going on. I'm preparing for an upcoming job interview this week and my dd has a lot of activities/field trips scheduled during the month of April and May.

The rollerset went well and the pincurls came out nice today.:grin: However, it is time consuming! I'll definitely encourage you to rollerset. I love the body and curls.

Once the weave is installed, I'll visit the salon every other week and pincurl or wrap my weave every night. I also plan to do braid outs, bantu knot outs and using the curling iron/flat iron in between salon visits. As for as wigs, I really like them. However, it's getting too hot in Dallas to wear everyday. Therefore, I plan to rock weaves through the summer and switch back to wigs in the fall. We'll see.

I DC on dry hair with Silicon Mix (I'm trying to get rid of) and Alter Ego treatment mixed with hempseed oil and peppermint, rosemary, and eucalyptus oils. I washed with Redken All Soft shampoo and conditioner, and did a mild protein treatment with Aphogee 2 min. reconstructor. I haven't dc'd on dry hair with Joico K-Pak before. I've only used after a shampoo. Let me know how your hair turns out.

xu93texas,
Good luck on your upcoming job interview, I'm sure you'll do great! I did roller set yesterday, but I'm glad I was planning to bum afterwards because although it can our nice and bouncy, I just wasn't happy with it. I plan to continue for the sake of practicing my timing and proper placement. I noticed two mistakes I made so that's progress right there. I really didn't see the continued need to RS and all the manipulation that comes with it just to bun afterwards. I'm going to play it by ear, my nape hair need to grow longer for a better, fuller appearance.

Last edited:
KhandiB Can't wait to see the pics.

I did a Co-wash, spritz with AVJ, applied leave-in and serum then put in a low ponytail using banana clip. when my hair was almost dry, i applied Moisturizier to the length and sealed with Hempseed oil.

6. Air Dried with Scarf

KhandiB said:

6. Air Dried with Scarf

how long have you uses v05 strawberries and cream as a leave in? I love it as a conditioner, does it Work well as leave in?

@Nix08 and @Ms. Tiki -- how are things? Do we have any others that fall into our buddy group? I just don't want to overlook anyone.

divachyk I thought Angelinhell was with us. I'm doing! I did a normal poo, detangle, and condition last night and I got breakage for the first time since I clarified. I'm going to go back to Wen and use that for the rest of the month. I want to see if that was helping b/c I didn't have any breakage when I used that. I'm still getting used to seeing my hair at my MBL fat roll:lachen: Yes, I had a roll that I knew when I hit the bottom of it I was officially MBL. :lachen::lachen:

I just saw a post about WnG season and I'm itching to wash and scrunch. I did a section the other night and it was so pretty.

VK1K - Its great as a leave in.
Not heavy..Im a heat user, so it is good to where it doesnt weight the hair down, has an awesome smell and is silky! Ive been sealing with Hot 6, but will be using Grapeseed oil now.

TeeSGee - When I learn to take better pics...The pics I took you cant even really see the waves. but it looks good, lol

how long have you uses v05 strawberries and cream as a leave in? I love it as a conditioner, does it Work well as leave in?

@Nix08 and @Ms. Tiki -- how are things? Do we have any others that fall into our buddy group? I just don't want to overlook anyone.
Me, I'm in with you guys:hiya:I'm currently 2 weeks and three days post, I was trying to stretch until June 29(we'll see how that goes) I'm back to relaxing my hair straight, so I want to see what is the amount of time I can go between my relaxers without too much trouble(breakage,matting, etc.)

Ms. Tiki, MBL fat roll -- you need to stop :blush: but congrats on the growth & retention. :yep: Perhaps the hair was stripped too much after clarifying. Just a guess. Where did you see the WnG / scrunch method?

Angelinhell, what prompted you to relax straight?

VK1K, I use VO5 MM to wet detangle before applying my DC and like it a lot.

KhandiB, do you dilute your V05 when using it as a LI?

So I have been m&s my hair daily and doing the ghe on it at night, So far so good, I d.c overnight with queen Helene cholesterol with ginseng, coconut oil, peppermint oil, grape seed, Castro oil... I washed my hair out this morning and it literally felt like silk it's so bouncy and shiny!!! One thing that shocked was my new growth... I just relaxed my hair last week Saturday. I literally said wtf out loud when I felt it this morning lol. I believe it's the combination of ghe and this mega tek concoction that I made at the last week.

I showed my mom the new growth and she looked at me with a serious face and asked..... "Are you trying to be Pocahontas?" I just giggled and replied why yes mother I am that got a good chuckle out of her little did she know I'm dead serious lol

KiWiStyle,
Thanks for the encouragement regarding the interview.

As for as rollersetting is concerned, it is way too much work to do just to put your hair in a bun afterwards.:ohwell: I'll be on the sidelines encouraging you if you decide to continue. It took me about 40 mins. to roll my hair and then I was under the dryer for 1 hr.and 10 min. There has to be an easier way. I know it'll get better with practice, but that's time I just don't have anymore. I'm focusing on babying my nape as well. It definitely has the shortest length of hair on my head.

