2012 HYH Challenge (Jan 1st - June 30th)

I just finished my mini twists and I'll be keeping them in for a month. Im actually very pleased with them, the camera doesn't capture them well but I like them HOWEVER I know i'll miss playing with my "out" hair. :ohwell:
photo2-3.jpg

photo1-5.jpg

photo42-2.jpg

Hi ladies,

Sooo my original plan for this was to do twists for 2 weeks and wear them up when I go out. But these twists look a hot mess after baggying for one night! And they shrunk a lot since I have been spraying them! ugh.

I also need to find a better moisturizer for my ends.

I'm also thinking that maybe I will go to blowdrying my hair once a month and bunning the whole time? I HAVE to do something about these SSK's. They're out of control.

Sorry for rambling lol. Idk if this even makes sense!

@Ms_CoCo37 I just in sowwy LOL

You got some great choices :)

No worries. @NikkiQ took good care of us. I knew one of you would respond quickly. :grin:

Hi ladies,

Sooo my original plan for this was to do twists for 2 weeks and wear them up when I go out. But these twists look a hot mess after baggying for one night! And they shrunk a lot since I have been spraying them! ugh.

I also need to find a better moisturizer for my ends.

I'm also thinking that maybe I will go to blowdrying my hair once a month and bunning the whole time? I HAVE to do something about these SSK's. They're out of control.

Sorry for rambling lol. Idk if this even makes sense!

You're not rambling at all. What kind of moisturizer are you using? Do you seal your ends after moisturizing? If so, what are you sealing with? I like sealing with castor oil, olive oil, and/or amla oil. I like to alternate.:yep: Also, next time try lightly misting your twists with water, sealing and dry baggying. That's how I'm able to salvage my twists.:yep:

Like 12 hours the first day and 2 hours this morning. But I was watching movies, and tweeting which slowed me down.

Girl, you are a good one! I would have a half done head.:lol: Nice job!

Last edited:
I had my weave installed today. The hair is a really good match to my own hair color, thank goodness. It's exactly the length that I am trying to grow my hair to (MBL), so I already love it. I also scheduled my appointment for my next install so I will have no reason not to consistently PS in 2012.

No worries.

You're not rambling at all. What kind of moisturizer are you using? Do you seal your ends after moisturizing? If so, what are you sealing with? I like sealing with castor oil, olive oil, and/or amla oil. I like to alternate.:yep: Also, next time try lightly misting your twists with water, sealing and dry baggying. That's how I'm able to salvage my twists.:yep:

I'm using shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie... I may switch to the deep treatment masque though! And I am sealing with coconut oil. I may need somthing heavier! Perhaps I'm just heavy handed with the spraying lol :lachen: cuz I'm doing exactly what you said! lol. I'll try castor oil I think.

Thanks! :)

Curly Lee I love your mini twists!

This is so cute! I definitely need to learn more updo's as I cant wear my hair down for work.
If you check her out on youtube she has quite a few and tutorials. I'm not at that skill level though. Her 2 min bun though i can do and it's pretty easy.

brg240, that's really pretty! Are you using ponytail holders for your pigtails?
Yes I am. The pigtails are pretty close together and then i take another ponytail holder and put them together closer so they are like 1" apart.

I didn't do the best job today, you could see the band but i'd already pined it and I didn't feel like redoing it. :look: Also the right side is blocked a tad, it's a bit more symmetrical in person. it looks kinda crazy in the photo.
bun.jpg

edit: i redid it and it turned out better way better but even when i lighten it you can't make out the bun :(

bunbun.jpg

Last edited:
I just realized how much my hair has grown. These braids get oiled and GHE every night and is always hidden under my wig. They were braided on Dec.14th

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1325902871840.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325902871840.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 55
  • uploadfromtaptalk1325902914844.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325902914844.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 50
  • uploadfromtaptalk1325902965358.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325902965358.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 51
  • uploadfromtaptalk1325903024778.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325903024778.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 46
I'm actually tired of wearing Tammy:sad: I need some variety in my life!

Unfortunately, I'm committed to wearing EACH WIG that I have until they cannot be worn anymore before I change. This way, I can use up the 15 or so hair pieces that I have before I buy anymore or before my hair gets too long for them.

So guess I'll be in Tammy for a few more weeks.

I just redid my braids. I had them in for about 2 weeks but the parts weren't straight and I was getting some matting so they had to go. I'm trying the finger combing only method and I may have to give it up because it took all day to detangle and put 35 flipping plaits in my hair. -__- I'm going to attempt to leave this set in for 4 weeks. I'm going to order an afro wig at some point, but until them I'm bunning or wearing a baseball hat.

One of my short pieces (I have ramdom tufts of short hair all over) is growing in nicely. Little Numbkins grew about 1/2" in 2 weeks. :grin: He's still got a lot of catching up to do because it's still less than 2" long. :lol:

The good thing about finger combing is I had mostly shed hair and few broken ones. I want to incorporate GHE but my hair is easily over moisturized so I'm on the fence about it.

count me in! I'm going to PS with the use of weaves & wigs. I got a full sew in right before Christmas so I don't have a before pic, but I'll post a pic when I take my weave out to get redone.

