12 Inches In 12 Months - 2016

Weekly protein definitely sounds like a lot, especially if you don't use heat.

I went for a long period not using any proper protein at all, and my finer 4b/c strands really paid for it. When I first actively started using it again about 10 months ago, I noticed the difference in my hair immediately. I used the same keratin conditioner I think with two week intervals for the following month.

Now I try to use some every 6 weeks (or when my hair tells me), but I also regularly use silk amino acids in my clay on wash day 1x- 2x a week. I've found a good balance so far.

I too have fine hair BUT my hair loves weekly protein. I haven't straightened my hair in at least two years.

Some find it helpful and I do helpful. I do balance it out with moisture DC during the week as well with no problems.

Thank you so much will try the once in 6 weeks route

But tell me, about the SAA : i read somewhere that the molecules are too small so although it penetrates the hair shaft it also as easily leaves and can be washed away. Is that true? Because that made me feel like oh well it's useless as a protein Rx

Before I used them, I also had the thought of them washing away:yep:. When I was reading about them, folks were using them in their leave-ins and whatnot. I don't use a leave-in, and when I started using SAA I don't think I was using conditioner- just clay and water rinsing. So added them to my clay and hoped that I wouldn't be washing any benefit away.

I notice a difference in my hair after the first use and SAA don't really build up either. My strands feel smooth and my hair retains moisture better. I've left them out and afyer a while, noticed when I could benefit from them. I'll leave them out if I use a protein condtioner but far as my hair goodies go, they are a staple.

Will put them on a 1 month trial and see...

Before I used them, I also had the thought of them washing away:yep:. When I was reading about them, folks were using them in their leave-ins and whatnot. I don't use a leave-in, and when I started using SAA I don't think I was using conditioner- just clay and water rinsing. So added them to my clay and hoped that I wouldn't be washing any benefit away.

I notice a difference in my hair after the first use and SAA don't really build up either. My strands feel smooth and my hair retains moisture better. I've left them out and afyer a while, noticed when I could benefit from them. I'll leave them out if I use a protein condtioner but far as my hair goodies go, they are a staple.
J

Still on my moisture recovery game...

CW : Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture ( have 3 and a half 25 oz bottles before it all comes tumbling down, mad af it's discounted!!)

DC : Joico MRB

Hair feels much better

Still on my moisture recovery game...

CW : Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture ( have 3 and a half 25 oz bottles before it all comes tumbling down, mad af it's discounted!!)
I'm upset about tresemme naturals, too. I stocked up at walgreens.com yesterday. They offered 20% off and free shipping.

Edit: walgreens.com has sold out.

Is it being discontinued????
I went to the store yesterday intending to stock up and they were nowhere to be found.
Yes it is. They replaced it with a similar line called botanique (botanical). Do a Google search. You might be able to find some. Or check supermarkets.

I washed my hair yesterday. I didn't feel like doing MHM, so I cleansed with Deva Curl conditioning cleanser and then applied tressume conditioner as my DC/Leavein. I have my hair in twists right now; which I will probably take down tonight and mostly likely bun my hair.

I went to Sally's today and stocked up on: WGHO, eco gel and processing caps. I wanna to try out a new conditioner or gel but I couldn't find anything that I liked at Sally's. I'll try Target. I've been wanting to try Botanical curls deep conditioner.

Tonight, I plan on taking my vitamin, massaging my scalp with WGHO and drinking some more water. We have a little over a month until our LC and I really want to gain/retain an inch.

oiled my scalp with castor oil mixed with a little grapeseed oil. just got done drinking my carrot juice. gonna drink my egg smoothie in a bit

Have been adding Organic Chlorella and Spirulina to my green smoothies in the morning. Mainly because I've been vegetarian since the new year and want to make extra sure I'm getting all my amino acids and vitamins. But of course I'm hoping for some positive effects on hair growth as well :cool2:

Last edited:
As for me today, I prepooed with Matrix Biolage Hydrasource with Aloeconitioning balm mixed with sunflower and palm oil and a dash of aloe jiuce.

It felt much better than it did last week. I suppose I can use it as a deep conditioner this way, but the prepoo is working swimmingly so why mess with a good thing?

I used Redken Time Reset shampoo (made my hair feel squeaky clean without feeling hard) and now I'm deep conditioning with Redken Time Reset Youth Revitalizer replenishing deep treatment for 20 minutes under hooded dryer.

This shampoo and treatment also have ceramides and camellia oil in them. I'm a little excited about that so we'll see how good it is for my hair once I'm done. I'm washing this out and finishing off with a palm oil rinse leaving some of it on my hair.

I'll be moisturizing with Redken Anti Snap leave in sealed with sunflower oil. That's me for my hair day.

Friday, I washed and deep conditioned.
Last night I oiled and retwisted.
Although, I always keep up with my supplements, I slacked last month with oiling and massage, so I'm gonna turn it up for this last month for the length check.
Sometimes it doesn't seem like I'm on track, but then it does.......Tendril-pull technique for intermittent length checks are kinda deceiving for me; nothing shows true length like a fresh flat-iron, so I'm intending to get a nice heat protectant in the meantime.
29 days to go!
Let's see what happens!

