1 Year Natural Update:Texture Changes (Pic Heavy)

overtherainbow

So exactly one year ago I big chopped to this. I had roughly 4-5 inches of hair:
bc2.jpg
Here's pics of my hair now. Unfortunately I don't have any natural texture shots because I stretch my hair immediately after washing to avoid SSKs:
20140505_113223.jpg
20140507_144651.jpg
20140507_143656.jpg
View attachment 259715

As my hair grew, I noticed some ridiculous texture changes, that I'm assuming are from my curls being weighed down by what little length I have. I always had looser curly pieces here and there, but now they're becoming more apparent. At first I thought it was damage, but because the looser curls are uniform from root to tip, then I'm just assuming that's just my texture.:ohwell: Here's a pic of my usual could texture next to my looser one:

I completely adore my natural hair, despite the work that goes into it. I need to thank all of you ladies for your help, I would have never known how to care for my hair without you all :yep:

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to add that my overall texture became looser about 6 months after my big chop. For example, the front part of my hair had no curl pattern whatsoever and now it's about a 4b. I'm assuming this is just from improved hair practices and length.

Last edited:
Your hair looks awesome. I didn't know that texture changes after the BC so that's something i will be looking out for.

overtherainbow

Your hair is lovely! I have a crush on it!
Thanks! I have a crush on your hair too, I always admire your siggy.
Your hair looks awesome. I didn't know that texture changes after the BC so that's something i will be looking out for.
Thanks! I didn't know either, until my hair started to act and look different. Then I began to notice that a few Youtubers and hair bloggers experienced dramatic texture changes after a big chop.

Congrats on making it a yr!! My bangs have been natural for almost a year, and I'm just now starting to see some curl definition. When I first BC my bangs, they were just a frizzy mess, but now I have these cute litte riglets.

Congrats on your BC anniversary! You are just so adorable!
Thanks! I still can't believe it has been a year.
Congrats on making it a yr!! My bangs have been natural for almost a year, and I'm just now starting to see some curl definition. When I first BC my bangs, they were just a frizzy mess, but now I have these cute litte riglets.
Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one that experienced a change in curl pattern. At first I thought I was doing something wrong.

Your hair is beautiful! Are you complaining or is this just an overall observation?

My hair was a lot different when I first did the BC. I think that's normal and can happen to most of us. Your hair looks fantastic.

Great job OP!

Please share your reggie....

Thanks! I wash 1x a week with Shea Moisture Retention Shampoo, and condition with either a Giovanni conditioner or Renpure Argan Oil Conditioner for 15 minutes. Sometimes I'll branch out with other brands, but these are my favorite. Then I finger detangle and twist with SM Curl Enhancing smoothie, hair gel and seal with a heavy butter or oil. Once a month I'll clarify and deep condition for an hour. I use CD Rosemary Mint Clarifying Shampoo (Discontinued:sad:) and DC with Giovanni 2Chic Moist (green tube). Oh, and I micro-dust monthly in twists.

Your hair is beautiful! Are you complaining or is this just an overall observation?

My hair was a lot different when I first did the BC. I think that's normal and can happen to most of us. Your hair looks fantastic.
Thanks! No I'm not complaining, I was just pointing out that my curl pattern changed pretty much over night. I think I prefer my old curl pattern because it was easier to detangle, but I take what I can get:lol:

Your hair is lovely. How long did it take from BC to where you are today? Yes, this can happen for some but not everyone. I am also transitioning and I did a BC the other day which was hard. When my natural hair is long, I my hair ringlets pop in the front. Right now it is not that way which is a challenge. I am dying to pop some braids in for a year to get it to my desired length. My best friend chastised me for cutting it all off but in the past when I didn't the relaxed hair and natural hair merged and for fine hair that doesn't always look good and you don't know where to trim. I was already doing the crown and glory method but I did back to back extension braids which was not the best for my hair line and perimeter. Congrats on your journey.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Your hair is lovely. How long did it take from BC to where you are today? Yes, this can happen for some but not everyone. I am also transitioning and I did a BC the other day which was hard. When my natural hair is long, I my hair ringlets pop in the front. Right now it is not that way which is a challenge. I am dying to pop some braids in for a year to get it to my desired length. My best friend chastised me for cutting it all off but in the past when I didn't the relaxed hair and natural hair merged and for fine hair that doesn't always look good and you don't know where to trim. I was already doing the crown and glory method but I did back to back extension braids which was not the best for my hair line and perimeter. Congrats on your journey.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thanks! I transitioned for 11 months and big chopped this time last year. I never knew that this was normal thing, thanks for sharing your story:yep: Hmm.. I keep hearing about the crown and glory method, but I never looked it up.

Back