I plan on keeping in my sew-in for about 2-3 months, then taking a 2-3 week break and using wigs on the breaks

my reggie is going to be MT mixed with evco on scalp at least 3x's/wk, GHE at night, & DC weekly

I'm really hoping to get to WL & increase my thickness by this time next year. I'm somewhere btwn APL & BSL, but I'll check for sure when I take my sew in out & do a length check

happy hair growing ladies!
Sent from my Nexus S 4G

I'm actually tired of wearing Tammy:sad: I need some variety in my life!

Unfortunately, I'm committed to wearing EACH WIG that I have until they cannot be worn anymore before I change. This way, I can use up the 15 or so hair pieces that I have before I buy anymore or before my hair gets too long for them.

So guess I'll be in Tammy for a few more weeks.

LaFemmeNaturelle you and me both :) I feel so much better that someone else is wearing it until it is Dead LOL.

I am so ready to press the submit button. I really want to decrease my stash of wigs :) and supplies :)

I have washed my hair, I did not like the Kerapro Conditioner at all :/

So I will try one more time before taking the new one back and using this for something else.

I washed my hair it was much better. I did a Kerapro treatment can you say NO way, afterwards I did a DRC and my hair felt better LOL, then I used in small sections Alter Ego Garlic and Proclaim Hydrating mask. My hair felt a lot better and put it back under my wig :) whew nice.

11 weeks post relaxer and braided back up. I'm super happy with this set. They are very tiny though.

Attachments

• IMG_20120107_195528.jpg
    IMG_20120107_195528.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20120107_201001.jpg
    IMG_20120107_201001.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 38
I just took my weave down and will be wearing a mid-length curly wig for a while - don't know for how long yet though. I do like the wig so it may be another 2-4 weeks before I get another weave installed.

ms.tatiana I've used that hair before (Outre ?) I like it also. I think I'm going to try it again. I was trying to avoid getting bangs but that's the only style I like while wearing straigt hair. Thanks.

@ojemba

I'm using Remi Velvet hair in a 10 inch and 12 inch, both packs are used hair and this is about the 3rd install for the 12 and 2nd for the 10. It looks really good and its easy to wash and condition. I got them on sale on amazon.

Morning Ladies!

Nothing new to report. I'm sporting a raggedy house bun today.:look: I keep dancing around washing my hair, but it's wet and dreary outside, so I don't have much motivation.:yawn:

Anywho, I really want to either try winona's pretty braided bun,:lick: or do my two strand twists. Speaking of which, I made an attempt at making that flaxseed gel...can you say EPIC FAIL?:nono: I had some milled flaxseed that I needed to use up, but I guess they need to be whole in order for it to come out the right consistency, because mine turned out to be a sticky soupy mess.:look:

I'm going to make another attempt once I get more flaxseed.

I think ima take a break from wigs for a while, i miss my hair. Im going to do some buns, i think for a little while.

I just put this set of Senegalese twists in & I already want them out !!! Maybe if I wash & condition them this weekend && play with pinning them up different ways I'll be less antsy. Or I could just give in to wanting to attempt a full weave & take them out this weekend. :look:

How do you ladies keep protective styles in for extended periods? After two weeks I'm annoyed with my twists/braids/wigs; by the four week mark I'm at my wits end.

Also, I haven't read through the entire thread so please forgive me if these questions have been answered already, but are the (3) passes we received just for using heat or for wearing "out" styles periodically? If passes do allow for "out" styles (twist outs/roller sets/braid & curls) how long can we rock the style before the pass expires?

TIA !!

Last edited:
I just put this set of Senegalese twists in & I already want them out !!! Maybe if I wash & condition them this weekend && play with pinning them up different ways I'll be less antsy. Or I could just give in to wanting to attempt a full weave & take them out this weekend. :look:

How do you ladies keep protective styles in for extended periods? After two weeks I'm annoyed with my twists/braids/wigs; by the four week mark I'm at my wits end.

I am also newly in senegalese twists, and often suffer from HIH (hand in hair) ... :spinning: Maybe we can inspire each other to keep the twists in for a while... (till march 4 me). How long were you ideally going to keep yours in for?

I am also newly in senegalese twists, and often suffer from HIH (hand in hair) ... :spinning: Maybe we can inspire each other to keep the twists in for a while... (till march 4 me). How long were you ideally going to keep yours in for?

Being realistic, I was only going to force myself (:drunk:) to wear this set of twists until February 10th which makes six weeks from the date I started to install them lol !!!

The only thing I know to do to keep me from taking out braids prematurely is to wash them regularly so my scalp doesn't get irritated && to refresh loose twists periodically; the issue comes when I don't feel like redoing any twists & my hair starts looking raggedy (to me at least).

What do you do to prolong installs ?

Back