2012 Relaxed Hair Buddy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ladies!

I hope I'm not too late to get a buddy as I really need the motivation right now. Don't like how flat and lifeless my fine hair looks. Am having homicidal thoughts of chopping it all off :(

How many weeks post are you right now?
11 weeks

How long are you stretching?
I am supposed to stretch to at least 16 weeks. If my hair continues behaving, I'll play it by ear and take it week by week.

Any other info?
Although I know that braiding (box braids, small cornrows) isn't necessarily the best thing for my fine hair, I always resort to it once I feel overwhelmed by work/life. Luckily, my edges and nape are full and healthy. I just get depressed at how thin my hair looks after I take down the braids. Mind you, I think the thinness is just a fact of life given my fine hair. I don't really get breakage unless I've been neglecting my hair.

Am confused about whether I should continue texlaxing my hair or strive for straight hair. But I've noticed that the dissatisfaction with the thickness of my hair started once I began trying to relax straight. Was much happier with its density when I was lightly texlaxed.

Have been self-relaxing for 1.5 years, but am not really good at it and am debating whether I should just go to a stylist for touch-ups. I always under-process my hair and i'm really slow; I can't retouch my entire head under 35min. Can't imagine splitting up the process since I'm sure i'd get the other half wet; besides, relaxer day is already such an ordeal.

Guess this is just a plea for help by a frustrated, texlaxed 4b who feels like throwing in the towel!

@dagirl, :yep: I need a buddy too. I am 11 weeks post too. I also have fine hair.

I don't think I can stretch to 16 weeks though... that's too far out for me. I just dont think I can handle the new growth, crazy tangles and shedding. :nono: :nono:

I initially planned to stretch to 12 weeks and it looks like I will make it.:yay: I will re-evaluate by the end of next week whether to touch-up or continue my stretch.:yep:

BTW ladies, I'm loving Elucence moisture balance condish. That stuff is the B.O.M.B:notworthy

shortdub78 Do you have enough new growth to relax? Why not go to a stylist for a good shampoo and rollerset and see if that makes a difference? I am afraid that relaxing so early may cause you more harm in the future. What do you think?

shortdub78 Do you have enough new growth to relax? Why not go to a stylist for a good shampoo and rollerset and see if that makes a difference? I am afraid that relaxing so early may cause you more harm in the future. What do you think?

my new growth is out of control. i have about 1/2 or more. close to an inch. i am seeing breakage in the crown area as well. i might have my friend who is a stylist check my hair out to see what direction should i go in. i don't do very much to my hair and i try to moisturize it as much as possible, but my texture is super coilier than my relaxed ends.

shortdub78 ok, I hope it works out for you. Remember that Suave Almond and Shea Butter shampoo I used Saturday? It made my hair feel super soft. Maybe you could try it. This is the softest my NG has ever felt.

shortdub78 ok, I hope it works out for you. Remember that Suave Almond and Shea Butter shampoo I used Saturday? It made my hair feel super soft. Maybe you could try it. This is the softest my NG has ever felt.

i was thinking about getting that, but i got that HE conditioner. but i will try it and see. wanna try that Creme of Nature Argan Oil leave-in spray too. right now, my hair feels good. especially after trimming some more, but i gotta get this new growth under control. it is just so dry. no matter what i use.

shortdub78 My natural hair is very coily too - coffee stirrer sized -and my new growth responds well to water based and creamy moisturizers, but not to oil really. Have you tried S-curl type products on damp hair? Those work for me... even better when I mix a watery moisturizer with a cream together on my NG

shortdub78 My natural hair is very coily too - coffee stirrer sized -and my new growth responds well to water based and creamy moisturizers, but not to oil really. Have you tried S-curl type products on damp hair? Those work for me... even better when I mix a watery moisturizer with a cream together on my NG

yeah i have tried that before and it didn't respond well with my hair. it made it feel sticky. if i use something watery, i have to use it sparely.

do you use this on dry hair? do you literally mix it with a cream? i have some Hawaiian Silky 14n1. i kinda like that, but it ended up doing the same thing. it was so hard trying to figure out how to moisturize my natural hair too. something seemed like it would work at first, but then it would just cause buildup.

i'm realizing my hair doesn't like a lot of product on it. it responds better with a good moisturizing shampoo/dc/leave-in and left alone only spraying some kind of oil on it until wash day. all of these moisturizers cause buildup and breakage after awhile.

I did a DC on dry hair with Kenra MC mixed with Sebastain Penetraitt, rinsed apply AVJ then Herbal essence Hydralicious and co-washed it out. My hair feels so moisturized and soft, lost literally one strand of hair which was in the drain catcher and i detangled with my Herucles jumbo rake and 1974 comb and lost no hair. Currently air drying and my air dried hair has never felt this amazing before.

btw im 3 days post and i don't know where my hair buddy is @ nazjha . Where u @ girl?

omgeeeeeee, you left me in the dust?? I had no idea you relaxed or had plans to. What changed that you pushed the date up??