Just think on Thursday we'll be 2 wks post relaxer. Time is going by really fast. I need 2 inches to get to full SL. I hope I can grow and retain that much hair over the next 3 months.

divachyk I used to Wash and scrunch when I was texlaxed before. I finally got to the point where my hair curled so much it looked natural. That was my goal for texlaxing this time around. I was hoping to get that look again minus the bleach blonde hair. I can't wait until my scrunched hair reaches MBL. You won't be able to tell me anything!

Angelinhell Hey! I thought you were with us! I'm texlaxing on the 30th. When it get close you might want to do buns or braidout to get you to the finish line

divachyk, Ms. Tiki, Angelinhell I have been busy reading romance novels, what a shame:lol: I have been taking care of my hair though. I am underprocessed but after my stern talking to by Ms. Tiki I am determined to make it to the end of June. What I recall as a result of reading another thread is that my best relaxer comes when I flat iron my roots first. If I do that for the relaxer at the end of June I should be able to correct what's currently underprocessed and do a good job with the new growth. Ladies please remind me that I've said this:grin:

KhandiB said:
VK1K - Its great as a leave in.
Not heavy..Im a heat user, so it is good to where it doesnt weight the hair down, has an awesome smell and is silky! Ive been sealing with Hot 6, but will be using Grapeseed oil

Ill give that a shot. thanks!

VK1K, I use VO5 MM to wet detangle before applying my DC and like it a lot

I use for Co washing, I hate wet detangling. Ill try this to see if its any less dreadful. Thanks

divachyk - No I dont dilute it

Nix08 - Here are pics of my recent braidout .. my camera isnt taking great pics of my hair since I dyed it black
braidout3.jpg

braidout2.jpg
braidout-1.jpg

@dargirl, I'm 12 weeks post today and I dont think I can hold out anymore.

My hair shed and broke so much on Sunday when I washed despite using Alter Garlic mask on my scalp before I cowashed. I also stopped washing with shampoo in the last 2 wash sessions and honestly I have not noticed a significant difference in shed or broken hairs.
At this point I have come to a conclusion that I have to TU. My next go round, I will only stretch to 10 weeks and evaluate.

I know you said you would like to stretch to 16 weeks, so you may have to look for any buddy @sunnieb can you help.

anyone planning to TU this weekend? any tips. I will be self-relaxing with profectiv no-lye super strength.

KhandiB, nice pichas. Your hair looks great:yep: . I wish my braid out could look so nice and fluffy.

KiWiStyle,
Thanks for the encouragement regarding the interview.

As for as rollersetting is concerned, it is way too much work to do just to put your hair in a bun afterwards.:ohwell: I'll be on the sidelines encouraging you if you decide to continue. It took me about 40 mins. to roll my hair and then I was under the dryer for 1 hr.and 10 min. There has to be an easier way. I know it'll get better with practice, but that's time I just don't have anymore. I'm focusing on babying my nape as well. It definitely has the shortest length of hair on my head.

Just think on Thursday we'll be 2 wks post relaxer. Time is going by really fast. I need 2 inches to get to full SL. I hope I can grow and retain that much hair over the next 3 months.

xu93texas,
The same here...it took me 47 minutes and well over an hour to dry, i'm not feeling that. For now, i'm giving up on roller setting until I get my Pibbs 514 Kwik dry and a little more length. While i'm nursing my nape and the front/middle of my hair to health, i'll be doing inverted french braid down the middle which look way better now that my hair is longer. I can actually braid all the way to the nape without the tension, which as we know is breakage city. Since I moisturized and sealed last night, this morning I just braided and misted with Darcy's Botanical leave-in spray. I'm going to wear my silk scarf around the house to retain my moisture but only when DH isn't here, he like to see hair neatly done, up or down, lol.

New for this stretch:
- I changed my hair vitamins from Nioxin to phyto just before my relaxer so i'm praying my growth doesn't slow any.
- I upped my scalp massaging to every night or every other night for about 5 mins or so.
- I've also started taking Niacin to increase my circulation.
- I won't be opening my car's sun roof until after the sun starts to set, I imagine the high heat from the sun is a killer on my fine strands.
- I want to try the bi-weekly cw in addition to my weekly moisturizing shampoo.
- Heavy ceramide oil prepoo usage; Grapeseed, Hemp and safflower. I have to remember to get the hemp from the fridge to use with the others.
- Lots and lots of finger combing/styling.

IKR, 2 weeks post!! 2 more inches and I will be grazing APL but I won't call it until my hair naturally falls at APL, not stretched. So possibly my last relaxer of the year should do. I'm in no rush at all, just happy to finally be seeing progress after all the hard work and money put in to my HHJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back