Denman Brush Changes Your Texture

Pochantas was right. She had mentioned that when she uses the denman brush it changes her curls. I mostly used the denman brush to detangle my hair, it would shrink my curls up. This weekend I just finger combed my hair when conditioning washing. I got so many complements on my hair that day. The curls/coils seemed much looser and more like spiral curls. The next day I used a denman brush, I noticed a difference. Today I did the finger waved. My hair came out longer and had more of a looser curl.

I like the results I get without the brush. Just sharing
:yep:Yep. My curls are totally different w/o that brush. I have more waves than curls w/o the brush. I had been using the denman so long it tripped me out when I decided not to use it one day.....I was dealing with a totally different head of hair. I thought those perfect spirals were mine but w/o the brush my hair dosen't do that. I've been meaning to take comparison pics so I can show the difference but I've been too lazy. I love the definition from the brush but it definitely changes my texture.

A Denman does not change your hair texture, but it will make curls more uniform. A Denman is a wonderful tool.
Wait till you see my results (if my lazy butt ever takes pics). I stared in the mirror for like a half hour one day like who's hair is this, lol. In my experience it makes my hair curlier and tighter.

I'm not saying it's not a great tool because it is, most of the time I still use it.

I love my Denman! I have 4b c-nappish hair and could never get waves in my hair when I put it into ponytails. The brush gives me very visible waves.

Maybe my hair is still too short to realize the effects of it, but it works really well, IMO.

It detangles like a dream. I make sure my hair is fully loaded with conditioner before I use it. After detangling, I then rinse out the conditioner, then add a little more and proceed to shower. When i rinse, my curls look fine....the same as before w/out the Denman.

As of now, this brush is a keeper. I'm trying to eliminate as many knots as possible.

I'm confused. For those of you who see a difference in texture with the Denman, are you using it on wet or dry hair?

I never like how my hair comes out when I use the brush. I personally do not think that it is a good tool to use for a 4a natural if they want curls. Finger combing is better for a 4a (IMO)

co-sign. denman could not give me good curl definition. i tried the curlisto method (youtube it) and i got great results. with this method, you basically finger-comb hair with gel. i'm 4a natural, btw.

eta: i always use the denman on wet hair, most times it's full of conditioner. my hair will still shrink up and not define too well.

Last edited:
I doesn't change my curls, it increases Shrinkage...I learned that the Rake-n-Smooth Method (Curlisto) works just as well and it reduces shrinkage :grin:

I have used mine on wet hair with gel. I get nice fat coils. My hair coils up without using the brush naturally anyway, but they are way thicker when I do use it. I never had any prob with frizzies. I really like the brush, but I don't use it that much. It takes to much time, that I don't have to spare in the mornings.

it doesn't. i have a vid that shows me using it :yep:

i LOVE the Denman for detangling and for smoothing hair back, but the super-shrinkage it gives me is rather annoying. :perplexed i've found that if i detangle and do big coils after detangling a section, then when i finish my whole head go back and finger-comb each coil apart it helps fight that. but yeah, it's a PITA so i'm back to detangling every 2 weeks.

Watching your video is how I learned to use the brush and get the best looking curls. :yep:

I used the denman years ago, and did not like the results. I like my curl pattern and it definitely changed mine.

Hello,

I am glad you have a pic posted of your hair. I now know I am a "3 something". If I didn't know better I'd think you were me (hairwise).

Now that I have a visual (looking in the mirror at self just doesn't get it), I overstand and see why people tell me that my hair is beautiful.

Last edited:
I luv my Denman, for detangling purposes and for getting my hair pulled back into a ponytail. But it's definitely not something to use if you're wanting to wash-n-go. It un-clumps the curls.

I never like how my hair comes out when I use the brush. I personally do not think that it is a good tool to use for a 4a natural if they want curls. Finger combing is better for a 4a (IMO)

At first I thought I wasn't using it right since I heard such rave reviews about it, but then I saw that I was using it right with a ton of conditioner etc, and I still felt it was pulling my hair out (not just shedded hairs, but I was getting little pieces in the brush). To me, it felt very harsh on my hair.

I definitely prefer finger combing, or using another type of wide tooth comb.

I only use teh brush when I want to detangle.

I never used it as a styling tool.

If I want to wear my hair curly then I just wash n go.

Weather my curls are tight or loose doesn't really matter much to me when I do a wash n go.

How can a brush change your texture? Its just a brush. I mean, I would imagine my texture can look different if I use a brush, comb or just used my finger but I wouldn't necessarily say it changed my texture.

How can a brush change your texture? Its just a brush. I mean, I would imagine my texture can look different if I use a brush, comb or just used my finger but I wouldn't necessarily say it changed my texture.
Ok, I'm only gonna speak for myself here. With the denman my hair forms perfect tight corkscrew curls like a comb coil almost. W/O it most of my hair forms s-waves, no spiral at all. The curls are elongated and flat like a flat S shape...picture a snake slithering on the ground. I'm thinking the brush makes it spring up into a spiral coil shape. And of course the texture change I speak of is not a permanent one.....maybe this is where some of the confusion is coming in?

Basically, I meant what you posted. It changes the appearance of my hair. It is a difference in how my hair looks without the brush.

Ok, I'm only gonna speak for myself here. With the denman my hair forms perfect tight corkscrew curls like a comb coil almost. W/O it most of my hair forms s-waves, no spiral at all. The curls are elongated and flat like a flat S shape...picture a snake slithering on the ground. I'm thinking the brush makes it spring up into a spiral coil shape. And of course the texture change I speak of is not a permanent one.....maybe this is where some of the confusion is coming in?

yep, I didn't think about it much until you mentioned it on the board one day. I attributed to the products I was using. It is actually the brush which makes my hair shrink up even more. It is good for detangling and tighten up my hair line for puffs.

The denman clumps your hair with MAJOR shrinkage. I still only use mine to detangle. The ringlets I get are cute, but it's still poofy at the roots which just looks weird. Maybe when my hair gets longer I can use it more for styling.
This is my exact experience:yep:

My hair comes out a lot smoother, clumps differently, and my curls are more uniform with the Denman. Don't think my overall texture is different.

I have a question. What is all the hype about the Denman? I am not natural, but my kids are, of course. What is so different about Denman, from the next paddle brush or weave brush as they are often called?

Right.. I guess they are just talking about the smoothness and lack of frizz? Which I would agree the denman definitely does.

I dunno. I love my Denman. I use it while I'm washing. Its also great for distributing product through my hair. I usually use it to apply my deep conditioner. It ensures every strand is covered.

I have a question. What is all the hype about the Denman? I am not natural, but my kids are, of course. What is so different about Denman, from the next paddle brush or weave brush as they are often called?

I think everyone is referring to how your curls lump together with the demnan and how they would lump together naturally. Not a texture change.

I love my denman for detangling. it's the best.

for my curls? it just makes me look like a walking mop.
Shrinkage past my ears etc

I used a Denman the other day & my texture still isn't back to where it's supposed to be. It's too straight. My hair is 4A & it's really soft. I detangled while washing with the Denman and I also used it to get the conditioner through my hair. But apparently I used it too much. There's some curl but my coils are few & far in between. I might CW & see about getting some of these coils back. Sheesh.

Back