12 steps to hair recovery

lwilliams1922

Today I was reflecting on how much I've learned in the few months I've been here on the board. For some reason i felt the need to make a confession....

I've used oil to flat iron my hair in the past.
90% of the time I did not use a heat protectant. I was not aware of the damage I was causing.

I didn't know that I should be wearing protective styles, adding moisture and sealing with oil.

Touchups every 6 weeks :(

ok. I feel better now that I shared that.

anyone else want to fess up (to some hair ignorance)?

12 steps to hair recovery​

1. We admitted we were powerless over our hair - that our lives had become victim to our hair troubles.

2. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to healthy hair.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our hair over to the care of God and the ladies of LHCF, BHM and Fotki friends.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of our hair.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs doings done against out hair.

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character damaging our hair and esteem.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings and torture to our hair.

8. Made a list of all exploits we had committed against our hair, and became willing to make amends and help others when possible.

9. Made direct amends to our hair wherever possible, providing deep conditioning and moisture learning the individual needs of our own hair.

10. Continued to take personal inventory of our regimen and when we went wrong, promptly admitted it and adjusted.

11. Sought though prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the hair he gave us.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others in search of healthy hair and to practice these principles in all our regimens.

Last edited:
Aw, this is nice. Girl, don't feel bad. No one has had a perfect HAIRstory.

As far as confessions, my general hair care practices were good, but what brought me here to LHCF was the use of direct heat EVERY DAY, sometimes multiple times per day. I loved curling irons and "big" hair. In general direct heat is not all that bad, IMO. I was just abusing it.

Girl....those 12 steps are a lot! lol

oh wow!! I have had some bad practices... Like washing my hair 1 time per month!! That sounds soooo gross now!! Also when I saw splits I would pull them off with my fingers instead of cutting.. uh duh....

Used heat 2/3 time a week (blowdrying first then ironing) with oil as a heat protectant.
Washed my hair once a week (good day) to once every two weeks.
Used to brush my hair every day.
Use oil or serum as moisturizer every day
DC once a month ok maybe twice a month
Forget about protective style

Hmmm lets see.

I would braid my hair in extensions. Relax right after taking them out and got back in braids the same day.

I would relax every month. Seriously overlapping every time!

Overlapping relaxers
not wrapping hair up at night
relaxing after taking braids out
Not properly moisturizing, didn't even know about sealing
Way too much heat!
This list could go on and on. Girl, you are not alone!

using heat to keep up my short cut like 3x a week, and touch ups every six weeks. And since i was so big on the health of my hair, I used to...............................................:look: TRIM, a lot, every six weeks (along with my relaxer). I thought I was "doin it big". LOL.

I forgot to mention combing my hair when it was dry.

And I remember vividly the shedding hair I swept from my bathroom floor.

EXACTLY what I did over a month ago and it WORKED. Didn't get the answers I WANTED from HIM, but hey, it's working miracles. Go figure.

I remember I had issues wraping my hair at night while I was dating. :ohwell:

Overlapping relaxers
not wrapping hair up at night
relaxing after taking braids out
Not properly moisturizing, didn't even know about sealing
Way too much heat!
This list could go on and on. Girl, you are not alone!

Back