2011 Hide Your Hair Challenge Part 3 (July 1st - Dec. 31st)

I just posted my starting pics on the Starting Pics thread.

I have major shrinkage so plan on doing braid outs and pinning them up/putting into a bun. I also love beanie hats so i'm on the lookout for some cool thin ones and wear my bonnet underneath.

Why do my 'cornrows' end up looking like flat twists? :wallbash:

That's okay because these crochet braids are in to stay for the next 4 weeks.

I actually put some in yesterday, but they made my head look massive :look:

so...

I took them out and put some simple twisted ones in :grin:

It took an hour to take the curly hair out, and another hour to put the new ones in (in my mind that is a world record!)

This challenge is definitely right on time! I wasn't all that impressed with my hair length retention lately. It seems like I can't get the hang of my natural hair sometimes and other times I play in it way too much!

Anyway, I was sooooooooo planning on doing protective styles until Next Year anyway so... Halfwigs it is, then! I'll be sure to post pics when I can! HHG! :)

I shampooed my twists yesterday and put some coconut oil on them. Tonight I'm doing an overnight D/C. The twists are holding up ok. I've been wearing them up in a clip with a headband. They'll definitely make it until friday. I've been doing good with protecting my ends too. They really haven't been exposed at all in over a week. I think I'm going to bun next week and then do a new set of twists after that.

Sent from my HTC Evo

aefc59fe-ce17-35ee.jpg

Got my Creta wig today!!! I love her!! Tomorrow is my bday & I will be rocking her to dinner. I cut & thinned her out quite a bit but I'm in love!!!

I looked at Creta girl SO hard,but talked myself out of it since I had Evony already lol

Sent from my SPH-D700 using SPH-D700

My wet bun that I will be rocking until the weekend.

uploadfromtaptalk1309926410157.jpg

Sent from my SPH-M910 using SPH-M910

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1309926315609.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1309926315609.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 41
Have medium size twists in my hair. I trimmed my ends. Love fresh ends.:yep: Gonna get my hair in kinky twists in a couple of weeks. I need a break from hair.

I'm so excited. I just ordered my first bottle of Nioxin Recharging Supplements. I've heard that some people experience 2 inches of growth a month by taking two. I've checked the labels and its safe so I'm ready to maximize my growth.

On another note, I'm bored with this bun so come payday I will be looking for a cute curly wig...so far I'm considering the Sensationnel HZ-7065 or the outre quick weave in Evony. I just saw the Creta girl on Ms. A Sunshine and now I want that one too lol..

I just got a huge order of vitamins/supplements from CVS today (iron, B complex, omega 3) so I am hoping this will also help improve the condition of my hair from the inside. They were having a huge BOGO sale in that aisle for anyone that's interested btw. :)

Hoping for much better progress than I've gotten since last December. Hoping this challenge will get me to APL by this December!!

Count me in! This is my first official challenge even though I have been hiding my hair since January 4th of this year. I have been wearing full wigs with twists underneath. I have also substituted a wig cap for a satin bonnet to protect the moisture that I put in my hair in the morning and night :yep:

I also love the convenience of the full wig in that it allows me to have full access to my scalp when I want so it comes right off when I step through the door.

So right now I am dying my hair dark brown for my weave install.Before this I was previously a henna child but it did WAY to much damage to the pipes so five months later I am now dying my hair. I dont plan to redye it my hair is naturally brown and I will be in weaves from now til next spring(hopefully if I can stick to it).Anywhooo my install will be put in this Saturday it will be installed with a net and I am doing it myself. I will updating this post with picture of my kc weave as soon as it gets here.

So I tried a new cv. I like the hair it sheds though but im not worried because I am going to seal.

Played with it but its straight out the bag
WP_000596.jpg

WP_000597.jpg

Wet/w flash
WP_000598.jpg
WP_000599.jpg

Last edited:
Did my very first sock bun today - it looks good and for me it's proof that my hair is gaining in length. I left the fringe area out and twisted it to the side.

Been in my current install for the past 7wks, and I plan on keeping it until I hit 12wks(Mid August) but if I break down and take it down early it will be no earlier than at 10wks which will be the end of July.

Wig I'm currently wearing and will probably wear for the next month. It's a full wig but I'm wearing it as a half wig.

Attachments

• IMG00168-20110621-0849.jpg
    IMG00168-20110621-0849.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 27
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
This is where we check in and stuff, right?

If so...CHECKING IN!!

Washed my braids....wait--- let me back up.

OKAY!! So…on Monday night, I was lurking LHCF and ran across the Sulfur challenge. And BAMM!! recollection of my wanting to CONSISTENTLY incorporate sulfur into my mix rush over me. I’ve used it in the past and LOVED the way it made my scalp feel BUT!!! I hate the smell (sensitive nose??) and so does my s/o (poor baby). What to do…what to do??? As I read more, I saw that some ladies use sulfur, but wash out in the morn. I figured; why not add the sulfur to my hair the night before a wash day…problem solved for all. While I’m not using it every day or even every other day, I AM using it and for the in-between (wash) times, I can resort to using the spray (and baggy overnight), which doesn’t smell that bad at all. I’m hoping, this will benefit my hair in some way….but time will tell.

On to the story--- That same night, I applied the Sulfur 8 grease (in the jar) to my scalp, massaged (my scalp) for about 5 to 10 minutes and baggied overnight. Tuesday morning I was able to let it marinate in my braids all day until I washed it that afternoon. I co-washed with VO5 Tea Therapy (love this stuff!!) mixed with a little VO5 Moisture Milk- Strawberries and Cream (repeated twice). I then applied the SO Sexy Healthy & Hydrated Moisture Mask and let it sit on my braids for about 5 to 10 minutes. Rinsed and applied the So Sexy Healthy & Hydrated Conditioner and rinsed. MINI REVIEW:: I’m a little indifferent to the SO Sexy products---while I feel they smell great and work well with my hair, I can’t say that they do anything spectacular. BUT after the Sulfur 8, I HAD to have me some hair smell good….as I said that stuff REEKS!!

Once my braids were air dried about 85-95%, I moisturized and sealed using Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 followed by and a mixture of Olive, Almond, and Castor oil (giving the coconut oil a rest for a while). I typically pay close attention to where I know the ends of MY actual hair stop in the braid when doing this--- ESPECIALLY after a wash.

Long story short, I was able to use the sulfur, I washed my braids, and all is well in the smell department.

~S~

Disclaimer: I'm also in the 2011 APL Challenge, so you might see double posts from me. I will try to help this where possible, but sometimes the information I want to share is relevant to both challenges. Hope this is okay.

Last edited:
I've wanted this half wig for the longest time and had to order it offline since it was never in my BSS! Just got it today...

qw_nita.jpg

...BUT all that hair was way too big for my tiny head. I guess...I'm just not a fan of huge hair! I've seen other divas pull it off effortlessly, but if I turn to the side and all I can see is hair, it's just too much curl for me so...

I cut it...A LOT! :)

IMAG0126-vi.jpg

IMAG0128-vi.jpg

So what do you think? I'm certainly not a professional, but I think it turned out okay..lol

Oh yeah...since I'm natural, I have the hardest time blending my hair with any kind of weave or half wig because I'm super picky about the texture difference and whatnot, but I've started doing a cornrow along the edge of my hair and putting my halfwig right behind it. Then I put on a headband where they meet, and make sure my cornrow is smoothed down with Ecostyler gel, and it looks AMAZING! HHG!

Back