KhandiB said:
Sure I will buddy with Mznelly

Hey!! :wave:

Hey buddy :)

TeeSGee said:
[QUOTE[/URL]15745873]Sure I will buddy with @Mznelly

Hey!! :wave:

Hey Buddy @KhandiB and welcome @Mznelly.

ETA: How long do u ladies stretch for?[/QUOTE]

I want to stretch at least 16 weeks perhaps longer, before starting my hair journey I was addicted to weaves and would keep them on my head for four to five months at a time.... So I've never stretched a relaxer commando but my edges are shot and I have those tall tale bald spots. So weave and I are getting a divorce.... irreconcilable differences.

How long do you stretch for?

Last edited:
I need a buddy. I am 9.5 weeks post and I will be relaxing next week(I think). 10 weeks was my original plan, I guess I need to stick to that.

@Mznelly my last stretch was 17 wks, im thinking of going for 12 wks this go around, but if at 12 wks my NG is manageable then i'll continue with the stretch.

I'm also working on my edges, its not horrible, but i was way thicker and healthier before. i don't even really know what happened to them. I've been using JBCO but i'm not consistent :ohwell:

Hey buddy :)

Hey Buddy @KhandiB and welcome @Mznelly.

ETA: How long do u ladies stretch for?

I want to stretch at least 16 weeks perhaps longer, before starting my hair journey I was addicted to weaves and would keep them on my head for four to five months at a time.... So I've never stretched a relaxer commando but my edges are shot and I have those tall tale bald spots. So weave and I are getting a divorce.... irreconcilable differences.

How long do you stretch for?[/QUOTE]

Loving
well i relaxed girl! :lol: i couldn't take it anymore. but i did go out and buy the products you suggested as well as the Creme of Nature Argan Oil leave-in. i am in the process of flat ironing my hair now. but i still want us to be buddies.

yeah i have tried that before and it didn't respond well with my hair. it made it feel sticky. if i use something watery, i have to use it sparely.

do you use this on dry hair? do you literally mix it with a cream? i have some Hawaiian Silky 14n1. i kinda like that, but it ended up doing the same thing. it was so hard trying to figure out how to moisturize my natural hair too. something seemed like it would work at first, but then it would just cause buildup.

i'm realizing my hair doesn't like a lot of product on it. it responds better with a good moisturizing shampoo/dc/leave-in and left alone only spraying some kind of oil on it until wash day. all of these moisturizers cause buildup and breakage after awhile.

shortdub78 Even though glycerin based products like S-curl work for many, I personally prefer aloe based leave-ins like Rusk Smoother or Giovanni Direct - I like how my hair absorbs them without the sticky residue. I literally scoop a little Rusk and some creamy leave-in and rub my hands together, that's as complicated as my mixing gets :lol:. The balance of the liquid and creme make my hair feel silky, softens my new growth, and lays my edges down. I apply it on dry hair because there is enough water in the liquid leave-in to help the product absorb well.

@shortdub78 U sure left me alone! :grin: But sure we can still be buddies! Where are the pics? Did you have good retention?

Loving
i had my SO take a pic last night. i just have to download it. the relaxer came out fine. . i trimmed another 1/8-1/4 inch off, so i have cut about 2 inches since thursday. i hate i lost a lot of length, but from all of that damage from the protein overload/tangling/detangling issues, i needed it. i think i am a little longer than my siggy pic, but i think i would make APL until July/Aug.

i need to tweak my reggie. i may go back to shampoo/dc, rollersetting, and then bunning. the airdrying loose was ok, but i need my ends to be smoother. i'm going to try Rasberry's method when my new growth kicks in again.

Sanity, u could also buddy up with shortdub78 she just relaxed too!

hey lady, we can be buddies! i just relaxed last night. i am trying to make it to APL. maybe you can help me get there, since you are closing in on full BSL?

i have fine medium dense strands. i am working on a new reggie now to keep my ends healthy. i just cut off about 2 inches, so i would have been APL but now. really back in March, but i cut off an inch around the time too.

what are your methods for stretching and keeping your ends healthy/retention?

Raspberry,

I decided to take your advice and did a mild protein treatment earlier in the week and what a difference that made!! My hair is much stronger and now i'm not plagued with breakage, especially those tiny little annoying end pieces, ugh. How's your hair doing? I'm implementing more cowashes into my regimen, my hair really like water and the extra moisture. I would do them everyday if I could.

shortdub78 Hello!! I will gladly be your buddy!!:grin:

I have fine/medium strands medium density hair. I bun alot (ponytails) to help me stretch (I relax anywhere between 8-10) My hair tends to break when I have too much newgrowth:ohwell: so I am now doing protien treatments on top of bi weekely co washing and deep conditioning (or I will alternate) I also had to trim off a inch of hair to keep my ends together.. I had layers so they are still growing out!!.. here is a pic i took yesterday.. I only blowdried not straightened to show my "real length"