What do some of you ladies use for heat-protectant?

Took my vitamins
Drank my water

Co-washed with Body Shop Banana and Avo conditioner
DC'd with SM Manuka Honey

Scalp : JBCO
Leave-in : SM JBCO leave-in
Sealed with shea-butter

Glad I checked the forum today. Totally forgot about this month's IM session that begins tonight.

@Kells , for heat protectant my favs are: matrix sleek and Chi, iron guard.
The matrix sleek works really well. It not only is a great heat protectant but it works REALLY well preventing frizz from sweat and humidity.

Refreshed my twists with some Belnouvo Coco Castor Nectar and oiled my scalp with sapote oil. Currently secured with a locsoc for the night.

Friday, I washed and deep conditioned.
Last night I oiled and retwisted.
Although, I always keep up with my supplements, I slacked last month with oiling and massage, so I'm gonna turn it up for this last month for the length check.
Sometimes it doesn't seem like I'm on track, but then it does.......Tendril-pull technique for intermittent length checks are kinda deceiving for me; nothing shows true length like a fresh flat-iron, so I'm intending to get a nice heat protectant in the meantime.
29 days to go!
Let's see what happens!

What do some of you ladies use for heat-protectant?

Yikes, can't believe there is a length check in a few weeks. Time goes by quickly!

Drinking my waist length cocktail egg smoothie. this better help me get to an inch a month because it's nasty lol. I'm going to use this until the ingredients run out and depending on the growth I get I might switch to the beautifully bamboo tea

Finally got into a protective styling mode this weekend and braided. I could see where I was losing ground again by not protecting, especially in this winter weather.
I also washed and conditioned using Simply Organic's BCO shampoo and conditioner.
Still loving the Curl's Crème Brule as a leave in. My go to oils are grape seed oil, rosehip seed oil and black castor oil. Wearing a slap at the moment.

Completed last month's inversion as planned. Start again for this month, next week.
Got all the ingredients to do a seaweed hair pack, as a deep conditioning, either Saturday or Sunday.

Updating reggie ( trial and error).
My weekly regimen will be:

Dry Detangle with Oil Mix (Finger detangle/remove shed hair/ twist each section)
Pre-poo with AO GBP condish
Wash /Cowash (Deva No Poo/ Deva One Condition - depends on hair needs)
Deep condition (with heat) >>> Bought an ish-load of the new SheaMoisture DCs to play with. I only use their DCs.

Rinse
Wrap in microfiber towel for 10 minutes to absorb excess water

Separate hair in 4 sections.
Apply Avocado Oil
Apply Leave In (Oyin Hair Dew currently)
Apply Moisturizing Crème ( Marula-Muri Moisture Guru or Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Crème)
Cornrow
Wig it for 7 -10 days, repeat process.

Aphoghee 2 step - monthly

Apply my own version of NJoy's growth oil (nightly)
Apply baggie /GHE under silk scarf ( nightly)
Multivit and Biotin nightly
Wig daily

For reference, I have high porosity, spongy, frizzy, fine, high density 4a/3c hair.

Last edited:
I want to try this Goat Milk conditioner recipe. I have fine hair and the protein is making such a difference on my hair. I should have incorporated more protein years ago.

I need to reel my PJ in though! Maybe next month.

http://hairscapades.com/?s=goat+milk

DIY GOAT MILK & HONEY CONDITIONING HAIR MASK

Ingredients:

• 1/4 c. goat’s milk (2 ice cubes thawed*)
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • 1 tsp Vatika Oil (Virgin Coconut Oil can also be used)
  • 1/4 tsp guar gum (not only thickens mix, provides AMAZING slip!)
Directions:

1. Mix together goat’s milk, honey, EVOO, and Vatika Oil (I used a spoon, but a mixer or whisk could also be used).
  2. Slowly sprinkle guar gum into the mix while constantly stirring (“Slowly” is the operative word. If you dump the guar gum into the mix, you will get “cottage cheese” lumps, which can be difficult to rinse out of your hair.).
  3. Allow mixture to “hydrate” for 15-30 minutes (this is when it thickens).
  4. Pour conditioner into an applicator bottle (optional).
  5. Go for yours (massage into scalp and smooth through hair)!!
TIPS:

• Freeze milk into ice cubes to extend shelf-life and create convenient, “serving size” amounts that can be thawed quickly when ready to use.
  • If you don’t have your own personal “farm fresh” supplier ;), you can use store bought goat’s milk, including the powdered kind.
  • Add essential oils and/or herbal extracts that are beneficial for hair. I have been adding an eye dropper full of nettle leaf and marshmallow extract, both touted to have benefits for scalp heath and hair growth!
  • Not a mixtress, but still want to try this? Add goat milk to your regular/deep conditioner and let it do what it do ;)!
  • This recipe has no preservatives, so refrigerate any leftovers and use within a week. If you opt to add a preservative, still store the product in your refrigerator, not the bathroom, to extend shelf life.

Back