My hair texture IS changing

cocoberry10 said:
Okay, I'm taking a teaspoon a day also. Thanks for explaining how many mg's that is.:)

Well, 1 teaspoon = 2000 mg for the brand of MSM that I take. Different brands may have different potencies. Check the label for yours. It may list something different!:)

raeshan said:
Just wondering if the pill is as effective as the powder.
Can any other ladies chime in on this?

Don't think I wanna swallow msm, along with my liquid vitamins and fiber.

i've only taken the capsules, so i can't speak to the effectiveness of the powder...i am, however, attributing the change in the texture of my new growth to the msm, so i think at least my brand of msm capsules are effective...i got mine off of bestvite.com, btw...

alwayzalady22 said:
i've only taken the capsules, so i can't speak to the effectiveness of the powder...i am, however, attributing the change in the texture of my new growth to the msm, so i think at least my brand of msm capsules are effective...i got mine off of bestvite.com, btw...

thanks. I'll check out the site. how many capsules do you take per day?

Ok I just started taking Vitamin World brand MSM powder. 1/2 teaspoon=3000mg. That's the recommended daily serving and that's what I take and follow up with Vit C. Let me just say, I'm only on day 2 and I started getting the VIVID dreams that first night...and it occured again during my nap on day 2. First night I took it before bed, second day I took it during the afternoon.

Last edited:
My hair has changed from 3c to 3a mostly, but in the very front, it's about a 2ab now. I've been taking 2 capsules (2000mg) a day for about 4 months.

Ya'all are gonna make up hop on the MSM bandwagon again. *smh* I had gotten lazy and fallen off, but this thread is whetting my appetite again! :lol:

angellazette said:
Ok I just started taking Vitamin World brand MSM powder. 1/2 teaspoon=3000mg. That's the recommended daily serving and that's what I take and follow up with Vit C. Let me just say, I'm only on day 2 and I started getting the VIVID dreams that first night...and it occured again during my nap on day 2. First night I took it before bed, second day I took it during the afternoon.

I'm waiting on my damn vivid dreams:lol: shoot..maybe I should switch brands..shoot...:):p

The first two days were something else! lol but I haven't noticed anything else about the dreams BUT about a week after I started taking the powder, my cycle started and it realllllly snuck up on me. Usually I am having cramps galore, especially my first full day. While I still had cramps, it wasn't nearly as bad as before and I only had a few on the first day and none after that. So yeah, the MSM is doing something. Not too sure what it's doing for my hair yet.

tsmith said:
I'm waiting on my damn vivid dreams:lol: shoot..maybe I should switch brands..shoot...:):p
you and me both..maybe I need the flakes or something or maybe increase my dose

I'm taking only 1000mg of MSM but in pill form. I haven't noticed any change in texture so far. Been taking it for about 4 months. I didn't realize that so many people where taking such high dosages. I guess I could go as high as 3000mg comfortably. Great thread btw.:look:

silvergirl said:
i thought it only changes your new growth, how can it change hair thats already outside your body/

There was a post last year stating the same facts. From the thread that I read last year, it does somehow change the entire strand. :perplexed

Hidden_Angel said:
Watch it and test it first see if it works for you! It took me 5 months to figure out what DID and didn't work for me :) The MSM has its side effects though but drink lots of water

What are the side effects?

Super great thread!

Bumping for responses since I do feel "funny" sometimes, but I have definitely noticed softer, wavier new growth that actually LAYS DOWN (I am psyched!); I am just shy of 4 weeks post, but usually by this time, the NG is starting to get rough, and by 6 weeks, it's unbearable! :lol: I have been taking the pill form (Hair, Skin & Nail vitamins - Whole Foods brand) , 3 capsules a day, every day since late December, just shy of 1,000 mg a day.

Thanks!

raeshan said:
thanks. I'll check out the site. how many capsules do you take per day?

damn, i JUST saw this, so i apologize for not getting back to you! i've been taking 2 capsules since dec. 19, and on march 19 i'm thinking about upping it to 3, depending on how my 3 month comparison pics look....how long are you all waiting before you up your dosage, if you even up it at all?

I have been taking MSM for about 6 weeks an i can definately say my new growth is looser. But I think it gave me headaches its strange, i was taking 1000 in powder form but my head was heavy kinda, hard to describe. now ive cut my dosage by half and the headache is gone. i kinda think better now, no more drugged up feeling LOL
Anyone else have strange side effects?

I have been taking MSM for about 6 weeks an i can definately say my new growth is looser. But I think it gave me headaches its strange, i was taking 1000 in powder form but my head was heavy kinda, hard to describe. now ive cut my dosage by half and the headache is gone. i kinda think better now, no more drugged up feeling LOL
Anyone else have strange side effects?
I"m experiencing this headache as we speak. It's so weird. I hate it. BTW I'm taking 1/4 tsp of VItamin Shoppe MSM powder (its 1000mg). I drink atleast a liter of water a day (closer to 2). I HATE THIS DETOX STAGE!

What I have to say is really OT: I saw Soca Princess and it instantly made me think "Soca in ya so an' so" sorry, had a moment :spinning:

The Vitamin Shoppe has a "Pure MSM Powder" by Trimedica. When I do pick this up I'm going to do 2 intervals of 1/4 teaspoon (2000 mg) since the capsuls come in the same dosage. Hope I don't go crazy on this stuff...:lachen:

Back