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL766/13330122/23961007/402194172.jpg

shortdub78 Hello!! I will gladly be your buddy!!:grin:

I have fine/medium strands medium density hair. I bun alot (ponytails) to help me stretch (I relax anywhere between 8-10) My hair tends to break when I have too much newgrowth:ohwell: so I am now doing protien treatments on top of bi weekely co washing and deep conditioning (or I will alternate) I also had to trim off a inch of hair to keep my ends together.. I had layers so they are still growing out!!.. here is a pic i took yesterday.. I only blowdried not straightened to show my "real length"

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL766/13330122/23961007/402194172.jpg

i am going to go back to light protein treatments. i like Joico. i used that after i rinsed out my relaxer. i like the Aphogee 2 min too. i will never use the Aphogee 2 step again.
i sprayed some of that Creme Of Nature Argan Oil leave-in and used some Hawaiian Silky mixed with distilled water, and sealed with jojoba oil. i am going to try that moisture and seal method and see how my hair responds to that.

Raspberry
i am going to get some Giovanni direct leave-in. i used that some a few years ago. no complaints from me, but i was natural. i used it when i had a fade. it made my coilies pop.

KiWiStyle, Raspberry,

It's been a busy week and next week will be busier. How are you ladies doing? What are the weekend hair plans? I'm DC on dry hair right now and I'm determined to rollerset even at this late hour. OK, now for the news: I'm getting my first weave on Wednesday! I'm excited. Lately, I've been passive about my hair and I really don't want to be bothered with it at all. Therefore, I hope this install last at 8 weeks. By that time, I'll be 10 wks into the stretch and will decide then what to do next. Have either of you worn a weave? If so, how was your experience?

xu93texas said:
KiWiStyle, Raspberry,

It's been a busy week and next week will be busier. How are you ladies doing? What are the weekend hair plans? I'm DC on dry hair right now and I'm determined to rollerset even at this late hour. OK, now for the news: I'm getting my first weave on Wednesday! I'm excited. Lately, I've been passive about my hair and I really don't want to be bothered with it at all. Therefore, I hope this install last at 8 weeks. By that time, I'll be 10 wks into the stretch and will decide then what to do next. Have either of you worn a weave? If so, how was your experience?

I have never worn a weave but know it won't agree with my hair, my hair needs to be able to be moisturizer daily in order to avoid breakage do it wouldn't be for me

I have never worn a weave but know it won't agree with my hair, my hair needs to be able to be moisturizer daily in order to avoid breakage do it wouldn't be for me

I feel you about moisturizing your hair daily.:grin: It's definitely going to take some getting used to not having my hands in my hair. However, at this point of my hair journey, I'm so ready for a break so I can reach my next hair goal and keep my hands out of my hair.

I've done tons of research about taking care of my hair while wearing a weave. You can still moisturize your hair (cornrows) and I'll be doing so every other night and will be going to the salon every 2 weeks so they can wash, condition, and style the weave.

xu93texas said:
I feel you about moisturizing your hair daily.:grin: It's definitely going to take some getting used to not having my hands in my hair. However, at this point of my hair journey, I'm so ready for a break so I can reach my next hair goal and keep my hands out of my hair.

I've done tons of research about taking care of my hair while wearing a weave. You can still moisturize your hair (cornrows) and I'll be doing so every other night and will be going to the salon every 2 weeks so they can wash, condition, and style the weave.

Ok, good luck! :)

@dagirl, :yep: I need a buddy too. I am 11 weeks post too. I also have fine hair.

I don't think I can stretch to 16 weeks though... that's too far out for me. I just dont think I can handle the new growth, crazy tangles and shedding. :nono: :nono:

I initially planned to stretch to 12 weeks and it looks like I will make it.:yay: I will re-evaluate by the end of next week whether to touch-up or continue my stretch.:yep:

BTW ladies, I'm loving Elucence moisture balance condish. That stuff is the B.O.M.B:notworthy

mamaore,

Am so excited: I finally have a hair buddy! Yeah, am re-thinking the 16 weeks; it seems kinda ambitious especially since I was incredibly hair lazy last week.

Do you self-relax or go to the salon? Are you texlaxed? Relaxed straight?

Have you tried Motions CPR Treatment (jar, not bottle) to combat shedding? I finally tried it for the first time last week and it stopped the shedding in its tracks. Wonder what took me so long; it really does work! The shedding's stopped and my hair came out smooth, strong, soft and detangled. That's pretty impressive for 12 weeks! Just make sure to use a moisturizing instant conditioner after it (I used Garnier Triple Nutrition).

Am now pre-pooing my hair with ORS Replenishing before I use Roux Porosity Control Shampoo on my scalp. Have only used the Roux Porosity poo a few times but each time my hair come out soft and detangled. I really need that now.

If you can, hang in there a bit longer girl! I could do with the company :lachen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back