2010 Sulfur Challenge

where are you getting your surge ultra max cream from?

MSM cream is really common at places that sell vitamins (Vitamin Shoppe is where I got mine). I use an MSM/EMU oil cream.
Surge Ultra Max cream is another option for creamy sulfur options. I love that stuff. Its not oily/greasy at all.

where are you getting your surge ultra max cream from?

Blackhairspray.com

NOTE***Ladies, I ordered 6 jars the day before I posted this. But today I got a notice saying they were out of stock. I think this product is being discontinued. *sigh*
I guess I need to make the most out of the 3 jars I have left.

Last edited:
I won't be using the MTG, it's too stinky and loud for the summer. However my other oils, I'll won't give them up without a fight. LOL I'm addicted to oil.

I wear a ps most of the time so I don't mind. The only thing I'm worried about is when I work out. I sweat profusely. I try to jump straight in the shower to avoid breakouts on my body or a reaction from the sulfur.

Has anyone experienced any problem with the sulfur mixtures when it mixes with sweat and runs from working out?

Yes, I have. I actually have to wear a sweat band when I work out. Well, not really a real sweatband but a headband that I put around my forehead. Yes, it makes you sweat more but at least it keeps it off of my face. That sulfur irritates my face and turns it red. Luckily it doesn't last long but my skin definitely doesn't like it. I keep forgetting to go to Modells to get a real sweat band.

I apply Claudie's Elixir my entire scalp evenly. But the left side of my head grows faster than the right. More specifically, the left side of my crown. But that's because I prop my head up with my left hand a lot, and when I do I am massaging my scalp. That side just gets more attention than the right side. So look and see if you are somehow getting better circulation in those spots where your hair grows faster.

Interesting observation...I do prop my head up often but it's no where near my hair. I'm just going to have to apply to loose hair and massage in before I braid and see what happens.
Thanks for the feedback Ladies!

Just curious....now that warmer weather is approaching, are you all still going to use oil based sulfur applications? I find it hard to use oils in the summer because of the humidity and the heat (excess sweating and whatnot). Even the tiniest bit of oil seems to go from my scalp and hair, right to my face to cause extra nasty shine. breakouts, etc. I was thinking of switching to cream based sulfur preparations (MSM cream, Surge, etc). Does anyone else make seasonal adjustments?

I will continue with my oil mix because it's lite and absorbs pretty fast. I may switch my base oil from olive to jojoba oil since it's lighter and said to be the only oil that resembles the natural oil our scalp/skin produces. I only apply twice a week at night. By morning it is already absorbed. When I used MTG last summer my neck broke out in a rash of tiny bumps, between that and my S.O. telling me my hair smells like a BBQ :perplexed, I decided to make my own mix.
I always wear a bandanna around my head to catch sweat, although I must admit with the sulfur, heat( I work out in the park during the summer), and sweat my scalp gets super itchy!:blush: I try to refrain from scratching by massaging. I generally get the bulk of my hair growth during the summer anyways so the more stimulation my scalp gets the better:yep:.

Be careful with the MSM cream I tested the PH level and it has an alkaline PH(similar to a relaxer). You can always create your own with MSM or Sublime sulfur powder and your fav. hair cream.

Surge Ultra Max cream is another option for creamy sulfur options. I love that stuff. Its not oily/greasy at all.
Now you've got me curious about this...I'm trying to curb my product junkiness...

Last edited:
Yes, I have. I actually have to wear a sweat band when I work out. Well, not really a real sweatband but a headband that I put around my forehead. Yes, it makes you sweat more but at least it keeps it off of my face. That sulfur irritates my face and turns it red. Luckily it doesn't last long but my skin definitely doesn't like it. I keep forgetting to go to Modells to get a real sweat band.

Interesting observation...I do prop my head up often but it's no where near my hair. I'm just going to have to apply to loose hair and massage in before I braid and see what happens.
Thanks for the feedback Ladies!

I will continue with my oil mix because it's lite and absorbs pretty fast. I may switch my base oil from olive to jojoba oil since it's lighter and said to be the only oil that resembles the natural oil our scalp/skin produces. I only apply twice a week at night. By morning it is already absorbed. When I used MTG last summer my neck broke out in a rash of tiny bumps, between that and my S.O. telling me my hair smells like a BBQ :perplexed, I decided to make my own mix.
I always wear a bandanna around my head to catch sweat, although I must admit with the sulfur, heat( I work out in the park during the summer), and sweat my scalp gets super itchy!:blush: I try to refrain from scratching by massaging. I generally get the bulk of my hair growth during the summer anyways so the more stimulation my scalp gets the better:yep:.
Be careful with the MSM cream I tested the PH level and it has an alkaline PH(similar to a relaxer). You can always create your own with MSM or Sublime sulfur powder and your fav. hair cream.

Now you've got me curious about this...I'm trying to curb my product junkiness...

I need to invest in one of these.

I won't be using the MTG, it's too stinky and loud for the summer. However my other oils, I'll won't give them up without a fight. LOL I'm addicted to oil.

I wear a ps most of the time so I don't mind. The only thing I'm worried about is when I work out. I sweat profusely. I try to jump straight in the shower to avoid breakouts on my body or a reaction from the sulfur.

Has anyone experienced any problem with the sulfur mixtures when it mixes with sweat and runs from working out?

I workout in the evening and put my oils in after co-wash or in the evening like Shay it absorbs pretty good.

To those that use Sulfur 8, how do you use it, and what are your results? I tried a little on my sides,and crown and I got the crazy itches..... What do think of the ingredients?.. Thanks

I did a length check and from Feb to April I got 2" of growth which is average 1/2-1 a month. I'm using sulfur/castor oil and ceramides conditioners. I take multivitamin that definately don't have extra biotin or anything that would promote growth. I'm PS and not using heat.

