2011 Hide Your Hair Challenge Part 3 (July 1st - Dec. 31st)

Still wet bunning everyday and wrapping a wet n wavy track around my baby bunnytail :)

phpRcoLfTPM.jpg

Last edited:
Ladies i need some product advice.
I see so many shiny pulled back buns but no matter what product in put in my hair it dries dull looking. Gels really dry my hair out so i'm looking for some kind of pomade i can use to slick my hair back - wet or dry.

Oh and no, i don't need to clarify and i deep condish alot, my hair is well moisturised but it needs some help in the shine department.

Bublin:
Hmmmm... my hair gets pretty shiny with just gel alone. Have you tried applying the gel on damp/dry hair? My hair is definitely shinier when I use it on hair that isn't wet. I have no idea why.
Other than that, when I slick my mom's back, her hair won't get as shiny, but I add some Donna Marie Coconut Glaze pomade on top and that adds a nice shine.
I know that pomade is starting to sell out, though, if it isn't already.
One other thing you might want to try is Uncle Funky's Daughter Glossy spray. I used that on some old mini-twists I did and it made them really shiny.

Ooh after seeing the reveals, I am sooo in! Never hid my hair before so this will be interesting. I will alternate between bunning and corn rows.

I'm currently between BSL & MBL and 3 inches from WL!

I want to reveal WL hair in December.

Thanks for the inspiration ladies. Off to post my starting pic

@Bublin:
Hmmmm... my hair gets pretty shiny with just gel alone. Have you tried applying the gel on damp/dry hair? My hair is definitely shinier when I use it on hair that isn't wet. I have no idea why.
Other than that, when I slick my mom's back, her hair won't get as shiny, but I add some Donna Marie Coconut Glaze pomade on top and that adds a nice shine.
I know that pomade is starting to sell out, though, if it isn't already.
One other thing you might want to try is Uncle Funky's Daughter Glossy spray. I used that on some old mini-twists I did and it made them really shiny.

Thanks hun.
I try gel on both wet and dry hair then tie it down for a good while. Whilst i get it pretty slick it looks dull and dry and not at all shiny like yours.
Unfortunately i cannot get any of those products in the UK.
I know i need to try a pomade but all of the ones recommended here are not available in the UK.
I was just watching Youtube vids and some ladies are using good ole grease (Dax) to slick their hair back.

Bublin I too use gel (ecostyler or flax seed if I am not lazy)

I apply about 1oz to the entire perimeter of my Damp not wet or dry hair

So this is exactly what I do
Wash/CoWash
DC
Rinse
Apply Leave in and sealant
let hair dry mostly in banana clip bun
While it is still damp or just lightly rewet with water
Apply Gel and satin scarf to lay my hair down

Outcome soft shiny hair

I think I will join this challenge.

I did my very first flexirod set on my hair today, and I am absolutely in love with it (and the fact that I don't have to pay $75 to do it :look: )

It hides my length (APL) so well. Keeps the hair off the shoulders. I will be doing wet sets until I can't take it anymore..and hopefully that will be in december :lol:

Thanks hun.
I try gel on both wet and dry hair then tie it down for a good while. Whilst i get it pretty slick it looks dull and dry and not at all shiny like yours.
Unfortunately i cannot get any of those products in the UK.
I know i need to try a pomade but all of the ones recommended here are not available in the UK.
I was just watching Youtube vids and some ladies are using good ole grease (Dax) to slick their hair back.

Try putting a layer of oil right on top of the gel. Maybe a ceramide oil. That might work!

Last edited:
I love this :yep: I will do my hair like this on vacation later this month. Well if I don't reset my hair by then.

Aww. Thanks!
It's so easy. Just pin it around in the morning.
I'll probably try some different hair with it at some point but I am expecting this track to last about 3 months before having to cut off another piece from the pack, so I think I'll be set with the two packs I have for a looong time until I start wearing my own wet bun.

Aww. Thanks!
It's so easy. Just pin it around in the morning.
I'll probably try some different hair with it at some point but I am expecting this track to last about 3 months before having to cut off another piece from the pack, so I think I'll be set with the two packs I have for a looong time until I start wearing my own wet bun.

Oh & you make me want dimples :lol:

But I have some of my miami ripple hair I plan on using up :yep: I'm just going to cut a nice chunk, wash it, condition it, etc. and plop it on my head.

How are you pinning it on there?

Oh & you make me want dimples :lol:

But I have some of my miami ripple hair I plan on using up :yep: I'm just going to cut a nice chunk, wash it, condition it, etc. and plop it on my head.

How are you pinning it on there?

Oh, these dimples... :nono: Lol.
Anyway, all I did was cut off maybe 18" or so worth of track from the pack. I washed it and conditioned it with VO5 to activate the curls (it's wet n wavy hair), detangled, and let it dry on a couple of skirt hangers.
Then all I do is bobby pin the track going around my natural ponytail (not right on my ponytail but around the base at my crown, and I make the circle wider than my ponytail... sorry... that's kind of confusing). I usually only use about 5-6 bobby pins. Then I just twist it around until it's all covered, stretch an elastic over it to hold it in place, and pin any spots I think need extra reinforcement.
HTH!

I would like to join since I'm always in sew-ins and wigs, while i grow my natural hair out, can't post a pic since its in a sew-in right now.

Well, still experimenting with buns. I need to spice it up though, something different than this regular twist and bun. It's kind of boring now. :yawn:

Tomorrow is my wash day(hallelujah!) so I'm going to ATTEMPT to do some flat twists to hide under my wigs for the week.

Nothing really new but I did receive my new wig. Right now I prefer wigs over weave since it's hot and I could always take it off as oppose to a weave in which I can't.

I've had my hair in twist for the last week, I'm still waiting on my wig to come from BHS. I ordered on Monday, so if 's not here by the time the mail comes I'm going to email them and ask the status.

Is it too late to join? I did a BC end of June and now have pigtail braids. I plan on keeping it going on/off for next 2yrs.

Sent from my ADR6300 using ADR6300

Oiled the ends of my flexirod curls. I will do it again on Monday or tomorrow night if I please.

Set is starting to fluff a bit and get cuter :reddancer:

Wondering if I can make this set last the whole month :look:

Wearing a twist out for the weekend and then bunning all next week. Will deep condition next friday, then I want to do a new set of twists. I dont know when I will have time to do them though.

Sent from my HTC Evo

i ordered a bonnet drier and some bee mine serum i cant wait for it to get here so i can dc while in these braids i have washed them twice and i have about 1/4 in of new growth and they are a bit frizzy i want to redo them but they are so hard to get out if i can tuff it out for 3 weeks then i will get some kinky twist next

So I installed yesterday and I am going to redo the first few tracks for better blending
and btw sorry if you can tell whats mine and whats not, I was stupid and twisted my hair out of habit last night and had to be up early so I didnt fix it
WP_000613.jpg

WP_000605.jpg

WP_000606.jpg

Back