Last edited:
To those that use Sulfur 8, how do you use it, and what are your results? I tried a little on my sides,and crown and I got the crazy itches..... What do think of the ingredients?.. Thanks

I used Sulfur 8 on my hairline only right after I washed it and I got the crazy itchies later that night only in the front where I applied it. I left the rest of my scalp dry because that is the day I flat-iron and didn't want to weigh it down yet. I never noticed before how much Sulfur 8 made it itch until I noticed that it only itched in that area.

By the way, I usually use my home-made Sulfur mix so the only time I use Sulfur 8 is for a quick application. I do believe Sulfur 8 works just as good but I just don't want its "grease-like" ingredients on my scalp.

I was just thinking that since I've been relaxing at about 6 weeks lately it's almost time to stop using my sulfur mix since I'm at 4 weeks post now.

I don't know if I'll make it past 6 weeks but I don't want to be unprepared just in case I'm in dire need of relaxing. I'm no longer stretching much longer than 6 weeks because I lose waaaay too much hair when I do.:nono:

Here's my question: Since Sulfur is bad to use the week or two before relaxing, what about castor oil and MN? Can I continue to use either of those? I hope so because I feel like I'm on a roll here LOL.

T.I.A.!!

I was just thinking that since I've been relaxing at about 6 weeks lately it's almost time to stop using my sulfur mix since I'm at 4 weeks post now.

I don't know if I'll make it past 6 weeks but I don't want to be unprepared just in case I'm in dire need of relaxing. I'm no longer stretching much longer than 6 weeks because I lose waaaay too much hair when I do.:nono:

Here's my question: Since Sulfur is bad to use the week or two before relaxing, what about castor oil and MN? Can I continue to use either of those? I hope so because I feel like I'm on a roll here LOL.

T.I.A.!!

I have used MN the week before a relaxer with no problems, maybe others can chime in with their experience.

I did a length check and from Feb to April I got 2" of growth which is average 1/2-1 a month. I'm using sulfur/castor oil and ceramides conditioners. I take multivitamin that definately don't have extra biotin or anything that would promote growth. I'm PS and not using heat.

Hang in there Itown, at least you are retaining length. Hopefully the summer months will help boost your growth even more.

I have my Claudie's Elixir now, will cowash and apply tonight, maybe adding some castor oil, depends on how it feels on my scalp.

Have dropped off taking my MSM over the past week or so because I went away, starting back with that internally tonight also.

Yay! I picked up a few thick terry spa-type headbands from Sally's. This will definitely keep any drips off my face and neck. It takes so little to make me happy. :grin:

Yay! I picked up a few thick terry spa-type headbands from Sally's. This will definitely keep any drips off my face and neck. It takes so little to make me happy. :grin:

I was wondering where I could find some of these. I might have to roll up up in Sally's tommorrow.

T.I.A.!!

Yes you can Hairsnob, as long as you don't scratch/scritch your scalp or add any stimulating essential oils to the mix before the relaxer, you should be fine.

By the way, my MN arrived in the mail today and I will probably be busy mixing up my sulfur concoction tomorrow:yep:. I can't wait.

well, it's been a while since i've posted, which is mostly because of that "M-T-G Scare" thread that i started. (thanks ladies for writing!)

but after reading VeePickni's post about the MSM, i realize that's something i can safely get back to right now.

i had stopped that, too, because i had started getting headaches, but found out it wasn't the culprit, so i'll start that again this week.

this trial and error thing is no joke!
but it keeps life full of discoveries.....!

well, it's been a while since i've posted, which is mostly because of that "M-T-G Scare" thread that i started. (thanks ladies for writing!)

but after reading VeePickni's post about the MSM, i realize that's something i can safely get back to right now.

i had stopped that, too, because i had started getting headaches, but found out it wasn't the culprit, so i'll start that again this week.

this trial and error thing is no joke!
but it keeps life full of discoveries.....!

I'm glad you decided to give it another chance. Trial and error is how we learn what works for us and what doesn't. Isn't it great to have a support team on this journey? Make sure you drink plenty of water while taking MSM. And get ready for a year of long healthy hair!

I'm glad you decided to give it another chance. Trial and error is how we learn what works for us and what doesn't. Isn't it great to have a support team on this journey? Make sure you drink plenty of water while taking MSM. And get ready for a year of long healthy hair!

It's WONDERFUL!! Ladies! Big group hug! :grouphug3:

i will post my starting pic in 2 weeks. i am using Madame CJ Walker's Scalp Ointment with sulfur. I moisturize with coconut oil. Her ointment has coconut oil also.

OK, I officially :love: this Claudie's stuff, I got the tropical scent and it smells divine!! It will be so great applying a growth aid that doesn't 'smell like Vicks' (friends in reference to rosemary oil mix) or and I quote 'infect my [nephew's] eyes' (peppermint oil mix) :lol:

OK, I officially :love: this Claudie's stuff, I got the tropical scent and it smells divine!! It will be so great applying a growth aid that doesn't 'smell like Vicks' (friends in reference to rosemary oil mix) or and I quote 'infect my [nephew's] eyes' (peppermint oil mix) :lol:

VeePickni, you've got the pj in me rearing its head to check this out!
especially since my "M-T-G Scare" has left me wondering which topical sulfur product i might work well with.

do you ladies happen to know a place online that sells this great smelling Claudie's Elixir?

thanks ladies, and again, Flowinglocks, NJoy, your support is much appreciated!:yep:

Back